That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

Only read 12 pages. I would still love to ride these, and I have faith they will work well, and correctly, again soon-ish.

However, I have been a WDW-goer for 20* years at this point. Multiple times a year. And this brings so many sad feelings to light.

I am SO disappointed in Disney's response and reaction time to this. I know it takes a LONG time to evacuate a ton of individual capsules. But, the lack of communication (there HAS to be a central way for them to communicate to the individual gondolas on status). If I was stuck for 3 hours, knowing that there is help coming, or what the ETA was for my rescue, would go SO far in alleviating any panic, anxiety, ill-will. To leave the guests, literally, hanging without info...that is where WDW is in the wrong.

For so long, Disney was the customer service gold standard. With the way things have gone in the last 5 or so years, they have turned into a joke. Just another 6 Flags with some nostalgia tossed in.

Obviously, RCFD was correct in that they are way understaffed for this gondola-adventure to be live. There is no reason Disney can't pony up the money to provide more emergency response to their team.

And then, when rescued, you throw a few fastpasses my way and tell me "the bus is over there"? Gross. I am NOT one to look for freebies for inconveniences. I roll with 99% of what happens in my life. But, I would expect a provider such as Disney would be going out of their way to cover their rears...cuz that is the "industry standard" they started, touted, and carried out for so long. It is just sad. There should have been individual chauffeurs there for each capsule. Ready with water, snack, a clean shirt that was NOT sweat through, and a ride home and whatever else deemed appropriate...

I am not upset with the malfunction that happened - it happens. I am upset with the crappy WDW response and attitude. At this point, I am happy when things don't go right for them. GE and Skyliner - fails. A little karma for thinking and acting the way they have for so long.

If I was stuck for 3 hours, knowing that there is help coming, or what the ETA was for my rescue, would go SO far in alleviating any panic, anxiety, ill-will. To leave the guests, literally, hanging without info...that is where WDW is in the wrong.
Agreed. Apparently there was static-ky "communication with the onboard system. That has to be fixed.
There is no reason Disney can't pony up the money to provide more emergency response to their team.
Do we know it's a money issue and not a staffing one? How easy or hard is it to train (or find trained) rescue personnel? An experienced firefighter isn't likely to be willing to give up accumulated seniority and benefits, to move to Orlando.
There should have been individual chauffeurs there for each capsule.
For, potentially, well over 300 parties, given that each gondola likely held multiple parties? That's overly extreme.
Ready with water, snack, a clean shirt that was NOT sweat through, and a ride home and whatever else deemed appropriate.
How many people are going to want to change in public, or how long would the backup in the restrooms be? And they would need a complete range of shift sizes for each individual - so potentially seven shirts times ten people times 300(+) gondolas? No. Just, no. That's 100% unreasonable.

Seriously? Are you claiming fire rescue ladders are unsafe? Or that people could potentially get blown off the ladder in clement weather? Those are a lot of "ifs" and conditions that will likely not ever all come together in a perfect storm, i.e. may never happen

Again this appears to be a lot of unsubstantiated assumptions "if" there's no power "and if" the cars can't be moved manually?

No idea, but Disney isn't isolated, and firefighters/rescue personnel often help other communities. No, the Kissimmee and Orlando firefighters might not be trained specifically on gondola evacuation. The latter is surely trained In ladder evacuation much higher than 60 feet. And RCFD could always attach one of its own trained personnel to each of the assisting trucks.

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it. Thanks. I do believe you saw it, it just sounds absurd.
I will try to find it and post it when I get home. I'm at a dr appointment now. It was a very interesting video. It might be later tonight, but i will try.

Agreed. Apparently there was static-ky "communication with the onboard system. That has to be fixed.

Do we know it's a money issue and not a staffing one? How easy or hard is it to train (or find trained) rescue personnel? An experienced firefighter isn't likely to be willing to give up accumulated seniority and benefits, to move to Orlando.
For, potentially, well over 300 parties, given that each gondola likely held multiple parties? That's overly extreme.

How many people are going to want to change in public, or how long would the backup in the restrooms be? And they would need a complete range of shift sizes for each individual - so potentially seven shirts times ten people times 300(+) gondolas? No. Just, no. That's 100% unreasonable.

Either way - crappy way to find out that you really are understaffed.

I am just saying, a 2-fingered wave to "over there" for the busses and a few people getting fastpasses in NO WAY encompasses any of the customer service that long-time WDW fans have been used to. I know I got a little exaggerated in what I said - like I said, I wouldn't have asked for, nor expected much. But, if you left me hanging for 3 hours, and I got off and didn't have at least a bottle of water and a way home "right here", I would be sad. If you screw things up, fix it...goes a long way :)

PS - I really do enjoy reading your posts on these boards - I like that you are no nonsense and call things as you see them. No pixie dust or whatever it is called these days!

The template for most posts in this thread.

incorrect facts+wild speculation+dose of anti Disney corporation+fantasy assumptions= post

I will stick with the world leading companies with over 100 years experience in transportation and the leading company in the world on customer safety, security and experience over armchair “prove me wrong” posters.

I will try to find it and post it when I get home. I'm at a dr appointment now. It was a very interesting video. It might be later tonight, but i will try.
Thank you. I appreciate it. Absolutely no rush! I won't bug you about it :)

290-something is the total number of gondolas available for use on all lines. More realistically, one line would go down and be unmovable. The Epcot line has had a few less than 150 cabins running.

You're also assuming all cabins on the line would be fully packed. More likely, it might be full in one direction, but lightly loaded in the other. And the loading we've seen at peak times seems to be averaging 7 or 8 riders per cabin, not 10.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Absolutely no rush! I won't bug you about it :)
Ok, it is under Mickey Views-all things Disney News. The title of it is Disney Skyliner Gondola Incident Halts Operations at Walt Disney World.

I think I have seen this guy with Micheal Kay on You Tube at Disney events, I think he is credible. But it is a very interesting video.

Ok, it is under Mickey Views-all things Disney News. The title of it is Disney Skyliner Gondola Incident Halts Operations at Walt Disney World.

I think I have seen this guy with Micheal Kay on You Tube at Disney events, I think he is credible. But it is a very interesting video.

Thanks, @SL6827 and @daschie! I like that Brady guy. He's so energetic and positive. I just went and subscribed to his YouTube channel :)

But can you imagine, zip lining into the World Showcase, lol? I am sure that there are people that would pay to do so, but I am not one of them.
Never happen. Security can't bag-check in midair, and there are no tapstiles up that high. :D

(copied from another post)
I am now thinking that another, redundant, collision avoidance system needs to be installed in the Skyliner stations. Plus, if not already, the ability to make custom movements within stations as opposed to a constant one mile an hour movement or stop for all.

Someone mentioned "zip line" attached to Skyliner cabins for evacuation. You mean like Tinker Bell's flight down from the castle during the Magic Kingdom fireworks? Sometimes she lands hard at the far end. I would not like to land hard.

Last edited:
(copied from another post)
I am now thinking that another, redundant, collision avoidance system needs to be installed in the Skyliner stations. Plus, if not already, the ability to make custom movements within stations as opposed to a constant one mile an hour movement or stop for all.

After watching videos of how these work they are completely mechanical how they attach/release from the cables. I don't think without a complete redesign there is any way to do what you are mentioning. These systems work fine around the world. I am more thinking now it was probably a defective part of the gondola (which is not that uncommon over 500 to have a few that are defective) and it will be fixed or discarded.

Skyliner is another reason why I think Disney World is the best managed city I’ve ever seen.

We were among the crush of people exiting World Showcase after the fireworks show. We were perhaps middle of the pack, so it was an excellent opportunity to see how well Skyliner would handle its highest capacity stress test. Disney had tasked extra cast members to help direct the flow of people and they were all clearly effective at keeping us moving smoothly toward boarding. It took less than 10 minutes from the time we reached the long line for Skyliner, and all the while we were easily moving forward. Of course, the ride itself was short but sweet!

Hands down, Skyliner is the most efficient, most relaxing, least crowded, quietest, coolest, step on step off mass people mover in America. I would say the world, but La Paz, Bolivia, has been moving 1 million people a year on this system over far more challenging terrain. Kudos to Disney for bringing it to the parks! I can’t wait to ride it some more.

No, because they made the mistake of having windows that don't open. On previous models, all windows opened, and it ran all day long.

ie - if windows don't open then they needed air conditioning, yes? That is what they forgot when the decision was made to not have working windows like they had on previous monorails there. So, with no cooling options the monrail gets shut down if the heat is too severe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!