That's not sunsreen, that's body wash! - Aulani TR (Oct 8-14, 2016) Updated 4/14

Leshaface

DIS Veteran
Greetings folks and welcome to my Aulani TR! You can usually find me over at the WDW TR thread, where we’ve taken several trips to the World.

On this particular trip it was me(Alicia:wave2:), DH (Dan), DS (Cal, 4 at the time), DS (Q, 6 months at the time), DM(Angie) and DMiL(Lory). We are DVC members so booked this trip right at the 7 month mark and were able to score a 1 Bedroom Island Garden View for 6 nights, October 8 – October 14, 2016. And this had to have been one of the most relaxing, tranquil vacations we’ve ever taken. No rope drops. No park hopping. No fastpass reservations. Just a spa day, a few meals, and that’s about the extent of our ‘planning’. It was wonderful! So please take a journey with me back a year and a half ago :lmao: to this marvelous place!

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Travel Day

We generally fly out of LAX (2 ½ hours South of us) but this time, with the new baby, we thought we’d make it a little easier and fly out of our smaller airport located only 45 mins North of us, Fresno, CA.

Our flight was at 6am. With a 4 year old…and a 6 month old. That means out the door by 4:15am. That also means I’m up at 2:30am.

shocked.gif

But it was a very smooth morning. My MIL and DM met us at our house by 4am to get them packed up. DMIl started off our morning with a good laugh. DH went to put her bag in our car and he mentioned there was no way she was going to make the 50 pound weight limit. We do have a luggage hand scale so we weighed it and it was over by 5 pounds. We told her she could move some things into our bags if she wanted but she said she’ll move some things into her carry on. She opens up her suitcase and…….

(yep, using that GIF again cause it's appropriate!)

shocked.gif

THERE’S 13 PAIRS OF SHOES! Thirteen. 1-3.

shoes.gif

I soooooo badly wanted to take a picture but didn’t want to embarrass her either cause I’m pretty sure she didn’t think we would be looking through her stuff :rotfl: DH pleaded with her to leave some behind. I think she left a pair or two of heels and moved a couple into her carry-on. Well 11 is good for Hawaii, I guess :rotfl2: And just for the record, she told me when we got home she only used 3 pairs!

The airport was uneventful and easy, which was what I was hoping for. It was a short flight to LAX and from there Honolulu!

We had a fairly short layover in LA so just enough time to grab some water, foods and restroom stop. But while we were getting food, my DM told DH that she saw Darryl Strawberry! He didn’t believe her and went looking and yep, he was sitting there and he asked very politely if our son could take a picture with him and he was very gracious in allowing him to do so.

Soon, we were boarding our flight

And we were off! BTW, it was so weird going ‘backwards’. We’re so used to going to FL that the whole idea of gaining three hours in the beginning of the trip was nuts!

Our boys did fabulous the entire 5 hour flight. Our oldest is a pro on planes and was a little worried about Q but he slept and ate.

And soon we were seeing this!

And finally the runway. Excuse the big ol’ dome in the way!

Once we landed, we needed to get our luggage and get to the car rental facility. I made a post a while back on some tips that would hopefully help others to make certain aspects of their trip easier, so I’ll just repost what I wrote regarding the airport shuttle/car rental

* Car Rental – We ended up going through Costco Travel for our car rental (Alamo). I HIGHLY recommend a Mini Van. We are not mini van people, but man, having all that room was great. It was also about 20 bucks cheaper than the Full Size SUV’s. You do have to take a shuttle from Honolulu Airport since it’s off-site. It is NOT on HNL property. And not going to lie, it took a while for us to get a shuttle. About 20 minutes. It wasn’t lack of shuttles, they kept on passing us since we were the last stop and they were always full. If you’re able to, try to get the first bus stop. I know that will be difficult to think about as soon as you land, but when you’re at baggage claim, try to get out those very first doors if possible. In hindsight, we should have just walked down to the first stop and hopped on there. I’ll put this in bold: USE THE KIOSKS!!! As soon as I got off the shuttle, more than half of the shuttle went to the line and everyone else to the kiosks. Very, very easy (even for the technology challenged!) and there’s someone there to help you if necessary. Also, with Costco you’re able to add an extra person from your party to drive your rental for free!)

Once we were loaded up in the mini van, we decided to stop off at Target and Costco for groceries. Reposted tip

* Target and Costco – This is Exit 1 on your way into Aulani. This is not a SuperTarget so some things we did have to go to Costco for. But one thing I don’t think I even read about (or maybe I forgot!) was they don’t give plastic bags. You need to either bring your own reusable bags or buy some. Just keep that in mind when going.. If you are a Sushi/Poke fan, PLEASE grab some while at Costco! Oh my, so delicious and fresh! It is located directly across from the premade fresh items in what they call a ‘coffin freezer’ (had to ask where the Poke was and they used this term!) and they had lots of different types available.

Getting to Aulani from Target was very easy (despite the no signage for Aulani itself!) but once we stepped into the lobby, it was breathtaking! An open air lobby that lets the breeze in and it smelled so fresh and sweet. Everyone in the place was so happy, creating a very positive atmosphere.

Luckily for us, our room was ready:

And our view

Looking down

The room was a little on the small side for a 1 bedroom but it fit our needs. We're accustomed to AKV Kidani 1 bedrooms where you have 2 full bathrooms, so we really had to communicate with each other about taking showers and getting ready. Also, there are two doors that lead into the bathroom, one from the Master bedroom and one from the entryway hallway, so you’d have to lock both doors when using it.

I made a video for my last TR just as an update, so here’s a good spot to put it if you want to take a peek! It includes a tour of the lazy river and some pictures you just saw up above.

If you watched the video, you’ll see that we hit the Lazy River right before they closed it up for the night. We had it all to ourselves and it was super peaceful and relaxing, but a smidge cold.

I’m pretty sure we had dinner in our room from all the food we had purchased from Target, so that wraps up our first day! Tomorrow, a Character breakfast and Spa day!

Last edited:
Good tips!! I’m watching this thread constantly for tips because I feel like I’m flying blind at Aulani! I’m a up-at-3am-180 days out vacation planner so having so “little” to plan for there is leaving me at a loss :rotfl::beach: I mean, I’ll take it but still :laughing:

I'm so glad you decided to do this Trip Report! I've been more and more curious about Aulani lately, mostly because of reading about it on here, I'm really excited to hear about your spa day!

Good tips!! I’m watching this thread constantly for tips because I feel like I’m flying blind at Aulani! I’m a up-at-3am-180 days out vacation planner so having so “little” to plan for there is leaving me at a loss :rotfl::beach: I mean, I’ll take it but still :laughing:

I totally feel you! I had no idea what to do or how to plan because there were so little TR's but luckily a few of my friends on here have gone before me and I was able to read their TR's which TOTALLY helped me out.

I'm so glad you decided to do this Trip Report! I've been more and more curious about Aulani lately, mostly because of reading about it on here, I'm really excited to hear about your spa day!

Oh my gosh, the SPA!!! (we went twice :ssst::ssst::ssst:) Stay tuned!

I'm so excited to make it on the 1st page!!!!

And this had to have been one of the most relaxing, tranquil vacations we’ve ever taken. No rope drops. No park hopping. No fastpass reservations. Just a spa day, a few meals, and that’s about the extent of our ‘planning’. It was wonderful! So please take a journey with me back a year and a half ago :lmao: to this marvelous place!

I can't wait to read all about it. It sounds wonderful. I can't believe it was a year and a half ago already!

Our flight was at 6am. With a 4 year old…and a 6 month old. That means out the door by 4:15am. That also means I’m up at 2:30am.

:eek: :faint:

THERE’S 13 PAIRS OF SHOES! Thirteen. 1-3.

shoes-gif.301298

:earseek::rotfl:

But while we were getting food, my DM told DH that she saw Darryl Strawberry! He didn’t believe her and went looking and yep, he was sitting there and he asked very politely if our son could take a picture with him and he was very gracious in allowing him to do so.

Wow!

They make it look so easy :rotfl2:

Wowwwwww!!! Gorgeous!!!!

Can’t wait to read about Aulani. We went to Hawaii last March but we were on Kauai not Oahu. My parents and sister did a few days at Aulani before moving over to Kauai but we only had time for Kauai due to DH’s work schedule.

No way I am going to miss this. Need to finish some work and then coming back to read it all.

OK, I got caught up, I'm fuzzy due to pain meds so bear with me.

Flying out of Fresno, how was that? Did you get a ride to the airport or park. Lot C is a heck of a lot of money since we do it every time, I hope you got a ride.

Isn't it a trip to gain hours? I haven't been to Hawaii in like 30 or more years so I forget what it is like, but it is strange. I'm going to have to go back to every TR and check this out when we finally go. I don't know if Costco will be on our list since there are only two of us, but then again Fran loves to check out local Costcos when on vacation, so I have a feeling we'll go there at some time!

The room looks nice! I forgot already how many of you are there. I like the idea of spa treatments and relaxing!

Looks like a great first day! I'm an Aulani novice so can't wait to aloha along with you all.

I'm here! So excited that you're doing a TR on this, as I'm hoping we can make a trip to Hawaii in the next several years, and hopefully stay at Aulani! Southwest is supposed to be adding flights to Honolulu so if we can get there affordably, we just might be able to make a trip happen.

I don't even think I own 13 pairs of shoes, much less would I be bringing that many on vacation!!! lol My DH freaks when I want to bring 3 pairs on a trip.

The resort looks so beautiful! Looking forward to more of your trip.

I'm so excited to make it on the 1st page!!!!

Haha I always geek out too! :rotfl2:

I can't wait to read all about it. It sounds wonderful. I can't believe it was a year and a half ago already!

Right?! And I always think about this trip, like in an, "oh my gosh, I can't believe I went to Aulani!" I never really thought i'd ever visit.

They make it look so easy :rotfl2:

No kidding!

Wowwwwww!!! Gorgeous!!!!

Every day, Dan and I sat out there and drank our coffee. Seriously, every morning. That never happens at WDW.

Can’t wait to read about Aulani. We went to Hawaii last March but we were on Kauai not Oahu. My parents and sister did a few days at Aulani before moving over to Kauai but we only had time for Kauai due to DH’s work schedule.

Aw nuts! Well, now you need to get your butts to Aulani now! It's soooo worth it!

No way I am going to miss this. Need to finish some work and then coming back to read it all.

Woot woot! :banana:

OK, I got caught up, I'm fuzzy due to pain meds so bear with me.

Flying out of Fresno, how was that? Did you get a ride to the airport or park. Lot C is a heck of a lot of money since we do it every time, I hope you got a ride.

Isn't it a trip to gain hours? I haven't been to Hawaii in like 30 or more years so I forget what it is like, but it is strange. I'm going to have to go back to every TR and check this out when we finally go. I don't know if Costco will be on our list since there are only two of us, but then again Fran loves to check out local Costcos when on vacation, so I have a feeling we'll go there at some time!

The room looks nice! I forgot already how many of you are there. I like the idea of spa treatments and relaxing!

Oh no, pain meds for what?? :confused::confused: I'm so hopelessly behind.

I LOVE flying out of Fresno! So small and quick. Have you ever flown out of Burbank? It's even smaller than Burbank, I think. And nope, we parked at Fresno, not too much to park at all - $8/day!

Yes soooo weird to gain hours! I've never in my life experienced that before, so it was nice! You MUST visit Costco there! I took pics! I think I have them coming up in my next update!

Looks like a great first day! I'm an Aulani novice so can't wait to aloha along with you all.

Kari! :jumping1:

I'm here! So excited that you're doing a TR on this, as I'm hoping we can make a trip to Hawaii in the next several years, and hopefully stay at Aulani! Southwest is supposed to be adding flights to Honolulu so if we can get there affordably, we just might be able to make a trip happen.

I don't even think I own 13 pairs of shoes, much less would I be bringing that many on vacation!!! lol My DH freaks when I want to bring 3 pairs on a trip.

The resort looks so beautiful! Looking forward to more of your trip.

We got SOOOOO excited when SWA announced they are flying to HI!!! :banana: That's all we fly with anyway since point value is the best we've found! I just looked up the latest news on this, and apparently, flights for later this year could come out tomorrow!:hyper: Anxious to see what the times/points will be like.

:lmao:DH freaks when I bring several pairs too! But mine are legit reasons: In-room sandals (can't walk barefoot in hotels :scared:), 3 athletic/casual shoes (in case they get rained on - any oh my GOSH did it rain this last trip!) and a pair of dressy shoes/boots.

Subbing in! :)

I love the video of your 1st day! Looks absolutely lovely there and I really would love to go someday!

Last edited:
I’m here! Can’t wait to read about this trip. Great start and thanks for the tips :)

What is this? SW is going to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!! party: party: party: that’s why I couldn’t go last year, the plane tickets were astronomical!

The Kramer gif was perfect for the shoes :laughing:

The room is gorgeous, DVC did a fabulous job.

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading this! Where did your mom and MIL stay? In the one bedroom with you or a studio?

Oh no, pain meds for what?? :confused::confused: I'm so hopelessly behind.

I had some dental work done last week. I was in severe pain for a week before they could get me in, and then it took a couple days for the pain to subside. Over the weekend i cut the heavy duty stuff and went back to ibufrofen. Sunday was the first day that i felt like myself again. I pretty much lost two weeks of productivity in life.

I had some dental work done last week. I was in severe pain for a week before they could get me in, and then it took a couple days for the pain to subside. Over the weekend i cut the heavy duty stuff and went back to ibufrofen. Sunday was the first day that i felt like myself again. I pretty much lost two weeks of productivity in life.

I’m so sorry :hug: Glad you’re feeling better.

Subbing in! :)

I love the video of your 1st day! Looks absolutely lovely there and I really would love to go someday!

Liesa! You really should, it's spectacular!

I’m here! Can’t wait to read about this trip. Great start and thanks for the tips :)

What is this? SW is going to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!! party: party: party: that’s why I couldn’t go last year, the plane tickets were astronomical!

The Kramer gif was perfect for the shoes :laughing:

The room is gorgeous, DVC did a fabulous job.

YES!!! SWA announced they were going to start going to HI! In fact, there were rumors flying around saying that they may have been posting flights as early as 2/15 for flights in the Fall/Winter, but that didn't happen. Darn it! Anxious to see what the points for RT will be.

Excited to hear more about Aulani!

More coming up this evening!

Looking forward to reading this! Where did your mom and MIL stay? In the one bedroom with you or a studio?

They both stayed in the one bedroom with us! DH and I took the Master, Quentin was in the PnP in our room, DM took the couch and underneath the tv is a pullout where my MIL slept (she's maybe 5 foot so it was perfect for her - and she said it was the best she has slept in a very long time!). Calvin took turns sleeping with us and DM on the couch. I think the couch was a pullout but DM doesn't sleep on a bed at home :scared: so she said the couch was really comfortable and she slept well on it!

And more coming up this evening!

Aww poop! Tooth pain is seriously THE WORST! And I know a thing or two about dental work. My teeth have been nothing but problems since I was a child. Hopefully you've been able to play catch up the last few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter