Texting on board?

vtwep

DIS Veteran
From what I understand, phones can be in airplane mode and connected to ship wi-fi, and you can "text" through the app. However, you won't see it like a "traditional" text message. When connected to wi-fi in airplane mode, can you text between iPhones (all onboard) without using any of the data you purchased?

I guess even if it used data, text messages use very little if you aren't sending photos, etc.

Anyway - is it possible to text normally onboard in airplane mode with wi-fi on?

From what I understand, phones can be in airplane mode and connected to ship wi-fi, and you can "text" through the app. However, you won't see it like a "traditional" text message. When connected to wi-fi in airplane mode, can you text between iPhones (all onboard) without using any of the data you purchased?

I guess even if it used data, text messages use very little if you aren't sending photos, etc.

Anyway - is it possible to text normally onboard in airplane mode with wi-fi on?

You can't text normally through the free wifi which the Navigator app uses. You have to purchase an internet package and use that. You can get 50MB free if you sign up for it on embarkation day. Just be careful that all auto updates and anything that might use data in the background is turned off or you'll go through the 50MB in a flash.

Connected ot the wifi but not using a paid block (i.e. not logged in) only lets the Disney app work. To be able to text from iMessage or Whats APP or messenger (or whatever wifi enabled texting you want) you have to be logged into your internet account so it will use minutes from a purchased package.

You are correct that that you can text through the DCL Navigator app. It is free and included on the DCL Guest network. There are still reports that sometimes it does not notify properly, so if you are expecting a text, it is worth while to refresh the app once in a while.

You can also text for free on the DCL provided wave phones - which are like regular phones found in your stateroom, and guest services will provide more. Texting in cumbersome, but they phones are set to mute/silent mode and will not make noise.

If you want to text via imessage, whats app, or anything else, you need to log into your DCL Connect at Sea account (via a webpage). Once connected, you will be connected to the outside world to use your device as usual. So any emails, apps running in the background, notifications, will still continue to draw internet. When you no longer wish to be connected you need to disconnect (logout) from the DCL connect at sea webpage.

So yes, you can text normally on board, but it will cost you either your free data or purchased data.

Yes refresh or check the app frequently if you're expecting any messages, we didn't get any kind of notification (audio or vibration) when we got messages so you will have to keep an eye out constantly. That I think is the one feature that I wished they would fix on the app, or at least allow voice calls through the app, a way to stay in immediate contact with your family/friends or fellow cruisers. Hopefully one day they'll address this.

It's better than it used to be. We used to find that it might take a few hours sometimes for a text to come through but last cruise (Dec 16) it seemed to be quicker and more reliable. But you don't get notification as others have mentioned. Still, we found it very useful for coordinating with friends where and when to meet up.

Also, check your phone plans, especially those from the U.S., many carriers are now offering free texting (especially incoming) on the ships or have a deal for unlimited texting on the ship. Picture messages are included, but you will have to turn off anything that bypasses your carriers text messaging system and use data instead like iMessage, etc.

This is a very new development, so contact your carrier and ask.

Also, check your phone plans, especially those from the U.S., many carriers are now offering free texting (especially incoming) on the ships or have a deal for unlimited texting on the ship. Picture messages are included, but you will have to turn off anything that bypasses your carriers text messaging system and use data instead like iMessage, etc.

This is a very new development, so contact your carrier and ask.

Be careful on that. Sprint offers free texting and even 2G internet in port but not when out at sea. If you connect to the ships satellite system it was crazy expensive! They told me a million times when I asked that it was only while in port and on a local network and once at sea the at sea costs applied. As I said I have Sprint but also family on AT&T and Verizon were both told the same thing (and they actually had to pay a daily fee for their international internet and texting).

I just took a look at my carrier (TMobile) and it's $0.50 per text and $5.99/min talk/voice. :crazy2:

Airplane mode it is... ::yes::

Yes refresh or check the app frequently if you're expecting any messages, we didn't get any kind of notification (audio or vibration) when we got messages so you will have to keep an eye out constantly. That I think is the one feature that I wished they would fix on the app, or at least allow voice calls through the app, a way to stay in immediate contact with your family/friends or fellow cruisers. Hopefully one day they'll address this.

You can actually set up the app to receive notifications just like receiving a regular text. I'm not techy, but my DH is and was able to do it for all of our party. It worked great for our cruise, which was in March.

Be careful on that. Sprint offers free texting and even 2G internet in port but not when out at sea. If you connect to the ships satellite system it was crazy expensive! They told me a million times when I asked that it was only while in port and on a local network and once at sea the at sea costs applied. As I said I have Sprint but also family on AT&T and Verizon were both told the same thing (and they actually had to pay a daily fee for their international internet and texting).

I have Sprint too and was just researching this. Someone was arguing with me that it wasn't the case, but it's pretty clear on their website, Bahamas is included. I wonder if that includes Castaway Cay? I guess it should. Question: is it obvious that you are *not* using the ship's satellite connection? For.example, if the ship is in port in Nassau, and I'm on the ship, will it be obvious in my settings on how to get on Sprint's network and not the at sea satellite connection network?

I have Sprint too and was just researching this. Someone was arguing with me that it wasn't the case, but it's pretty clear on their website, Bahamas is included. I wonder if that includes Castaway Cay? I guess it should. Question: is it obvious that you are *not* using the ship's satellite connection? For.example, if the ship is in port in Nassau, and I'm on the ship, will it be obvious in my settings on how to get on Sprint's network and not the at sea satellite connection network?

It is def while on land as I used it in Europe for 2 straight weeks and the only charges I saw were the LTE upgrades I did. You get texting and internet just not phone calls.

I believe if you are connected to a ships network it shows SAT or something similar to that when connected to that. They usually can only have it on in international waters so if you are in port or tendered they most likely won't even have it on. Sprint will text you when ever you get to a new country or coverage level so if you get to Castaway Cay and it texts you something different about coverage then just turn airplane mode on. This happened to me in Monti Carlo and I think in total I got a 1/8 of a cent charge between that message and turning on airplane mode.

As I said, check with your carrier, some carriers are offering cruise packages, but also confirm it works on the particular Disney ship you are on.

For example:
AT&T has packages from $30 for 50 minutes of talk, $60 gives you the same 50 minutes and adds 100 messages and $120 gives you the minutes, texts and 100MB of data: https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

Most carriers are now offering similar cruise packages.

Any luck using the Apple Watch for the on-board texting feature?
I would not count on it, texting requires a cellular signal from any device, and if you use the Shipboard roaming services you'll pay big bux even if it's just for a text. Best to stick with the Navigator App for messaging while at sea.

Does that mean I need my Apple Watch to be in airplane mode too? I was hoping to use it on my Castaway Cay 5k...

Does that mean I need my Apple Watch to be in airplane mode too? I was hoping to use it on my Castaway Cay 5k...
Your Apple Watch only connects to your iPhone, not to Wifi. You shouldn't have to do anything special for the Watch.

so are you able to use it for navigator texting if it's connected to your iphone and your iphone has already connected to the ship wifi?

so are you able to use it for navigator texting if it's connected to your iphone and your iphone has already connected to the ship wifi?
I don't think the app is compatible with the Apple watch. It is not texting in the traditional sense, you have to open the app to send or receive the messages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter