THE Auction scene was the last thing Walt saw

ie1521

Earning My Ears
I wish you would have had Michael on the show this week as he is your Disney Historian. The Auction scene was the last and only part of the ride that Walt was able to see completed. The auctioneer was the only pirate in pirates of the Caribbean that Walt got to see in its complete form. Please watch this and start at minute 55 and then ask youself if you still feel the same way

Last edited:

The Disney parks are not museums they can change them if they see fit to and they don't have to justify the changes to anyone no matter how many times they have visited. Also online petitions no matter how many "signatures" they may have are generally ignored by companies like Disney due to the fact that anyone can sign it with any name they want. For example when there was one to save the adventurers club there were about 10 or 20 Indiana Jones and a few Obi Won Kenobi's on the list.

Yep. Walt has been dead for 51 years, and while there should always be a reverence for his groundbreaking ideas and business brilliance, the parks aren't a museum.

People are certainly allowed to feel however they want about this, but I can't imagine being upset about one scene in one attraction in one theme park.

I think this is an incredible bit of history Michael has given us, and thanks OP for showing those of us who don't listen to the Disneyland show. I'm a zealot when it comes to Walt, I'll admit. For example, he said Carousel of Progress should never cease operation... and that's enough for me to support keeping that attraction open forever, no matter what changes in Tomorrowland. I think The Enchanted Tikki Room is boring as all get out (after the classic song of course), but I would never want to see it go away because it's Walt's... it's one of the few attractions that he touched and had a direct impact in its creation.

For the auction scene to have been the very last thing Walt ever saw in relation to his parks makes me believe even more strongly that it's wrong to take it out. Listen to how Walt talks about the ride; the pride in his voice. This is special. This is the very last part of the last attraction Walt oversaw. This is peak Disney history. And as someone who cares about Disney history, that pretty much makes it sacrosanct for me.

Pirates has already been changed though. That's the part of the preservation argument I don't get. If this was an untouched ride, I'd understand the outrage better, but for me, the "defilement" happened when they "updated" the ride with Sparrow.

Still don't feel different though. Walt was a product of his time.

I understand the argument of it not being a museum (trust me I have used that argument many times about how bad Jungle Cruise needs an overhaul) but this was the first scene done and the last one that Walt was able to see and approve. I think that the revisionist history is getting out of hand with some people. Pirates are not suppose to be likable and this was such a classic scene.

I've never been to DL (planning a trip next summer) so I have no strong feelings on the issue, but if it were really such an iconic scene, I feel as though it is being done a disservice with the removal. I willfully admit to bias as I have strong opinions on the PC police running amok. And I get that humans are still sold into slavery/sex trade today. But there comes a slippery slope with things like this. Should the Hook-croc scene be removed from Peter Pan? It's been just 13 months since a child was killed by an alligator ON Disney property. I'm sure that scene would cause much distress to that family or any other family that has had a similar event in the past. Again, it's not going to stop me from going to Disney; just playing devil's advocate.

If you start at 46:25 you can hear the quote that encapsulates this entire issue/debate/argument:

"People love the idea of the booze and the guns and the, you know, its everybody's secret desire. And when, like when they made it quote "politically correct" .. you can't make it politically correct, you'd have to take everything out of it, so ... you just make it to a certain extent, you know .. it wasn't really politically correct."

(I just listened and typed.)

I fail to see how that changes anything. Walt was no saint. Walt ran a company that wouldn't allow women to become animators. I really don't give a hoot what Walt would have thought about women's issues.

I fail to see how that changes anything. Walt was no saint. Walt ran a company that wouldn't allow women to become animators. I really don't give a hoot what Walt would have thought about women's issues.

Well... let's not lie:

"more women by percentage worked in non-ink and paint artistic positions at the Disney Studios while Walt was alive than any other animation studio in the world.

For the record, here are some specific names of just some of the women who worked in creative animation positions:

Animators: Retta Scott (Scott was the first Disney woman animator to ever receive a screen credit for her work. It was on Bambi. She joined the story department in 1938, the same year as that standard form letter, and was made an animator when Bambi went into production), Mildred Rossi

Art Direction: Mary Blair

Visual Development: Sylvia Moberly-Holland

Assistant Direction: Bea Selck

Story: Bianca Majolie, Sterling Sturtevant

Character Modelling: Lorna Soderstrom, Fini Rudiger

Background Painting: Thelma Witmer, Ethel Kulsar

Promotional Art and Advertising: Gyo Fujikawa

Assistant animators and In-betweeners: Freddie Blackburn, Elinor Fallberg, Mary Schuster, Grace Stanzell, Lois Blunquist, Elizabeth Case, Retta Davidson, Eva Schneider, Dolores Apodaca, Bea Tomargo, Jane Shattuck, Sylvia Frye, Nancy Stapp, Ruth Kissane, Janice Kenworthy

As an example, Retta Davidson was hired in July 1939 when she was only 17 years old. She did special-effects painting of fire, water and bubbles on animated features like Bambi and Fantasia.

In 1941, women who worked in the Ink and Paint Department were invited to submit drawings of Donald Duck in order to be considered for jobs in the Animation Department. Retta and nine other women were chosen to be trained as in-betweeners and background artists. This opportunity never happened at any other animation studio."

All from Disney historian Jim Korkis:https://www.mouseplanet.com/10606/Debunking_Meryl_Streep_Part_Two

Great point Tonyz. Walt also ran the ink and paint department with all women not because it was a lower position but because he felt that women were simply better at proper color identification and color perception than men.

I also don't feel this is a woman's issue. It's a pirate issue. Pirates are bad guys. Next they are going to have to remove all the rum jugs because it's insensitive to alcoholics.

If it wasn't for the fact that this was the last thing he saw on the last attraction he oversaw completely I could easily let this go. But it was

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!