Texas school attendance policy and cruise dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that has chosen to take responsibility for my child's education I always find it shocking them some parents are willing to leave it entirely up to the school. When I hear parents say they're not capable of teaching elementary school math... that is rather shocking.
I take it you're a homeschooler. If so, you are responsible for teaching elementary math in any way you wish. Parents who send their kids to school do not have that luxury and sometimes it's hard to help your child with math the way they learned it in school. I am NO MATH DUMMY and took 3 semesters of Calculus plus two more with Calc as a prerequisite in college. I found it difficult to sit down and help my DD learn multiplication/division because of the way she was being taught in school was much different than the way I learned it 30 years prior. I had to learn their methods first and then translate my methods in order to help her.

FWIW, I agree with other posters who say that Disney is not educational. I believe that is simply an excuse for some posters to do what they want and take their kids out of school. Which, IMO, is fine until about middle school and then it becomes a problem to catch up.

When I hear parents say they're not capable of teaching elementary school math... that is rather shocking.

This reminded me of a funny story. In our school district there is a notorious math packet that all students must complete in the 6th grade (which is considered elementary school in our district). It's a collection of 100 extremely difficult word problems. A lot of them could be solved fairly easily algebraically, however they haven't been taught algebra at that point, and they have to figure it out using basic elementary school math tools. It's basically all about setting them up for 7th grade algebra or pre-algebra - getting their brains thinking along those lines, if you will. Everyone knows this packet it coming when your child hits the 6th grade, and students and parents alike dread it.

The packet was due right after the Christmas break. We were traveling to TN to visit family and our son brought it with him as he hadn't completely finished it. We were at my brother's house and our son was sitting off in the corner working on his problems. Now, my husband, my brother and myself all have engineering degrees, and have been successful in our careers. At one point, there was a couple of problems that our son just could not solve and he asked for our help. So, the three engineers are sitting at the dining room table going back and forth, arguing, scratching our heads trying to figure out how to work these problems. After about 30 minutes or so we all kind of looked at each other and just cracked up at the complete absurdity of situation. How many engineers does it take to do 6th grade math???? (We did FINALLY figure them out :P).

So don't discount a parent's inability to do elementary school math!! :rotfl2:

I take it you're a homeschooler. If so, you are responsible for teaching elementary math in any way you wish. Parents who send their kids to school do not have that luxury and sometimes it's hard to help your child with math the way they learned it in school. I am NO MATH DUMMY and took 3 semesters of Calculus plus two more with Calc as a prerequisite in college. I found it difficult to sit down and help my DD learn multiplication/division because of the way she was being taught in school was much different than the way I learned it 30 years prior. I had to learn their methods first and then translate my methods in order to help her.

FWIW, I agree with other posters who say that Disney is not educational. I believe that is simply an excuse for some posters to do what they want and take their kids out of school. Which, IMO, is fine until about middle school and then it becomes a problem to catch up.
Your post reminds me of Common Core math and all the times it went viral because of being difficult for parents to understand much less attempt to help their kids.

All I have to hope for is that my husband and I can at least attempt to understand what our future children will be taught because I know that there are things that aren't the same as it was when we were in school.

We are new Texans and have recently heard about some pretty strict attendance policies here. Do any of you take kids out of school for more than 3 days at a time for cruise vacations? Or any vacations? It’s A LOT more expensive at the designated breaks. And so crowded! Any advice or just welcome to TX and suck it up!:rotfl2:
I haven't bothered to read the 8 pages of posts; however, IMHO, only bad parents take their kids out of school (past elementary school, take them out all you want in elementary school) for cruises. Just my 2¢. Consider this your unsolicited parental advice for today.

MUN

People pay thousands of dollars to cruise on Disney. I'm going to assume that people that cruise on Dcl have reached a level of success and know what it takes to be successful. I'm also going to assume the posters on this board want their child to be successful and know whats best for their child and their family. Everyday I'm impressed with the people I post with on this board.

I can teach common core and I can teach old school. I don't like common core math, but I've taken the time to figure it out.

I also believe experiences are as important as sitting in a classroom. Anyone that says the Caribbean isn't educational needs to go back and read a history book...or do they not teach history in school anymore? I think a trip anywhere can be as educational as you want to make it. This is how homeschoolers think and this is why we have chosen the path that we have. We teach outside the box....which is a totally different then how most people approach education. I didn't realize how much different until reading some of the posts. I learn something new everyday.

People pay thousands of dollars to cruise on Disney. I'm going to assume that people that cruise on Dcl have reached a level of success and know what it takes to be successful. I'm also going to assume the posters on this board want their child to be successful and know whats best for their child and their family. Everyday I'm impressed with the people I post with on this board.

I can teach common core and I can teach old school. I don't like common core math, but I've taken the time to figure it out.

I also believe experiences are as important as sitting in a classroom. Anyone that says the Caribbean isn't educational needs to go back and read a history book...or do they not teach history in school anymore? I think a trip anywhere can be as educational as you want to make it. This is how homeschoolers think and this is why we have chosen the path that we have. We teach outside the box....which is a totally different then how most people approach education. I didn't realize how much different until reading some of the posts. I learn something new everyday.
There are a lot of bad parents out there who are very successful. Don't assume that monetary means equals good parenting skills.

There's a lot of bad parents out there who are very successful. Don't assume that monetary means equals good parents.
I always give people the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise. I have no reason to label anyone on this board as a bad parent. I would never do that anyway. I'll let you determine who's a good parent and who's not.

I would venture to say that the Caribbean is just as educational during school breaks.

I'm going to assume that people that cruise on Dcl have reached a level of success and know what it takes to be successful.
I'm so glad you clarified to me that money equated success.

I didn't realize how much different until reading some of the posts.
I'm certain you knew..seems that way based off your previous comments.

Your post reminds me of Common Core math and all the times it went viral because of being difficult for parents to understand much less attempt to help their kids.

All I have to hope for is that my husband and I can at least attempt to understand what our future children will be taught because I know that there are things that aren't the same as it was when we were in school.
I think it was Common Core or a variant :). It was OK. My DD learned math and I learned whatever the heck it was to help her out. It must have worked because she just took Calculus as a freshman in college and did fine :). The problem wasn't that I didn't know "elementary math" enough to teach my DD. I didn't know the method well enough right out of the gate and kids were tested on the methodology used to get the correct answer as much as the answer itself.

I'm so glad you clarified to me that money equated success.

I'm certain you knew..seems that way based off your previous comments.
Oh come on really. If your taking DCL cruises your obviously a working productive person. Anybody that works pays their bill and has a little money left over for a DCL cruise in my opinion is doing ok. I do equate money with financial sucess what else would you equate it with. I give posters on this board a complement and sure enough someone will find a way to take it as an insult.
Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of great parents that can't afford a DCL cruise. Were not talking about those parents were on a Disney cruise line board so I take that into consideration.

Last edited:
Oh come on really. If your taking DCL cruises your obviously a working productive person. Anybody that works pays their bill and has a little money left over for a DCL cruise in my opinion is doing ok. I do equate money with financial sucess what else would you equate it with. I give posters on this board a complement and sure enough someone will find a way to take it as an insult.
Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of great parents that can't afford a DCL cruise. Were not talking about those parents were on a Disney cruise line board so I take that into consideration.

Having money doesn't mean that someone's a productive member of society.

it's *you're not your and before it was *their not there.

Having money doesn't mean that someone's a productive member of society.
You're right but it's not like there's a bunch of crack heads posting on here. I'm going to give them the benefit the doubt and assume the are intelligent enough to determine whats right for thier kids.
it's *you're not your and before it was *their not there.
Sorry I'm on my phone. It is against rules to correct peoples grammar btw.

I'm going to check out this thread. It's getting a little too nasty for me. Anyway everyone enjoy your upcoming cruise. Enjoy the time with your kids. They are precious, and they grow up way too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter