Thanksgiving at OKW?

reneesam

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>Tag fairies do n
Anyone heading to OKW for Thanksgiving? Does Olivia's have traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

Yes, Olivia's does a traditional dinner, as do many of the hotel restaurants. We have been to OKW twice for Thanksgiving. It is my favorite time - absolutely perfect weather, and the holiday decorations go up. Be sure to visit the hotels to see all of them! For dinner, one year my mom treated everyone to the Grand Floridian buffet in the convention center there. Very elegant (and pricey) with a string quartet. food was good. The next year, my husband wanted to "eat in", so we bought a prepared traditional dinner at Goodings (it was very reasonably priced, surprisingly), and added a few things for an at-home meal at our villa. Publix and Albertsons also do the prepared- turkey- dinner take-out, also. Have a wonderful time!

We also got a prepared meal at Publix and it was quite good; it did not take long to prepare at all!

We ate Thanksgiving Dinner at Olivia's last year. IT WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!! And very expensive. It was a single plate (round dinner plate, not that large) with a scoop of dressing, sweet potatoe casserole and two medium sized slices of pressed turkey meat (you know the kind, half white and half dark meat). The dessert was a small (very skinny) slice of pumpkin pie with a dab of whipped topping. (I think it was their attempt at nouvelle cuisine.) It cost us about $29 per person. Lucky for us we didn't order it for our son and he got a grilled cheese sandwich. This year we will eat at the Yacht Club Galley for their buffet. Last year they had steamship round and turkey that they sliced for you. And it was all you can eat. For the same price.

:(

Deb & Bill-

Thanks for your straightforward report (and thank to all of you!) We were leaning toward Olivia's because we're not arriving until Thanksgiving day and didn't want to go far! But we wil reconsider after your report...we don't want to get off to a bad start with yucky food:eek:

We may see you at the Yacht Club Galley!!!!

Renee

We've spent Thanksgiving at OKW at least 4-5 times and the issue of dinner always comes up. I'm sentimental and really enjoy
a traditional meal, but on the other this is a vacation and I don't want to be tied to the kitchen. So far the best compromise is to pick up the precooked turkey (just the bird, not the whole deluxe dinner) at Goodings or Publix and choose your own already prepared side dishes right there when you pick up the turkey---otherwise you're going to have more stuffing and cranberry sauce than you could possibly eat and probably one spoonful of mashed potatoes per person! You can do this the evening before or on Thanksgiving day itself----just be sure to preorder the turkey! Then all you have to do is heat everything up,although the turkey may take a few hours.
Twice we ordered the room-service type meal that Olivia's brings to your unit and after the last time I vowed I would never do it again. There were six of us and it cost close to $150. They served us a pumpkin pie that had 2 pieces taken out of it (get it, 6 pieces for 6 people!) which we thought was really cheap. The turkey was good but the sides were so-so and nobody had enough potatoes or green beans! To top it all off, we were scammed by our servers----we knew the gratuity was not included, but no one informed us that 18% would be added automatically. Since we were unsure, we asked, and were specifically told that the tip was totally up to us. We generously tipped with cash and were qiute surprised to find the 18% added to our final bill. When we informed the desk what had happened, they graciously removed the charge and I believe the workers may have gotten in trouble, but all in all we decided to not go this route again.
Hope this helps....We will be spending next Thanksgiving at OKW and I'm actually contemplating going to a restaurant this time but can't seem to bring myself to do it. The rest of my family couldn't care less but I keep trying to create that Norman Rockwell environment!

Thanksgiving '99 Dinner was catered by an off-site vendor but we ordered it through MS. We ordered dinner for 10, got two turkeys, 2 orders of mashed potatoes, green beans, squash,stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls. 10 soft drinks of our choice and 2 apple pies! It was wonderful. I heard that the vendor stopped it the next year. I am interested in the Publix idea. Which Publix do you use and how early do you order the turkey? I just got a heads up for PS for Thanksgiving and would appreciate some help.
Thanks

We've eaten at Buffolo Bills at Fort Wilderness a couple of times. Food was good, price was fair. It was an all you can eat buffet type with seating in the pavillian. They have a few seating during the day so what ever is best for your schedule. It's not home, but it's pretty good for WDW

:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter