ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

That looks fake. with that little bit of bright green along the river.
Very interesting!

Well, I can be excused since I don't drink much anyway. I don't know what everyone else's excuse is!

Take a look at google maps for someplace dry (Mexico, Nevada, etc.) Then look for the little strip of green...it's a river. The disparity is amazing.

I drink ALL the time. Water...have to have it to live. Tea...love the taste.:duck:

Well Friends, I guess the old saying of "Be careful what you ask for." has come true.

Hours (ie. cases) at work has picked up significantly, and 30-35 hours a week is both good and bad.

Great that the extra income will help tide us over until we flip properties and get new renters; bad in that, on top of flight school and spending more study hours than most people need to understand this stuff, the usual housework, and.... stuff (you know, like changing the toilet paper rolls that no one else seems to have the mental capacity to change when empty....), I now have pretty much no time to get caught up until this weekend. I know I'm a loser at being MIA on all of your threads- sorry 'bout that. I am reading, but the laborious process of replying/multi-quoting by phone just ain't gonna happen.

I am very grateful that I only have 7 more work days until I'm outta here!!! I really hope to at least get all up to date this weekend before I have to pack and leave. (No, no gross, seedy hotel this time!)

Meanwhile, discussion point: What is something you've always wanted to do/go/be/etc... but haven't due to time, money, whatever reason?

Just curious.

Glad you have the extra income. Sorry that means you can't multiquote. <sarchasm> I'm not as busy and I don't multiquote...too time consuming even on a computer.

Hope you enjoy your vacation/time away.

For me, there are three places I still want to go:
Germany, New Zealand, Ireland.
Germany - was supposed to go there when I was in AF, but didn't - long, depressing story.
New Zealand - Watching lord of the rings, seeing the vast beauty/variety there.
Ireland - Dream of my mom's and I would love to be able to take her.

For me for a long time the answer would have been Japan. But now I have a flight booked for this summer!

Cool! I can't wait to hear about it! Does this include the Disney park?

Travelwise the other big destination would be Hawaii. It is just sooo far from Europe to get there.

I can understand that. It's literally traveling to the other side of the world for you! All I can say is that I think you would love it. And Aulani would be a great place to get rid of jet lag.

You'd be very good at that.
I don't say that lightly.

@Captain_Oblivious I agree with @pkondz, I think you have the talent to be good at writing. Being successful at it is unfortunately something that depends so much on luck. Just look at JK Rowling, she was turned down by 8 publishers before she became the most successful writer ever.

Wow. :blush:

I'm honored that either of you would think of me that way. I don't know that my writing is anything special, but I really appreciate both of you for saying this. Made my day!

I actually did try writing a novel several years ago, back when I had time and fewer kids. I kind of gave up as my free time dwindled. I also found that my work was basically unpublishable--I was right around the word limit for what was generally being published at the time and was only halfway done!:faint:

It's a line of work with a miniscule chance of success. Most writers now have to do their own marketing, and I'd be horrible at that. It's fun to dream of J.K. Rowling-like success, but there's only one of her. Helps that she's an amazing writer, too!

I'm honored that either of you would think of me that way. I don't know that my writing is anything special, but I really appreciate both of you for saying this. Made my day!

You have a knack, Mark. You're FB posts are always good too.

I was right around the word limit for what was generally being published at the time and was only halfway done!:faint:

Holy crap!

I actually did try writing a novel several years ago, back when I had time and fewer kids. I kind of gave up as my free time dwindled. I also found that my work was basically unpublishable--I was right around the word limit for what was generally being published at the time and was only halfway done!:faint:

Don't give up. Have you ever seen Diana Gabaldon's books? Those things are huge. She used to write comic books for Disney and she too is a Disney lover.

Cool! I can't wait to hear about it! Does this include the Disney park?

Yes, not one, not two, but THREE! (we make a stop over in Shanghai - for the sole purpose of visiting there, so with the two in Tokyo we have a nice number). And Michael just asked me recently if I intended to write a TR about it - as if I could consider not to! He is a bit frustrated that all my trip report energy of late went into the report with Katharina...

That's what an editor is for.

It's a line of work with a miniscule chance of success. Most writers now have to do their own marketing, and I'd be horrible at that. It's fun to dream of J.K. Rowling-like success, but there's only one of her. Helps that she's an amazing writer, too!

I know that a lot of people don't consider her a good writer, but I think she has amazing talent to draw pictures with words and she is a wonderful story teller. I recently read her crime novels that she published under a different name. Very different subject matter, but great books, too.

Don't give up. Have you ever seen Diana Gabaldon's books? Those things are huge. She used to write comic books for Disney and she too is a Disney lover.

I love her books! I had not idea she was affiliated with Disney at one time. We listen to books in the car, we still have to get to the last two Jaime and Claire books.

Last edited:
I love her books! I had not idea she was affiliated with Disney at one time. We listen to books in the car, we still have to get to the last two Jaime and Claire books.

When Disney used to put out educational comic books she wrote the captions for the pictures. I love her books. Do you watch the show on Starz? When she needs to get away she often goes to Disneyland.

When Disney used to put out educational comic books she wrote the captions for the pictures. I love her books. Do you watch the show on Starz? When she needs to get away she often goes to Disneyland.

Yes, we do watch the show on Starz! It been so long since we "listened" to the first book, that I'm relearning the lore!

You have a knack, Mark. You're FB posts are always good too.

I really appreciate you saying that. The encouragement means a great deal to me.

Holy crap!

Yeah...I lost the wind in my sails after figuring that out. Then I had more kids and the job got busy, and...

I have not! Don't know her work. My understanding is that you have to earn your way up to writing longer stuff. I'm sure she put in the time.

Yes, not one, not two, but THREE! (we make a stop over in Shanghai - for the sole purpose of visiting there, so with the two in Tokyo we have a nice number). And Michael just asked me recently if I intended to write a TR about it - as if I could consider not to! He is a bit frustrated that all my trip report energy of late went into the report with Katharina...

Excellent! Can't wait to hear about them!

Michael could always take a stab at writing himself....:rolleyes1

That's what an editor is for.

In this case, he/she would need a machete. Maybe someday I will have the time to give it another shot.

I know that a lot of people don't consider her a good writer, but I think she has amazing talent to draw pictures with words and she is a wonderful story teller. I recently read her crime novels that she published under a different name. Very different subject matter, but great books, too.

I think she's a wonderful writer--anyone saying differently is just giving sour grapes!

Do you follow her on fb? She is fun to follow and she often posts when she is in Disneyland.

I follow some part of her on FB. I remember her posting the final candidates for the cast in the TV series, but it might not be her personal page. I've never seen anything about Disneyland. Even if she was there I'd be too shy to go and seek her out.

I have not! Don't know her work. My understanding is that you have to earn your way up to writing longer stuff. I'm sure she put in the time.

Julie might enjoy her books, and perhaps you might, but as they are set in the 18th century there's no exploding helicopters. :laughing: There is plenty of battle, war, humor, and lots of historical accuracy. It's classified as romantic fiction, but that really is only a small part of it. There's Sci fi ish themes, as well as adventure, mystery and a tie to reality with historical events. She really researches her books to painstaking accuracy. She was a writer for a scientific journal prior to writing her novels. She did it like you, just for the heck of it and it was already the first three books long when she finally showed it to someone.

That just means your story is a trilogy!

I'm a big fan of the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. She wanted to figure out how to write a novel so she did one "for practice", now she's working on the 9th book in the series and the 3rd season of the Starz adaptation airs this fall. Her books are 1000-ish pages long...keep on writing!

Wonderful news! I was wondering if it were the Guam people or the Oregon ones. Sorry that your first grandchild will be so far away! But I am sure, future postings will bring them closer again.

Be prepared to spend more time than ever on Skype. :goodvibes

We FT them and it's so nice to be able to get caught up with them while seeing their faces. I don't know if he'll be stationed there for the remainder of his 3 years or what, but regardless, it'll sure be nice to have them closer when he's out.

Well that's all that really matters.

Yes, fun is my....

OH, never mind; maybe I'm starting to amass too many of those.

:laughing: Okay! Haven't done that in a long while.
Used to with the kids.

:sail:

Of course you did. I didn't want to disappoint.

You are fun AND predictable!

Those are the weirdest looking dogs I've ever seen.

You can ask @glennbo123 or @englishrose47 if their poop looks like dog. (They still think I brought them doggie doo-doo.)

That looks fake. with that little bit of bright green along the river.
Very interesting!

Very, very dry. That canyon is called Charyn on the border of Kaz and China. It has old cement bunkers still intact every 1/4 mile or so where the border guards would hunker down in.

Love cheetahs. Used to be my favourite animal.
Still might be.... Hmmm.....
I don't have any cheetah carvings in my bathroom however...

Well, yeah! Everyone needs a carved cheetah in their bathroom!

Oh, no! You got hit?

No, we saw it comin'.

That's so cool!
On two levels.

Cool just for me to see it, as I don't think I ever have outside of movies.
And cool that you got to actually see it.

Very cool!

This one pales in comparison to the ones we saw in Thailand, but I don't think I have any photos of those.

Really!
I admire your dedication! Seriously!

I have a bad habit of chasing rabbit trails which can eat up a lot of time.

I make it a point to watch it every year.
It's not Christmas unless I do.

Like me and It's a Wonderful Life.

Well, no. Of course not. A wild animal is still a wild animal. Would you try to pet a raccoon????

I dunnoooo..... they're pretty cute.

Those things are crazy dangerous.
They will bite an animal (or person) and then not worry about it. Eventually the bitten animal will keel over and die from the toxic saliva injected from the bite.

Sounds like a Gila Monster from the desert southwest.

Yeah, maybe.

I'm not saying you're wrong but... I can't imagine Disney not saying "Okay, you're hired, but you'll have to get rid of the coke nails."

But you still could be right.
Devil's advocate.

I was mostly just eliciting conversation. ;)

I could go either way, and really not care... except that it still looks disgusting.

Yes, I can see that.
I need to get on FB and check out your photos. Been a while.

I haven't uploaded any in a very long time. Then again, it's been a very long time since I've done any serious photography either.

We need to start a petition!

My guess is Disney would use it to stock the bathrooms with TP.

Sounds like I'm going on a treasure hunt.

Happy hunting!!
:dancer::banana::cheer2: Congrats to the whole family.

Thanks, Vanessa!

Michelle wanted to have a child so bad. I wanted her to have one for her happiness. Actually having to deal with being a grandparent took some adjustment. I do feel old now.

I know they'll make great parents, but OY! me?! A grandma? Hmmm....

Have a great trip and enjoy your time with your parents.

Thanks! Today was one of my very last days off from work and family stuff to get stuff done, so I made the most of it! I don't leave until Thursday, but I'm packed and have most of my last minute stuff done. :D

Congrats , the girls were my first grandkids and I had double pleasure , I was so happy to be able to see them every day and be there for Judy with Twins!! I would have said there is nothing like being a Grand parent BUT being a GREAT grandparent tops it that little boy is my heart !!

My parents were very, very happy to find out. They never dreamed in their lifetimes they'd be G. Grandparents!

I feel like a lot of TRs I read, people sort of brush over Animal Kingdom. I don't see a lot of pictures of the the park, itself, and that's the aspect of the park I miss the most. However, I feel like you've done a great job capturing the beauty of AK. It really makes me feel like I'm back in Anandapur, so thank you for that!

Congratulations on your real life news! That's very exciting!!

So, any grandparents doing the long-distance thang? How are you handling this? Give me your thoughts.
I can't speak for the grandparent part, but I can say that with today's technologies, my kids stay incredibly close to their grandparents, even with us living in Germany and everyone else back in the states. I try to FaceTime both sets once a week, and Evie has been able to identify and recognize family members since she was about 15 months old. She is as shy as they come, won't even let my good friend whom she sees a few times a week hold her, but had zero issues going right up to my mom when she came for a visit. To be honest, I think if both parties put in the time and effort, everybody can have a wonderful relationship. Now, being able to handle it? That might be the harder part...

The Yeti! He's my favorite too!

It's just a shame that they had to put him down and send him to the taxidermist so they could keep him there though.

Poor thing! He's so misunderstood.

The ribs at Flame Tree? You can see Asia from there, but I didn't realize it was part of Asia... :rolleyes1

I'll admit, those are pretty darned tasty!

Is it even possible to enjoy it like that with 6 million people descending on the park to go to a moon with blue people living on it?

I have no idea!!! And it'll be a while before I find out!

One of those is delicious????

Umm, yes!

And they both really creep a lot people out!

Again... so misunderstood.

Thanks but no thanks. You keep your Latte, and I'll go to Flame Tree and grab some ribs.

Can I have both? Pretty please??

Disney has a drug testing policy, don't they???? :scared:

That will be the first thing I do when I get my job with Doc. ;) and I'm testing that guy first!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter