The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

H is for: Happy in the Himalayas!

The call of the wild, the allure of nature's beasts, the mostly untamed (but sorta cleverly manicured) landscapes of Animal Kingdom easily lures me to Embrace Adventure. Well, okay, it’s actually the siren song of 8 Spoons Mac and Cheese, or my latest new love affair with Satuli Bowls, but regardless, I find myself being drawn to find new ways to tickle my Inner Explorer at this park. And I sure did! Wanna join my one-gal morning of explorations? Here, take my hand, and let’s be off to the High Himalayas!

On my way to sub-continental Asia, I first took part in a death-defying stampede to the mythical land of Pandora, then eased off my pace to a sauntering meander through Africa. But that’s for another chapter on another day.

Today, Companion, we find ourselves in the midst of ancient temple ruins,

colorful shops offering all of life’s necessities,

(Frozen Chai Latte for $5.69 at Royal Anandapur Tea Company- one of life's greatest treasures)

and reminders that there are yet places in our world that remain full of mystery and unanswered questions. (Like who came up with 81.4 pounds being a max weight for a Sherpa? I have a hard time carrying 10 pounds of groceries up my 3 flights up stairs. And apparently, I need to find an "Expedition Member" who can be responsible my health and safety.)

First stop, because I was feeling cute ( :rolleyes2 ) I did something I NEVER do... stopped for some PP pix. But, there was no line at all and I had loads of time to waste time pretending to be a glamour girl.

Then I had a brilliant idea and turned this into something actually worthwhile just for kicks and giggles.

Taking plenty of time to stop and admire random flowers,

I headed off in search of the elusive Yeti. There were plenty of warnings on my trek along the way informing me of how I'd be able to identify signs of him should there be some: footprint shapes, fur samples, scratch marks, and ChunkyDumps. (No, really trust me; it's all there in the queue.)

As I began to ascend the rocky, icy crags, the vendors became more selective in their services and wares. I took this photo to prove..... absolutely nothing. But for the sake of filling this chapter with riveting pictures of random bookshelves and only portions of what looks like a scale, there you have it. Only top quality Trip Reporting here, Friends.

Now, in case you do run across a 7-11 that happens to be open at 17,600 ft. (or a Sherpa with nothing better to do than make a few extra rupees at a high altitude card game; ummm... remember Boys and Girls, they are used to hypoxia, you are not. High altitude card games with a Sherpa are probably not a good idea.) there does appear to be a Bank of Anandapur for your convenience. Thank Goodness! I was dying for a Slurpee; I hear the yellow ones are delicious!

Finally outfitted up, it was time for my climb. My bank account had been training for this all year! I present to you, the most expensive 3 minutes on the planet:

Can someone tell me what that cable or rope or whatever it is hanging there is supposed to be? I've never seen rope-y things alongside tracks before.

Careening along, having the time of my life, I came across Mr. ChunkyDump himself. I told you, Folks, it's catching on like wildfire, and you too can join the latest craze by taking a squat and joining the ranks of the CoolCats by posting it here. If Yeti is doo-ing it, you can too!

Yeti and I parted on amiable terms; really, he's just a misunderstood overgrown teddybear. I'd have liked to have stuck around a bit more, but there was other pressing business of the day: namely making my way to my upgraded accomodations and getting settled in there and picking my mom up from MCO. The journey back out of Asia was not without a bit more adventure though, My Friends! As I slowly walked away from the Himalayan Highlands and back out into the lower elevations where tea and Jasmine grow, I met Kelly who was on her way to face the Yeti herself. She had texted me earlier telling me I'd left a battery in the room (story of my life) and she'd bring it to me.

She passed it off, and we thought we'd meet up again after she rode EE. While I waited for her to don her oxygen and make her ascent, I got to enjoy the antics of Kevin for a while. She was in high spirits as she posed at the same PP place I did with a random couple who scored what were probably the best photos of their trip. She walked around the area idly pecking at unsuspecting passersby, peering over the bridge, and squacking up a storm scaring the crap out of more than a few folks.

I was relieved when Kelly made it back with all of her rupees intact (no card games for these RNs!), and we stopped for a quick photo together:

I realized at that point that time was marching along, so we parted ways. I made my way back across the bridge, made the trek out to the buses, and experienced the temperatures of 17,600 ft all over again.

I'll leave you with a random photo of a bird that I took somewhere in Asia that day. If you'll remember, my phone took a swim later on this trip, and I lost an entire 2 1/2 days of photos, so am working at a massive handicap in presenting much in the way of photos for you. My savings account still laments.

This Orange-beaked Checker Butt says, "Have a nice day and thank you for adventuring along with SteppeSister!"

Last edited:
I get that but since I have so little computer time for fun stuff (I have to steal TR updating while Fran is asleep.) I can't look at FB stuff unless it's from my phone, and my phone doesn't like posts with more than say 5 pics. :sad2:
Gotcha! Well, now they are there and you can see them here when you have some free time. :)

While I waited for her to don her oxygen and make her ascent, I got to enjoy the antics of Kevin for a while.

I love your photos of Kevin! I had completely forgotten that she was around during my AK day and never sought her out. I really regret that and hope that she will still be around next time I go.

my latest new love affair with Satuli Bowls,
I never did have a Satuli bowl but they do look good from the pictures I’ve seen.

(Frozen Chai Latte for $5.69 at Royal Anandapur Tea Company- one of life's greatest treasures
Yay! I loved this. Very refreshing and something different than a frozen Coke.

Then I had a brilliant idea and turned this into something actually worthwhile just for kicks and giggles.

PP is something my gang does a lot of. We try getting our money’s worth out of it.
Chunkdump...lol!

I was dying for a Slurpee; I hear the yellow ones are delicious!
I see what you did there.

Can someone tell me what that cable or rope or whatever it is hanging there is supposed to be? I've never seen rope-y things alongside tracks before.
No idea. I wonder if it’s meant to be the end of a prayer flag rope that’s been torn away? There are prayer flags up there, right? Or am I imagining that....

I love your Chunkydump pose, way to classy up a picture :lmao:

All seriousness, your outfit is so cute and perfect for a trek through Asia, on a yeti search!

Again, I will say, Kevin makes me so happy!

Thanks, Tundra!! It looks like not only are you new to the Trip Report, but also new to the DIS in general! So a very big :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to you!!! I'm really glad you are here and that you are enjoying the report so far. I am super hoping to finish it all up in the next weeks so I can focus on packing and preparing for my much longer trip in Sept. 10 short weeks! I hope you'll comment often and join in the, at times, silly banter and have fun right along with us. :)
Thank you for the welcome! I have loved following all the EPIC ladies trip reports! I seem to be especially drawn to the ones from the fellow nurses! (I am one of those crazy ER nurses, LOL!) We are finally going back to WDW with our kids and grandkids, and I am starting the research process. It is so tough to decide where to stay when you have to take into consideration the needs of a large group, ages 3-60. On site for convenience, off site to save money, meal plan, no meal plan, and how do you fit in a day at UO to see Harry Potter for my daughter in law...the list goes on!
:jumping1:

I promise I am still here. I know, I am a slacker! Having a paycheck again has made my hubby want to do things again with a vengeance and so every weekend we have been doing "family" stuff. I'm one wore out wife. LOL But, it sure is nice to do stuff again and not be shorting our funds else where.

Wanted to give you this quick read:

https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Cable_lift

Miss you and hope you are doing well and the family is too. Loving all your writing, just don't seem to have much time to comment on anything. I have been reading a lot from my phone, and it's just to hard to try and comment from it. Who would have thought that it would take so long to try to adjust to working again. You work 40+ hours a week for 30 years, take 2 1/2 years off and your body thinks you didn't work a day in your life. Stupid body!

I love your photos of Kevin! I had completely forgotten that she was around during my AK day and never sought her out. I really regret that and hope that she will still be around next time I go.

I hope so too! She is such a crowd pleaser and honestly, it's refreshing to see her not just standing there posing with guest after guest. I guess she is more like a streetmosphere like DeVine tha a charachter meet and I'm okay with that. I haven't heard if she'll be around long term or imtermittently or ?? But was definitely a treat!

I never did have a Satuli bowl but they do look good from the pictures I’ve seen.
Yay! I loved this. Very refreshing and something different than a frozen Coke.

I know!! They are amazing and so perfect for a hot Florida morning!

PP is something my gang does a lot of. We try getting our money’s worth out of it.
Chunkdump...lol!

I should get more, afterall they are free for me. But, I generally don't focus on photos of myself. Seems like a small handful is enough from each trip and I move on. I did get a few though and they were fun. On my Sept trip, I'd like to try and get a few of the lantern ones that are popping up. Especially the one at AK.

I see what you did there.

;)

No idea. I wonder if it’s meant to be the end of a prayer flag rope that’s been torn away? There are prayer flags up there, right? Or am I imagining that....

That was my first guess too? This was the same area (that everyone has a photo of) and you can just make out in the bottom right what my photo is from. It just seems to follow the track to well for that.

IMG_0652.jpg

Seems to be part of the track though? My question is: If this is supposed to be made to look like real track, does real track have a cable. Is this maybe not supposed to be a railroad but rather maybe a "CABLE RAILWAY"? I found this article and think it may be relevent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_railway
Used for railways with a very steep grade which this would be. Anyway, interesting little tidbit I'm not sure how to interpret. :)

I love your Chunkydump pose, way to classy up a picture :lmao:

All seriousness, your outfit is so cute and perfect for a trek through Asia, on a yeti search!

Again, I will say, Kevin makes me so happy!
LOL!! "Classy" is the way I roll, Caroline! ;)

Awww, thanks! I picked that up from the Art Street Fair in Bend, Oregon a few summers ago and got it for EXACTLY that- wearing for my AK days. And I have the last few times I've been there. The greens and earthy tones and patterns all scream AK to me! I'm glad you noticed. :hug: I like to wear it with my bronze antelope necklace or the coffee bean necklace a good friend got for me a few years ago. :)

Thank you for the welcome! I have loved following all the EPIC ladies trip reports! I seem to be especially drawn to the ones from the fellow nurses! (I am one of those crazy ER nurses, LOL!)

ER was my first choice when I got my degree 3 years ago. Has it been that long?!?! But, the job I landed, which was beyond perfect for me was in PACU and I couldn't be happier. I think I'd have liked the fast pace and occasional high drama of the ED, but in the end, I have no mandatory OT that comes with a hospital, no psych, no weekends, holidays, or (now) nights, no lifting patients, and only about one code brown year.

We are finally going back to WDW with our kids and grandkids, and I am starting the research process. It is so tough to decide where to stay when you have to take into consideration the needs of a large group, ages 3-60. On site for convenience, off site to save money, meal plan, no meal plan, and how do you fit in a day at UO to see Harry Potter for my daughter in law...the list goes on!

It's a LOT!!! I rely heavily on my spreadsheets to keep track of it all and, as you know, the bigger the group, the more complicated it gets.

I think if you want to be fully immersed and get the perks like EMH (almost a neccessity now to get on any rides ESPECIALLY at DHS with the new FP system there) and the convenience of the buses and now gondolas, I'd say on site. I have done the math for DP vs. no DP and always seem to save a ton by NOT doing the DP. We don't always order a whole meal for each person, and I have the TIW card so it makes my decision easy. I'd say go to the Allears menus and start adding up a few sample mock meals for what you think each person would order and just to the math. Most of all, enjoy the planning! It's meant to be fun so always remember even if you get there and things don't go as planned, you're still going to have a great time. :)

I promise I am still here. I know, I am a slacker! Having a paycheck again has made my hubby want to do things again with a vengeance and so every weekend we have been doing "family" stuff. I'm one wore out wife. LOL But, it sure is nice to do stuff again and not be shorting our funds else where.

I'm so glad you're out and about doing fun stuff and finally not having to worry and stress about $$! Enjoy this bit of freedom!!

Wanted to give you this quick read:

https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Cable_lift

Interesting! I know the the actual ride system for EE for sure uses a cable, but this is part of the theming of the ride. See my reply to Jeff up there ^. :) I'm wondering if it's meant to be a cable for a cable railway system as opposed to EE being themed to be a normal simpled tracked railway. (separate from the roller coaster mechanisms).

Miss you and hope you are doing well and the family is too. Loving all your writing, just don't seem to have much time to comment on anything. I have been reading a lot from my phone, and it's just to hard to try and comment from it. Who would have thought that it would take so long to try to adjust to working again. You work 40+ hours a week for 30 years, take 2 1/2 years off and your body thinks you didn't work a day in your life. Stupid body!

Miss you too, Jenn! We are doing as well as can be expected right now. Each day is a little better. I'm glad you're still here and reading; as for commenting, I also seem to be able to be here in fits and spurts as I have time. It took me quite a while to get used to working full time (it was MUCH easier to keep up working part time) and I still have to disappear off the boards from time to time during especially long work weeks. Keep up as you can, and I'll keep writing. :hug:

I enjoyed my jaunt through the Himalayas this morning. I am looking forward to seeing them again in person in only 84 days!

it was announced that the US Navy's Blue Angels, a precision flying squadron, would be doing a flyover at EPCOT.

What a special treat. I would go out of my way to see this too.

Some of you know that I have a dream of becoming a pilot someday and have gotten to the point of passing my Written FAA exam for single engine private pilot. Unfortunately, life is full of twists and turns, often out of our control and that has been put on hold for another season. Yes, I'll have to retake my exam as you have to get your 40+ hours of flight time in and your check ride done within 2 years. I'm getting on in that time frame and have chosen to spend what little play money I have on other things right now.

I'm so sorry this has been put on hold for now, but I know when you pick it back up you'll "git r done".

My comments will be brief on this one. In short, it was nothing short of loud, beautiful, awesome, and totally worth it in my book! Some of my shots, of course, are better than others. Here are the few I got. :)

Your photos are fabulous!

Then, we waited for what seemed like and eternity, but was only about 15 minutes or so. Out of nowhere and with no warning... ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So exciting!

IMG_3149%5B21741%5D-L.jpg

Wonderful picture!

We also loaded up on a mighty fantastic breakfast from Sunshine Seasons. MMMmm!!

This does look good. I've never done breakfast here but might have to give it a try.

I'm still behind. SE is a family favorite for us too. Love the AC and history. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! I'm at this point finally caught up- seems to go in ebbs and flows.

What a special treat. I would go out of my way to see this too.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see that again in my lifetime.

I'm so sorry this has been put on hold for now, but I know when you pick it back up you'll "git r done".

I sure hope so, Vanessa!

Your photos are fabulous!

Aww, thanks! I love to be creative in this way!

This does look good. I've never done breakfast here but might have to give it a try.

Sunshine Seasons is very rarely on my radar. Back in 2010, I ate a QS lunch of stir fry here and is was...ok. Nothing amazing. I'm usually there for the Festivals so head straight to the kiosks for filling up. I DO however love their strawberry shortcake and would go out of my way if the timing was right to get that. Not quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite as good as Kringla Rice Cream, but tasty nonetheless. Having said all of that, the timing was right on this particular day because we weren't scheduled on our tour to eat for quite some time and and I hadn't had breakfast. Voila! We picked well and it

Thank you for sharing. I didn't realize there were so many different areas here. You're pictures are just beautiful. I'm glad you enjoyed your outing and got the rare owl photo.
It was such a blast!! I am hoping to get back out that way or to the Desert SW again sometime soon!

Here, take my hand, and let’s be off to the High Himalayas!

Thanks for inviting me along. I love your bracelet. It's perfect for you.

I first took part in a death-defying stampede to the mythical land of Pandora, then eased off my pace to a sauntering meander through Africa. But that’s for another chapter on another day.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this. Gotta get me a game plan for our next trip.

First stop, because I was feeling cute ( :rolleyes2 ) I did something I NEVER do... stopped for some PP pix. But, there was no line at all and I had loads of time to waste time pretending to be a glamour girl.

Lovely photo and I adore you dress. It just screams AK.

:eek:

:rotfl2:

He's doing it!

I got to enjoy the antics of Kevin for a while.

I hope we get to see him too.

Beautiful! Love all the different colors.

And now I'm caught up on your report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter