That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

I feel sorry for those people who had to use the restroom while waiting. Think about those poor kids that couldn’t hold it and had to go in the gondola. 🚽
Each gondola has an emergency kit that includes, well, devices that would respond to at least some of the needs. And bottled water - to, potentially, exacerbate it.
So... is the skyliner running today?
Closed until further notice.

Apologies if these issues got responses in the next four pages.

Riviera can't pull gondolas to a spur in order to load scooters.
Gondolas should be going slow enough to load scooters without stopping the skyliner. CM have been stopping the line to load scooters. I wonder if the constant e stops were a factor in the unexpected downtime

Riviera isn't even open though so that can't be why they're stopping it all the time. That does seem a little shortsighted not to have the stopped positions at Riviera. I wonder what the logic was there??

Riviera isn't even open though so that can't be why they're stopping it all the time. That does seem a little shortsighted not to have the stopped positions at Riviera. I wonder what the logic was there??
The walkway from CBR to Riviera station is open. Part of CBR is closer to the Riviera station then the CBR station

One thing to remember: when taking transportation like that always use the bathroom first. :0)
::yes:: There are restrooms at each resort station, and, I believe, outside the two park entrances.
Here's what I think about this gondola train wreck
Did you mean gondola gondola wreck?
Stroller or ECV or wheelchair? No thanks. Forget it. If I required any of those devices, I just would not use the gondola system as a mode of transportation.
Do
Okay?
All of the starts & stops & 5-min waits that people have reported here and elsewhere on the gondolas make it an inefficient mode of transportation.
Less efficient than the expected 3,400 people per hour; still more efficient than buses.
I thought they pulled cars off to a separate loading area for wheelchairs and ECVs. Is it possible that protocols aren't being followed?
I
No pull-off at Riviera. Apparently from this thread, intermittent stops.

Were those accidents 2 weeks after opening?
Per Wikipedia, there have been several accidents/incidents since the monorail opened. No dates except the single death.
Skyliner unstable, rocks in the wind, 60 feet.
Sixty feet at its highest point - not the entire line.
Obviously, able body guests would be rescued first. Then the ECV’s, wheelchairs. Thus much more room to work with. Common sense.
Um, no, not much more room to work? "If a [monorail] train is stopped on an open beam, then guests evacuate through emergency exits located in the roof of the train."

I agree, just not directly related to the skyliner. The people trapped in the monorail for 2+ hours a couple of weeks ago, same story. Also, has anyone noticed that the "constantly moving" gondolas temporarily stop....constantly? I'm sure they're safe... That's not the issue. But why do they have to be stopped all the time? I feel like there's an underlying non-safety-related problem that's being kept quiet.

Posters here are saying they are unsafe death traps. Gondolas stop briefly all the time. I imagine as they just opened they are stopping more frequently due to guests not loading properly. That will change but they still will stopped. Spaceship earth stops all the time for people loading incorrectly or issues with loading. Still the skyliner is the safest transportation at the parks And one of the more efficient even with the brief stops.

Some people likely had their park day cut short by this situation
Probably not by much, though, as this appears to have occurred after dark.
'A little over reaction'...what? Folks trapped with strangers for 3 hours. In the heat. It was like 91 plus high humidity yesterday
During the day, but after dark the temp was 81° or lower https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/orlando/historic
or too many being pulled off for scooters.
Only two at a time, at four of the five stations. And rejoining the main line at 90 seconds or so.
but did they test with loafing/unloading the ECV’s, etc
Nobody was allowed off of on at Riviera during the previous week's CM (plus guests) testing.

Except that the safety mechanism DID NOT WORK. The station gondolas should have stopped when the leading gondola failed to depart the station. That is the rub. Why was there a chain reaction collision?

But that is exactly what happened, the system stopped when a car failed to leave the station. all the gondolas are moving and can’t be frozen in time immediately they might bump into each other. It worked great as the were no injuries at all.

But that is exactly what happened, the system stopped when a car failed to leave the station. all the gondolas are moving and can’t be frozen in time immediately they might bump into each other. It worked great as the were no injuries at all.
It stopped after collision. This is not a freight train. There should be no impact and clearly there was impact. Not a bump. Passenger on gondola that impacted lead gondola reported grinding metal and glass breaking.

I feel sorry for those people who had to use the restroom while waiting. Think about those poor kids that couldn’t hold it and had to go in the gondola. 🚽
Maybe they should provide an emergency latrine (like a collapsible bucket you can buy when going camping) or diapers in the cabin. I'm not joking. Three hours? After a visit to the parks most people would probably need to take a whiz at least within that time, if you'll pardon my language.

It's good that the gondola cars had emergency kits on board. But....

Imagine being in that gondola car, thirsty because maybe you've drank all of the water in your own water bottle, and now you get to drink warm/hot water instead. And if it's 90+ degrees outside, that bag of emergency water isn't going to be cold.

Imagine having to do #1 or #2 and you get to drop your pants & do #1 or #2 in that bag and then, heaven forbid if it's #2, sit there in a hot gondola car with the scent of hot poo with you for Lord knows how long until you're rescued.

Imagine then being the 2nd person on board that gondola who now has to do #1 or #2 and then you have to use the same plastic portable toilet bag that the 1st person used (I'm making assumptions here that there's 1 poo bag per car...hopefully it's 1 poo bag per person).

Imagine also getting sick to your stomach and throwing up in said hot gondola car so now the entire confined space smells like hot vomit for a couple of hours until it's your turn in the cherry picker rescue bucket.

Each of those gondolas needs to have an A/C unit running pretty much all the time. After 12 months, can you imagine how horrible the gondolas are going to smell? It'll smell worse than the 40 yr old monorails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts