The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I'm sorry to hear of your neck, car and money woes. Hopefully you got all that unpleasantness out of the way and are on your way to a better 2020 :hug:

I know it probably sounded like me being a huge whiner and baby. :( It's funny how grumpy and negative pain can make you as I said on FB yesterday. I think I've finally turned the corner and while the arm definitely still has pain that starts in my armpit and ends with tingling in my hand, it IS getting better.

That looks amazing! I'm truly surprised my DS has never ordered this. I'm sure he could polish off the whole thing himself :rotfl2:

I"m certain of it! I've eaten almost half myself on occasion and I'm a small eater.

I had no idea. How cool! Did you do a tour to learn that?
No, I started poking around on the internet a while back because I really like to know the backstory to areas and the little gems and details to look for. This was a new discovery when I wrote this chapter. :)

Thank you for saving me the good side :laughing: Your pictures of my tree are just gorgeous:love:

My pleasure!! ;) Thanks, Kelly. The lighting was pretty good this time around!

Thanks! I was particularly proud of those shots. :)

Looks like a lovely restaurant but I literally have no desire to ever eat there :rotfl:
It's definitely not for everyone with the menu being pretty authentic and true to one cuisine. But, it is lovely in its own right and if you ever have extra time I think it'd be worth popping in to just see it.

I'm sorry to hear of your neck, car and money woes. Hopefully you got all that unpleasantness out of the way and are on your way to a better 2020 :hug:

I know it probably sounded like me being a huge whiner and baby. :( It's funny how grumpy and negative pain can make you as I said on FB yesterday. I think I've finally turned the corner and while the arm definitely still has pain that starts in my armpit and ends with tingling in my hand, it IS getting better.

That looks amazing! I'm truly surprised my DS has never ordered this. I'm sure he could polish off the whole thing himself :rotfl2:

I"m certain of it! I've eaten almost half myself on occasion and I'm a small eater.

I had no idea. How cool! Did you do a tour to learn that?
No, I started poking around on the internet a while back because I really like to know the backstory to areas and the little gems and details to look for. This was a new discovery when I wrote this chapter. :)

Thank you for saving me the good side :laughing: Your pictures of my tree are just gorgeous:love:

My pleasure!! ;) Thanks, Kelly. The lighting was pretty good this time around!

Thanks! I was particularly proud of those shots. :)

Looks like a lovely restaurant but I literally have no desire to ever eat there :rotfl:
It's definitely not for everyone with the menu being pretty authentic and true to one cuisine. But, it is lovely in its own right and if you ever have extra time I think it'd be worth popping in to just see it.

I really enjoyed this update. It's nice to get 2 different perspectives on the same meal. I do agree that this is a lot of food. I don't think I would ever get this particular meal since I don't like sushi (please don't ban me from the trip report) bu I think I would have better luck with eating the beef than you did. I really do love steak and I've never had something this fine.

Thanks, Vanessa!! I thought it'd be fun for folks to have that side-by-side review as well. :) I think the bottom line is that we both really enjoyed it. :)

OH never!! I know sushi is definitely a like it or hate it kind of food! :hug: I honestly think one of the entrees like the seabass or the beef is plenty for a sitting. But do go into it knowing you're going to shell out a lot. Especiallly if you add in a cocktail and dessert or something. I hope you can get there someday as a nice breakaway from the hustle and bustle a busy park day.

I loved your review of Takumi Tei. It sounds like an amazing place, but I don't think it is for me. It sounded all a bit too fishy for me - or there is very expensive steak. I wonder how well it is doing? Is it difficult to get a reservation there?

I think you could do a meal without fish, but having said that I also think they use a lot of "fish" flavors in the seasonings, so you could be right. As for how popular it is? That I don't know. I haven't seen ANY other reviews, but honestly haven't had time to just hang out on the dining boardss in a long, LONG time. I'm taking a little break from Disney this year as I'm focusing on my cruise, so less research in general. :)
Even though we never did any real high end dining while we were in Japan, I was always impressed how much effort was put into presentation. Even at simple places and little cafes. It made meals far more of an experience. And it looks that Takumi-Tei really excels in that regard!

It's really quite an art and I do know that that culture places a super high value on the dining experience, and alll aesthetics really. And yes, I think it was on par with the flavors and food quality.

(Also checking in since you wanted to hear from people who haven't been around. I think I am finally back on track! And hope to spend some more sensible time on the DIS!)

Thanks, Magdalene! It's so good to hear from you! Sounds like things are starting to settle down again for you and you are able to start having a regular routine. I'll look forward to "seeing" you more. Speaking of that.... ;)

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

Yeah, sorry! It was the exact same update, but with more boring commentary. LOL!

And the exact same photos, except the ones over opposite sides of the table.

I like that art. Looks like a neat atmosphere.

It was so understated and calming. Loved it!

I told @pkondz that was the greatest napkin fold I've ever seen! :rolleyes1

YAY for you! I grant you 30 points!

:wizard:

I'm nice like that. (I can do that right pkondz?)

Pretty sure that's mustard and gravy. You're welcome.

Sure, let's go with that. Although it was better.

This could mean literally anything. It could be the gravest of insults, and I would have no idea.

Yes you would have. They'd have been snickering the entire meal.

I thought that was the Japanese Mafia.

I saw no shady dudes sihouetted behind the cherry blossoms.

Pun intended.

:scared1: I can imagine the panic!

It was so odd.

"Don't worry ma'am, we only charge $150 for that glass. It's only ever paired with Wagyu.

Sounds like exactly what pkondz thought, too. Now I need to try Japanese wagyu!

Run! (And don't leave your (fat) wallet on the dresser.)

Meat-heavy! Sounds perfect! :rotfl:

I may have been thinking of you as I wrote this.

It's like my ears are burning for some reason.
I may have been thinking of you at this point too. ;)

I opted for the:

Sakurajima Kaiyo: Japanese whisky sour with smoked cherrywood $15 (on the left up there)

I love the presentation of these drinks!!

I am glad you tried the tasting menu - so I could see what it's all about lol. I think that's awesome that you tried some things that you would not have gotten to otherwise. I think I'd be too chicken that I wouldn't like enough of them to make that worthwhile. That cake looked really interesting! What a fun meal that looked like!

Did I miss something though? What was the deal with the wine?

And I'd not even know the difference!! LOL!
:laughing:
LOLOL!! <wherein pkondz gets smacked with a cane again>
Why does this keep happening to me???
In all seriousness, I think most people around the world are pretty gracious (well, except the French, in my past experience) when it comes to someone trying to practice and use a local language. Most are flattered you are trying. I don't believe that Japanese is a tonal langauge so you would have that on your side.
I found the French gracious as well. I know we had very different experiences there though.
Piffle back. This chapter's writing stunk. I need to get back on my game.
Well, it did have the detraction of having me in it, so...
Funky is good? Buahahaha!
Of course it is... I give you exhibit A:

Play that funky music white boy
Play that funky music right
Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die…

Great, now I'm compelled to bring up my 70s mix on Pandora. (yes, I'm old-school on that)
Not at all surprised. :)
And yet, not obtrusive or in your face.
::yes::
I think I'm pretty decent as well, but I literally had NO idea what MOST of what the hostess was saying about the entryway.
Huh. Wish I'd known. I could've translated.
I"ve been eating it since I was very, very young.
Really! It's fairly recent for me.
As a small girl when sushi was not even "a thing", my grandparents would take me/us out for dinner at the same place every Friday night when I was with them and we sat at the "tempura bar". We'd always order sushi and made-tableside tempura. Sigh.... fond memories....
Lucky! I didn't have sushi until well into adulthood.
While it may have seemed an small intrusion to take photos, I think we were both very discreet and we didn't take an overly many. :)
Hmmm... if you call discreet shooting every single plate... then yes.
I'd have been happy actually to have had 2 more pieces of sushi and no osso bucco at all.
Not I. I am glad I had that. It was so good! (If too big)
This correct. This wasabi was amazing! Mild, smooth as butter.
One of the few instances I wouldn't have clubbed or whacked you!
Phew! Dodged one.
Sooo.... you liked it?
I did. I just didn't love it as much as you did.
For me, while it was good, it was probably my least favourite part of the meal. But that doesn't mean it wasn't good. That's more a reflection on just how good the rest was!
Hey! I did my research too.

Probably from the same source as you. :rolleyes1
I think matcha is bitter generally. I could have been crass and asked for some sugar, but I absolutely daren't not!!
<As the head chef comes barreling out of the kitchen waving a cleaver>
It'd be so fantastic if they had a little lounge in there serving ONLY (maybe?) Japanese wines, beers, spirits for a repsite from the day. I'd even pay a small cover charge (crap! I hope the suits aren't reading!) to spend an hour or two in there with a drink and some quiet after going halfway around WS.
I'd go there!
YAY for you! I grant you 30 points!

:wizard:

I'm nice like that. (I can do that right pkondz?)
Nope

Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!

I didn't know this! Now I want to look out for it next time I go on KS. I wonder if you can spot it from the fastpass line?

Wow, your meal sounded very in-depth and delicious. What an experience. I've heard Japanese wagu is like nothing else, one day I'll have to try it for myself.

J is for Jubilant, Joyous Jaunt Through the Magic Kingdom!
(Yes, all of the photos are from THE trip I'm reporting on.)

Make your way up the merriest of Streets,
Listen to ragtime and sample sweet treats.

Allemande left with background of trolley,
Stop for a few, it makes one's heart jolly!

(Apparently, the trolley isn't the only way these folks roll.)

Gather around, music and glee
Perfection of places, don’t you agree?

Into the distance we hasten our cadence,
Leaving today for fantasy, there's a sense of impatience.

Circus trains bringing astonishing shows,
Peanuts and popcorn, feather in pachyderm nose.

(The hat tip to the Carolwood makes me smile rather largely.)

Kids of all ages and sizes can come to this place,
Finding a coaster that fits their own pace.

In case one is in need of some extra first aid,
Goofini’s supplies are proudly displayed!

Need your neck re-adjusted or wrecked?
No problem at all, follow the flags black and white checked.

(We interrupt this horrible attempt at poetry for a PIT STOP!!! It's a different sort of pit stop than found at 'race car' arenas! Sorry, I make a lot of these.)

Galaxies out there both near and afar,
Starports can take you or electric car.

(The Seven-Five is a nice touch. :) )

(not my image, pilfered off the net)

Down by the water the Liberty Belle,
Chugs on the water, take a seat, say farewell.

(
Here's (<< that’s a link to an article) a nice history and some facts, if you're interested, but I also took the opportunity to talk to the engineer onboard and learned something more. The AUTHENTIC steam engines, that use the water from the river converting it to steam, are oiled and checked every. single. hour!!)

Once on your journey around Riverbend,
Cabins, and grottos, and Indian friend.

Markets await you with our tour halfway done,
Now…do you see what I did with the tale that I’ve spun?

To be continued....

And now it's YOUR TURN:

Of the quieter, non-dark, non-thrill rides, perhaps a show-type, but could be a "ride", which do you enjoy most? Ideas that come to mind: Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle, COP, IaSW, even Swiss Family.... Choose one or two and tell us why.

Last edited:
I love the presentation of these drinks!!

So unique and classy!

I am glad you tried the tasting menu - so I could see what it's all about lol. I think that's awesome that you tried some things that you would not have gotten to otherwise. I think I'd be too chicken that I wouldn't like enough of them to make that worthwhile. That cake looked really interesting! What a fun meal that looked like!

I am too; it was worth it to do once to get a good overview of what is offered. I think less adventurous eaters should definitely go with an entree that sounds good to them. The cake is such a misnomer. It's really not "cake" at all, but more of a "jello" for lack of a better way to describe it.

Did I miss something though? What was the deal with the wine?

I wanted to talk to the sommolier or at least SEE a wine list, not just have a glass of mystery wine just show up at the table. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say that something was lost in translation/understanding/language barrier, but it was shocking a bit and definitely disconcerting.

Why does this keep happening to me???

We have canes?
I found the French gracious as well. I know we had very different experiences there though.

Yes, but.... ummm, you were speaking French. I was trying to use the 10 words and 2 phrases I knew. Or thought I knew. :rolleyes:

Well, it did have the detraction of having me in it, so...

The ladies on this thread thought so. ;)

Of course it is... I give you exhibit A:

Play that funky music right
Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die…

Okay that is a seriously good point.

I'll include more funky from now on.

Huh. Wish I'd known. I could've translated.

Ooooh, so you speak French AND Japanese! Impressive!!!

Really! It's fairly recent for me.

I'm glad you found it and like it!

Hmmm... if you call discreet shooting every single plate... then yes.

They were super quick raise the phone and click and being that there were so few other diners near us, I think it was ok. Especially since the couple right next to us was gone for half the time watching Illuminations.

OF NOTE: I was recently in another fine dining situation (PM me if you want details, reluctant to share the nitty gritty here) where someone at our table was discreety asked to refrain from photos during a certain portion of our meal. I don't know if the server meant he'd prefer photos not be taken at all for the remainder of the meal (his words were, "to preserve the atmosphere and ambiance of the dining experience, we'd ask you that photos not be taken...." and I missed the rest of what he added at that point, so can't be sure) or just for that course? But it's the first time I've ever heard of that happening.

I did. I just didn't love it as much as you did.
For me, while it was good, it was probably my least favourite part of the meal. But that doesn't mean it wasn't good. That's more a reflection on just how good the rest was!

I can see that too. The rest was amazingly delicious.

<As the head chef comes barreling out of the kitchen waving a cleaver>
Which makes the origin of the osso bucco a bit suspect... :scared:

I didn't know this! Now I want to look out for it next time I go on KS. I wonder if you can spot it from the fastpass line?

And that may be why I've never seen it!! I honestly don't think in ALL my years of going to WDW that I've EVER ridden it stand-by!! So I sincerely don't know!
Wow, your meal sounded very in-depth and delicious. What an experience. I've heard Japanese wagu is like nothing else, one day I'll have to try it for myself.
Well, being that it's only served at 10 restaurants in the US (no idea about abroad) this may be your best bet!

I adore the Liberty Belle! Such a nice respite from the busyness of the park.
(Here's a nice history and some facts, if you're interested, but I also took the opportunity to talk to the engineer onboard and learned something more. The AUTHENTIC steam engines that use the water from the river converting it to steam are oiled and checked every. single. hour!!)
I did not know that! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ahhhhhh. Your photos have transported me so wonderfully to a land that has colors other than white. I especially enjoyed the salute to H. So peaceful and relaxing -- and stimulating and invigorating -- to take my time looking through them.

The idea of the tasting menu sounds appealing. The debate I often have with myself when eating out is to try something new (and depending upon the $ don't necessarily want to find out it's not something I enjoy) versus sticking with tried and true.

I have no idea how big Hemet is. When you lived there did you ever run into a woman last name of Bombard?

Glad the recovery seems to be more in line with your wishes.

Ahhhhhh. Your photos have transported me so wonderfully to a land that has colors other than white. I especially enjoyed the salute to H. So peaceful and relaxing -- and stimulating and invigorating -- to take my time looking through them.

I'm so glad they've served their purpose. :hug: That makes me feel good!
The idea of the tasting menu sounds appealing. The debate I often have with myself when eating out is to try something new (and depending upon the $ don't necessarily want to find out it's not something I enjoy) versus sticking with tried and true.

You are definitely not alone in that! Sometimes it's just better to play it safe and know you'll enjoy dinner.

I have no idea how big Hemet is. When you lived there did you ever run into a woman last name of Bombard?

I don't recall that name, but my parents may sure remember. I will ask. :)

Glad the recovery seems to be more in line with your wishes.
It's definitely and up and down sort of pathway. Some days are better than others of course. Earlier this week, I'd thought the pain was going to just be mostly all gone. This weekend? Not so much. Either way, I have to go back to work in 2 1/2 weeks.

Listen to ragtime and sample sweet treats.
That's one of my favourite things. Well... not the sweet treats so much (I tend not to on Main St., reserving that for Dole whip), but I loooove hearing ragtime there.
Allemande left with background of trolley,
I've seen that before... the word Allemande in reference to square dancing (I think?) But have no idea what it means.
(Apparently, the trolley isn't the only way these folks roll.)
That surprised me too (when I saw the photos).
Into the distance we hasten our cadence,
Leaving today for fantasy, there's a sense of impatience.
:worship: You rhymed cadence with impatience?? <slow clap>
Circus trains bringing astonishing shows,
Peanuts and popcorn, feather in pachyderm nose.
<groan> Okay that one was awful.

(The hat tip to the Carolwood makes me smile rather largely.)
I had to Google that. Interesting! I love that too, now. :)
Finding a coaster that fits their own pace.
I can't wait for Tron!
Need your neck re-adjusted or wrecked?
No problem at all, follow the flags black and white checked.
No thanks. I'll pass on that one.
(We interrupt this horrible attempt at poetry for a PIT STOP!!! It's a different sort of pit stop than found at 'race car' arenas! Sorry, I make a lot of these.)
Oh really? I had no idea.

:rolleyes1
(The Seven-Five is a nice touch. :) )
How so? That one I don't get. :confused3
(not my image, pilfered off the net)
THIEF!!!!!
Still haven't done that. DL, yes. WDW, no.
The AUTHENTIC steam engines, that use the water from the river converting it to steam, are oiled and checked every. single. hour!!)
Okay, that's pretty cool and impressive!
Now…do you see what I did with the tale that I’ve spun?
I see what you did there. ::yes::
Of the quieter, non-dark, non-thrill rides, perhaps a show-type, but could be a "ride", which do you enjoy most? Ideas that come to mind: Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle, COP, IaSW, even Swiss Family.... Choose one or two and tell us why.
Oh, man... that's a tough one. My favourite three things are either thrill or dark... hmmm... I think I'll say the ambiance on Main St. that you mentioned earlier. Hearing rag time. The feel of olden times gone by.

We have canes?
That would explain it.
Yes, but.... ummm, you were speaking French. I was trying to use the 10 words and 2 phrases I knew. Or thought I knew. :rolleyes:
Well... not quite. I was trying (miserably) to speak French and almost always, the server would switch to English rather than have their ears assaulted with my horrible accent/grammar.
The ladies on this thread thought so. ;)
That I was a detraction? I'm not at all surprised.
I'll include more funky from now on.
One can never have enough funky.
Ooooh, so you speak French AND Japanese! Impressive!!!
:sad2:
No. But I can understand English with a strong Japanese accent.
OF NOTE: I was recently in another fine dining situation (PM me if you want details, reluctant to share the nitty gritty here) where someone at our table was discreety asked to refrain from photos during a certain portion of our meal. I don't know if the server meant he'd prefer photos not be taken at all for the remainder of the meal (his words were, "to preserve the atmosphere and ambiance of the dining experience, we'd ask you that photos not be taken...." and I missed the rest of what he added at that point, so can't be sure) or just for that course? But it's the first time I've ever heard of that happening.
PM sent!
Which makes the origin of the osso bucco a bit suspect... :scared:
:lmao:

Well, being that it's only served at 10 restaurants in the US (no idea about abroad) this may be your best bet!

Alex has been eyeballing a Japan tour after this England one is up, so I've started keeping my ear to the ground on any Japanese buzz. :rolleyes:

::yes:: For sure.

The AUTHENTIC steam engines, that use the water from the river converting it to steam, are oiled and checked every. single. hour!!)

Whew, that is a lot of work!

Beautiful pictures from around the park. I really enjoyed stepping inside the magic of the MK for a few minutes. It distracted me from the very wet winter weather outside my window right now.

Of the quieter, non-dark, non-thrill rides, perhaps a show-type, but could be a "ride", which do you enjoy most?

No trip to the MK is complete for me without riding Small World, so I guess I'd have to go with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter