The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

We have watched the flag retreat also and it was so moving. We have only eaten at LTT for lunch but we enjoyed it. I really wanted to eat there for supper but when they took away the characters we moved our adr to lunch.

I think most people (at least Americans) who get to see it are moved. Quite a nice little ceremony. I keep seeing folks going to LTT for lunch, and now am wondering if it might not be a good option I should keep open for upcoming trips. It's really never been on my radar at all, but sure is now. :) I also see how for many of my readers, the taking away of the characters was a deal breaker. I'm not into the characters, but can see how if that's something you look forward to, it'd be a bummer to have it taken away as an option.

I enjoyed the latest update and I think that you did an excellent job conveying your thoughts and opinions. I, too, am one that normally sees the glass as half full. So glad that you were able to see the flag retreat (something that we have yet to see in all of our 24 trips) and meet up with some fellow Disers.

Thanks, Lisa! :) It worked out well, albeit unexpected, that I got to see it! I hope you can catch it when you're there sometime- something that I'm so glad is still part of Walt's Legacy.

It's been years since we have eaten at Liberty Tree Tavern but I may just have to remedy that in the future.

I'll be interested to hear what your take on it is if and when you do!

I've had the privilege of seeing the Flag Lowering ceremony twice, and a 3rd time I came across the procession marching in to a "side street" off Main Street (right side of the street as you are going towards the castle). One time I made a point to be there for it, the other time I lucked in to it while Ryne was visiting Mickey and TinkerBell.

I don't think very many people are even aware it happens. And it's so cool to see. I read about it in one of my guidebooks years ago and it's been on my Must-Do List ever since.

We haven't been to Liberty Tree in a long time. It used to be a somewhat regular choice, but since it's been mostly just me and Ryne we haven't gone there.

It's a LOT of food for just a couple of people. Kinda like O'hana. I try to find restaurants that serve food I don't normally make at home and this is good old traditional American food so it wasn't on my list- BUT, since I lucked into the invitation I thought it'd be fun to try. I'm so glad I did!

AUGH I knew I should have changed to 12...I wonder which ones I missed. And I actually think I skipped the blurry one on the menu, but I did count the one one the chocolate "Derby", and the logo on the bell.

I didn't have the energy to post them all... ;) But I did count around 10 times and one reader did post the answers by photo in the PM.

I'm kind of hit and miss being on here. Going through something a bit unexpected here at home that has kept me a little pre-occupied. (No details but....Nobody's sick, nobody's getting married or having babies, and it looks like we're getting close to the other side of it...with a happy ending, so all's well)

OH!? Well, when you feel free to tell us more, please do! I'm very intrigued and happy for you whatever it is, Tanya! :hug:

Okay. Thanks for the warning. Teflon armour donned.

This better be worth it. That armour chafes!

One word: Bodyglide.

Nope! Got 'em all done. Polished off the last two on the last trip.

:rolleyes1

Uh huh. Suuuuure ya did.

Nicely done.

A last minute attempt at humor.

I would like to do that with instant win lottery tickets.

But all I ever get is "Please play again".

Do you even play? ;)

Perfectly all right. I think there's nothing wrong about being proud of your home.
I'm proud to be an American too! And I bet any Argentinian, Bolivian, Brazilian, Chilean, Ecuadorian, Guyanan, Mexican, Paraguayan, Peruvian, Surinamian, Uruguayan or Venezuelan would say the same!

Okay fine... A United States of AMERICA citizen.

I've dropped a few chemical bombs in my day.... really need to apologize for those.... but I usually try to look innocent and blame it on someone else. Or the dog.

As far as having one dropped in me..... I keep telling you, I haven't been to Taco Bell yet!

I blame it on my patients. ;)

Mmmm, Taco Bell. I enjoy that about once every couple weeks. Less lately! Trying to lose a few pounds!!!

Nor should you. I get that feeling when I see my flag raised.

Good!! Canada has a lot to be proud of!

:sad2:

Any news on Abu? Last I saw, he got his passport.

I should ask for a more recent one. Last I heard they were still $4,000 short of the money needed to start treatment. :(

You can find updates here on a FB page that our Freetown Office staff started for him:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=abu mansaray from sierra leone

I'm glad you got to do this, but....

Not being from the US, that's never been on my radar. If I stumbled upon it while it was happening..... I'd probably just walk right past.

I can see where the draw wouldn't be there, no real emotional connection and all. But, I can say, when I was in Thailand, something kinda cool happened to me.. .I'll tell the story when I reply to Jeff so you can both see it, in case he doesn't scroll up to read my comments here.

Interesting. I see from your photos, but I would not have thought they'd block off an area.

Just the area immediately around the flagpole- from the curbs in.

They were led straight to the back of the park and out the secret back door where they were ground up into pixie dust. This is Disney's ugly secret that it doesn't want people to know about.

I think the Vets actually get to keep them as a souvenir. Nice gesture of thanks on Disney's part.

This is something else that I did not have on my list. It just seemed..... garish. Too much.
But when seen with everything else... and the festive nature of the park.... it fit. I liked it.

I didn't know what to expect at all! Certainly wasn't expecting fireworks, nor did I know it was part of a little show Elsa put on, but it did have the wow factor and was really pretty. I liked the projection show just before the lights came on too.

Man, that guy is awesome.
I jokingly said that I don't have anything left on my bucket list and of course that's not true.
But one item that is on my list.... I'd love to grab a table nearby, with a nice drink at my elbow, and listen to his set.

Jim is amazing! I LOVE ragtime music in general and could listen to Joplin all day long and then some, but he adds a happy vibe to his little show as well. I LOVE how he calls up a kid nearby to play his last notes for him. So cute!

There really is something to be said for slowing down and taking in the less-well-known things the parks have to offer.

I don't think I was that forward! I asked you what your plans were, and asked you if you had an ADR for that day and you said no. (I think because of the party, maybe?)
Since you didn't have one, that's when I asked if you'd like to join me.

I didn't think it came across as forward at all. :confused3 ANd to be fair, I honestly don't remember the exact words said, just seemed natural to join in. :)

And I'm glad you said yes! I would have left an embarrassing amount of food on the table. Between the two of us, we still left a fair bit.

Yes, we did!! So much food! I think we barely touched the mac cheese.

Speaking of Mac Cheese, I may have found my new hands down all-time fave snack in all the parks at AK. They have a Mac Cheese stand that serves 3 kinds- with BBQ pork? and one other, but the one I love the most? With 3 big shrimp and some Sweet Chili sauce on it. OMG!!!!! It's a must-do and I have a little story for a future update to tell.

Interesting, because I liked it most like that. I don't care for it if it's too dry.

I always make both at my Turkey Dinners- one made IN the bird and another for baked in a casserole dish. So everyone gets what they want- dry or moist.

I don't remember that.... but I had higher food priorities that day. :rolleyes1

You mean higher on the food chain?

:lmao:

Well, then there's the foreigner's perspective "Oh, those must be photos of supposed family members to bring a homey touch to the room."

LOL!!! You mean not everyone would recognize John Adams, Ben Franklin, or G. Washington?

I wouldn't have been insulted if you'd said "No"! I certainly understand the fun in sitting and people watching for a while.

I do enjoy that too, but not during a party event. Too expensive for that.

Dang. Only one I got wrong. I had one in DL and was highly underwhelmed (I didn't even finish it... which is saying a lot), so didn't think you would go that route.

And I see you had the same reaction to it.

Yep .Yuck.

Still out front, but Alison is closing fast!

Better watch out!!!

I stumbled upon the flag retreat on the last day of my family's last trip. We were leaving early to get back to the resort to pack up for our early morning flight. Being Canadian, although it's not "my flag", I still find it's a ceremony that demands respect. Obviously there are differences between our countries, but there are a great many similarities with my brothers and sisters in the south. Despite being in a bit a rush, I asked my family to stop and watch the flag retreat that day. It was a moving and somewhat fitting end to our trip.

Very well said, Jeff. :)

I think it is too. Even if you're from another country, it might cause one to pause and think about what's great about his or her own country and what they can do to improve it.

And now, Story Time with Steppe:

I was living in Thailand during the time Anara was born. I had left Crapistan because the medical care there is so bad and I daren't risk a premature birth there. So, sometime while in Bangkok (it must've been after she was born) I was in a mall doing some shopping, mostly to get out of the house and kill time. I was at the top of an escalator about to come down when I, and everyone one else, was shushed. I looked down and there was a big crowd gathering on the level below me and a corridor of people were gathering for something. I hesitated getting on the escalator as I wanted to see what was happening. I did ask someone standing by me what was going on and this person said that the princess was just arriving. OH! Cool!

What struck me was how completely reverent every single person in the mall became. In Thai culture a "wai" is given out of respect (a bow made with arms in a "prayer-like" position), much akin to our hand on our heart for the Stars and Stripes. For them it is a sign of respect and the royalty there very much represent their country. I was very aware that this was a "patriotic" thing happening and I was moved to wai as well as she made her way up the escalator past me. Not because I'm Thai, but because the country treated me very well, was very gracious to me during my stay, and I couldn't help but to show my own respect for what Thailand had in its own right to offer the world. I guess in that moment I was more a World Citizen showing respect for my hosts and in particular to the very tangible symbol going past me at that moment.

All that to say, I don't think it is odd to be respectful during another country's displays of patriotism. Yes, every country has its problems and issues; all have room for improvement. It's up to everyone to work towards those ends, but it's also good to give pause to be thankful for the good there is.

Last edited:

I think most people (at least Americans) who get to see it are moved.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not from the US (although I am American of course) but if I'd seen it, I probably would've been at the very least, respectful. And probably moved as well. It doesn't matter that it's not my country. It's what it represents. The sacrifices made. By your country or mine or anyone's.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not from the US (although I am American of course) but if I'd seen it, I probably would've been at the very least, respectful. And probably moved as well. It doesn't matter that it's not my country. It's what it represents. The sacrifices made. By your country or mine or anyone's.

I'm sure you would have. :) And that was very well stated! :goodvibes

One word: Bodyglide.

I prefer a water slide.

Uh huh. Suuuuure ya did.

;)

A last minute attempt at humor.

And a successful one too!

Do you even play? ;)

I do... but verrrrrry rarely. Less than one/year.

Okay fine... A United States of AMERICA citizen.

There ya go.

I blame it on my patients. ;)

:lmao: :rotfl:

Mmmm, Taco Bell. I enjoy that about once every couple weeks. Less lately! Trying to lose a few pounds!!!

Good luck with that! :)

Good!! Canada has a lot to be proud of!

Yes we do, actually. But you certainly don't need to tell me that.

I should ask for a more recent one. Last I heard they were still $4,000 short of the money needed to start treatment. :(

You can find updates here on a FB page that our Freetown Office staff started for him:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=abu mansaray from sierra leone

Thank you!

I can see where the draw wouldn't be there, no real emotional connection and all. But, I can say, when I was in Thailand, something kinda cool happened to me.. .I'll tell the story when I reply to Jeff so you can both see it, in case he doesn't scroll up to read my comments here.

Standing by....

Just the area immediately around the flagpole- from the curbs in.

I hadn't realized that there was a band as well. Obviously need more room. ::yes::

I think the Vets actually get to keep them as a souvenir. Nice gesture of thanks on Disney's part.

Nice!

I didn't know what to expect at all! Certainly wasn't expecting fireworks, nor did I know it was part of a little show Elsa put on, but it did have the wow factor and was really pretty. I liked the projection show just before the lights came on too.

I did too!

Jim is amazing! I LOVE ragtime music in general and could listen to Joplin all day long and then some, but he adds a happy vibe to his little show as well. I LOVE how he calls up a kid nearby to play his last notes for him. So cute!

::yes:: I like ragtime too.... and almost never hear it.

There really is something to be said for slowing down and taking in the less-well-known things the parks have to offer.

Up until recently, that really wasn't an option. When you go every 10 years... you tend to want to cram as much as possible in.

I didn't think it came across as forward at all. :confused3 ANd to be fair, I honestly don't remember the exact words said, just seemed natural to join in. :)

Well... neither do I! :laughing: But I do know we were chatting and it just kinda made sense for you to join me.

Yes, we did!! So much food! I think we barely touched the mac cheese.

Okay, good! I was thinking... "We liked the mac n cheese didn't we? I don't remember."

Speaking of Mac Cheese, I may have found my new hands down all-time fave snack in all the parks at AK. They have a Mac Cheese stand that serves 3 kinds- with BBQ pork? and one other, but the one I love the most? With 3 big shrimp and some Sweet Chili sauce on it. OMG!!!!! It's a must-do and I have a little story for a future update to tell.

That sounds good! It's going on my list!

I always make both at my Turkey Dinners- one made IN the bird and another for baked in a casserole dish. So everyone gets what they want- dry or moist.

I have done that too... but only because I made too much for the bird... and it's never as good as the stuff that's in the turkey.

You mean higher on the food chain?

Yes.

LOL!!! You mean not everyone would recognize John Adams, Ben Franklin, or G. Washington?

Honest answer?
No.
Possibly/probably
Yes

I do enjoy that too, but not during a party event. Too expensive for that.

Good point.

Better watch out!!!
::yes::

And now, Story Time with Steppe:

I was living in Thailand during the time Anara was born. I had left Crapistan because the medical care there is so bad and I daren't risk a premature birth there. So, sometime while in Bangkok (it must've been after she was born) I was in a mall doing some shopping, mostly to get out of the house and kill time. I was at the top of an escalator about to come down when I, and everyone one else, was shushed. I looked down and there was a big crowd gathering on the level below me and a corridor of people were gathering for something. I hesitated getting on the escalator as I wanted to see what was happening. I did ask someone standing by me what was going on and this person said that the princess was just arriving. OH! Cool!

What struck me was how completely reverent every single person in the mall became. In Thai culture a "wai" is given out of respect (a bow made with arms in a "prayer-like" position), much akin to our hand on our heart for the Stars and Stripes. For them it is a sign of respect and the royalty there very much represent their country. I was very aware that this was a "patriotic" thing happening and I was moved to wai as well as she made her way up the escalator past me. Not because I'm Thai, but because the country treated me very well, was very gracious to me during my stay, and I couldn't help but to show my own respect for what Thailand had in its own right to offer the world. I guess in that moment I was more a World Citizen showing respect for my hosts and in particular to the very tangible symbol going past me at that moment.

All that to say, I don't think it is odd to be respectful during another country's displays of patriotism. Yes, every country has its problems and issues; all have room for improvement. It's up to everyone to work towards those ends, but it's also good to give pause to be thankful for the good there is.

That is a very cool story. And I like your reason for showing respect. It would be very simple to just "I'm a tourist. I don't understand so I'm not doing it."
And very well said about being respectful. You should do that regardless. You are a guest in someone else's home. Act accordingly.

Just a point of clarification on Contest Question #1. I was intending for you to count the times the word (or any part of it, including a single letter) "Hollywood" appears in PHOTOS.

D'oh. I guess I completely blew that.

I was extremely reluctant to go the way I did with this chapter given recent events and the political climate we live in.

I think it's kind of sad that we've reached a point where you feel you need to say this, given the extremely non-controversial content in your chapter!

I know many of my readers are from other countries, so please excuse me while I gush a bit about ‘Murica.

It's ok, I went full-on Ugly American when describing Carhenge last year.

All opinions and controversies aside, we live in an unimaginably wealthy country, where even our homeless have socks, where we have incredible natural resources, and gorgeous landscapes that make up “home”.

Truth. We complain often because we lose perspective.

Yes, I got teary. Yes, it was somewhat emotional. Yes, it’s still appropriate, in my humble opinion, to give respect to those who’ve fought and died for our freedoms and to pause to reflect in genuine gratefulness on the good we still have here in America. Perhaps I’m too much a glass half-full kind of gal, but I’d so much rather focus on the positive and be grateful than always look at the negative and whine and complain.

You don't need to apologize for that, it's appreciated. Glad you got to watch the ceremony!

IMG_5003-L.jpg

Nice shot!

Pkondz asked what my plans were, and I told him I was really in no rush other than to take photos and enjoy the evening.

“I have an ADR at LTT, I’m sure they could seat you too. Ever been there?”

“Why no. No, I haven’t. But I don’t want to crash your dinner.”

I don't know about @pkondz, but I would almost always prefer company to dining alone!

And, since this was a holiday party of sorts, why not celebrate and include a holiday-style meal? It just doesn’t get any more traditional than this: A gigantic platter of roast pork, turkey, and beef, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, mac and cheese, and rolls.

BCTH97yemBclPCWgBYnmSbJSxTX7Vip8W8qs7LnOtFm13aZXnPgkjE8ZmyVPNX5PUZ8wnc3-ya3TbY2IX-ho48KYFzkV2ufgsofD46Bm6iTlmj8WAg-yn0RIGIGCB93s5gZw8xnwv3L7jZERnRumDKVukHNbt9wYDXZNgrOr2Dy9dc_o4bQN8Bp0JXIqcQkcKGgtG1ohTQ3BC3CSHfxBTqZ4oFHcTxHErBEpsXc_RFQ1en223m8b0OCbpizBMAoZk2YoMP3_Vyq32NZqPyCtW1QFp_YJkBsyuKsHS6PxkMcA_v__faBnmN-ZUv4lVYbYLvWxm3FXR6FSgjUagoXpr2JfPcyKiCRfRpOQ5_k9B_Od4mkCVJ0AYPEb1O-1xqk0x2xZqj2z0T5Q3nChY4bT1fOehGVSxW1DiMZzZG6gtur5Kui0DiQEQgDoV9qf18dCID4vWS2GGk9crzD60lti3jGjfiTnirNs2zqrO_Ukk-r8unAqFz9cSL7idbRMRZkXjQIebz7Kx2nhIUrRznFKlgPTf7qu8rrW-9o6I4xCtjJu4tagjlAQkidlS7-3xVJYBRkEuDZG-7QIVY-gvzcY4z3syR-43vc3xDGeFZs=w279-h320-no

I've had much better salads. The lettuce was pretty wilted.

I've seen a lot of fancy-schmancy restaurants offering "wilted kale" as a side dish. I've never understood that. Kale by itself is a turnoff, I don't understand how serving it wilted is supposed to make it more appealing. That means "decaying", right?:confused3

No ice cream doesn’t count, @Captain_Oblivious .

Well, it should. So there.

No. Steppe really doesn’t like shopping all that much.

Then you've fooled me with your descriptions of shopping around the world in Epcot!

Just read your last two updates. The SL chapters are so enthralling to read; I can't even imagine the experience you had there...

Glad the move to your new facility at work was successful and that you got some much-needed days off!

The Flag Retreat at the MK is such a nice event to watch. One of my husband's "Disney goals" is to be the veteran picked for the ceremony. He asked how the CMs went about choosing and they said it was completely random.
In the spirit of the topic, Alex had a DIS friend re-enlist (basically renew your job) in front of the flag one time. It's a fairly important event, since you're basically signing your life away for another 4,6,etc years and I wouldn't be surprised if Alex tries to do that, too.

I've heard great things about that toffee cake from Liberty Tree Tavern; it was nice that you were able to have dinner there and try the food for yourself!

I was extremely reluctant to go the way I did with this chapter given recent events and the political climate we live in. Remember, these are my own opinions and observations and I not only realize, but respect that yours could be quite different.

Actually i can say that i completely agree with what you have said here. Especially with the education you are giving me in your Africa updates.

All opinions and controversies aside, we live in an unimaginably wealthy country, where even our homeless have socks, where we have incredible natural resources, and gorgeous landscapes that make up “home”.

This is true. I never even thought about it that way, but yes most homeless people here probably live better than many you visited on your humanitarian trip. At least the ones around LA.

But by comparison, we live in a pretty damn good place.

::yes::

the Flag Retreat in the Town Square. For years, I’ve always seemed to just miss it by the time I remembered it was going on.

Whenever its happening at DL I'm usually late for something and havent stopped to watch. I'll have to remember to do that on one of my upcoming trips.

And a place I could very easily watch the whole set. I've not seen many other CMs like Jim who so obviously love their job.

I don't know if you were reading back when i did my naked Jim TR, but I lost Jim at Casey's. It was raining and i was trying to hustle out of the park to get to the monorail. He sat there and filmed the piano player for 20 minutes. I was at the Emporium before i realized he was gone.

“I have an ADR at LTT, I’m sure they could seat you too. Ever been there?”

“Why no. No, I haven’t. But I don’t want to crash your dinner.”

“If you’ve never been and you’re hungry, you should give it a try.”

Truth be told, I was hungry, and I was fairly intrigued about it too

I certainly would have taken him up on the offer!

A gigantic platter of roast pork, turkey, and beef, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, mac and cheese, and rolls.

Sounds delicious!

In addition to the prix fixe menu items, I ordered a mimosa to sip during dinner.

So do all the TS restaurants in MK serve beer and wine now?

The only thing about this meal that made me go, "Hmmm..." was as they called each party’s name, the CMs all clapped and cheered for the group. It was just… odd and seemed out of place.

They do something similar when you board the cruise ships.

All of the little serviceware, including the gravy boat on the table, was crafted of faux pewter

Well thats good. If they used real pewter, they might have a problem with return guests! :laughing:

If I hadn’t, it’d been a dismal array of burger and hot dog options (which I try my best to avoid for the most part while at Disney.

Me too.

Only one contest question this round. Where is this Mystery Photo?

This is I right. There isn't a Belgium pavillion at Epcot and i could only think of one reason you've cropped his body! If you are familiar with that fountain. :lmao:

pkondz: 17 + 18 = 35
franandaj: 14 + 20 = 34

:woohoo:

Chapter 5- E is for: Exhausting Efforts
(An Update with Far Too Few Photos)

The joyous rhythmic choruses of a thousand voices woke me around 8:00. I’d desperately wanted to join in a local church service during my trip, but that was not the plan for today. I had no escort, no idea of the timeline set forth for us, and no energy anyway. I woke up pretty ill with no voice at all to sing or even talk at that point. My throat burned, my nose was gushing, and I was doing everything I could to not hack up a lung.

With another bucket of cold water, I washed up and there was enough pressure coming out of the sink faucet for me to wash my hair. It's the little things. I put my last set of clean clothes on and gave the laundry to the house help, hoping it’d be dry before we set out the next day for the villages. It was a dicey proposition but had to be done. Stinky clothes with far too many people in the backseat makes for a gross combination.

Being a Sunday and a day off, the house was full of people coming and going of all ages. Which may or may not have been significant in hindsight. I’ll never know.

Since I was downstairs, I sought out some breakfast. There was none. BUT, it was Sunday, and God had a special gift for me…. Coffee! Sometime during the night, my French press showed up and, using the Folgers and some hot water, I made a cup of comforting, hot, gloriously caffeinated deliciousness. It was a cup of Heaven on Earth. I supposed at that point, breakfast was to follow some time later, so went upstairs to do a bit of journaling on the balcony. While sitting there, I became alarmingly light-headed. Enough that I actually became a bit concerned. I made my way in to our room and grabbed a packet of Instant Grits that I’d brought with us and gingerly made my way down the death-stairs and mixed up a bowl of magic. Yes, they magically helped me feel much better and I chalked that little dizzy spell up to low blood sugar. Later I would learn that it was the beginnings of a bigger problem, but for then, all was okay.

Finally, at 11:30, our group was ready to head out- the 3 of us Americans, our driver, and one of the Africans who lives in the States who traveled with us. It took the requisite hour to get to where we were going, of course, but along a different route than we’d been before, so it was refreshing to see a new part of Freetown on the way.

You already know it was hot, unbearably hot, and humid most of the time, but now I will assign a new meaning to that term. We arrived at the storage space that our supplies had been put in after their release from the port. In the hottest part of the day, in an enclosed, dusty, concrete bunker, with no food and a small bottle of water apiece, we were tasked with sorting $150,000 worth of surgical supplies, medications, clothing, and other medical goods. Each box that you see there needed to be opened and its contents parsed out to 4 separate allotments for different dispersal locations- 3 village clinics and the main government hospital in Freetown. Every item, box, bottle, everything had to be put in a pile, and the RE-boxed up and organized.

Around 2:00, we all had horrendous headaches and were light-headed due to dehydration and exhaustion. We sent out one of the guys to find us food. It took a LONG time before he was back with some cold fries, cold fried chicken and fish and warm Cokes. It was then we learned that by law ALL fast food street vendors and restaurants are closed on Sundays. And that the food that had been brought back for us had been cooked the day before and put away for … later?? So, it was risk Salmonella or pass out from hunger. I ate a little. Just enough to keep me going. Because it took us 6 hours to do what we had to do.

At some point, our African-American friend and NGO Board Member who had traveled with us (for reals his name is George Orwell!) mentioned the value of the supplies saying something like, “This must be worth a lot.” I replied with a, “Yes, about $150,000 worth.” The look on his face was priceless. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the dust in the warehouse that made his eyes a bit teary.

I have never been so thoroughly exhausted from heat, hunger, hard work, and being sick. If you know me at all, I’m pretty healthy, not fit by any means, but relatively strong and in good health. I didn’t feel like that so much that day. And I was grumpy. And got a bit testy. (This is a part of the story I am not very proud of.) And I hate to admit it, I was not very nice. This gal in one of the photos below was a nursing student who was sent to help us. It was super nice of her to give up her time to lend a hand, and we were definitely grateful. My aunt wanted to take her photo (she wanted to take EVERYONE’s photo- right down to the guy how wheeled our luggage at the airport (it became ridiculous)) and she took forever… like she stood there talking with her about half an hour writing down her life story doing so. I also wanted Bek to take mine at some point, as we had a good view of the supplies to send to our main donor as part of that documentation and, without remembering what led up to it, I snappedy (not loud enough for the student to hear, but too loud anyway), “but I don’t want her in the photo.” I am super ashamed, because it came out not at all what I was really trying to mean or say, but well, there it was. I simply wanted a “clean” photo for a specific reason. My aunt shot me a look of disapproval and I did smooth things over later, but clearly the situation had worn my patience down. So as much as I wanted these photos, I cringe now a bit at seeing them.

(She's still talking)

(A fake smile for the donors)

6 hours later:

Around dinner time, we finished up and went home along the beach route.

We did stop very, very briefly for some photos and we lucked out in that it was sunset- which happens very quickly here. One minute you’re playing soccer, the next it’s dark. Remember the seminar for the disabled? We wondered if any of the folks who attended our seminar a couple days prior were enjoying some time on the beach with friends.

At one point earlier in our commute, we encountered something you won’t see here: an active parade with cars driving through it. The school term was just ending that day, and all the schools paraded with their bands and banners, teachers and students alike. They don’t march in formation at all; they just go in a shapeless, random mass singing and dancing and talking. Any cars that need to pass just slowly drive right down the road in the opposite direction if need be. It is the oddest thing. No streets were blocked off, no measures taken to avoid accidents, and there were no attempts made to manage traffic flow. Horns occasionally honked in frustration, but not many. Parades are fairly common occurrence come to find out and everyone just deals with it. I mean, what’s another hour on the road?

Please excuse the horrid photo quality. I did edit them but none of the edits "stuck" and I'm not going to bother in SmugMug again.

Along the way home, there was an ice cream shop that the guys wanted to stop at. They didn’t offer to buy us any and I didn’t have any Leones with me, so had to forego. It would have been nice though.

We finally arrived back home well after dark to no power or water. No surprise there. But we had a couple of buckets of water waiting and once again the cold bucket bath was refreshing and wonderful. Dinner was prepared and ready and we all enjoyed a tasty meal of fish and peanut stew over rice. I was dying for some fresh fruits and vegetables, but we never did get any of those except the occasional street vendor oranges. After dinner, I sat out on the back porch and could overhear the locals talking about us in Creole. I don’t speak Creole but could understand enough that I knew we were the subject of their conversation, so left so that they could carry on without interrupting. It is odd to be talked about in earshot while you understand some, but they don't think you do. It happened A LOT in Crapistan and it was fun to pipe up when you've heard enough.

By the time we went back to our room, completely exhausted, I had no voice, the cough was worse, certainly due to the dust in the warehouse, and a fiery throat. Nevertheless, Bek and I reviewed our lessons by flashlight for the teaching we would be doing in the villages soon. It wasn’t long before we were both sound asleep until the rooster crowed around 4:00 AM.

Last edited:
Oh no, it sounds like you were starting to come down with something really awful that morning. Is it bad that I said a "Whoo-hoo" for you when I read that your French Press had arrived? The coffee addict in me knows that a good cup of coffee can do wonders for the body.
And thank goodness you had some instant grits to help with the light-headedness!

That storage center looks like it trapped heat and was an inferno. I can't imagine spending six hours in there with no liquids and in the first stages of getting sick. You really put yourself through the ringer. I know it was for a greater good and you wouldn't take back the experience for anything, but I also think it's fair to say that was a pretty crummy day for you! Thanks for being honest about it all, though. We're human and given the circumstances, I can 100% understand why some snapping occurred. ::yes::

The joyous rhythmic choruses of a thousand voices woke me around 8:00.

You make that sound pretty remarkable. Was it? Or were you wishing for quiet to sleep longer?

I woke up pretty ill with no voice at all to sing or even talk at that point. My throat burned, my nose was gushing, and I was doing everything I could to not hack up a lung.

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good at all. :(

there was enough pressure coming out of the sink faucet for me to wash my hair. It's the little things.

Amazing how you can be so thankful for something that we just take for granted.

I do actually think about that from time to time. When I'm standing at the sink with the water running and just expecting it... I sometimes think that there are people who have never seen that. Walk miles everyday for a bucket of water.

I put my last set of clean clothes on and gave the laundry to the house help, hoping it’d be dry before we set out the next day for the villages.

I might hope that the laundry would come back... let alone come back clean or dry.

Being a Sunday and a day off, the house was full of people coming and going of all ages. Which may or may not have been significant in hindsight. I’ll never know.

Uh, oh. I suppose a later update will let us know what you mean by that.

Sometime during the night, my French press showed up

:woohoo:

While sitting there, I became alarmingly light-headed. Enough that I actually became a bit concerned.

Oh boy. I suspect that you're the type of person who shrugs off stuff that others would be worried about. That doesn't sound good.

gingerly made my way down the death-stairs

With no railing... on slippery steps.... while light headed.... :sad2:

Yes, they magically helped me feel much better

That's good!

Later I would learn that it was the beginnings of a bigger problem, but for then, all was okay.

Oh, no....

And this too.... later update. I am getting pretty concerned.

It took the requisite hour to get to where we were going, of course, but along a different route than we’d been before, so it was refreshing to see a new part of Freetown on the way.

Nice that you got to see more of it.

In the hottest part of the day, in an enclosed, dusty, concrete bunker, with no food and a small bottle of water apiece

Ugh! Sounds awful!

and the RE-boxed up and organized.

What does RE stand for?
Or is that a typo for "and then re-boxed up and organized"?

Doors?

Around 2:00, we all had horrendous headaches and were light-headed due to dehydration and exhaustion.

:sad2: I'm surprised you even made it that far without falling over.

It took a LONG time before he was back with some cold fries, cold fried chicken and fish and warm Cokes.

Cold fries? No. Cold fish or chicken... sure. I could choke down a warm Coke I guess, if I was dehydrated.

And that the food that had been brought back for us had been cooked the day before and put away for … later?? So, it was risk Salmonella or pass out from hunger.

It was cooked so I don't think I'd worry too much about salmonella after just a day.

Because it took us 6 hours to do what we had to do.

Man... Big job.

for reals his name is George Orwell!

:laughing: Get out! I wonder if his parents knew or had a sense of humour or what?

“This must be worth a lot.” I replied with a, “Yes, about $150,000 worth.” The look on his face was priceless. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the dust in the warehouse that made his eyes a bit teary.

And my first thought was "That's a lot I could get on the black market."... :rolleyes1

Granted I don't know George Orwell... although I have read 1984.... while 1984 was still a future date.

I have never been so thoroughly exhausted from heat, hunger, hard work, and being sick.

:hug:

I was grumpy. And got a bit testy. (This is a part of the story I am not very proud of.) And I hate to admit it, I was not very nice.

Well, it's pretty understandable given the conditions and your condition. I think you can cut yourself a bit of slack.

we had a good view of the supplies to send to our main donor as part of that documentation

That's nice that you did that for them. Was that requested? Or did you just think to do it so they'd know what they'd done?

“but I don’t want her in the photo.”

Eep! Good thing she didn't hear! Hoo, boy.

My aunt shot me a look of disapproval and I did smooth things over later

With your Aunt, I presume. Since the nursing student hadn't heard you.

Yup. You don't look particularly pleased there. :rolleyes:

(A fake smile for the donors)

That's a pretty convincing fake smile!
How will we ever know if you're authentically smiling now?

6 hours later:

Biiiig job!

We wondered if any of the folks who attended our seminar a couple days prior were enjoying some time on the beach with friends.

A lot of amputees.... Too many.

They don’t march in formation at all; they just go in a shapeless, random mass singing and dancing and talking. Any cars that need to pass just slowly drive right down the road in the opposite direction if need be.

Huh! That must've been something to see!

Or were you just feeling so sick, tired and hot that you just wished they weren't there so you could get back to your room?

Parades are fairly common occurrence come to find out and everyone just deals with it. I mean, what’s another hour on the road?

Sure! Why not?

Along the way home, there was an ice cream shop that the guys wanted to stop at. They didn’t offer to buy us any and I didn’t have any Leones with me, so had to forego. It would have been nice though.

Maybe since you didn't get one, they thought you didn't want one? Could you not have asked for one and said you'd pay when you got back to the hotel?

It is odd to be talked about in earshot while you understand some, but they don't think you do. It happened A LOT in Crapistan and it was fun to pipe up when you've heard enough.

::yes:: I remember two old ladies sitting on a bus, cutting up everyone else. "Oh, look how that one's skirt is so short. And that one there has a torn shirt. And..."
All in their secret language of French...... which is not that uncommon here.

By the time we went back to our room, completely exhausted, I had no voice, the cough was worse, certainly due to the dust in the warehouse, and a fiery throat.

Oh, man. You don't sound like you were well at all.

Nevertheless, Bek and I reviewed our lessons by flashlight for the teaching we would be doing in the villages soon.

I'm surprised you had the energy to do that!

It wasn’t long before we were both sound asleep until the rooster crowed around 4:00 AM.

Far too early. You couldn't have been overly happy about that.

I prefer a water slide.

Hey, those are FUN!

::yes:: I like ragtime too.... and almost never hear it.

I listen to it on Pandora once in a while. Or on the Youtube Main Street channel.

Up until recently, that really wasn't an option. When you go every 10 years... you tend to want to cram as much as possible in.

I was definitely remember being like that. But the more I go, the less I am like that.

Okay, good! I was thinking... "We liked the mac n cheese didn't we? I don't remember."

Yes, but it wasn't the highlight.

That is a very cool story. And I like your reason for showing respect. It would be very simple to just "I'm a tourist. I don't understand so I'm not doing it."
And very well said about being respectful. You should do that regardless. You are a guest in someone else's home. Act accordingly.

I hope I can visit Canada sometime soon, and experience the pleasantries and manners that I hear Canada is known for!

D'oh. I guess I completely blew that.

But there's plenty of time to catch up with later chapters.

I think it's kind of sad that we've reached a point where you feel you need to say this, given the extremely non-controversial content in your chapter!

It is.

It's ok, I went full-on Ugly American when describing Carhenge last year.

LOL! That's right! You really went above and beyond there!

Truth. We complain often because we lose perspective.
It's a slippery slope to "my life sucks" without seeing and hearing about others. You know, the whole "walk a mile in another's shoes" bit.

You don't need to apologize for that, it's appreciated. Glad you got to watch the ceremony!

Thanks, Mark.

Nice shot!

Heh, I thought it was pretty blurry, but okay for no tripod.

I don't know about @pkondz, but I would almost always prefer company to dining alone!

Me too!

Yes, rather like that!

I've seen a lot of fancy-schmancy restaurants offering "wilted kale" as a side dish. I've never understood that. Kale by itself is a turnoff, I don't understand how serving it wilted is supposed to make it more appealing. That means "decaying", right?:confused3

No, in this case, kale is much better soft. Otherwise it's too pokey and tough to enjoy. At least me.

Then you've fooled me with your descriptions of shopping around the world in Epcot!

That is pretty much the only place I actually enjoy it. And where I limit my Disney shopping to. Unless I have a VERY specific item in mind- ie the AoA mug that Zach wants.

Just read your last two updates. The SL chapters are so enthralling to read; I can't even imagine the experience you had there...

It was very rewarding and valuable. But in many ways very, very hard.

Glad the move to your new facility at work was successful and that you got some much-needed days off!

We just finished Week 2 at our new place and things get smoother every day. We're really enjoy having so much more space and love that everything is all brand new. Things (our caseload) is a bit slower so am enjoying fewer hours lately. Both of my upcoming shifts are overnight stays, so all my hours will be night hours.

The Flag Retreat at the MK is such a nice event to watch. One of my husband's "Disney goals" is to be the veteran picked for the ceremony. He asked how the CMs went about choosing and they said it was completely random.
In the spirit of the topic, Alex had a DIS friend re-enlist (basically renew your job) in front of the flag one time. It's a fairly important event, since you're basically signing your life away for another 4,6,etc years and I wouldn't be surprised if Alex tries to do that, too.

OH wouldn't that be awesome! I really hope he can be chosen someday! I didn't know they did re-enlistment ceremonies there too! That is so cool! If Alex ever does that, PLEASE tell us all about it!

I've heard great things about that toffee cake from Liberty Tree Tavern; it was nice that you were able to have dinner there and try the food for yourself!

I think if I go back, I'd like to try the lunch option. The salad and some other things sound really nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter