TGM and EUOE closing so what does that mean for our favorite rides.

The Movie Ride and especially Energy have been unpopular for years. You can walk on to Energy anytime you want. Taking it out means nothing for your popular rides. The Movie Ride has been losing popularity since it opened, but the real reason it's gone is the re-themeing of DHS, coupled with the fact of TGMR's waning popularity.

The Haunted Mansion is safe. :)

When we start to pine over how things used to be, I'm afraid it's just a sign of growing older. The younger people won't know (or care) how things used to be, only how they are now. (Until they start to age that is) It's perfectly natural to want things to remain as they were but it's just not realistic. Whether that's good or bad is irrelevant, it's simply the way it is.

When we start to pine over how things used to be, I'm afraid it's just a sign of growing older. The younger people won't know (or care) how things used to be, only how they are now. (Until they start to age that is) It's perfectly natural to want things to remain as they were but it's just not realistic. Whether that's good or bad is irrelevant, it's simply the way it is.
I think what we seem to be missing, is that most people go to Disney for Disney rides that take us to another time and place, and as we get older we tend to enjoy the things from our youth, so if they keep removing things of our youth, to make it more youthful, they are going to lose those that go for nostalgic reasons. I think some have gotten scared because Universal took a touring point from Disney, and now they feel they need to do something to draw a younger crowd. The problem is finding a nice balance to keep those who like things the way they are, and those who feel everything needs to be updated.

There is sitll plenty I feel though for the nostalgic side, especailly at Magic Kingdom. There are a ton of rides from the early years left there. AS stated the stuff getting remved or changed is things that haven't been drawing crowds really. There has been no rumors at all of stuff like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, etc. possibly getting changed. So I think they are doing the balance now of keeping the good nostalgic rides that people as a whole seem to still enjoy and ride and changing out old rides that aren't popular for newer stuff to draw in younger crowds.

For what it's worth, my seven-year-old is pretty unhappy about GMR. She also is sad that they got rid of Sum of All Thrills (here's hoping the rumors of it coming back are true) and talks about that when we go to Epcot.

With two more rides shuttering their doors, for now (I'm assuming to make way for something new), what does this mean for other classic rides. I was thinking about this. How much can imagineers keep updating till the parks we remember as kids are gone? If you stepped foot on the Hollywood park the day it opened its doors there will be only one original ride and that is the Indiana Jones show. With technology totally shifting and moving what would you think if they decided to close Peter Pan (as this is the slowest load ride and inefficient) and maybe It's a Small World to add some new ground breaking technology ride. Two rides gone (poof). At what point does removing the "classics" over step the lines. I know that some rides become outdated and obsolete, but when is enough enough? When will Disney finally say, you've gutted the park enough of its past to make way for the future? What ride would you be the most upset if you hear it is being shuttered for good?

A few things on this.

The whole "spirit" of MGM/Hollywood Studios has been gone for quite a long time. When MGM opened there were only two attractions in operation (The Studio Backlot Tour and The Great Movie Ride). By the time the park re-branded in 2008, they were ready to get rid of all the "non-immersive" attractions like The Studio Backlot Tour, Captain Jack Sparrow, etc.

The most recent Dining with an Imagineer that I did, our Imagineer said that there are certain rides in Magic Kingdom (what us lay people refer to as "Legacy Rides") that absolutely have to remain in operation. The rides that are synonymous with Magic Kingdom. For example, when Storybook Circus was being built, Imagineering was not allowed to stop and move Dumbo to the new location until the new Dumbo ride was up and operational.

Now, who decides what rides are considered this level, I have no idea.

With all that being said, it's still just a point in time reference. I really loved Great Movie Ride, and sure, it was the icon of the park when the park was in it's prime. But they never did any big updates. When the park was actually opened and had more than a handful of rides, I never remember waiting very long...15 minutes tops. I think it just seems like Great Movie Ride is more popular than it really is, currently, because a.) when there are so few things to do in the parks the guests have to go somewhere and b.) as when anything closes everything revels in the nostalgia.

Same thing happened with Maelstrom. As soon as something is slated to go away, all of a sudden it's everyone's favorite ride.

You never really know what you got until it's gone, kind of thing.

I've only been going to Disney parks for a little less than 20 years, so I can't say much for sake of truly "classic" rides. I can, however, speak from the fact that's basically my entire life, so I have a lot of sentimentality toward some of these rides shutting down that have been around as long as I can remember.

I'll miss both GMR & EUOE dearly for sure. I remember I went on GMR for the first time when I was 6 and was absolutely scared to death from the Xenomorph, and never wanting to go on a dark ride again. It was always a great story to tell friends when visiting or just talking about the parks, though. For EUOE, I was completely enchanted the first time I went on and would give a play-by-play of the entire ride to anyone that would listen.

That being said, I understand why they're leaving. Both are clearly outdated. Hollywood Studios doesn't feel like Hollywood Studios anymore, so I'm guessing they're trying to re-brand and get things more cohesive before the name's officially changed. No truly classic rides should be in trouble, especially for Magic Kingdom. I feel like most other parks are up for debate as far as rides though with the surge in popularity at Universal Studios. Their 'no sacred cows' mindset has been working pretty well, so I'm sure Disney's weighing their options outside of MK (except for hopefully Stitch).

Oddly enough when I went to the doctor (and take this with an absolute grain of salt, I have no confirmation on this past her own word), I had a conversation with one of the nurses about how one of her friends worked on Journey Into Imagination and how she got to be one of the 'test riders'. In hindsight I should've asked more, I'm not even sure if she meant the 2002 or 1983 iteration. Regardless, she offhandedly mentioned that her friend said that it's slated for closing. It's pretty much on the same level as GMR & EUOE in terms of being outdated really, it just needs a complete overhaul at this point in my opinion. Not to mention it scared me just as much as GMR when I was a kid!

Basically I think the classic-classic rides are in no trouble at all. But with this current trend, we should definitely appreciate the less-popular rides before they're inevitably closed for bigger and (hopefully) better things.

I've only been going to Disney parks for a little less than 20 years, so I can't say much for sake of truly "classic" rides. I can, however, speak from the fact that's basically my entire life, so I have a lot of sentimentality toward some of these rides shutting down that have been around as long as I can remember.

I'll miss both GMR & EUOE dearly for sure. I remember I went on GMR for the first time when I was 6 and was absolutely scared to death from the Xenomorph, and never wanting to go on a dark ride again. It was always a great story to tell friends when visiting or just talking about the parks, though. For EUOE, I was completely enchanted the first time I went on and would give a play-by-play of the entire ride to anyone that would listen.

That being said, I understand why they're leaving. Both are clearly outdated. Hollywood Studios doesn't feel like Hollywood Studios anymore, so I'm guessing they're trying to re-brand and get things more cohesive before the name's officially changed. No truly classic rides should be in trouble, especially for Magic Kingdom. I feel like most other parks are up for debate as far as rides though with the surge in popularity at Universal Studios. Their 'no sacred cows' mindset has been working pretty well, so I'm sure Disney's weighing their options outside of MK (except for hopefully Stitch).

Oddly enough when I went to the doctor (and take this with an absolute grain of salt, I have no confirmation on this past her own word), I had a conversation with one of the nurses about how one of her friends worked on Journey Into Imagination and how she got to be one of the 'test riders'. In hindsight I should've asked more, I'm not even sure if she meant the 2002 or 1983 iteration. Regardless, she offhandedly mentioned that her friend said that it's slated for closing. It's pretty much on the same level as GMR & EUOE in terms of being outdated really, it just needs a complete overhaul at this point in my opinion. Not to mention it scared me just as much as GMR when I was a kid!

Basically I think the classic-classic rides are in no trouble at all. But with this current trend, we should definitely appreciate the less-popular rides before they're inevitably closed for bigger and (hopefully) better things.

I have often wondered why Journey Into Imagination is still going as there is never a line for it. I guess without it Figment goes away. It definitely needs something.

I have often wondered why Journey Into Imagination is still going as there is never a line for it. I guess without it Figment goes away. It definitely needs something.
They likely sell just enough Figment hats to make it worth their while to keep it open for now.
It takes relatively few cast members to run, the skunk smell probably doesn't cost that much, and there aren't that many animatronics that can break, and if they do... who cares?

They likely sell just enough Figment hats to make it worth their while to keep it open for now.
It takes relatively few cast members to run, the skunk smell probably doesn't cost that much, and there aren't that many animatronics that can break, and if they do... who cares?
Figment is all over all festival merchandise too. The character itself is fine but the ride sucks. Just redo the ride and everything would be fine.

Figment is all over all festival merchandise too. The character itself is fine but the ride sucks. Just redo the ride and everything would be fine.
This is the third redue for Figment, I guess the second was worse then the current one. I actually like this one.

I really like the idea of Inside Out taking over the ride portion of the Imagination pavilion. I love that movie and it is very creative and can be extended into a ride. I would then create an all new Figment 4D movie for the theatre. Kind of like the Muppets have been "just" a movie experience in DHS.

I am okay with UOE going away. I always liked the dinosaurs, but otherwise it was mostly just a good place to cool off and rest. I will however really miss the Great Movie Ride. It has been a favorite for me since I first rode it in 1991. It could/should have been updated to be more current, but I am excited to see Mickey and Minnie get and actual ride! Too long coming!

That would be a good use for the Imagination pavilion. They need to keep Figment involved there somehow so a new 4D film woudl be good. Ideally I'd say they need to compeltely redo the theatre though and make it better in general for a new attraction. Just puting a new film int here would be a bit underwhelming as the theatre jstu feels old and in need of an updated. MAybe also put in seats that do some sort of motion to them. Don't necisarrily have to be extreme movement (though that would be a possibility too) but something to get a little more movement with the video.

I think they should stop removing rides

I agree. Adding attractions without removing them offers you more attractions for your money, but it also helps spread out the ever growing crowds.

The current version of Figment has to be on the chopping block. That entire pavilion is sad.

I like Figment, but that whole area is sad. But its sad because Disney has wanted it that way. Maybe not by plan, but by negligance. FWIW, I've always suspected that Disney really doesn't know what to do with Epcot.

As a person who attends all the time, I don't like to wait longer then 20 minutes, so why get rid of the rides with lower wait times, just because they have low wait times doesn't mean they are bad rides.

I agree. Just because the wait time is low, doesn't mean people don't enjoy the ride. Also, rides with low wait times help spread out the crowds.

I still think its strange they take out movie ride now with so much gone from MGM...that 2,600 riders an hour is huge. They obviously looked at something that made them jump on this now...

The rumor I heard was that TCM sponsorship was ending soon. Every time I road GMR, there was a line and a wait. I wish they would have updated it and kept it going.

I think what we seem to be missing, is that most people go to Disney for Disney rides that take us to another time and place, and as we get older we tend to enjoy the things from our youth, so if they keep removing things of our youth, to make it more youthful, they are going to lose those that go for nostalgic reasons

My wife asked me why I like going to Disney. After I thought about it, I had to respond that it was nostalgia for a time where I didn't have to worry about bills, work, etc., when I was a kid and was young. This has hit me more and more as I move in to the 3rd quarter of my life.

For what it's worth, my seven-year-old is pretty unhappy about GMR.

My 9 year old cried when she heard it was closing. Although she had only seen the Wizard of Oz, she will miss that ride.

Now, who decides what rides are considered this level, I have no idea.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Disney corporate person who says a ride is untouchable won't be working for Disney forever. New management has new ideas. Someone could take over that decides that Haunted Mansion or PP is past their prime. I don't think any ride is untouchable.

FWIW, if I was in charge, I would move Peter Pan to a new location, clone the ride to add another track, and put another ride in its old location.

That would be a good use for the Imagination pavilion. They need to keep Figment involved there somehow so a new 4D film woudl be good. Ideally I'd say they need to compeltely redo the theatre though and make it better in general for a new attraction. Just puting a new film int here would be a bit underwhelming as the theatre jstu feels old and in need of an updated. MAybe also put in seats that do some sort of motion to them. Don't necisarrily have to be extreme movement (though that would be a possibility too) but something to get a little more movement with the video.
I agree the theatre definitely needs to be rehabbed.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Disney corporate person who says a ride is untouchable won't be working for Disney forever. New management has new ideas. Someone could take over that decides that Haunted Mansion or PP is past their prime. I don't think any ride is untouchable.

That's why I said it's a snapshot in time.

From my experience, the two things that CEO's care about are money and reputation. When presented with a choice where those two things are inversely related, it's up to that specific individual to set his/her own breaking point.

"How much money would I have to make in order to offset the backlash of removing 'it's a small world'?"

"Sure, if I converted 'Journey into Imagination' back to it's original glory I'll be praised, but is that positive press worth the money it would take?"

etc.

Would it be a bad thing if one day a new CEO of Disney decided to say "what the heck" and bring back closed attractions or even getting rid of an IP based attraction for something without any tie-in? Even using the phrase "make Disney great again" to justify it? Or would Disney using that slogan bring backlash? There is no law saying that Disney can't bring anything back as if it never left.

The current version of Figment has to be on the chopping block. That entire pavilion is sad. The little stuff that remains after the ride hardly works, the ride itself is an embarrassment versus the well-loved previous version, and the queue, which was part of the reason they shrunk the line, is not needed. Pixar's shorts, or whatever plays in the old Captain EO space, is just shoehorned in. If they didn't have as big a problem with UoE, and an entirely empty pavilion with WoL, and completely empty space in Innoventions, I'm sure Imagination would be due for a revamp. But with problems all over FutureWorld, Imagination still functions, albeit badly, so it's not topping the list yet.

The current movies in the pavilion are fantastic. If you haven't gone, you're missing out.

Imagination is lost. Nothing will touch the 1st iteration of it (although I thought the movies were the weak part back then - until Captain EO).

If Dragon Challenge can go, nothing is safe IMO. But at least it cant get worse than that. The bar is now set extremely high.

B&M roller coasters, or any roller coasters are throw away investments. They have a shelf life.

True but energy definitely doesn't meet their quota. But I know you know that.

I have no idea what the Mickey ride capacity will be, but I doubt it'll be what GMR is. Movie ride is a people eater

I'd speculate that with the addition of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge, a people eating attraction won't be needed.

The Movie Ride and especially Energy have been unpopular for years. You can walk on to Energy anytime you want. Taking it out means nothing for your popular rides. The Movie Ride has been losing popularity since it opened, but the real reason it's gone is the re-themeing of DHS, coupled with the fact of TGMR's waning popularity.

The Haunted Mansion is safe. :)

I'd disagree on the TMR being unpopular. We've had to endure long lines in each of our last three visits at different times of the year, before and during the expansion.

I've been told that Figment is still one of the top selling character merchandise at the parks, which is why he continues to be used, and even added to more. He has a very loyal following.

I agree. Adding attractions without removing them offers you more attractions for your money, but it also helps spread out the ever growing crowds.

If an unpopular attraction has no wait, i.e. Figment/UoE. How does it disperse the crowd? They're always a walk on for me. You need to have attractions with the ability to queue at least 15-20 minutes worth of people at any given moment.

If an unpopular attraction has no wait, i.e. Figment/UoE. How does it disperse the crowd? They're always a walk on for me. You need to have attractions with the ability to queue at least 15-20 minutes worth of people at any given moment.

I've been to Epcot when Figment was a 30 minute wait.

Even attractions that are considered to be "unpopular" still have folks that go on them. For example, the people are lamenting UoE going away. The folks that go on them are folks that are not going on other rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!