The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

First of all, welcome back! Jill nailed it, what a dichotomy of experiences you must have had! I'm excited to read all about both trips.

Thanks, Alison! It's soooooo good to be back among good friends. This is a happy place for me for sure. Yes, very much. Disney was amazing in every way possible- loads of comforts and ease and good food. Africa was... not. Did I "enjoy" both? YES! 100% yes. But the "enjoyment" took on very different meanings for sure.

I will admit that I prefer the chronological telling of tales and I'm glad you'll be taking this approach with the Africa portion. I am definitely interested in both parts, but I imagine that the Africa chapters will not only be emotional, but very eye opening as well. I can't even imagine the levels of poverty in which these people live.

Photo editing will take a bit of time and the writing perhaps even moreso, as some topics are going to be tough to put into words. But I will get there and we'll all journey it together and discuss. As for the poverty/conditions: .... think National Geographic primitive. ;)

I couldn't see the pictures in your post, but I could see them in @pkondz quote. That was a huge contrast and I can't even imagine what it was like spending time there.

Well, I hope through my words and photos you will have a MUCH better idea of what it was like. :)

Of course we know you're not doing this for praise or other such accolades, but we're happy you want to share this experience with us. And yes people will praise for your work, because you've just done something that most people would never consider, much less actually do it!

To be very honest, I have wanted to go to Africa for decades, but this way I could go AND find a way to go with a purpose. We did what we had to do... and to up front without too much a spoiler, it was freaking HARD. Physically very, very hard. Worth it? Heck yes! But more on that in the coming weeks..... My aim is to just tell a story and inspire. That's it.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

It'll take a while. But then again, what TR of mine doesn't? LOL!!

Welcome home! I'm so sorry the meet-up didn't work out this time around. Hope you had a great time with your sister.

Thanks, C.O.! We will make it work someday; I have no doubt. :) It was important I maximize that time with her, and did. We ended up at the Botanical Gardens, which was really quite nice.

Meantime, 2019 or bust!!

And I love that about you!

TOWANDA!!!! LOL! I dunno, I guess for me, it's go big or go home.

Wow, that really says it all.

Sometimes all it takes is a good photo.

Welcome back! Glad you are safely home and looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Your photos of West Africa jibe with my memories of small towns in The Gambia...

Thank you, Irene!! To be frank, I too am glad I made it home; I honestly worried a few times about being able to. :scared:

Oh boy! Did I know you'd gone there? This rings a bell; I'm sure you must've said something, but I'd forgotten! Let's compare notes as I make my way through the chapters, okay?! I'd be very interested in how they compare. :hyper2:

Welcome back! I am sorry that I missed the send off, but it sounds like you had an amazing time (despite the health issues...). Can't wait to read more about it!

Hey, Magdalene! I"m so glad you've stopped to say hi! We really did! Very eye-opening; I learned a lot!

Looking forward to hearing all the good, bad & the ugly. Having been on mission trips before, I can imagine the impact.

There will be plenty of all of that! Even in the "hard" there was beauty. Impactful? Oh, you KNOW it!

Yes, I was thinking about that stark contrast before you left. One week in Disney and then in Africa the next is very much the contrast scenario.

I can't think of two more different places. For reals.

Having been on mission trips myself, I understand...there are a plethora of emotions that surface, both good and bad.

Yes. Anger, frustration, joy, you name it.

Just glad you're home safe and looking forward to hearing about both (although more so Africa).

Thanks!! There were a few times I wondered if coming home was "in the cards".

No doubt you've had an incredible adventure and the two trips must have had as much contrast as your pictures of Main Street(s). Looking forward to reading the stories.

Hey, Jeff. So hey, I picked up a little gift for you from the last contest (you were the only one who sent your address - pays to pay attention), so I'll be sending that out to you soon. :)

Yes, it was an incredible adventure worth taking. Loads of stories coming your way! :)

Saw that on FB. Good luck....

Well, it was a bust. No pun intended.

Apparently, our inept gov't agencies do not communicate, so one cancels a case and the other still serves a subpeona. Idiots.

Well... now that's a different welcome home!
Glad it's not you in trouble, but mighty curious...
Of course you can't say. But I suspect it has something to do with your work.
And I could be totally wrong!
(I frequently am.)

Now that it's been dismissed, I can tell the story.

One day last month, I had picked up Anara from school and was not far from the school when we saw black smoke. A lot of it. I slowed down and saw a house fully engulfed in flames. They were pouring out the windows and was already a total loss. I stopped in the driveway and called 911. Then this guy comes out raving like a lunatic to "call the FBI". At one point, I asked him if anyone else was in the house. His verbatim response? "I SURE HOPE SO!!!!" Ummm.... okay. (turned out no, there was no one in the house.)

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

It progressed, and in the course of the 911 call and talking to this clearly mentally ill man, it came out that he had set the fire himself. (To make a long story short.) Very sad, but the reality was, he put the public and the firefighters and police in danger. I hope he gets the help he needs.

No, not curious. Not sure if Canada has the same thing, but we're fortunate enough in the states to be mandated to appear for jury duty and forfeit our paycheck for a gloriously extravagant jury duty paycheck of $20-40 a day!!!

I was lucky enough to get $7.40 today for my gas. Enough to buy 2 $ixbucks lattes. Thanks Polk County.

Thanks!! There were a few times I wondered if coming home was "in the cards".

Yikes! This is one of the reasons that foreign travel scares me. Not necessarily Europe or Canada, or even ANZAC, but things are so different in other countries and I'm almost ashamed abroad to be an American right now, there's that too.

One day last month, I had picked up Anara from school and was not far from the school when we saw black smoke. A lot of it. I slowed down and saw a house fully engulfed in flames. They were pouring out the windows and was already a total loss. I stopped in the driveway and called 911. Then this guy comes out raving like a lunatic to "call the FBI". At one point, I asked him if anyone else was in the house. His verbatim response? "I SURE HOPE SO!!!!" Ummm.... okay. (turned out no, there was no one in the house.)

:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

It progressed, and in the course of the 911 call and talking to this clearly mentally ill man, it came out that he had set the fire himself. (To make a long story short.) Very sad, but the reality was, he put the public and the firefighters and police in danger. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Wow! You really do seek out adventure everywhere you go!

Yikes! This is one of the reasons that foreign travel scares me. Not necessarily Europe or Canada, or even ANZAC, but things are so different in other countries and I'm almost ashamed abroad to be an American right now, there's that too.

American certainly has its issues and I will in NO WAY minimize the need to stand up for what each of us feels is right and to help do our best to preserve the good we have here, but America and Americans are doing GREAT good in places that are not as developed and suffering. I was proud to be an American making a difference where I was, and I never once felt thought of less or that they don't appreciate us. Yes, there were a few jokes about Trump, but they did not do so in a bashing or disrespectful way. To be very honest they deeply and genuinely appreciated all we were there to do.

Different? Holy cow, I've never in all of my travels seen anything so profoundly different. Unbelievable some of the things I saw!

Wow! You really do seek out adventure everywhere you go!

I swear I have no idea even how I find myself in half of the situations I do. :sad2:

Hmmm, I"m not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It's a good thing! :)

I will try to give each it's due attention. Both are full of stories and interesting stuff, but yes I'd agree, the Africa portion may be a bit more insightful.

That's what I thought would happen.

Then my hope is to share in such a way that inspires and rallies.

I'm sure you will do that. I have no doubt. :)

About as stark a difference as can be.

Geez, no kidding!

Thank you PK! It's good to be back!

:goodvibes

Africa was... not.

Oy.

Did I "enjoy" both? YES! 100% yes.

But... good!

to up front without too much a spoiler, it was freaking HARD. Physically very, very hard.

:hug:

To be frank, I too am glad I made it home; I honestly worried a few times about being able to. :scared:

Holy crap.

you were the only one who sent your address - pays to pay attention

Um... no. I sent you my address too.
But no African treat for me! Wah!

(Totally okay, by the way. :))

Wow! :scared:
That's.... something!

Thank you one and all for the warm welcome home, Friends! You are all a wonderful treasure to have. I"m going to have to play the "Jetlag Card" and pick up responses from after the last "real" update, and ask your forgiveness. I had a lot to get done today, including a useless trip to the County Seat for a non-trial. So much for my morning. :rolleyes2
I don't think that would qualify as playing the jet lag card. I'm surprised you found the time or energy to post yet. I was expecting later this week.

But, I am slowly recovering in terms of sleep and the crud I caught over there. Ready or not, I have to work tomorrow.
Sorry you got sick and hope you feel better (and rested) soon.

I know I have weeks of catching up to do on the threads I'm on as well; I'll get there, gonna take a bit though. :)
But we expect it NOW (if not sooner). ;)
Sorry, I slipped into what our customers and bosses always seem to want mode there for a bit...forgive me.

Oh boy! Did I know you'd gone there? This rings a bell; I'm sure you must've said something, but I'd forgotten! Let's compare notes as I make my way through the chapters, okay?! I'd be very interested in how they compare. :hyper2:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before! My college boyfriend joined the Peace Corps the same year I was in Versailles for my study abroad year. (He was 2 years older). I visited him in The Gambia over my winter break, since it wasn't that far (comparatively) to fly from France via Senegal, then jitney cab to The Gambia. He did meet me in Dakar, Senegal, so I didn't have to do much on my own. One of the first challenges was getting out of the airport - since I was meeting him there, and he was in charge of getting our hotel for the night, I didn't have a hotel name to give to passport control/customs when I arrived, and I had to tell them the whole story and convince them that I really did have a place to stay even though I didn't know a name of a hotel! All in French, no less! So, we spent one night in Dakar, then took a jitney cab to Banjul, The Gambia, and stayed at the Peace Corps building for a few days. Then, we took a bus to the small town where he was living (teaching math and English). He had a 3 room house that was basically 2 huts connected with a rectangle - no electricity or running water. Walk to the well to get water. The local women laughed at my efforts to wash my clothes by hand - I was not very successful! It was definitely an adventure...

No, not curious. Not sure if Canada has the same thing, but we're fortunate enough in the states to be mandated to appear for jury duty and forfeit our paycheck for a gloriously extravagant jury duty paycheck of $20-40 a day!!!

I am lucky that in my job, we get full pay if we have jury duty and keep the money they pay us as well. We just have to bring in the a slip from the court that says what days we had to be there.

Kim

I am lucky that in my job, we get full pay if we have jury duty and keep the money they pay us as well. We just have to bring in the a slip from the court that says what days we had to be there.

Kim
Yeah, I could too.....

if I were an employee vs. a contractor. :sad2:

Gotta pay to play... so back to work today.

Replies soon. :) I have been reading each reply though!

Last edited:
So glad you made it home safely even if a "little" worn out. The effort and work you put into this trip, well, you deserve a bit of rest! I wish I had the power to grant it to you.

YOU ARE AN AMAZING LADY AND WHAT YOU DO FOR OTHERS IS BEYOND AMAZING!

Having now gotten up to speed on all things Steppe related, I must first offer my congratulations on getting back to Disney. And then, I must offer an even bigger congrats on living out your dream of visiting Africa. That is really an awesome story and I know some really amazing things are going to come out of it. I can't wait to see all of the photos that you bring back! I have a feeling this will be one of those life events that you always look back on. Excited to see where your adventures take you!

Having now gotten up to speed on all things Steppe related, I must first offer my congratulations on getting back to Disney. And then, I must offer an even bigger congrats on living out your dream of visiting Africa. That is really an awesome story and I know some really amazing things are going to come out of it. I can't wait to see all of the photos that you bring back! I have a feeling this will be one of those life events that you always look back on. Excited to see where your adventures take you!
Are you related to the great pumpkin from Linus at halloween? ;)
BTW: Do know your pictures aren't showing due to photobucket garbage?

Are you related to the great pumpkin from Linus at halloween? ;)
BTW: Do know your pictures aren't showing due to photobucket garbage?
I switched to SmugMug and am happy so far. :)

Super busy today, but hope to hop on tonight and spend some time here! Have a great day, All!!

That's what I thought would happen.

I'll let you be the judge.

I'm sure you will do that. I have no doubt. :)

See ^

Um... no. I sent you my address too.
But no African treat for me! Wah!

(Totally okay, by the way. :))

EEK!! You're right! You did! I went back through my PMs and sure enough... :) Also, have da winnah's too!

Wow! :scared:
That's.... something!

And in the end, it was dismissed. Or plea bargained or...??? :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter