Thanks guys for taking on the PC Repo $100 increase

Jhalkias

<font color=darkgreen>DIS Geek<br><font color=indi
I want to thank all of you for making the DCL $100 increase your #1 story today. Beyond what you have already done with Dreams unlimited to help out your clients, keeping the fire burning with your podcast is most appreciated.

I have posted a link to here on the PC repo threads, and hopefully got you some more listeners!

Thanks again, and keep up the good work guys!

I'd like to add my thanks as well.:thumbsup2

A big THANK YOU from me too! I haven't had time to listen yet (I usually listen Tuesday evening), but saw the post. What DU has done for us PC cruisers is fantastic!

pdarrah

Being a fan of DCL, but not on either of the two repo cruises I followed the posts with casual interest.

I was amazed that DCL responded to all the email complaints with form letter “canned” responses and follow-up complaints were also met with canned responses.

For several days and what appeared to be hundreds of complaints DCL seemingly had no intentions of explaining the increase nor were they going to do much more than deflect the calls, letters, and emails.

Interestingly enough, Jason Garcia – Orlando Sentinel Travel Reporter – was contacted by a repo cruiser on August 6th and was given detailed information about this issue.

In turn, Mr. Garcia called the DCL Public Relations department on August 7th for comment. Mr. Garcia explained that he would be writing an article about this issue and it would appear in the August 8th Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

In very short order DCL made “an about face” and decided to refund the entire amount estimated to be about $500,000 ($100 per person @ approximately 5,000 passengers for both cruises) based on the potential bad publicity DCL was about to receive.

Mr. Garcia did write a prelude to the newspaper article on his blog - Click Here - after that Tuesday morning conversation and the article did appear in the Wednesday, August 8th edition, but based on DCL’s decision to refund the money it didn’t have the same slant that the original article would have had.

DCL was also smart to send out an email right away on Tuesday, August 7th prior to the article appearing in the newspaper stating in a alleged “good will” gesture they were going to absorb the entire increase.

A debt of gratitude is deserving to Mr. Garcia; he apparently was the “straw that broke the camel’s back” since DCL made their decisions within hours of talking to Mr. Garcia.

Hey DCLWDW,

While I appreciate your feedback and perspective, I believe the credit for turning this DCL fiasco around goes to the community found here on the DIS boards.

It was they who created a letter writing campaign and bombarded DCL with complaint letters.

It was they who did research and contacted the Panama Canal Authority

And it was these boards and the community here to whom Mr. Garcia turned when he wanted information and ammunition for his article.

I believe if you do some research of your own, you will find that all of the information contained in Mr. Garcia's article can be found on these boards in posts that predate his published article. You will also find actual posts by Mr. Garcia asking the folks on these boards to talk to him.

So to sum this up....I think credit should go to the rightful place...and thats to the DIS community. I think even Mr. Garcia would agree.

Kevin

DisneyKevin,

A lot of what you say is true, but the fact remains that a repo cruiser wrote a letter to Mr. Garcia and gave him the necessary information. Until the fiasco Mr. Garcia wasn't aware of the DIS Boards or the information available on them.

My original point was that DCL was deflecting the complaints with form letters and had given no indication they would budge on this issue until the Orlando Sentinel contacted the DCL Public Relations department. In a matter of hours from Mr. Garcia's phone call DCL conceded and sent out an email with the good news.

I do believe the DCL client community played a part and clearly got DCL's attention but I found it curious that DCL's concession email came within hours of Mr. Garcia's phone call.

DCL had no interest in receiving bad PR from the toll increase so as I said before the potential article seemingly "broke the camel's back".

If you have any doubt of my statements please contact Mr. Garcia he will be happy to explain the circumstances.

I know that the DIS is far reaching, but not known by everyone. Since Mr. Garcia was unaware of the DIS boards and the information posted to it a thank you should also probably go out to the repo cruiser who contacted him.

I understand you believe this is my "perspective"; so please call Mr. Garcia and get the facts as I did.

Thank you for responding.

Sorry, Jason Garcia, Scott Powers and others at the Orlando Sentinel are VERY VERY familiar with our forums, and have solicited our members numerous times for information - without EVER ONCE giving credit to this site. Jason knew about us long before this, and if he told you otherwise, he was being disingenuous. Also, we know for a fact that DCL was embarassed when Dreams Unlimited stepped up to eat the increase for it's clients. Trust me, an article from the Sentinel would not be enough for DCL to make a policy change like this. The people who actually book DCL vacations aren't reading the Orlando Sentinel - their reading the DISBoards.

Here's a link to where the reporter solicited the DISers for info:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1325404&page=1421

If he had been contacted by someone, he didn't mention it. For that matter, he didn't mention using the DIS as a source for his article.

Both DCL and the Sentinel are very aware of this site.

The letter to Mr. Garcia was written the weekend of August 4th and a follow-up phone conversation took place on the 6th. Mr. Garcia had already spoken to DCL prior to the post that you referenced. He registered to get additional information; hence the post. The chronology of events on that Monday and Tuesday happened very quickly so you need to investigate what happened and when.

Whether he was familiar with the DIS boards isn't really relevant; he wasn't aware of this issue until the letter (email was sent) to him.

The only way for you to get at the truth of the matter is to speak with Mr. Garcia. He will tell you that a letter was written which is how he found out. The writer has been asked to remain anonymous.

BTW...I didn't say DCL and the Sentinel wasn't aware of the DIS, just that Mr. Garcia didn't seem to be that familar with the DIS and he certainly wasn't aware of this issue.

The letter to Mr. Garcia was written the weekend of August 4th and a follow-up phone conversation took place on the 6th. Mr. Garcia had already spoken to DCL prior to the post that you referenced. He registered to get additional information; hence the post. The chronology of events on that Monday and Tuesday happened very quickly so you need to investigate what happened and when.

Whether he was familiar with the DIS boards isn't really relevant; he wasn't aware of this issue until the letter (email was sent) to him.

The only way for you to get at the truth of the matter is to speak with Mr. Garcia. He will tell you that a letter was written which is how he found out. The writer has been asked to remain anonymous.

BTW...I didn't say DCL and the Sentinel wasn't aware of the DIS, just that Mr. Garcia didn't seem to be that familar with the DIS and he certainly wasn't aware of this issue.

Just popping in on this thread for a quick visit and noticed a couple of things...
Mr. Garcia was familiar enough with The DIS to search for and to subsequently find the RePo thread (and to ask for feedback in that thread).
Also, something about the bolded line above...did you mean to say that the letter-writer was asked by someone else to remain anonymous, or that the letter-writer himself/herself asked Mr. Garcia to remain anonymous in Mr. Garcia's stories?

agnes!

Mr. Garcia was familiar enough with The DIS to search for and to subsequently find the RePo thread (and to ask for feedback in that thread).
Also, something about the bolded line above...did you mean to say that the letter-writer was asked by someone else to remain anonymous, or that the letter-writer himself/herself asked Mr. Garcia to remain anonymous in Mr. Garcia's stories?

agnes!

The letter writer told Mr. Garcia where to find the thread during the follow-up conversation. If you read his post it is obvious he is well aware of the issue and was looking to speak with others that had to deal with toll increase. Being a good reporter he is looking for more than one source.

His post was time stamped Aug 7th @ 1:20 PM and his blog entry was time stamped Aug 7th @ 3:30 PM which supports my statement that Mr. Garcia already had a response from DCL on abandoning the toll increase and he was just looking for additional information for his print article in the newspaper for the following day - August 8th.

During the follow-up conversation on August 6th the letter writer asked Mr. Garcia not to use their name. The person is on one of the cruises and was fearful of some backlash.

Again, if you don't believe me then send an email or call Mr. Garcia. He will clear up the series of events that lead up to DCL's decision.

I just spoke with the letter writer and they sent me a copy of the email sent to them by Mr. Garcia on Aug 7th @ 10:15 AM which shows conclusively that DCL had made a decision to abandon the toll increase 3 hours before Mr. Garcia made his first post to the DIS at 1:20 PM.

On Tue Aug 7 10:15 AM , "Garcia, Jason R" sent:

Hi,

Are you around? I'm going to write a story about this for tomorrow's paper. Just spoke with Disney, and it has decided it's going to pay that tax itself, after all. Letters should be going out this week. If you don't mind, I'd ask that you not repeat that yet, simply becuase I'd like to put it in the paper first if possible. But if you've got a moment this afternoon, give me a call at 407-420-5414 and I can fill you in on their explanation.

Thanks for your help,

Jason Garcia

If you were one of the ones that complained via email to DCL you were sent an email later that afternoon on August 7th basically beating Mr. Garcia's newspaper article to the punch. Please check your email timestamp to confirm my statement if you received one.

I was just sent another follow-up email, below is the content where Mr Garcia thanks the letter writer:

On Tue Aug 7 12:50 PM , "Garcia, Jason R" sent:

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help and the heads up. We put this up on our website (and there'll be a bit more in tomorrow's paper, thoughly mostly just more background about the situation):

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2007/08/disney-abandons.html

jason

Not to be argumentative, but . . . .

While Mr. Garcia may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, I think it is going a bit far to give him full credit for this refund. It would not have happened had the people on the DIS not launched the campaign, and not contacted him in the first place.

The Press was a tool and an instrument that was utilized by the DIS'ers - a very powerful one as the press can be, but a tool nonetheless.

I do think we all owe Mr. Garcia a Thank You as well, and I did trade voicemail and email with him as this was transpiring. Next was going to be TV media as well - the DIS'ers were NOT going to give up!

While Mr. Garcia may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, I think it is going a bit far to give him full credit for this refund. It would not have happened had the people on the DIS not launched the campaign, and not contacted him in the first place.

Absolutely agree! It was a team effort and the DIS community played a large part. I didn't mean to infer that Mr. Garcia should get all the credit.

I was just trying to give credit to others that played an integral part too: the letter writer and Mr. Garcia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter