The Animation genre - B&B vs Frozen

Bluegrrl

DIS Veteran
First, I'm a Frostbiter - can't stand that movie.

Ok, with that out of the way, I wondering about people think about the "animation genre" term.
Specifically because of a few things. When Beauty & Beast came out it was nominated for best pic, namely because it was a great movie. This then lead to a specific Oscar being created for animated movies and creating an almost "getto" for these movies.
While watching The Incredibles commentary, Brad Bird mentioned how much he hated the term "animation genre". Meaning he thought animation isn't a genre, but rather the way a movie is filmed. Genres are comedies, westerns, dramas, etc. Animation is the way it's coveyed.
So, that being said, could Frozen be held up against B&B? What about the Oscar noms this year like B&B was? Is it fair to lump movies like Frozen (musical drama) against documentary styles like miyasaki or comedies like Despical Me 2?
Do you consider Animation a genre even though it has many different forms or is it just a different way of filming many genres of films/scripts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter