That didn't take long...Skyliner Accident

Oh, no--I hope everyone is okay. DH hates heights, so once I learned that these were 60 feet above the ground in some places I knew we'd probably never ride them. But I didn't expect there to be real problems with them. I wonder how this is going to play out long term, whether they're going to have a history of problems or work well after this. Once minor crash they may be able to recover from, in terms of public perception and ridership. But more than that I don't think so...

I read that the blue one got stuck leaving the station followed by a chain reaction. Reedy Creek stated they have complained about not having enough manpower for rescues and concerns about water rescues. People left on stretchers. Wait until this happens in the heat of day in July or August. No thanks!

Resale restrictions and Gondola crashes. Disney’s newest resort is off to a rough start. I’ll continue to enjoy my beach club contract.

https://monorailnews.com/2019/10/05/breaking-crash-on-the-walt-disney-world-skyliner/
Update: A Disney spokesperson has described this incident as “unexpected downtime, not a crash.”

“We also now have a better image of the impacted cabin, you can clearly see shattered glass on the ground around the cabin.”

So shattered glass following an impact is not a crash. It is an unexpected downtime. Who do they think they’re fooling? The Skyliner will be shutdown for a loooong time for investigation.

Last edited:
They used cherry pickers rescuing 2 guests at a time. If this happened on a 98 degree humid day, there would have been severe possibly fatal consequences. Corporate greed really effects judgement and common sense.

Cherry pickers over water?

From what I understand, there are emergency cooling systems that work for 3 or so hours, in the case of extended downtime during the heat. I haven't ridden yet though, so I might be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!