That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

It could matter very much to someone having a panic attack. So that's Disney's defense? You shouldn't have been on it anyway? Seriously? Here we have this brand new transportation that is being heavily advertised and the CM's are pushing but if someone has a panic attack in a situation like this, you seriously think their defense should be "well you shouldn't have been on it anyway"?

If someone is allergic to peanuts, they shouldn't eat peanuts. If someone is claustrophobic or afraid of heights, maybe it's not unreasonable to suggest that they should just take the bus.

They could have had multiply medical emergencies in that time.
I don't understand why posters seem to insist "could" means "100%will" :confused3
Ok, "up to 60 ft in the air" still irrelevant.
Facts are always relevant.
3 hours isn't immediate. Its not a devastating tragedy, no. But it IS something they need to fix.
Okay. What is there about what happened that makes posters think Disney doesn't know something needs to be fixed? I would expect that having this exact knowledge is why Disney closed the Skyliner for an indefinite period.
You well know there is not "source" for how many people in a given time at WDW are disabled, elderly, MAY have a medical emergency (How would that even be counted?) or a panic attack (again, how do you count that unless they actually have one?).
I know not to pull extreme numbers out of thin air, no pun intended. I also know that being disabled or "elderly" does not make the Skyliner inadvisable.
Reasonable? That sentence isn't even reasonable.
When was the last time you ever heard of someone's brain literally exploding in conjunction with one's mind being blown?
It could matter very much to someone having a panic attack. So that's Disney's defense? You shouldn't have been on it anyway? Seriously?
I'm confused. When did @sam_gordon start representing, or even working for Disney - in PR or anywhere? Strangely enough, I'm reading what he wrote as his opinion of point of view.

I seriously doubt it'll be that long. They obviously know about where the failure is (somewhere along the track in the riviera station) and should be able to identify and correct the issue plus complete whatever test protocol is necessary in pretty short time. I'd guess a couple of weeks, not months. Every day that goes by without it operational will look worse and worse.
I sure do hope they can resolve sooner than later.
The issues commonly discussed didn't concern me. After this weekend, 2 people in my party who already had slight height fears have decided they no longer feel comfortable. It's been exciting to watch it develop over 2 years. Sad to see it get off on the wrong foot. They have a lot of hurdles to confront before it will back to normal.

If someone is allergic to peanuts, they shouldn't eat peanuts. If someone is claustrophobic or afraid of heights, maybe it's not unreasonable to suggest that they should just take the bus.

I don't think its unreasonable, necessarily. But no one knows until it happens if something is going to cause them to have an anxiety attack. The pp jumped on fears because I said something about the thing swaying. Which isn't really about a fear of heights or being claustrophobic.

I read that the blue one got stuck leaving the station followed by a chain reaction. Reedy Creek stated they have complained about not having enough manpower for rescues and concerns about water rescues. People left on stretchers. Wait until this happens in the heat of day in July or August. No thanks!

Resale restrictions and Gondola crashes. Disney’s newest resort is off to a rough start. I’ll continue to enjoy my beach club contract.

pretty sure people didn’t leave on stretchers tho

Why does the swaying matter? If someone is bothered by potential swaying, they shouldn't be on the gondolas to begin with IMO. If someone is bothered because they can't immediately open the door and get out, then they shouldn't ride the monorail either.

I agree.

I don't understand why posters seem to insist "could" means "100%will" :confused3

Facts are always relevant.

Okay. What is there about what happened that makes posters think Disney doesn't know something needs to be fixed? I would expect that having this exact knowledge is why Disney closed the Skyliner for an indefinite period.

I know not to pull extreme numbers out of thin air, no pun intended. I also know that being disabled or "elderly" does not make the Skyliner inadvisable.

When was the last time you ever heard of someone's brain literally exploding in conjunction with one's mind being blown?

I'm confused. When did @sam_gordon start representing, or even working for Disney - in PR or anywhere? Strangely enough, I'm reading what he wrote as his opinion of point of view.

You know, I could respond to all of this but there is no point. You are simply trying to get a reaction. You know better than most of what you post but it obviously entertains you.

So I will end it here and will no longer respond to the ridiculous "arguments" you try so hard to make. For goodness sakes, you could at least stop trying to change the meaning of what I say.

I told you before that you are a Disney defender. Literally ANYTHING could happen and you would defend them. By all means, if you feel that way, more power to you. But YOUR opinion of them being perfect doesn't make everyone else wrong.

It could matter very much to someone having a panic attack. So that's Disney's defense? You shouldn't have been on it anyway? Seriously? Here we have this brand new transportation that is being heavily advertised and the CM's are pushing but if someone has a panic attack in a situation like this, you seriously think their defense should be "well you shouldn't have been on it anyway"?
So if someone is subject a panic attack, would you advise they ride ToT? Disney tells pregnant women and those with heart conditions they shouldn't ride certain rides. Why? Because they know those medical conditions could be exacerbated. I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing panic attacks can be triggered by different things. So one person who is subject to panic attacks would have no problem with the gondolas, another person may not even be able to look at them. So they can't tell people "if you have this condition, don't ride". But I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to realize that if you have a problem with heights or enclosed spaces, you may want to stay away from the gondolas.

You know, I could respond to all of this but there is no point. You are simply trying to get a reaction.
No. Like every other poster in this thread, I am giving my opinions.
You are simply trying to get a reaction.
I have to admit, I am extremely surprised - almost to the point of shock - that someone who does not know me would deign to think they know my motivations, reasons, and thinking.
I told you before that you are a Disney defender. Literally ANYTHING could happen and you would defend them.
I refuse to believe the sky is falling because there was a transportation accident, the cause of which is not yet known and which may never be publicized, and in which there were no apparent physical injuries.

And I refuse to feel guilty for responses bring reasonably when people panic.

So if someone is subject a panic attack, would you advise they ride ToT? Disney tells pregnant women and those with heart conditions they shouldn't ride certain rides. Why? Because they know those medical conditions could be exacerbated. I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing panic attacks can be triggered by different things. So one person who is subject to panic attacks would have no problem with the gondolas, another person may not even be able to look at them. So they can't tell people "if you have this condition, don't ride". But I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to realize that if you have a problem with heights or enclosed spaces, you may want to stay away from the gondolas.

No, of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

If you know you have a problem with heights or are claustrophobic then, yes, someone may want to stay away. But anxiety attacks can be caused in that kind of situation for other reasons. You do know this correct?

Yeah I don't think people understand the issue with the evacuations. I really want this to work but right now I am not confident that Disney can get everyone off of the gondolas before there is severe medical issues. The great thing about this event is that they were able to get the line moving again AND that is the reason they were able to get everyone off. If the line doesn't move how do they get the people off? Given the amount of time it took just to get 6 cars unloaded this seems like the biggest issue. I don't have any clue how many cars are on the line in the air at a time but when I was there 2 weeks a go it was overwhelming how many cars are up in the air. I couldn't imagine 27 fire fighters working around the clock could get everyone off in a reasonable amount of time.

Now from what I can tell they seem to have reports of a monorail evac every year or so. Could you imagine if that is the frequency of the skyliner evacs?

They can't get the scissor lift under all the cars. If they are over a slope or on soggy soil it would be impossible to get it safely up to the gondola. Not to mention if the gondola is over water or next to a pole or over a tree or planter. That is why they were using a ladder truck. They can have the truck on stable ground and have the ladder at an angle up to the gondola.
Thank you for this post. I know a lot of people are accusing those of us pointing out the dangers of worst case scenario as claiming "the sky is falling," but when erecting any form of transportation, you always have to prepare for worst case scenario. If they cannot control temperatures or increase speed of evacuation, they will have to consider limited skyliner use during hot weather during the day. This would not be a great solution for Disney World, but one I am sure they will be looking at more seriously after this event.

They were very lucky that this did not end up being worse. Hopefully, some very smart people will come up with a better evac plan.

I sure do hope they can resolve sooner than later.
The issues commonly discussed didn't concern me. After this weekend, 2 people in my party who already had slight height fears have decided they no longer feel comfortable. It's been exciting to watch it develop over 2 years. Sad to see it get off on the wrong foot. They have a lot of hurdles to confront before it will back to normal.

People often say they're afraid or not comfortable with things and magically change their mind as time goes on. How many times have you heard people say they'll "never talk to <some person> again!" only to be doing so days later? After 9/11, lots of people said they'd never fly again. My guess is 99% of them have taken a flight since saying that.

Best to not confront people who have that fear and let time pass. Anything you say will just make them dig in deeper and will draw you into a pointless debate that will resolve itself eventually anyway. Someone will inevitably disagree with me to try and get me to argue; the same person will eventually ride the skyliner. It's how we operate.

No, of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

If you know you have a problem with heights or are claustrophobic then, yes, someone may want to stay away. But anxiety attacks can be caused in that kind of situation for other reasons. You do know this correct?
You missed my point. You said the swaying could matter to someone having a panic attack. What I said is if someone knows they'll suffer (or potentially suffer) an attack if the gondola sways, they shouldn't go on it.

You missed my point. You said the swaying could matter to someone having a panic attack. What I said is if someone knows they'll suffer an attack if the gondola sways, they shouldn't go on it.

How on God's earth would they know that if they had never been on one before?

This is done. You have taken this so far off the subject of the incident just to try and get at me. Be gone and find a new hobby.

No. Like every other poster in this thread, I am giving my opinions.

I have to admit, I am extremely surprised - almost to the point of shock - that someone who does not know me would deign to think they know my motivations, reasons, and thinking.

I refuse to believe the sky is falling because there was a transportation accident, the cause of which is not yet known and which may never be publicized, and in which there were no apparent physical injuries.

And I refuse to feel guilty for responses bring reasonably when people panic.

One more:

Acting like nothing is important or a big deal is not being reasonable.

I don't have to know you personally to know what you are doing. Its obvious.

No one said the sky is falling. I seriously doubt anyone here believes the sky is falling. Have you ever known of it to literally fall? That is your thing right? Have to be literal?

No one said feel guilty but we could go back through MANY threads of people complaining or not being happy with something Disney does and what would we find your opinion to be? I wouldn't even have to guess.

pretty sure people didn’t leave on stretchers tho
https://www.ajc.com/news/national/r...yliner-gondola-system/Tnucrn3Nmcan3jFZ6FcJjL/
Quoted from this article that interviewed a guest who had been stranded:

"The biggest thing we became worried about is when they began evacuating the gondola behind us. They did get a bucket up there to remove two at a time," Murray said. "Once they got the first couple down, there was one taken on a stretcher to an ambulance that was parked there."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!