The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Adventure takes on many forms. I welcome, no! pursue, it as often as I can.

Yes, I think we've come to expect that of you!

desperately stuck in the cycle of simply finding each day’s meal ( no ‘s’).

ouch.

I freely admit to struggling some with reverse culture shock.

I can't even imagine!

The things I saw and experienced both exhilarated me and ripped my heart out; gave me joy and brought me to tears.

:hug:

No words.

I also realize some of you may be more interested in one portion over the other.

I honestly can't say which I'm looking more forward to. I think... maybe? Africa? It's just so outside my sphere of experience.

In contrast, my time in Africa will be told in order.

I'm actually kinda glad about that. :)

what I share is in absolutely ZERO way meant to elicit pity or undue bravado towards myself. I simply want to share what I saw and did exactly as it was.

We understand. And we want to know and learn and listen and see.

As always, PLEASE share your comments, thoughts, opinions, discussion, observations, and jokes with the thread participants. That’s what makes DISBoarding fun!!

I certainly will!

Whoa. That.... speaks volumes already.

Very much looking forward to reading all about it!
And welcome home!

I freely admit to struggling some with reverse culture shock. The things I saw and experienced both exhilarated me and ripped my heart out; gave me joy and brought me to tears.

I can only imagine!! Humbling myself now to receive your stories with an open heart. I know there will be things we can't fully understand, having never been there to experience them completely, but I'm grateful to you for sharing with us as much as you can.

Therefore, I’ve decided to do both portions (Disney and W. Africa) in tandem. Leapfrogging my way through my experiences seemed to be a good solution to staying excited about both trips.

I wouldn't expect anything different!

And I understand that W. Africa needs to be told linearly, too.

And now, perhaps to set the stage, I shall place us on 2 very different Main Streets: Main Street, USA, and Main Street, Freetown, Sierra Leone.

Wow! What a contrast!

I can only describe it as a study in stark contrasts. One week I toured side by side with people “living the dream”; the next, alongside my fellow humanity living squarely on the porch of profound poverty, desperately stuck in the cycle of simply finding each day’s meal ( no ‘s’).

This is going to be a powerful one, I can tell already

gave me joy and brought me to tears.

I’m sure his TR will do the same for me.

And now, perhaps to set the stage, I shall place us on 2 very different Main Streets: Main Street, USA, and Main Street, Freetown, Sierra Leone.

Oh my. That’s a shift for sure.

First of all, welcome back! Jill nailed it, what a dichotomy of experiences you must have had! I'm excited to read all about both trips.

I will admit that I prefer the chronological telling of tales and I'm glad you'll be taking this approach with the Africa portion. I am definitely interested in both parts, but I imagine that the Africa chapters will not only be emotional, but very eye opening as well. I can't even imagine the levels of poverty in which these people live.

I couldn't see the pictures in your post, but I could see them in @pkondz quote. That was a huge contrast and I can't even imagine what it was like spending time there.

Of course we know you're not doing this for praise or other such accolades, but we're happy you want to share this experience with us. And yes people will praise for your work, because you've just done something that most people would never consider, much less actually do it!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Welcome back! Glad you are safely home and looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Your photos of West Africa jibe with my memories of small towns in The Gambia...

Welcome back! I am sorry that I missed the send off, but it sounds like you had an amazing time (despite the health issues...). Can't wait to read more about it!

View attachment 286436

Home safely (well, at least on US soil), and trying to re-assimilate and process.

Here is a small sneak preview of things to come.

I promise there are some great stories ahead!

Get ready for Adventures With Steppe....
Looking forward to hearing all the good, bad & the ugly. Having been on mission trips before, I can imagine the impact.

C is for: Clearly I’m Home; Complete Contrasts!

Adventure takes on many forms. I welcome, no! pursue, it as often as I can. As I contemplate all that life has brought to me over the last month, while headed home at 36,000 feet, I can only describe it as a study in stark contrasts. One week I toured side by side with people “living the dream”; the next, alongside my fellow humanity living squarely on the porch of profound poverty, desperately stuck in the cycle of simply finding each day’s meal ( no ‘s’).

Yes, I was thinking about that stark contrast before you left. One week in Disney and then in Africa the next is very much the contrast scenario.

I freely admit to struggling some with reverse culture shock. The things I saw and experienced both exhilarated me and ripped my heart out; gave me joy and brought me to tears. But allow me if you will, Dear Reader, to share them intermingled, some with an upbeat, joking tone, some that will bring fascination, or evoke your imaginations, and perhaps, just perhaps, with your walking alongside me, bring it all to a resounding happy ending with your help and partnership. Hear me out, My Friends, and prepare yourselves now for:
Having been on mission trips myself, I understand...there are a plethora of emotions that surface, both good and bad.

Just glad you're home safe and looking forward to hearing about both (although more so Africa).

No doubt you've had an incredible adventure and the two trips must have had as much contrast as your pictures of Main Street(s). Looking forward to reading the stories.

“Welcome home! And by the way, you’re subpoenaed to appear in court on Tuesday at 9 AM.”

I am anxious to get to replies, but I slept all day Monday, and I’m headed to the court room right now. No, I’m not in trouble just have to be on the witness stand. Obviously, I can’t get details but perhaps afterwards I will be able to.

I hope I’ll be able to find some time this evening to be here.

“Welcome home! And by the way, you’re subpoenaed to appear in court on Tuesday at 9 AM.”

I am anxious to get to replies, but I slept all day Monday, and I’m headed to the court room right now. No, I’m not in trouble just have to be on the witness stand. Obviously, I can’t get details but perhaps afterwards I will be able to.

I hope I’ll be able to find some time this evening to be here.
Well... now that's a different welcome home!
Glad it's not you in trouble, but mighty curious...
Of course you can't say. But I suspect it has something to do with your work.
And I could be totally wrong!
(I frequently am.)

Well... now that's a different welcome home!
Glad it's not you in trouble, but mighty curious...
Of course you can't say. But I suspect it has something to do with your work.
And I could be totally wrong!
(I frequently am.)
No, not curious. Not sure if Canada has the same thing, but we're fortunate enough in the states to be mandated to appear for jury duty and forfeit our paycheck for a gloriously extravagant jury duty paycheck of $20-40 a day!!!

No, not curious. Not sure if Canada has the same thing, but we're fortunate enough in the states to be mandated to appear for jury duty and forfeit our paycheck for a gloriously extravagant jury duty paycheck of $20-40 a day!!!
Sure, but if you do it for 50,000 days, you'd be a millionaire!

Thank you one and all for the warm welcome home, Friends! You are all a wonderful treasure to have. I"m going to have to play the "Jetlag Card" and pick up responses from after the last "real" update, and ask your forgiveness. I had a lot to get done today, including a useless trip to the County Seat for a non-trial. So much for my morning. :rolleyes2

But, I am slowly recovering in terms of sleep and the crud I caught over there. Ready or not, I have to work tomorrow.

I know I have weeks of catching up to do on the threads I'm on as well; I'll get there, gonna take a bit though. :)

Meanwhile... onto replies starting with pg. 8.

Yes, I think we've come to expect that of you!

Hmmm, I"m not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I honestly can't say which I'm looking more forward to. I think... maybe? Africa? It's just so outside my sphere of experience.

I will try to give each it's due attention. Both are full of stories and interesting stuff, but yes I'd agree, the Africa portion may be a bit more insightful.

I'm actually kinda glad about that. :)

I think your feelings are pretty universally held. :)

We understand. And we want to know and learn and listen and see.

Then my hope is to share in such a way that inspires and rallies.

Whoa. That.... speaks volumes already.

And welcome home!

About as stark a difference as can be.

Thank you PK! It's good to be back!

I can only imagine!! Humbling myself now to receive your stories with an open heart. I know there will be things we can't fully understand, having never been there to experience them completely, but I'm grateful to you for sharing with us as much as you can.

It was in itself a humbling experience; I hope I do my job well at conveying what I saw and learned.

I wouldn't expect anything different!

And I understand that W. Africa needs to be told linearly, too.

LOL! My reputation precedes me! HAHAHA!

I think if I jumbled it up, it'd lose the continuity. I can say, as you'll see, the trip ended up being "ordered" exactly as it "should have been". Clearly, we weren't "in charge".

Wow! What a contrast!

Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words!

Your trip truly was a dichotomy. Can't wait to hear about both parts.

Hey Jill. I can without a doubt say that the $$ given towards this project were used wisely and were timely. Good things happened and more are to come. Looking forward to sharing the things we encountered!

This is going to be a powerful one, I can tell already

I think so, Kelly!! I don't think anyone will be disappointed....

I’m sure his TR will do the same for me.

Now if I can only put it all into words that help paint the picture.

Oh my. That’s a shift for sure.

I thought that was a nice way to set the stage. Pretty black and white so to speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter