That Time I Rented a Scooter and Suddenly DISAPPEARED!

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I wanted to share my experience in case someone on here is renting a scooter and you aren't a regular scooter rider.

I wasn't.

I broke my toe and doc said NO WALKING! So a scooter it was!

I read reviews of the different companies and chose Buena Vista. I had a question and when I called the number on their contract, I heard pixie dust chimes.

What? :scratchin Buena vista is 'Disney'? Who knew?

So all was set!

I noticed the contract said the damage fee I chose to add did not cover theft, so I called my high falutin' visa reserve card to see if they would cover anything and they said 'nope'.

How fast would the scooter go, I wondered.

As soon as I got it from the Bell hop...I zoomed back to the room. Wow...this thing was FAST! ZOOooooOOM! I was going to need to be super careful!

We commenced our park visits and the weirdest thing happened!! I disappeared!! :eek:

Like literally became INVISIBLE!! It was crazy! People looked right at me, and stepped directly in front of me! Like RIGHT IN FRONT of me. I slammed on the brakes (handle release) again and again and cocked my head in confusion...."Did you not see me here?" How strange!

Hubby would walk in front of me and long lines of people would look at me, step in front of me, then 16,578 people would stream in front of me like a long people train, and no one would let me continue. But I understand...I was invisible! :wave2:

It continued to happen day after day, park after park, so often that I assumed I must have died of happiness when I saw Cinderella's castle which would explain why no one could see me. :littleangel:

I worked hard to stay out of anyone's way, to never hit a heel, to never cut in front of anyone. (I wondered what I was thinking when I assigned my 83-year old parents to scooters for a disney visit. These things are heavy machinery and need to be operated with care!)

My broken bone continued to heal, and it was the right decision, but it was so weird being invisible for a few days. Now that I'm back home, everyone sees me now, pauses, says things like 'Go head, no...you go first, pardon me" and stuff like that.

It's nice to be seen. :thumbsup2

LOL!! ROTFL!!!

Is this not SO true! I read your headline and thought your SCOOTER disappeared (which happened to me, so the people must see the scooter but not the person on it!! PS, I was not on it when it disappeared!). I was always worried I would lose DH because of all the people cutting in front of me. He would literally be only a step or two in front of me, but I did not want to hit his heals!

OMG-that is so true! Actually some people do see you. After they walk straight into you, they finally look up and give you a dirty look as if you're the one who ran into them, not the other way around. And yes, my DH also walks in front of me to kind of clear a path. The first time he was amazed at how "invisible" I seemed to so many people.

OP, loved your post!! :rotfl:

I won't pretend to know what being on a scooter is like, but I do empathize with anyone in those shoes!!

OMG-that is so true! Actually some people do see you. After they walk straight into you, they finally look up and give you a dirty look as if you're the one who ran into them, not the other way around. And yes, my DH also walks in front of me to kind of clear a path. The first time he was amazed at how "invisible" I seemed to so many people.

Yep, I once had a woman slam a stroller right into the rear side of my scooter and yell at me for "trying to run over her kid."

Another time, at Epcot, I was driving out of one of the countries in WS, back toward the walkway. A woman came running out of the gift shop, full speed, a full 20 or 30 feet away from me, we never got anywhere near each other or even crossed paths. She tripped over a planter and face planted into the concrete. People, who I'm guessing were with her, came running from the main sidewalk screaming about "that woman on the scooter tripping her!"

I didn't even stick around to see if she was okay. At that point, I just went on my way. I hope they realized, or the running woman informed them, that she tripped over the planter and that we were nowhere near each other. Not my fault she was running and klutzy. There was nobody else even in the alcove at the time, so it was easy to determine what had happened and I guess I was a target because I was there.

What those people don't realize is how many people had suddenly stepped directly in front of me that day and how many people I actually saved from being injured. I think I need a dash cam. :rolleyes1

LOL! Very true about the scooters. My mother also becomes invisible. I try to walk in front of her to clear a path, but plenty of people try to get between us. I have ridden on it a few times when she wants to walk and it really is bad.

At Dsineyland, we get her a wheelchair and I swear that thing is invisible too. Especially at night. I like the holiday lights during the holiday season as I put those on her at night, so people can see her a little more.

. Especially at night. I like the holiday lights during the holiday season as I put those on her at night, so people can see her a little more.

I have lots of big blinking lights on mine year round, for night time. Doesn't seem to do a bit of good.

When I was using the rental ones, they have flashers now. When I was in a crowd at night, I would turn the flashers on, and twice I was told by CMs to turn them off. :( The only time a CM actually told me it was a great idea to have them on was exiting from Fantasmic.

Yep, I once had a woman slam a stroller right into the rear side of my scooter and yell at me for "trying to run over her kid."

Another time, at Epcot, I was driving out of one of the countries in WS, back toward the walkway. A woman came running out of the gift shop, full speed, a full 20 or 30 feet away from me, we never got anywhere near each other or even crossed paths. She tripped over a planter and face planted into the concrete. People, who I'm guessing were with her, came running from the main sidewalk screaming about "that woman on the scooter tripping her!"

I didn't even stick around to see if she was okay. At that point, I just went on my way. I hope they realized, or the running woman informed them, that she tripped over the planter and that we were nowhere near each other. Not my fault she was running and klutzy. There was nobody else even in the alcove at the time, so it was easy to determine what had happened and I guess I was a target because I was there.

What those people don't realize is how many people had suddenly stepped directly in front of me that day and how many people I actually saved from being injured. I think I need a dash cam. :rolleyes1
Or at least some kind of award or ribbon

So true, OP! Thanks for the humorous take on a sad subject.

Like you, I had to use one at WDW a few years ago due to plantar fasciitis I got right before our trip!!!
It was definitely an eye opener for me.
You ARE invisible to everyone, except the wonderful CM's at Disney. They always recognized me and talked to me instead of my husband. Can't say enough about them.
I never realized how much you miss while on an ECV. You always have to look in front of you so you don't accidentally hit someone. You don't have time or the height to actually look at your surroundings like others do. You do get to look at a lot of butts, LOL, but that's no fun.
I hope I don't have to use one again, that's for sure!
I think everyone, especially the ones on the boards who complain about ECV's, have to ride one for just one day. I bet their views would change in a hurry.

LOL! Very true about the scooters. My mother also becomes invisible. I try to walk in front of her to clear a path, but plenty of people try to get between us. I have ridden on it a few times when she wants to walk and it really is bad.

At Dsineyland, we get her a wheelchair and I swear that thing is invisible too. Especially at night. I like the holiday lights during the holiday season as I put those on her at night, so people can see her a little more.

I know this isn't what you meant, but it was what I pictures when you said that!
Screenshot_20180511-163419.png

I was in WS one day headed toward France. My DH and adult DS were in front of me clearing a path This man was walking beside me, not watching and drifting towards me. HIS Wife yelled at him to look where he was going. He looked me straight in the face and said “ I’ll just knock her over”.

All of these responses just add fuel to my inner fire and if I ever have to use one again, (please Lord heal my foot before June 24th!!) I'm going to come up with a creative idea. Not sure what but I was ticked at the rudeness towards me. I'm not disabled. I was just not abled to walk without a boot that week but I can't imagine having to put up with people being big ol' horses's butts thinking their uprightness took precedence over me no matter what.

I have lots of big blinking lights on mine year round, for night time. Doesn't seem to do a bit of good.

When I was using the rental ones, they have flashers now. When I was in a crowd at night, I would turn the flashers on, and twice I was told by CMs to turn them off. :( The only time a CM actually told me it was a great idea to have them on was exiting from Fantasmic.

I have the color changing lights up under ol' Angus, but they glow a fixed amount and just slowly cycle through the colors. I think the flashers are a problem because folks could find them annoying - plus they might flash right in the eyes of the little stroller nuggets. It could also be those are a trigger for epilepsy or migraines as well, since they tend to flash very rhythmically. as opposed to lights that are controlled by Disney, which actually flash or pulse in a random, non-rhythmic fashion.

All of these responses just add fuel to my inner fire and if I ever have to use one again, (please Lord heal my foot before June 24th!!) I'm going to come up with a creative idea. Not sure what but I was ticked at the rudeness towards me. I'm not disabled. I was just not abled to walk without a boot that week but I can't imagine having to put up with people being big ol' horses's butts thinking their uprightness took precedence over me no matter what.

Even bipedal Guests (those who are walking) have trouble with others walking right in to them. our daughter was amazed at how many people on our last trip were simply not paying attention - it's like they get to WDW and act like they no longer have to be responsible. For anything. At all.

It's more noticeable when you are on a scooter or mobility device because you feel out of your element to begin with. But I think we are reaching a point where people are paying more attention to their phones in the Parks than they are... the Parks. It's kind of sad, actually.

This exact thing happens when you have a stroller in the parks. People will literally step over the front of it to try to get one inch ahead of you in a crowd. It feels like you are walking backwards sometimes. Even worse is chains of teens holding hands and doing it, because the one at the end of the chain doesn't get the memo to step over you, so either you stop and let them go, or trip them and they fall.

Once a guy tripped on my front wheel trying this and came extremely close to falling into my stroller and onto my 2 year old, and then had the nerve to yell at me when HE was the one stepping over the front of the stroller.

Beautifully put, and so true!

The worst is when someone steps in front of you, and it turns out to be a family of six, holding hands so you can't go around or between them.

I was in WS one day headed toward France. My DH and adult DS were in front of me clearing a path This man was walking beside me, not watching and drifting towards me. HIS Wife yelled at him to look where he was going. He looked me straight in the face and said “ I’ll just knock her over”.

Wow, that is absolutely pathetic!

I think the flashers are a problem because folks could find them annoying - plus they might flash right in the eyes of the little stroller nuggets. It could also be those are a trigger for epilepsy or migraines as well, since they tend to flash very rhythmically. as opposed to lights that are controlled by Disney, which actually flash or pulse in a random, non-rhythmic fashion.

That is likely why I was told to turn them off. I never drove around with them on, only when stuck in crowds after dark, ordinarily moving the same direction as everyone else, like at closing time. I did think about the problem of lights in the eyes of children, so keep my headlight (mounted by me) on my personal scooter pointed at the ground. Never thought about the epilepsy angle. My personal scooter doesn't have flashers, but glad this was brought up so others renting can read and be aware of it. I won't use flashers in the future if I have them.

Let me first preface my comments by saying that it's almost 3am and I am getting a little silly here at work. So keep that in mind. I just had to share the first thing that popped into my head on a couple of the posts...

Makes you want to look at the person with the most dead-pan face and respond, "Try? Obviously not, because I NEVER miss." Then slowly drive off chuckling like a Disney villain.

You do get to look at a lot of butts, LOL, but that's no fun.
Guess it depends on the butt. :duck:

On a more serious note, I have also suffered from "Disney ECV invisibilty" in the past. My last 2 trips were solo ones, so while I didn't have a pathfinder trying to clear the way, I also didn't have to worry about keeping up with them. The best I could do with "drifters" and people cutting in front of me was to keep things on turtle speed. I have used LED string lights (in just a constant "on" pattern) in the evening and that seemed to increase the visibilty of the ECV at night some. I'm going to try a different company for my ECV rental this year. Their ECV's come with a standard undercarriage light and the headlight is not blocked by the basket, so I'm going to leave the LED lights behind my next trip in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!