ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

So, officially now... Congratulations!!

Thanks!! She's having a few health issues so keeping an eye on those.

And... solo.... and then you invite all of your readers to join you!
Which I will if it's still okay.

Ok??

I'm thrilled!

Be prepared to yap all night with my dad.

<raises hand> me, me, me!!! My daughter and her sailor moved 1,000 miles away from us last summer. She took my 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old grandloves with her! Try as I may, I couldn't convince her to even leave the 2 1/2 year old with me. I cried a lot before they left, knowing what I would be missing. It also opened up my eyes to my parents situation, my husband was in the Navy for 20 years and we have NEVER, even in our 'retirement' lived near family. My mom died in 2008 but my dad ever so succinctly said, "Now you know how WE felt!" Yep, Dad, got it! So, I dried my tears, put on my big girl drawers, and got on with life. Really though, grandparenting is the bomb!!! My oldest grandlove calls me 'Grandma the first' (nod to Sophia the first). I wear it with pride. How do we survive going from daily visits to long distance? Facetime IS your friend! And I will occasionally mail a care package with small gifts for my grandloves. And my daughter always texts pictures and we 'talk' by text a lot. She values my experience and advice as her mom-who has 4 children and was a Navy wife for 20 years, as well as my professional nursing advice. And prayer... Congratulations and best wishes!!! Cindy

Hi Cindy! Thanks so much for the encouragement and tips! I wish I could be closer to help her out already. But yes, we'll just have to ramp up our FT dates with them and send goodies. Maybe when my son musters out they'll settle here in Oregon.. :)

My oldest stepson and his family live about 1000 miles from us. But I don't know if it was an age thing or the fact that I was raising littles of my own (stepson is 6 yrs younger than me, I was not quite 30 with 2 1/2, 5 & 6 1/2 year olds when they had their first) but the distance wasn't as daunting. Now that mine are all grown - if any of them ever decide to reproduce, or possibly date someone on a regular basis, I'll let you know if it's different.

Wow, yes! You had your own hands very full! I'm sure you didn't have quite as much time to sit around and think about someone that far away.
Yikes!

Since most of my favorite Disney people hang out here I wondered if anyone had any trips planned for the spring? Preferably during Flower and Garden, but not too close to Easter??

I'm getting ready to start planning a trip and wondered if the odds were in my favor to see/meet any of you.

Hey Tanya, I'd love to do another flower and garden. I'm not sure if it'll work out or not but it sure sounds fun! I'll have to check on when those dates are.

Oh, so much to comment on, but I'm laughing about coke nails now. How is it even possible for them not to break the nail? Mine self destruct if I happen to catch a stiff breeze the wrong way!

ETA - Congratulations! Your full life is getting better and better!

Mine too! (Well if I'm not chewing them up.)

That's why I got acrylic nails. LOL!

Thanks Donna! Getting excited to hold another little one.

Hi
Just poped in and would like to say congratulations on your news.

Thanks, Stuart!! Good times ahead!!

Wow congrats!! This is so exciting!! I'm sure it will not be easy being so far away. But at least the one bonus...the INTERNET that past generations have not had. I know it's not the same as seeing kids face to face, but it certainly beats not even seeing pictures of their daily lives or only being able to talk through terrible connections that we had back in the day with long distance phone calls! I think it will be tough, but manageable and there are lots of ways you will be able to try to stay connected.

I won't lie, I am very grateful for the Internet. FaceTime has worked really well with talking with them. I also think that Emily is coming home after the baby is born for a time. She'll live with her parents in Kentucky, and that's a doable trip for me.

Yes, fun is my....

OH, never mind; maybe I'm starting to amass too many of those.

As long as the initials don't spell out something rude.

You are fun AND predictable!

Dang. I hate being predictable.

You can ask @glennbo123 or @englishrose47 if their poop looks like dog. (They still think I brought them doggie doo-doo.)

So many questions...

Very, very dry. That canyon is called Charyn on the border of Kaz and China. It has old cement bunkers still intact every 1/4 mile or so where the border guards would hunker down in.

Huh!

Well, yeah! Everyone needs a carved cheetah in their bathroom!

But I have.... 3 carvings in there.
Not of cheetahs mind you.

This one pales in comparison to the ones we saw in Thailand,

Wow!

Like me and It's a Wonderful Life.

I try. But there's only so much time. It sometimes takes a miss..

I dunnoooo..... they're pretty cute.

And pretty rabid...

Be prepared to yap all night with my dad.

:laughing: Okay!

The Yeti! He's my favorite too!

It's just a shame that they had to put him down and send him to the taxidermist so they could keep him there though.

Poor thing! He's so misunderstood.

The ribs at Flame Tree? You can see Asia from there, but I didn't realize it was part of Asia... :rolleyes1

I'll admit, those are pretty darned tasty!

Is it even possible to enjoy it like that with 6 million people descending on the park to go to a moon with blue people living on it?

I have no idea!!! And it'll be a while before I find out!

One of those is delicious????

Umm, yes!

And they both really creep a lot people out!

True. But still think they're pretty cool!

Thanks but no thanks. You keep your Latte, and I'll go to Flame Tree and grab some ribs.

I do like the ribs, but TBH, they were a bit dry last time I had them.

Disney has a drug testing policy, don't they???? :scared:

You'd think!!!!

OK, I'll come along!

YAY!!! So glad to have you!

That's nice that they included a tribute to them. Disney is great about that sort of thing!

I love this! It's not just the Disney greats, but others who've achieved some pretty fabulous feats too.

I think I'll starve.

I thought you liked caviar. No?

I would have ordered the bottom one on the menu! Junmai means premium!

I didn't know that! I suppose I could have assumed that by the price that it was top shelf, but well.... Letter 'H'. ;)

It's really a thing, check out www.guitarplayernails.com

I know, I know. Was mostly just creating a discussion point and playing Devil's Advocate.

Nice picture of you all!

Thanks! Kudos to Random Joe Stranger.

Wow, congratulations to both you and them! That's wonderful news! I'm sorry they'll be so far away--that will be hard, I'm sure. I have a brother who lives in New Hampshire, so my parents only get to see them and their kids a couple of times a year. That's not easy. Use Skype, Facetime, or whatever tools you have available!

Thanks, Mark! It's an exciting time for them. A few potentially icky health issues for mom have cropped up, so praying about that.

Definitely going to use FT for sure!

Cool! Always nice to get a break.

::yes::

Congratulations! I'm sure it must be difficult being so far away.

Luckily Andrew only has about 3 more years in the Service, and traveling to somewhere in the US, wherever they end up settling down, will be more doable!

I totally understand about things being lean. But perhaps an Amazon Prime membership might be cheaper than a plane ticket! Guam is considered part if the US Postal service.

I see lots of care packages in my future!

Mums the word. You know I mostly only post stuff about food or band.

I love all of your posts about both!!

Oooo, are those things supposed to be her kids and husband? Ouch!!

Scary, no??

I've seen that look.

I'm sure you have! It's fairly universal...

Now who would make a joke like that?!

Guilty! :wave:

Who indeed? (You do know I shamelessly stole it from you, right?)

Ooooo! Love this one! What colors!

It was definitely one of the more brilliant ones in there.

I'll bet it's for sitar picking.

You seem to be in the majority. Next time I see him, I'll ask.

Oh, I think those bark-animal thingies are new in that photo-op area. (At least new to me.)

I hadn't seen them before either. I think you are right. I also think they added them there because most of the trails were closed for setting up the ROL show that got you closer to them.

I know I posted a big long congrats and response about long distance Grandmaness, but it's not here. Maybe on the other thread :rotfl2: Anyway, CONGRATS!!!:jumping1: Make the most of Skype and visit as often as you can. Oh, and plan trips to Disney!

This takes on a whole new meaning in an update that you'll see on my Bonus features like six months or so from now! :laughing:

Hmm.... now that's intriguing!

I'm not sure how many bathrooms you have, but Fran and I each have our own bathrooms. I have to stock them with toilet paper, but she at least tells me when she is running low in hers. I would think that your kids would not enjoy being stuck high and dry!

Only 2 VERY small ones. It's close (within arm's reach) under the cabinet and they can reach it; they're just not willing to actually stick it ON the holder. Because that would take an extra 10 seconds more, ya know.

Well at least you have $$'s coming in!

That I do. But hadn't eaten dinner with my family all week. Literally. This many hours may not be worth it.

No worry. You don't need to multi quote when you're that busy. I give up that luxury when I'm trying to catch up!

Saying it's been a struggle lately is an .... understatement.

So is this the trip to the parents where you have invited folks to a DISmeet at your parents?

YES!!!!

Wanna join????

Well, I would love to go to Montreal or Quebec City, but we haven't. I always wanted to go to N'Orleans, and did that but Fran was sick the whole time. I'd also love to take her to Hawaii, she's never been but I've been three times. Not so much money, although that is currently something hanging over us. Hopefully not for too long. Mostly her health. We had several years of venal ulcers, and a while of broken leg and arthritis drugs no working. It's complicated.

I'd love to see both of those cities as well. I've only ever been to Calgary and a few places north, Banff, Jasper, and some of the places on the way there in Alberta. I've seen a bit of BC as well, but not much. Eastern Canada (in the summer) would be nice to visit!

NOLA was fun, but I'd likely not go back. Kinda been, there done it for me.

And Hawaii? YES, YES, YES!!!!! (Aulani!)

I completely understand about the money and health issues!! Totally!!! I really, REALLY hope both of those resolve and you 2 can be on your happy, traveling way again!

Realized I didn't actually say congrats on your new hat! The digital world definitely will make it easier to be so far away, and all those hours may make a trip possible sooner than you thought.
Awww, thanks, Irene! :)

I hope I can indeed make a visit to see them sometime after Baby is born. Gives me one more great reason to go to Guam!

For your question- I would love to do a whole bunch of travel with dh, just the 2 of us. Cross off a bunch of places on our bucket lists - Hawaii and Vegas for me, Europe for him, Australia for both of us...but maybe not all in one trip, lol.

Those all sound like amazing places to go! It seems as though Australia is on a lot of folks' lists on here!

:hug: No worries, Liesa!
We all understand that life sometimes means the DIS has to take a back seat.
And you certainly sound busy!
Get here when you can and don't worry about it.
We'll be here waiting for you.

Well, there are a few of you left. :) Thanks for being patient with me.

Between work, home, flight school, 2 TRs, a trip to plan, it's been..... stressful.

Woot!
When do you actually fly out?

I leave in the wee hours Thursday AM. Like 3:15AM from my house early. No sketchy hotels for me this time.

So many things.
Off the top of my head, I'd love to learn to fly, like you are. I'd like to see New Zealand and Australia but the time commitment on that is huge. Road trip. As in at least a month. Mind you I'm hoping to do that one in the next year or two.
I wouldn't mind doing those with the woman of my dreams, but... she's pretty busy herself so I don't think that's going to happen.

You'd already be SO far ahead of me since you already work in that industry. For me, it's a completely new vocabulary, new concepts, everything! So foreign and well... difficult.

I'd love to go to Australia as well.

Road trips are awesome! Love that! Let me know if you make up to the PNW! :)

Interesting...

Indeed!

Well, enjoy the extra income... sorry for the added strain on your schedule though. You've certainly got your plate full at this point!

Yeah, kinda not very fun right now. :(

Astronaut - because let's be honest, there are like 5 people who get to do this. But I flew the hell out of that space shuttle simulator at space camp when I was in 8th grade.

OK, yeah that'd cool!!! BUT! After 4 weeks of Ground School, I now know that that'd be something WAY out of my league. (I suck at all video games and have not ever tried a simulator, so I'm DQd already.)

It's got to be a tour of Australia and New Zealand .But it's so far away that you must go for a minimum of four weeks to see it all.
Coming a very close second is the West coast of the USA for four weeks to see most of it at a leasurely pace.

You and many others also on this thread. That is very interesting.

Please! If you ever make it to the West Coast, DO let me know! I would love to meet you and give you tips on worthwhile places to visit. Obviously, Cali has the most to see and do, but the PNW is certainly not to be passed up with its beautiful coastline, mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, etc...

Hey, we understand! I'm glad you have some extra income to help out. And if there's only a week until you get a break, that's even better!

The income is nice, but I"m not sure the complete void of family time is worth it. I've been getting the closing shifts which voids out dinners with the family. Sucky at best.

BUT! Now it's only 4 full days until I leave! Huzzah!

The number 1 trip is Australia/New Zealand. Still on the bucket list. I'd really like to explore Europe too. Sometimes I get the Adventures By Disney catalog just to look at the itineraries and daydream about what it would be like to be able to afford it.

Adding to the long list of Australia voters. A BIG DISMeet there would be really nice! But $$$$$.

Europe may be more doable! Certainly loads to see there!

(Daydreamers, unite!)

If I knew I could be successful (and if I had the discipline to devote the time), I'd love to write novels and/or make movies. I love a good story.

You, as others have said, would be very good at that! Dream, pursue, enjoy!

Me too! Sometimes all you can do is show you're still reading.

That's about where I am right now.

I thought of a few things... but time has ravaged this ol' shell and I know that there are some things that will never be.
I restricted myself to things that I can still conceivably do.

This.

You'd be very good at that.
I don't say that lightly.

::yes::

The place I would love to travel is Australia/New Zealand. I was close once but we were not able to go. I was able to spend an amazing week in Bali. I also would love to visit Scotland, Ireland, and England.

You too!!! WOW! This an almost unanimous consensus!

But Bali!!! OH heck yes! I'd almost place that above Australia.

I really hope that you will get to go and enjoy these places soon!

You too!!! WOW! This an almost unanimous consensus!

But Bali!!! OH heck yes! I'd almost place that above Australia.

I really hope that you will get to go and enjoy these places soon!

Bali was AMAZING. I was there before it was a known hot spot for American tourists. We were a group of 25 and we never met another North American. We did meet a lot of Europeans and Australians. When I was 15 I went to Boliva for the summer. When I was 16 I went to Indonesia and the last week we were there we spent it in Bali.

I had the good fortune to spend two weeks in New Zealand and we truly loved it! I would still love to go to Australia as well since I have a built in tour guide in Melbourne! Maybe we should try and plan a big ole DISmeet downunder and see if we can get some kind of discount travel rate as a group. We don't have to hang out together, but we could book blocks of rooms and such!

Alison, that would be amazing!!! I would love that very much!!

I would hope we could do at least a little bit of touring together, but a group travel discount might be a great way to get some folks down there. :)

I like the way you think!

For me for a long time the answer would have been Japan. But now I have a flight booked for this summer! Travelwise the other big destination would be Hawaii. It is just sooo far from Europe to get there. I also would love to learn scuba diving, but I have asthma and that excludes me for health reasons from that sport... I also want to finally get my act together to improve my running so that I can run a half marathon. The only thing preventing me from this however is my self discipline (oh and some injuries along the way).

WAHOOTY!!! So great to see your travel dream come true!

I can see why Hawaii hasn't been done yet for you. So far! And sadly, yeah, SCUBA and asthma don't mix so well. Then again, does your asthma make running hard too? I remember you used to run a lot... you've taken a break from that?

That could probably be said for most of us. When it's the less interesting or less active places in Disney, that's what causes (directly or indirectly) to have them go away. I still remember fondly when I was a kid and going to 20,000 leagues under the sea. Because of the magic of Disney or my youthful naivety, I didn't realize the subs never actually submerged. When that went away, I was bummed, but I think it was simply the ride took too long to load and unload and so was replaced with something that either was more popular or could handle more riders or both.

First of all, please forgive me for taking so long to get to responses! Normally, I'm much better at keeping up, but life's gotten away from me these last couple of weeks.

I do think Disney has lately done a MUCH better job at making the queues more interesting and fun for the whole family. Maybe that'll keep crowd interested and coming back. I hope so! While I don't mind change, it's sad to see good stuff go the wayside. (Like Mr. Toad!)

Might I get you to chat with my DW? Maybe YOU could change her mind.

Haha! Anytime!

First of all, I love your pictures, although I couldn't find hidden Mickey in the dino (stegasaurus?) picture. Took me a while to find it in toy story mural, but then again, that's why they call 'em hidden.

Thanks! The stegasaurus one is LARGE!!!! Think big!

Same thing I've said after mission trips to Mexico, Jamaica and St Croix. Most people think of Jamaica and St Croix as vacation spots, but when you get away from the tourist areas, the poverty is stark. In Mexico, we had people inviting us into shacks (what our kids would call forts) made of cardboard boxes, pallets and held together with scraps of wire. We are definitely spoiled in N Amer. with regards to standard of living compared to many around the world. Our kids complain if they don't have the latest Xbox/Playstation/whatever and many kids around the world don't have a TV much less a video game system connected to it. Many kids don't have a phone much less the latest greatest cell phone.
Thank you!! Someone "gets it". I wish more kids would go on outreaches to get a fresh perspective on real life for so many.

I'll pass on the chai latte. I'm a tea drinker, but never have cared for chai and aside from a milkshake, not big on sweetened milk "stuff". Glad you like it and that's what's great about Disney...everyone can find something they like.

The frozen chai latte is like a smoothie. So not sure if you'd like it. But you're right! Lots for everyone- enough so that we can go back over and over and still keep finding new stuff to do or like. :)

Still behind reading all of your TR...I'm trying to catch up. :o

... so am I. ;)

Congratulations!!!!

Thanks!! An exciting time!!

Is your son in the Air Force? I was in years ago and I know many folks in Guam are stationed at the AFB there. If yes, then thank him for his service and that of your DIL, you and your family. People who've never been in the military or had family who was don't realize it's a sacrifice for the whole family.

He is in the Army. Oddly, he's in the Army, lives on an AF Base, and works at a Naval Base. Guam.... home of the wild and crazy Armed Forces mishmash.

I will pass along your salutations! They are struggling to make friendships and with his Panama schedule it's hard for him to really be present for my DIL. He flops from days to nights and back every 2 months, and that makes it adjusting hard.

Can't say I know how the long distance thang works as a grandparent, but save up your money if you can and take a flight to Guam. Since it's a US territory, I believe the flights are cheaper and you don't need a passport. I know from my experience away from family, letters, phone calls, video chat, etc. are a big help.

That is definitely in the plan, perhaps this Fall? We just don't know. The cheapest one I've found so far is $700. Not bad, not great either.

Take a look at google maps for someplace dry (Mexico, Nevada, etc.) Then look for the little strip of green...it's a river. The disparity is amazing.

Yep!

Glad you have the extra income. Sorry that means you can't multiquote. <sarchasm> I'm not as busy and I don't multiquote...too time consuming even on a computer.

It does take a bit of extra time. :) And I miss the more frequent chatter between good friends. Soon, I'll be able to be back more often; at least that's the hope.

Hope you enjoy your vacation/time away.

Thanks! Leaving early Thursday morning! YAY!!!!

For me, there are three places I still want to go:
Germany, New Zealand, Ireland.
Germany - was supposed to go there when I was in AF, but didn't - long, depressing story.
New Zealand - Watching lord of the rings, seeing the vast beauty/variety there.
Ireland - Dream of my mom's and I would love to be able to take her.

Germany is AMAZING!!! Loved it!

If you'd like to share that story you certainly have an interested audience among friends here. :)

MY DIL was just there in NZ and went to all those filming places. She saw Hobbiton and the lake where Frodo left the Fellowship and all. She loved it!!!

I really hope you can take your mom there soon!!! That would be very special indeed!

I actually did try writing a novel several years ago, back when I had time and fewer kids. I kind of gave up as my free time dwindled. I also found that my work was basically unpublishable--I was right around the word limit for what was generally being published at the time and was only halfway done!:faint:

:worship:

Wow! So impressed!

Mark, give it another try when you feel you have the time. I think you have a special gift for this!

Congratulations on the increased hours/part time officialness. Can't feel guilty at all about spending your time working/with family/doing things you love like flight school, you are just in the same boat as everyone else; too many things we all want to do, and too little time. If I had the time and the funding, I would study art. It was fantastic to spend a week in Paris just going to museums, although my brain got very full, so I know that I need way more time to soak things in. Not even sure if I like the art or the architecture more, maybe just equally!

Thanks, Donna!!

I know... just feeling a bit overstretched right now. It'll pass as our company hires more RNs. :) Just need to hang on with the full-time schedule until then.

You definitely should pursue the art! Could you do any self-study until you could make it more official? Are you thinking college classes?

Still convinced of it. ;)

Yes, poo that tastes just like salty milk curds. ;)

I feel like a lot of TRs I read, people sort of brush over Animal Kingdom. I don't see a lot of pictures of the the park, itself, and that's the aspect of the park I miss the most. However, I feel like you've done a great job capturing the beauty of AK. It really makes me feel like I'm back in Anandapur, so thank you for that!

Well, then I have good news for you..... there is still yet more to come! :)

You are very welcome! Still have a couple of shows and a tour to report on.

Congratulations on your real life news! That's very exciting!!

Thanks!! Exciting for sure!!!!

I can't speak for the grandparent part, but I can say that with today's technologies, my kids stay incredibly close to their grandparents, even with us living in Germany and everyone else back in the states. I try to FaceTime both sets once a week, and Evie has been able to identify and recognize family members since she was about 15 months old. She is as shy as they come, won't even let my good friend whom she sees a few times a week hold her, but had zero issues going right up to my mom when she came for a visit. To be honest, I think if both parties put in the time and effort, everybody can have a wonderful relationship. Now, being able to handle it? That might be the harder part...

That's really encouraging news! It CAN be done. I'm looking forward to being a gramma, just not sure how it'll all play out yet. :)

As long as the initials don't spell out something rude.

Rude is NOT one of my middle names. At least I hope not!

Dang. I hate being predictable.

Predictable in all the right ways??

So many questions...

White, salty. Not much else to say.

14929372-Kurt-a-national-food-in-Kazakhstan-Stock-Photo.jpg

But I have.... 3 carvings in there.
Not of cheetahs mind you.

What are they (the 3 you have) of?

I try. But there's only so much time. It sometimes takes a miss..

Did you forget to finish your sentence?

I know I posted a big long congrats and response about long distance Grandmaness, but it's not here. Maybe on the other thread :rotfl2: Anyway, CONGRATS!!!:jumping1: Make the most of Skype and visit as often as you can. Oh, and plan trips to Disney!

Thanks, Tammie!!! Super exciting for sure, but feeling a bit removed as they are so far away. Not sure how it'll all play out.

But yes, Disney trips! :)

Bali was AMAZING. I was there before it was a known hot spot for American tourists. We were a group of 25 and we never met another North American. We did meet a lot of Europeans and Australians. When I was 15 I went to Boliva for the summer. When I was 16 I went to Indonesia and the last week we were there we spent it in Bali.

It's definitely on my bucket list, but I gotta say it, W. Africa is a bit higher still. I really hope someday that our trip there to set up the health clinics will pan out. What did you like about Bali? Food? Beaches? People?

Okay, Friends:

I think I'm caught up on replies here and need to switch over to the other thread for a bit. But not tonight. Tuckered out and church comes early.

Still am hoping to get an update up before I leave on Thursday early, but ran into a snag with getting the phone photos when I got my new iPhone. And... it'll take me quite some time to visit all of your lovely threads and get caught up there too. BUT! I'm scheduled for a 12 hr. shift on Monday, and half a day Tuesday.
I have Wednesday off, but I'll have a crap-ton of last minute things to do, and I leave at 3:00AM Thursday. On the plane??? Maybe........?

Between work, home, flight school, 2 TRs, a trip to plan, it's been..... stressful.

:hug:

I leave in the wee hours Thursday AM. Like 3:15AM from my house early. No sketchy hotels for me this time.

Good. That last place sounded like a great place to find a chalk outline of someone.

You'd already be SO far ahead of me since you already work in that industry. For me, it's a completely new vocabulary, new concepts, everything! So foreign and well... difficult.

Maybe... but up here... $$$. Don't think I could justify it.

Road trips are awesome! Love that! Let me know if you make up to the PNW! :)

It's in the plans.

I would hope we could do at least a little bit of touring together, but a group travel discount might be a great way to get some folks down there. :)

Count me out I'm afraid. Ruby does not do groups. Strangers especially.

Rude is NOT one of my middle names. At least I hope not!

Not that I've noticed, actually.

Predictable in all the right ways??

:sad2:

What are they (the 3 you have) of?

Turtles.

Not tortoises.

Did you forget to finish your sentence?

Nope. Just meant that sometimes I can't watch it because I run out of time.

And... it'll take me quite some time to visit all of your lovely threads and get caught up there too.

No worries Liesa. You've got your hands full right now.
Sounds like just the right time to take a vacation. :)

Thanks!! An exciting time!!
I know...I've got grandchildren, so I do know! Happy for you (except the separation thing).

He is in the Army. Oddly, he's in the Army, lives on an AF Base, and works at a Naval Base. Guam.... home of the wild and crazy Armed Forces mishmash.

I will pass along your salutations! They are struggling to make friendships and with his Panama schedule it's hard for him to really be present for my DIL. He flops from days to nights and back every 2 months, and that makes it adjusting hard.

Is mishmash also spelled insanity? :crazy2:
If talking to someone who's been through it would help, PM me and I'll give ya my email and cell to pass along to him. I was stationed in Korea away from my family (when I should have been in Germany with my family), so I understand all too well the sadness. At least he's got his immediate family with him. That's helps.

That is definitely in the plan, perhaps this Fall? We just don't know. The cheapest one I've found so far is $700. Not bad, not great either.
I don't recall the site(s), but I think maybe pricewatch.com (not sure?) allows you to track the prices for the flight you want and it will send you alerts if the prices rise or drop. If you do a search for airline ticket price watch, you should find some.

Thanks! Leaving early Thursday morning! YAY!!!!
I see you're responding, so guess you're back. Hope it was wonderful.

Germany is AMAZING!!! Loved it!

If you'd like to share that story you certainly have an interested audience among friends here. :)

MY DIL was just there in NZ and went to all those filming places. She saw Hobbiton and the lake where Frodo left the Fellowship and all. She loved it!!!

I really hope you can take your mom there soon!!! That would be very special indeed!

Well, it's a depressing story for me, but maybe not for others. I was selected for a 4 year assignment to Germany, but I only had about a year or so left on my enlistment. I started learning German and learning about the culture and was looking forward to many aspects (beer, food, driving fast on autobahn, scenery, castles, seeing WWII battle places --- and not necessarily in that order). I was given the choice to re-enlist and get a bonus or to extend my current enlistment for 3 years. I believe all the services (except maybe the navy since they spend 6 months at sea and then 6 months home in general) have a concept called retainability. I had to have 4 years of retainability for the assignment and only had 1. Well, since military folks are not the best paid, I opted for the money (duh!). Exactly two weeks after I re-enlisted, they cancelled my assignment to Germany with my family and sent me for a year to Korea by myself. If I had extended to take the assignment and the assignment was cancelled, then I could've cancelled the extension, but because I had re-enlisted, I was stuck (and that, in my mind was spelled s c r e w e d). So, I never got to see Germany and spent a VERY long year in Korea. I got selected for another assignment to Germany when I had about a year left on that enlistment, but a) I had already made up my mind I no longer wanted the military as a career and b) fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I think I'd rather take my mom to Ireland first...before it's too late, then Germany, then NZ. Unless of course someone in Germany or NZ is seeing this and wants to offer me a job!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter