The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

Nice underwater pictures!

At first I thought your fish was Mahi Mahi and I was like "yum!" and then you said salmon and I went :sad2: and then I looked closer and saw that the salad was covered in olive juice. Blech. I'm assuming they had stuff like burgers and dogs for those with simpler palates?

Huh! 3 months is a bit of time, but maybe it'll just take more to get that healthy skin back. Maybe a multi with extra B, C and E? I've not heard of Curcumin before... but will look it up. :)

The product name is Curamin, but the active ingredient is derived from Tumeric.

Nice underwater pictures!

At first I thought your fish was Mahi Mahi and I was like "yum!" and then you said salmon and I went :sad2: and then I looked closer and saw that the salad was covered in olive juice. Blech. I'm assuming they had stuff like burgers and dogs for those with simpler palates?
Oh yes, for sure. Burgers, chicken strips, hot dogs, a few different salads, etc...

I went with salad to... well, without getting into too much TMI... salad helps with vacation tummy. :crazy2:

The product name is Curamin, but the active ingredient is derived from Tumeric.
I wondered if it was herbal including Cumin as well. I have had loads of patients who take tumeric. Do you find it works for pain well? Fewer S/Es than the opioids?

After my delightful swim with the percoids,

Hey, hey, hey! Don't let the dolphin trainers hear you say that, or you'll be banished from the park.
(Or give you a very long lecture about mammals vs fish)

I carefully chose my perch that would serve to recline my lazy carcass in between dips, laid out my towel, and headed off with mask and snorkel to the warm lagoon.

Lazy carcass.... but I'm going to go swim vigorously 3 times!

The crowds were not horrible and there was plenty of room to roam, but it was decidedly busier than an hour before.

What? You mean when you illegally tried to enter the closed lagoon?

Each time I took a little breather (yes, I do know how to use a snorkel and was breathing in the water too)

:laughing:
I was thinking you'd say "Each time I took a little breather, I'd sputter and choke on water."

I particularly enjoyed the plantain chips, but all kinds of chips, nuts, fruit, granola bars, ice cream, and other snacks were available at several locations throughout the park.

Nice! Except plantain chips sounds... well, not pleasant and barely edible. I could be wrong.

I know there are quite a few and limiting them to the best outtakes took some doing, so enjoy!

I did! The shot of the two rays is incredible!

I found these two planning a bust out and distinctly heard them using the Orca dialect. I hope they make it.

:lmao:

Moorish idols. My favourite (i.e. I think they're pretty) fish.

:eek: They let people swim with black tip reef sharks? I'm shocked. They must really feed them well.

Fish are friends, unless they are lunch. Speaking of which, well… this happened. Oopsies.

It was NOT 8 Spoons Mac and Cheese.

Had to Google that. Ah yes. Your favourite place in AK. :)

While my swims with aquatica were indeed incredible, it was not my favorite part of the day.

Still not???? Now I'm really curious!

Hello! Back from Neverland. So sorry to be MIA again. I was having trouble commenting with my old Tab, so I have a new Kindle 10. Seems to work. (nope, lost my place and had to get up and come to my laptop to finish this) I went to Disneyland Dec 16 for some training and fun, coming home just in time to catch up on work, celebrate Christmas, and head to San Antonio for New Years. Not to mention getting stranded in SFO and lost then damaged luggage along the way. I cannot lie, it is nice to be home and getting back to routine.
I hope the injections have helped your neck. I got one in my knee from our NP while checking in to the office. Nope, she didn't do it right. Really wish my ortho would have been available. We have been taking something called Vital 3 and it helps alot. something about chondroitin and messaging your joint not to respond to inflammation from what I read. Not sure why, but it works!

loving your Discovery Cove day! We heard of this from our Aunt back in the 90s. I think it was $75 . I have had this day On my radar, but not something we can afford with the kiddos. I love dolphins! So cool you got to swim with one. My favorite dolphin story is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. Okay, maybe this is my only dolphin story, but this book made me fall in love with dolphins. Not to mention Skipper! Now everyone knows how very ancient I am! Looking forward to more of your day. As always your photos are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

Last edited:
Hey, hey, hey! Don't let the dolphin trainers hear you say that, or you'll be banished from the park.
(Or give you a very long lecture about mammals vs fish)

You know what? When I googled I thought it didn't seem right, but it said "related to dolphins". Maybe dolphins in the Ozarks who've intermarried a few too many times with seabass.

Nevertheless, I went with it, and you'll have to excuse my loose use of a sorta synonym. ;)

Lazy carcass.... but I'm going to go swim vigorously 3 times!

Well, yeah. Except for that. :laughing:

What? You mean when you illegally tried to enter the closed lagoon?

Yes, that time. :rolleyes2

I was thinking you'd say "Each time I took a little breather, I'd sputter and choke on water."

:rotfl2:

I am not one of those who knows really how to go underwater with the snorkel and, truth be told, I'm a little afraid to learn. Yes, I'm a big baby. I'm happy on top and can see enough to make me happy from up there. :)

Nice! Except plantain chips sounds... well, not pleasant and barely edible. I could be wrong.

NO, they're great! Crunchy, salty; I really like them. Kinda like a potato chip, but a little different? Thicker cut?? Just a different treat.

I did! The shot of the two rays is incredible!

Thanks! It's the only one that didn't have the green hue to it like all the others. Not sure why, but there ya go.

Moorish idols. My favourite (i.e. I think they're pretty) fish.

Pretty crafty, you mean. :lmao:

I mean, what fish would figure out how to use the pipes to make a break?

:eek: They let people swim with black tip reef sharks? I'm shocked. They must really feed them well.

I was pretty stoked to see them in there as well.

If the misbehaving kids managed to get out of the lockers, they had these guys handy.

Had to Google that. Ah yes. Your favourite place in AK. :)

It is DELICIOUS!!!! I need some more.

Still not???? Now I'm really curious!

Remember that whole bit about "lazy carcass"....?

Hello! Back from Neverland. So sorry to be MIA again. I was having trouble commenting with my old Tzb, so I have a new Kindle 10. Seems to work. (nope, lost my place and had to get up and come to my laptop to finish this) I went to Disneyland Dec 16 for some training and fun, coming home just in time to catch up on work, celebrate Christmas, and head to San Antonio for New Years. Not to mention getting stranded in SFO and lost then damaged luggage along the way. I cannot lie, it is nice to be home and getting back to routine.

WOW!! Tammie! You're back!

I have missed you around here, but have seen some of your travels and fun on FB. You are one busy gal, but I know the feeling of getting home and having some semblance of routine again.

I hope the injections have helped your neck. I got one in my knee from our NP while checking in to the office. Nope, she didn't do it right. Really wish my ortho would have been available. We have been taking something called Vital 3 and it helps alot. something about chondroitin and messaging your joint not to respond to inflammation from what I read. Not sure why, but it works!

Sadly, so far, it's not really working. I'll give it some more time, but so far not.

Glad to hear you've found something that is working for you! Getting old stinks!

loving your Discovery Cove day! We heard of this from our Aunt back in the 90s. I think it was $75 . I have had this day On my rzdar, but not something we can afford with the kiddos. I love dolphins! So cool you got to swim with one. My favorite dolphin story is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. Okay, maybe this is my only dolphin story, but this book made me fall in love with dolphins. Not to mention Skipper! Now everyone knows hold very ancietnt I am! Looking forward to more of your day. As always your photos are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

I agree, with kids it'd be a touch pill to swallow price-wise. I think it's best for a couple of adults or for solo travelers. I remember that story as well and adored it as a 5th grader when we had to read it for class. Loved it!

More coming up soon....

W is for: Wonderful, Wet, Watery World- Pt. 3, The Finale

It’s amazing how productive a day off can be! Looky here, not one but 2 chapters posted, AND a PTR started. The fact that I am using writing as a perfectly acceptable excuse to not clean my bathroom or study has absolutely nothing to do with it, I assure you. :rolleyes1

So, here we are... the final chapter of my Day Somewhere Beyond the Sea. In case you need this again for some mood music:

I’d spent plenty of time with the creatures of the shallows, but now it was time to have some completely mindless activity. Remembering to breathe though a tube while my face was underwater was altogether taxing and exhausting. After lunch, I changed out of my wetsuit and back into my own swimwear, miraculously managed to emerge from the locker room with it on correctly, donned a lifejacket (required), grabbed a noodle, and padded off over the soft white sand to one of the several lazy river entrances.

The water was warm and the current was just right to give you a gentle push along the tropical waterway. The entire length of the River is just gorgeous with plenty of water features, flowers, hardscaping, etc…. to make for an amazing experience. Since it was open now, the lifeguards were no longer paying attention. See ^?

The depths range from 3- 15 feet and there are places if you did want to get off your noodle you could paddle along or just sit. There are loads of little scenic spots to pull over and just rest. Some have sand nearby that you could find a chair to sit in, grab a drink or snack, and then continue on your way. It was bliss! Easily, this was my favorite part of my day. All of my cares were gone, I could truly relax and find peace and solitude. Ahhh…..

At one point you float through the Aviary. The barrier to keep the birds in is a waterfall that is pretty awesome. Disney, apparently, does not have a corner on the backside-of-water market.

In all it might take 30 minutes to float its length, but I stretched it closer to 45 minutes to an hour making a few stops for photos along the way. I was happy that the weather was so utterly perfect for my Day Somewhere Beyond the Sea- temps were warm and the skies were blue.

After my relaxing float around the park, it was time to dry off and find the Aviary. If you’ve been on my Trip Reports long enough, you know that I adore birds, so I was anxious to spend a little time feeding my little feathered friends. There, in fact, is not one, but 3 separate areas with different species of birds. As you enter there is a little station where you can pick up a little paper cup of mixed cut up fruit and nuts to hold up for the birds to come to you to eat from. And they did too! It was fun making my way to each area and see the beautiful birds. Some were more friendly than others, but with some patience and practicing stillness, I had some pretty good luck in coaxing a few to my arm.

****Pay no attention to the skinny girl hiding behind the jiggly arm curtain.

Having gotten my bird fix, my time Somewhere Beyond the Sea was winding down and I had a bit more lazing to do. So I found a small alcove where there was a snack/drink kiosk nearby, grabbed a glass of decidedly mediocre wine, found a bench submerged in the water, and plopped the aforementioned lazy carcass down on it. I put my head back and closed my eyes. Do I paint a nice picture? I hope so. It was an extraordinary day full of adventure, beauty, with the perfect amount of relaxation in the mix. I feel I got every penny’s worth of my time and would easily do this again.

But, all good things must come to an end and I had an ADR to get to. I ordered up my Uber, hit the clean locker room, used the complimentary shampoo and blow dryers, emptied my locker and went to the kiosk where my photos from the day were waiting for me to pick out and spend anywhere from $30-$30 million. I think I spent around $50 or so for the 4 photos I bought. I knew that was coming, so was mentally prepared for the sticker shock. After that, they bilked me for a little more when I bought a pin for my collection in the gift shop.

And that was my Wonderful, Wet, Watery Day at Discovery Cove- Somewhere Beyond the Sea.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a blissfully relaxed and enjoyable day at Discovery Cove. The park sounds like a hidden gem away from Disney, and I now have some spare change squirreled away for my Nov. trip to try and make a visit happen. So far, I'm up to two experiences I want to do having read about them on your report. :laughing:

Hopping over to your PTR next. I cannot wait to see how much fun you girls have in May. :goodvibes

Ooh, good recommendation! Assuming I still haven't worked any gluten back into my diet by then, I'll make sure to pass this along to Nathan. He loves a good flatbread :)

We enjoyed our brunch very much, but mostly for the self-serve selections and atmosphere, and not as much for the entrees. Nathan tried their take on chicken and waffles, which he said was very good, but he also tried an omelette that was downright terrible. My steak and eggs were just okay...I've had far better $30 steaks and my eggs were overcooked, and there aren't that many other options for me there for entrees with my current dietary restrictions. I can't drink, and Nathan drinks very little, 1-2 drinks max in one sitting, so the bottomless mimosas are a little lost on us. I also had a really lousy allergy chef who couldn't seem to keep my dietary restrictions straight, and he ended up telling me that some things were safe that actually weren't. (However, our server was AWESOME, and she even checked his work with the other chefs/line cooks to make sure he didn't give me bad information!) Even with that in mind, and even with the price, we'd still definitely go back. Everything else was top notch. But we keep looking for new Disney experiences on each trip to keep things fresh and exciting, and we've never done dinner there, so it seems like the thing to do. And I don't think I have the dolla bills or the time in our schedule to fit in both meals.

Sorry your steak was just okay. I had steak and eggs and it was one.of the best steaks I've had...on par with the steak I had at Tiffins. We (DDCC7) went (well I was supposed to) again yesterday. Had I been able to go again, I definitely was going back to the steak. The sausage was meh, the bacon was good, but not the best by any means. I'm not a big fish fan and raw fish, just no. I don't drink much either so the mimosas weren't a draw for me. When I went I didn't see any mimosas, per se...champagne with boba balls. If they had OJ in them, it was May be a drop or two.

I just looked up discovery cove. It's near 528 (main toll road called the beachline) and International drive. Should be no more than a 15 min drive from anywhere on property. During morning rush hour, maybe 25. Very close to sea world.

Quick Orlando layout info

I4 says East and West, but through Orlando, East is North and West is South.
There are three main E/W arteries
408 is through downtown/heart of Orlando
528 is middle and goes North of MCO
517 is bottom(South) and near Disney and goes South of MCO.
DME takes 417 from Disney to airport and vice versa.

So, to Discovery cove, it's maybe 4 miles from DTD.

You know what? When I googled I thought it didn't seem right, but it said "related to dolphins". Maybe dolphins in the Ozarks who've intermarried a few too many times with seabass.

Nevertheless, I went with it, and you'll have to excuse my loose use of a sorta synonym. ;)

Yes, that time. :rolleyes2

:rotfl2:

I am not one of those who knows really how to go underwater with the snorkel and, truth be told, I'm a little afraid to learn. Yes, I'm a big baby. I'm happy on top and can see enough to make me happy from up there. :)
I'd be happy to teach you...its easy. In a closed cove like that with plenty of people and life guards is the perfect place to learn also.

Not to over simplify, but something I've helped many folks with. The key to snorkeling...

Inhale slowly, exhale fast!
If you do have any water in the snorkel, doing both keeps it out of your lungs.

and the bodies that occasionally crossed my path didn't bother me at all.
Good to hear. So no bodies clad in banana hammocks or budgie smugglers, I presume?

Gliding beneath me were rays, sharks, a huge variety of tropical fish, and the occasional humanoid. But, as warm as the water was, I did explore in chunks.
I'm really amazed by Discovery Cove. I had no idea all this - swimming with tropical fish, lazy rivers, birds - was part of it. I guess I really never looked far into it (because $$$$) but I had just assumed they charged you a crazy amount to jump in a tank, get a picture with the dolphin, and be on your way. As much as I like the Disney parks, having a blissful day of relaxation, in such wonderful scenery, sounds like a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. As we've discussed, probably not for a family trip, but certainly I should consider it for a solo or adults only trip.

I chose salmon, salad, and a bit of mac-n-cheese only to see what it tasted like. It was NOT 8 Spoons Mac and Cheese.
Being a lover of mac n cheese, I will always try any that I see. It certainly does not look like 8 Spoons.

Ah! Well, I knew you must've had some porpoise for using it.

I am not one of those who knows really how to go underwater with the snorkel and, truth be told, I'm a little afraid to learn. Yes, I'm a big baby.

I've been doing it so long that it's literally second nature for me. But I can see how it'd be a bit disconcerting too.

I'm happy on top and can see enough to make me happy from up there. :)

That's what she said!

:lmao: :rotfl:

NO, they're great! Crunchy, salty; I really like them. Kinda like a potato chip, but a little different? Thicker cut?? Just a different treat.

Hmmm... Well, I'd give 'em a try, then.

Thanks! It's the only one that didn't have the green hue to it like all the others. Not sure why, but there ya go.

Huh. Odd. :confused3

Pretty crafty, you mean. :lmao:

I mean, what fish would figure out how to use the pipes to make a break?

I was pretty stoked to see them in there as well.

If the misbehaving kids managed to get out of the lockers, they had these guys handy.

Good point!

It is DELICIOUS!!!! I need some more.

:laughing: Well, go have some more in May, then. :)

Remember that whole bit about "lazy carcass"....?

Looks like I'm about to find out. :)

not one but 2 chapters posted

:faint:

The fact that I am using writing as a perfectly acceptable excuse to not clean my bathroom or study has absolutely nothing to do with it, I assure you. :rolleyes1

Your mess is our gain. :)

Remembering to breathe though a tube while my face was underwater was altogether taxing and exhausting.

Oh, you poor thing. If only there was something you could do to relax and regain your strength!

:rolleyes:

After lunch, I changed out of my wetsuit and back into my own swimwear, miraculously managed to emerge from the locker room with it on correctly,

I'm thinking if you put your bathing suit on backwards, you'd get a lot more attention than just a backwards wet suit!

grabbed a noodle

That too would garner some attention!

Wow! That's... just... wow!

Since it was open now, the lifeguards were no longer paying attention. See ^?

I didn't even notice him at first. Probably on his phone. Or... wondering how he's going to stay awake? (or maybe he'd already failed, there.)

The depths range from 3- 15 feet

15 feet!!! Holy cow! No wonder they insist on life jackets!

grab a drink or snack

They had drinks and snacks along the way? Whoa! Now that's pretty darned amazing! Float a bit... snack a bit... float a bit more. Nice.

It was bliss! Easily, this was my favorite part of my day. All of my cares were gone, I could truly relax and find peace and solitude. Ahhh…..

:goodvibes

So glad you enjoyed yourself so much doing that.

Awwww... you look pleased as punch. :)

Disney, apparently, does not have a corner on the backside-of-water market.

:laughing: No, they certainly do not.

I was happy that the weather was so utterly perfect for my Day Somewhere Beyond the Sea- temps were warm and the skies were blue.

:) Glad to hear. Suspect a rain storm would not be welcome.

As you enter there is a little station where you can pick up a little paper cup of mixed cut up fruit and nuts to hold up for the birds to come to you to eat from.

Really! Cool!

Looks like you met some friends, there. :goodvibes

So I found a small alcove where there was a snack/drink kiosk nearby, grabbed a glass of decidedly mediocre wine, found a bench submerged in the water, and plopped the aforementioned lazy carcass down on it. I put my head back and closed my eyes. Do I paint a nice picture? I hope so.

Yes, you do. :) Except possibly for the mediocre wine.

I feel I got every penny’s worth of my time and would easily do this again.

High praise indeed. Thanks for letting us know all about it!

my photos from the day were waiting for me to pick out and spend anywhere from $30-$30 million.

Somehow... I don't think you're exaggerating.

I think I spent around $50 or so for the 4 photos I bought.

:faint:
Highway robbery. But they know they have a captive audience.

After that, they bilked me for a little more when I bought a pin for my collection in the gift shop.

I shudder to think how much that was. Did you return to Disney with both arms and both legs?

Inhale slowly, exhale fast!
If you do have any water in the snorkel, doing both keeps it out of your lungs.

Now that is very good advice! I've done it for so long that I don't think how I do it. I don't choke, because it's second nature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter