Testing the RCCL waters ....

mdurette

DIS Veteran
Hello All:
Looking for your opinion on what class of class you would recommend for the move from DCL to RCCL.

DH and I always cruised RCCL prior to having our daughter and liked it. Switched over to DCL and are now looking to make the switch back and test RCCL with DD10.

DD has been brainwashed and thinks nothing in the world can be better than DCL! She may be correct, but she is willing to test the waters and see if RCCL can come at least close.

My goal is to find a ship that will match up to her DCL expectations. There are so many choices with RCCL.....which would you suggest for a Caribbean destination. I'm worried about taking her on one of their cheaper classes and she rules them out forever :)

Go with Oasis class ships. If these are too big then Freedom Class. Don't go any smaller. In fact, depending on when you want to go, Harmony of the Seas will be brand new.

We have done Freedom of the Seas several times and find this to be very similar to the DCL experience.

If you're going for similar size, Freedom is probably good for you. With Oasis class, you are going to be with a tonne of people, so at sea days may feel a bit overwhelming at times, but I'd have to say that it's something you won't know until you experience (i.e. have paid for) it.

Kids programs are top notch though. I think your 10yo will enjoy herself whichever ship you book.

If you're going for similar size, Freedom is probably good for you. With Oasis class, you are going to be with a tonne of people, so at sea days may feel a bit overwhelming at times, but I'd have to say that it's something you won't know until you experience (i.e. have paid for) it.

Kids programs are top notch though. I think your 10yo will enjoy herself whichever ship you book.

Our first cruise when DD was 9/10 was on Oasis- she LOVED it, in fact she can't pick a favourite between Oasis and the Fantasy. We actually found Oasis felt less crowded than the fantasy and I don't think our Fantasy sailing was completely full. She loved the kids club on Oasis and loved staying late

That's what I felt as well, but I've heard others feel it was more crowded, so it's a ymmv thing.

I'd go with Freedom class. So much to do and the kid program is great.

But even little Vision was a lot of fun for us and DS who was 10 for that sailing.

Thanks all for your replies. My long/short story. We had a 4 night on the Dream booked with other families. one family couldn't make it and we all switched to a 3 night on the Dream instead. I then found out that I can't do the 3 night on Dream because of family obligation. I still have my flights into/out of Orlando for the original 4 night and I have been trying to work a cruise around them. (The original 4 night Dream cost twice as much as I was originally paying and I won't do it). I have my eyes on either:
7 night on Oasis, Freedom or Allure
5 night on Independence

At this point I have the freedom to see if the prices for any of the above will drop a bit more and I jump on them. In the end....if it doesn't work out, well I still have Plan B which is just a week in Orlando. Not an issue....but I would really prefer a cruise.

Hello there mdurette! :wave:

Me and My family are in the same position as you...Except we have NEVER been on any other cruise line beside DCL! We are going in June of this year and don't know what to expect at all since it is all new to us! :confused:

Go with Oasis class ships. If these are too big then Freedom Class. Don't go any smaller. In fact, depending on when you want to go, Harmony of the Seas will be brand new.

Totally agree. The Oasis class has DreamWorks, which means meet an greets, parades, ice show and other shows. There is a character breakfast too for a small fee. These ships also have Aqua show, water area, zipline, flowriders, rock wall, and new Harmony will have water slides and non water slide.

Freedom also has DreamWorks for a similar experience but not the aqua shows.

Thanks all with your replies. I have it narrowed down to 2 cruises (DH doesn't want to do a 7 night and I'm trying to fit into flights we already have or can change easily).

Option 1: Brilliance out of Tampa 4 night. Only port is Cozumel.
Pros: Cheapest ($1,500). In/Out of Tampa so works with our existing MCO flights. Still spend 3 nights in Orlando prior to cruise.
Cons: Not the best ship and not a great port.

Option 2: Independence out of Fort Lauderdale 5 night. Ports Labadee and Falmouth
Pros: Better ships, ports we have never been to. Still can spend 3 days in Orlando prior to cruise.
Cons: Need to drive from Orlando to FLL. Cost: About $1,500 more for cruise, airfare, change in car rental.

Personally....I just want to go on a cruise this week as it is my only vacation per year that I truly tune out (no work - just play) But, as mentioned before this would be DD first cruise away from DCL and I want to ensure she has a good time and likes it because the budget person in me is just finding DCL too much and I want to explore other options so we can continue cruising.

Thoughts.....do you think DD would be disappointed with the Brilliance after DCL?

Also 3rd option is to simply not force the whole cruise thing and just hang around Orlando for the week (no parks).

Totally personal opinion, and this is coming from so far myself only being on Disney Magic (with our kids) , Royal's Grandeur of the Seas (with my dad when I was 19 years old) and Royal's Voyager of the Seas (with DH on our honeymoon)...but if you are trying to have something that is a similar experience to Disney I would try and stick with one with DreamWorks. This will give your DD10 characters (assuming she likes Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train your Dragon and Shrek), parades, meet and greets, and other specific shows. There are 5 and 6 night cruises out of Florida on Freedom, Allure, Oasis. When are you looking to travel?

Having said that, it depends what you want and even my experience on the other Royal ships are amazing and still had tons of activities...and of course, they all have swimming pools and different port stops. Looks like Brilliance has a (small) waterslide. Independence has water park area (i.e. splash zone). And Independence has Grease which a 10 year old would enjoy (didn't realize that until I just looked it up). Royal is a family oriented cruise. Just don't try and compare it to Disney (which personally I think it's mostly geared to kids...although some adults do enjoy going without kids). I've heard from others too that the Royal's kids club is great...with lots or organized activities. They even have cruise compasses for the kids.

Maybe someone who has gone on Brilliance or Independence can give you an opinion from personal experience. I'm sure you'd have a great time on these too. I'm biased, but Royal does have fantastic cruises. That's why we'll be doing our 3rd with them in April (with our kids).

Let us know what you decide.

PS - If you check out cruise critic, they can also answer specific questions on the ships you are looking at.

Last edited:
Sure you can't talk him into a 7 night out of PC? The Oasis class ships are so fantastic (DD was turning 10 the year we were on Oasis and she LOVED it) and freedom is great too. Of the two you have listed I'd def say Indi

My friends are celebrating their anniversary on the Anthem of the Seas in March and asked me to join them since I like to cruise. I booked my cruise to join them but I have never been on any of the RCL before. Nevertheless, I like the fact that the Anthem is one of their newer ships and once it finishes it's tour in the US it's heading to Asia for an undetermined amount of time. I believe the Anthem is the ship that has been highlighted on RCL recent commercials.

Hello there mdurette! :wave:

Me and My family are in the same position as you...Except we have NEVER been on any other cruise line beside DCL! We are going in June of this year and don't know what to expect at all since it is all new to us! :confused:
I noticed another thread that mentioned you are sailing on the Majesty, yes? While all RCCL ships will offer a quality "kid's camp" program, swimming pools and a rock-climbing wall, there won't really be anything on a Sovreign-class ship to particularly delight a youngster, especially compared to DCL. We've sailed those ships several times (with DS when he was little) and really enjoyed them for what they were, but as I'm sure you gleaned from your research, they just do not have the WOW facilities you see splashed all over the RCCL advertising and website.

...Personally....I just want to go on a cruise this week as it is my only vacation per year that I truly tune out (no work - just play) But, as mentioned before this would be DD first cruise away from DCL and I want to ensure she has a good time and likes it because the budget person in me is just finding DCL too much and I want to explore other options so we can continue cruising.

Thoughts.....do you think DD would be disappointed with the Brilliance after DCL?

Also 3rd option is to simply not force the whole cruise thing and just hang around Orlando for the week (no parks).
Bluntly put - yes. If her expectations are of something Disney-like, a Radiance-class ship is the wrong choice. They're really nice, have great passenger-space ratios and offer high-quality dining, entertainment and service but they are not "child-centric" in the way you seem to be looking for. You will find the Oasis or Freedom class ships offer much more that will serve those needs.

Last edited:
We love Brillance and that cruise is great, but I agree that your DD will be disappointed. Go with Independence.

I would go to WDW and reschedule a cruise for next year, when you can go on a Dreamworks cruise (which includes Freedom and Liberty) in addition to bigger ships on RCCL. Or go on the Brilliance with a mindset that this is not going to compare to DCL at all. It's a shorter cruise on a smaller ship. The kids club will still be quite good (at lesat my kids thought so). So, if DD spends a lot of time in the kids club, she might like it just as well. If not, there's not a lot fo do for her. Indy would have ice skating (rock wall and flow rider, which she might be able to try). So, it would have open skate and an ice skating show. Nice promenade with a fun pizza parlor, Johnny Rockets. But, Freedom will also have a Dreamworks parade, characters, usually at least 1 3D Dreamworks movie. I might not spend $1500 extra for only a 5 day cruise vs. going to WDW. I like the Freedom class. But, in your case, I might try the Oasis, etc. if you could convince DH.

We went on Independence this past summer and my kids loved it. In fact I just booked the 5 day to Jamaica and Labadee for next February. My 10yo loved the kids club. She never wanted to leave. I didn't plan on having her stay late at night when you have to pay but she begged to stay almost every night. I was worried about going on Indy after Freedom because they don't have characters or the 3D theater, but the kids couldn't care less. There was always something for them to do.

I also looked at Briliance, but for the week we're going Brilliance is a 5 day and it's more than IOS. And truthfully I think my kids might be a bit bored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter