That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

What data do you have to backup your claim that the Skyliner is "the safest form of transport in the park"? You accuse others of saying things not based on facts but what are your facts? Or is your statement just based on what you'd like to think?

63,000 buses crash a year, monorail crashed into each other producing a DEATH. Someone died at Disney getting hit BY a bus once too!

there is no way to know if there was no injuries from people in a gondola for 3+ hours. They might not have been summer mid day but there is a report from a family stuck in this incident that said it was hot in the cabin.

Good point. Also what about the psychological impact - people having panic attacks during the 3 hours, developing a fear of heights, confined spaces etc. as a result of this incident. If the bus breaks down you can get off. It's not all about physical injury, psychological stress should not be dismissed.

I'm not that surprised that this happened (although I'm a little surprised it crashed) but what really surprises me is that there isn't any air conditioning on these things. Gondolas stop pretty frequently and if you're in the nice, cold alps it's probably not the end of the world. But if you're stuck in the blistering hot Florida sun with a car full of hot, sweaty and probably already dehydrated people surely that is not going to end well. Thank goodness it happened at night. No air conditioning 🥵 + the possibility of swaying in the air for 3 hours 🤢 = a solid pass for me 👎 But hats off to the brave folks who are still willing to ride it. I'm sure it's a breathtaking view

I'm not that surprised that this happened (although I'm a little surprised it crashed) but what really surprises me is that there isn't any air conditioning on these things. Gondolas stop pretty frequently and if you're in the nice, cold alps it's probably not the end of the world. But if you're stuck in the blistering hot Florida sun with a car full of hot, sweaty and probably already dehydrated people surely that is not going to end well. Thank goodness it happened at night. No air conditioning 🥵 + the possibility of swaying in the air for 3 hours 🤢 = a solid pass for me 👎 But hats off to the brave folks who are still willing to ride it. I'm sure it's a breathtaking view

The Skyliner has passive cooling (i.e. large open vents) I think that even on a hot day when stopped the wind should cool down the interior sufficiently, it's not like being in a greenhouse which is a closed system. Disney would have comprehensively tested this ensuring that even in a worst case scenario the people on board wouldn't broil.

No idea what they did over water. Can’t find any reports of those rescued over water. Reedy Creek said they complained about not enough manpower for rescues and concerns about water rescues. And here we are with the first crash on day 6.
The line that was stuck does not go over water.

Anyone standing in line in the sun for an hour to go on the Tomorrowland Speedway is a) nuts and b) likely to die from the diesel fumes before the heat gets them. Why on earth is that thing still running?
Because kids like to pretend to drive cars. That's ho hum for adults but a special treat for them. I like that ride because it offers great views and allows riders to play an active role. It's also funny, because you invariably hit the track or someone in front of you is driving in a dorky way. That gives moments to laugh together when you're driving tandem.

Because kids like to pretend to drive cars. That's ho hum for adults but a special treat for them. I like that ride because it offers great views and allows riders to play an active role. It's also funny, because you invariably hit the track or someone in front of you is driving in a dorky way. That gives moments to laugh together when you're driving tandem.
I hadn't thought of that, it sounds fun. Hopefully they can convert it to electric vehicles to reduce the pollution for the people waiting and also give people some shade there. (Sorry this is off-topic).

I hadn't thought of that, it sounds fun. Hopefully they can convert it to electric vehicles to reduce the pollution for the people waiting and also give people some shade there. (Sorry this is off-topic).
Agreed. We only ride it if we have FastPasses as it is now. No breathing in fumes for an hour.

Good point. Also what about the psychological impact - people having panic attacks during the 3 hours, developing a fear of heights, confined spaces etc. as a result of this incident. If the bus breaks down you can get off. It's not all about physical injury, psychological stress should not be dismissed.

Completely agree and I think too many people on here don’t even consider this when making their statements

Stand in line for over an hour for Tomorrow land speedway it is hot too 🤷‍♂️

This is a ridiculous comparison for 2 reasons.

1. if you feel ill or need to use the restroom you can easily get out of line.
2. people with registered disabilities are given the ability to come back later when their time is available.

People aren’t cooling in that line with no way out. I am also sorry but being in a metal box, even with vent windows, will be hotter than standing outside.

I agree being an EV owner myself.

The Skyliner has passive cooling (i.e. large open vents) I think that even on a hot day when stopped the wind should cool down the interior sufficiently, it's not like being in a greenhouse which is a closed system. Disney would have comprehensively tested this ensuring that even in a worst case scenario the people on board wouldn't broil.

It heats up almost immediately when stopped from our experience.. If you're lucky and there's a breeze blowing just right to enter thru the vents then it just gets warmish immediately. We were riding it mid-day 90+ degrees and I would not want to be stopped for any length of time. No stops is best. There was one point where the air somehow wasn't blowing thru even when moving and it was instantly noticeable. It made it's way into the cabin relatively quicky again but it did happen long enough for us to take the time to verify if the vents were indeed open or not.

At DL they stop operation of the monorail when it's excessively warm because they made the mistake with it of no air conditioning. I wouldn't be 100% surprised if that were to happen with the Skyliner too unless they get to a point that stoppages are rare and short and that any longer stops had become an anomaly.

I expected that there would be small problems, as there is with any system. But I guess I did not expect something as significant as this....certainly not this soon. I hope everyone is ok.

What everyone who is bringing up busses and monorail fail to be mentioning is that this Skyliner is a different kettle of fish when it goes down.

Monorail down and it’s one train, not that high, not dangling from a wire.

Bus crash and yep, can be nasty. but everyone is fully aware and accepting of motor vehicle accidents, you can usually just step out and it isn’t dangling from a wire.

Gondola break down- dozens and dozens of them have to be evacuated, some from great height, dangling from a wire- over rooftops, highways and lakes. You may have to rappell down, or be cherry picked via a platform on a moving boat.

Disney are very lucky this did not happen at 2pm mid July, I believe we could have been looking at a very nasty scenario. That’s what people are worried about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!