That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

How on God's earth would they know that if they had never been on one before?

This is done. You have taken this so far off the subject of the incident just to try and get at me. Be gone and find a new hobby.
Man, for someone who criticizes others for (allegedly) putting words in your mouth, you have no problem making the same accusations against others. Feel free to not post in response.

ETA: threads go off subject ALL. THE. TIME. We're talking about alleged panic attacks that might happen if a gondola gets stuck. That didn't happen in this case, so would mentioning panic attacks that didn't happen be taking the thread off subject?

People often say they're afraid or not comfortable with things and magically change their mind as time goes on. How many times have you heard people say they'll "never talk to <some person> again!" only to be doing so days later? After 9/11, lots of people said they'd never fly again. My guess is 99% of them have taken a flight since saying that.

Best to not confront people who have that fear and let time pass. Anything you say will just make them dig in deeper and will draw you into a pointless debate that will resolve itself eventually anyway. Someone will inevitably disagree with me to try and get me to argue; the same person will eventually ride the skyliner. It's how we operate.
Haha. That's exactly what I did, change that subject immediately. One of them has a hard time getting past the thought of being stuck for a prolonged time, then having no option but to descend down a scary escape ladder. The same person is aware of similar risks with airplanes and the monorail but still rides those. This somehow feels more vulnerable with a higher possibility.
My wish is 60 days is enough separation from this incident to leave it in the past.

Is this confirmed? i recall seeing images of the rescuers repelling down from the gondolas to a boat over the water. It was a drill, but was enough for me to say no thanks.

There is a specially equipped boat that can get people down if they are stuck over the bigger lake.

Man, for someone who criticizes others for (allegedly) putting words in your mouth, you have no problem making the same accusations against others. Feel free to not post in response.

ETA: threads go off subject ALL. THE. TIME. We're talking about alleged panic attacks that might happen if a gondola gets stuck. That didn't happen in this case, so would mentioning panic attacks that didn't happen be taking the thread off subject?

I didn't say you put words in my mouth and I didn't change your words.

How do you know it didn't happen? Where you there? Did you talk to all of the people that got off the thing? Can you say with 100% certainty that no one that was on the gondolas panicked?

The post you responded to said being 60 ft in the air in a gondola that is swaying and no way down is a problem.

I didn't say you put words in my mouth and I didn't change your words.
So you quoted me then said...
This is done. You have taken this so far off the subject of the incident just to try and get at me. Be gone and find a new hobby.
Since you quoted me, the "you" in your statement must be directed at me. So you think I'm trying to get at you, which I'm not.

How do you know it didn't happen? Where you there? Did you talk to all of the people that got off the thing? Can you say with 100% certainty that no one that was on the gondolas panicked?
Can you say with 100% certainty that anyone on the gondolas panicked? Until we get reports that someone panicked, it's safer to assume no one did.

The post you responded to said being 60 ft in the air in a gondola that is swaying and no way down is a problem.
No, the post I responded to said being in a swaying gondola could cause a panic attack. I simply pointed out that if someone knows swaying in a gondola (at any height) could cause a panic attack, they shouldn't ride the gondola. Somehow you turned that into it being Disney's "defense".

FYI there were people on twitter that 1. said they had a family member that had a panic attack on the gondola while stuck after an hour or so AND 2. they pressed the emergency call button and Disney basically did nothing.

The issue here isn't if it can happen on other modes of transportation because it does. The problem here is when it DOES happen how does Disney get everyone off? On a monorail it takes about 3 hours to evacuate the entire line if the monorail is completely down. For this system who knows and no one knows. What we do know is in 3 hours they managed to get 6 gondolas evacuated based on a news report from the RCFD. They also said it would be "BAD" if it happened in the middle of the day. The good news is they did manage to get the system running so they did not have to evacuate all the cars using ladder trucks and boats. I think it is reasonable to ask the question what is the plan if the system completely goes down and they cannot run it to get the people off? How long would it take the RCFD plus whomever they call to evacuate the system?

FYI there were people on twitter that 1. said they had a family member that had a panic attack on the gondola while stuck after an hour or so AND 2. they pressed the emergency call button and Disney basically did nothing.
Thank you. I hadn't heard that.

The issue here isn't if it can happen on other modes of transportation because it does. The problem here is when it DOES happen how does Disney get everyone off? On a monorail it takes about 3 hours to evacuate the entire line if the monorail is completely down. For this system who knows and no one knows. What we do know is in 3 hours they managed to get 6 gondolas evacuated based on a news report from the RCFD. They also said it would be "BAD" if it happened in the middle of the day. The good news is they did manage to get the system running so they did not have to evacuate all the cars using ladder trucks and boats. I think it is reasonable to ask the question what is the plan if the system completely goes down and they cannot run it to get the people off? How long would it take the RCFD plus whomever they call to evacuate the system?
I think that is a good question. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare evacuating the monorail and evacuating the gondolas. Not because of the different logistics, but because of the lack of "practice". I'm sure RCFD learned something during this. Hopefully not only is Disney trying to improve the gondola system, but RCFD is also evaluating what worked and what didn't, and what could be done better. I wonder how long it took to evacuate the monorail the first time.

Thank you. I hadn't heard that.

I think that is a good question. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare evacuating the monorail and evacuating the gondolas. Not because of the different logistics, but because of the lack of "practice". I'm sure RCFD learned something during this. Hopefully not only is Disney trying to improve the gondola system, but RCFD is also evaluating what worked and what didn't, and what could be done better. I wonder how long it took to evacuate the monorail the first time.

Sorry it wasn't on twitter it was this person who posted here on a closed down thread... Sorry about that...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-skyliner-accident.3773008/page-45#post-61147988
The issue isn't a learning curve it is a lack of manpower issue. RCFD has stated in the past there are issues where they don't have enough people to help with these failures:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0190517-wuin256jerdohkngcufsdsltnu-story.html
Also in the last article I read about the evac of the skyliner from this incident they had pretty much all hands on deck and it was 27 fire fighters. How many can they unload at max speed per hour? Assuming having to relocate the truck after each gondola you might be able to evacuate 2 or 3 per hour per truck. That still isn't that fast if the entire line is down.

If they cannot control temperatures or increase speed of evacuation, they will have to consider limited skyliner use during hot weather during the day.
It's possible they will. It's even possible that plan is already in place but that the temperature didn't trigger the need to limit use. Nobody knew there was going to be an incident.
This would not be a great solution for Disney World, but one I am sure they will be looking at more seriously after this event.
They might. Maybe they already have. It's not unusual for any business to hire for seasonal needs.
How many times have you heard people say they'll "never talk to <some person> again!" only to be doing so days later?
: :yes:: Or, "I will never shop here again!", or "...never, ever going back to Disney World!" Yet they shop there the next week, or visit again in a year.
Acting like nothing is important or a big deal is not being reasonable.
Believing and repeatedly claiming something is a devastating tragedy when it isn't is absolutely not being reasonable. "What if X happened?" is so far removed from, " X happened.", it isn't funny.
I don't have to know you personally to know what you are doing. Its obvious.
If you mean anything other than posting my opinions, please stop slandering me.
No one said the sky is falling.
The panicked reaction here strongly implies that many posters feel this incident is tantamount to the sky falling.
No one said feel guilty but we could go back through MANY threads of people complaining or not being happy with something Disney does and what would we find your opinion to be? I wouldn't even have to guess.
My opinions vary widely on different topics.
How on God's earth would they know that if they had never been on one before?

Any poster who is displeased, upset, angry, over other members' posts might strongly consider the Ignore feature.

Sorry it wasn't on twitter it was this person who posted here on a closed down thread... Sorry about that...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-skyliner-accident.3773008/page-45#post-61147988
The issue isn't a learning curve it is a lack of manpower issue. RCFD has stated in the past there are issues where they don't have enough people to help with these failures:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0190517-wuin256jerdohkngcufsdsltnu-story.html
Also in the last article I read about the evac of the skyliner from this incident they had pretty much all hands on deck and it was 27 fire fighters. How many can they unload at max speed per hour? Assuming having to relocate the truck after each gondola you might be able to evacuate 2 or 3 per hour per truck. That still isn't that fast if the entire line is down.

Here is where I got the 27 fire fighters from.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0191006-62n3oywqkbenzdvl6j2bredygu-story.html

For those playing all the what if scenarios with people with medical issues, you do realize people with medical issues have died on the ground on a good bit of the rides in Magic Kingdom, Disney. People with medical issues have died after riding Small World and even the carousel. It is terrible but it happens.

In this incident/malfunction no one was injured. The ride will be back up later this week and maybe sooner.

Transportation is not perfect and sometimes you get STUCK. I'd be disappointed to lose three hours of my vacation but #### happens. I've been stuck way worse. The Skyliner accident was a fender bender. It does make you think about the "what ifs" and maybe you'll choose a different transport. You have that option.

I'm BUMMED! I will not be changing my NYE reservation at CBR. Fingers crossed for a speedy and effective fix.

Thanks for posting facts. How many trucks can handle these evacuations? If only one, it doesn't matter how many fire fighters you have. Maybe this will have them purchasing more (I don't know, just guessing). There are three lines, right? How many gondolas on each line? I would think it's doubtful all three lines would go down at the same time (unless there's a common point... Riviera?).

Thanks for posting facts. How many trucks can handle these evacuations? If only one, it doesn't matter how many fire fighters you have. Maybe this will have them purchasing more (I don't know, just guessing). There are three lines, right? How many gondolas on each line? I would think it's doubtful all three lines would go down at the same time (unless there's a common point... Riviera?).

I am pretty sure each line is a separate system. You have to get off and wait in line for the next one. Worse case scenario is a major power outage they cannot get resolved.
The spokesperson for RCFD said they have plenty of equipment just not enough staff. I still think a complete evac would take way too long. Maybe they have a way to manually get cars into the station?

I think this is past a small down time thing. RCFD has reported (I don’t know the location of this info) that 3 people have been reported hospitalized from the event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter