Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

I've been on hiatus from the boards but I'm all caught up on your TR now. I hate that about your party experience. Boo!

As for shopping, hubby and I are opposite from your family. His vacation is never complete, no matter where we go, until he gets to go shopping. I wont say I hate shopping, but I definitely don't love it. Luckily, he is always satisfied and even happy with the stores inside the parks!

As for shopping, hubby and I are opposite from your family. His vacation is never complete, no matter where we go, until he gets to go shopping. I wont say I hate shopping, but I definitely don't love it. Luckily, he is always satisfied and even happy with the stores inside the parks!
Welcome back!
I actually don't mind Disney shopping in the parks. And once I've gone into the Character Warehouse locations at the outlet malls, I'm done.
I think DW actually enjoys shopping more than Disney. I really think next time I need to drop her at the mal and go to the parks myself!

I hope the next trip I do, the lines have calmed down a little (although I just read an article yesterday that FoP had a 6 hour wait this past holiday weekend). I would like to see the SB queue for all the extra details, especially that Navi floating in the chamber.

Yeah, that's not going to happen for me. It turns it into a $175 ride. No thanks. However, in May, I might try to RD it to see the SB queue area. We'll see what the wait time looks like at 7:30 (or whenever they decide to open the park that day. )

True. I have become more aware of a lot of those details since reading the boards the last couple years. I feel like such a nerd when I mention it to my family. They just go "Oh, OK" and then go on about their day. I'm glad there are others who appreciate it.

Nerd on.

This is what keeps me going back again and again.

Thanks! You know, I really did take some inspiration from you, I wasn't just blowing smoke up your alien swirling saucer. :p
I suspect if I was a better trained photographer, I could have done something with exposure or white balance or those technical things you pros talk about, so the mountain/background wasn't as washed out, but for using the "auto" setting it turned out fairly well. I like the fact that I cut out the crowd, so if you didn't know, you might not think it was a photo from WDW.

That's quite a compliment, Jeff. Thank you. :)

I try hard to cut the crowd out when I set my shot up. Just my own style, but know that others want people in there to add perspective or "story" to the shot. And that's okay, but I"m with you. I want the Disney, without the people.

I read it somewhere on the boards I think. I don't know if exhaling makes the feeling in the pit of your stomach less, or if it just distracts you form the drop, but it seemed to work. I also read that looking down would help, but that would completely ruin the ride photo.

Interesting! I wish there was someway to do that for the spinny rides. The Puke Cups being one example.

You'll have to ride with me. I've done it every trip, I think, and never had more than a splash.
I'm not a fan of getting soaked. But in the August heat I would be OK with it.

We weren't too upset Dinosaur was down. I like the ride, but it's not a must-do.

The kids will want to do this, and I can take it or leave it. Not sure I'll FiP it though.

I was very puzzled by that fact that half the Christmas store was Halloween carp.
We really expected to find a nice stocking or something there. I actually asked a CM about it and he kind of shrugged and said "it's Halloween". I had the sense he was annoyed too.

That's interesting. It surely must've been there when I was in there, but I didn't even notice it. I'll look again in Sept. :)

August 25th – Day 8, Part 2 – One More Cannoli and I’ll Pop

We arrived back at AK just in time for supper. Not long before our trip, they started doing Family Style Dining at Pizzafari and I read a very positive review on Disney Food Blog. Since Italian is one of our main food groups, I made the reservation for it (I think this is the only QS reservation you can make in AK). For those who don’t know, you make an ADR similar to TS and for $19.99 per adult you share a prix fixe menu (the rest of the restaurant operates QS as normal, there is one room set aside for family style dining). We checked in at a booth set up especially for this meal. We then went to the QS counter to pick up our salads and fountain drinks. The girls just had chocolate milk but for my drink I was delighted to get the Mandarin Orange Vodka Lemonade that had impressed me so much at Flame Tree. (I should point out that I had the QS dining plan so alcohol is included, I read that it would not be included if paying OOP). They then directed us to an assigned table in a dedicated room.

upload_2019-3-5_12-12-59.jpeg

The Ceasar salad was as good as any leafy green thing can be (come on, that’s what food eats, people). We didn’t like the Caprese salad at all. Raw tomatoes and balsamic is not our thing.

The next course was delivered to our table quickly. We got three entrees – Baked Ziti, Fettucine Alfredo with Chicken, and Pepperoni Pizza. This was surprisingly good!

upload_2019-3-5_12-14-13.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_12-14-26.jpeg

I know what you’re thinking - “he’s impressed by that cardboard garbage they claim to be pizza at Pizzafari”? But hear me out – this was absolutely not the same pizza. Although not quite Via Napoli, the pizza had a thinner crust and some charring. I can’t say it was wood-fired, but it was pretty darn close. Outside of Via Napoli, it’s the best pizza I’ve had in WDW. (To be clear, the regular QS pizza at Pizzafari is still the same generic stuff you get at every other QS place, as far as I know.) The fettucine alfredo was good too. The baked ziti was OK, but my least favourite of the three, in part because it could have been warmer. The four of us were stuffed and couldn’t get through it all.

Then there was the third course, cannoli (you’ll see it in the above picture). I think the girls had one. I had a few. They were tasty, perhaps not the best in in the world, but good enough. I really wanted to eat more cannoli, but one more and I think I would have popped. Exploding helicopters may be cool, but an exploding DISDad would ruin a Trip Report.

Was this the best meal of the trip? No (that was Via Napoli). Was it the best QS meal of the trip….ummm….no, I think that was Flame Tree BBQ. But was it the most surprising meal of the trip…YES! I was really surprised how much we enjoyed this. However, I have a big caveat here. This is a very good use of a QS dining credit for the value ($19.99), even better if you have free dining like I did. BUT if I had paid OOP at $20 bucks a head, I think I would have been PO’d by the amount of wasted food. It was just too much. OK, so now you know more than you ever needed to about Family Style Dining at Pizzafari.

I had eaten so much at Pizzafari that walking out of the restaurant was actually painful, but that’s my own gluttony and stupidity (and also in part how I gained 6 pounds on this trip). Fortunately I was not about to ride Expedition Everest. The main reason we had ended up at AK tonight was to see Rivers of Light, which was new for us. We got decent seats about 20 minutes before the show, but I don’t think this is one where you need to show up an hour before and get close to the water.

upload_2019-3-5_12-18-24.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_12-18-35.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_12-18-46.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_12-18-58.jpeg

Rivers of Light was.....there. It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t particularly good. It’s a kind of like the boring bit in Illuminations with the globe spinning around, but it goes on for 20 minutes. I am happy to have done ROL. I would do it again if there was minimal waiting and my schedule allowed. But I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

After the show, Tish decided to head back to the resort since her feet just weren’t doing that well, and if I’m being honest, everybody was a little run down after our 8th day. Katie went back with her. Brianna and I still had our anytime FP from earlier in the day when Dinosaur had broken down. But it was running again now, so we went for a spin on the time rover. I can’t say Dinosaur is my favourite ride, but I always ride it once a trip and it’s a bit of fun.

upload_2019-3-5_12-20-11.jpeg

We were both pretty tired at this point. I did think about going into to Pandora to see it at night – and I regret now that I didn’t – but we just wanted to get back to the resort for some rest. Tomorrow would be our last full day in the parks.

Answers to last questions:

1. We have a supper reservation. BUT it is not for a table service restaurant. Where are we eating? (there’s only one possible answer folks, google if you have to) Pizzafari
2. We return to AK today for one other thing at night that we haven’t done. What is it? Rivers of Light
3. Do any of us ride any attraction tonight? (just yes or no, but bonus points if you want to guess an attraction) Yes (bonus points if you guessed Dinosaur)

Next Update Questions for Fun:

1. We attempt rope drop at Epcot. Did we arrive at Epcot before rope drop this time?

2. I get a coveted paper Anytime FastPass. For which Epcot attraction do we use it?

3. We return to Disney Springs. By what mode of transport do we arrive there – car, bus, boat?

Last edited:

I have heard good things as well abut the Pizzafari meal, great use of a QS credit, for us it would be a huge waste. Small eaters and no dining plan, haha!

I liked RoL but agree totally, not something I would go out of my way for!

Glad you got to ride Dinosaur, love this ride:thumbsup2

For the questions I say
1. Yes, you make RD, I’m very optimistic :rotfl:
2. Test Track
3. Boat sounds illogical with your location and resort but I am picking it, maybe you hit FQ before hand?

Boat sounds illogical with your location and resort but I am picking it, maybe you hit FQ before hand?
Logic does not always come into play on my trips :p

Not sure how I missed this TR earlier -- can't read now since work is crazy busy, but I'll check it out hopefully tonight when I get home!
No problem. I've been a bit slow getting it out, but it's nearing the end. Nice to have you along anyway!

Since Italian is one of our main food groups, I made the reservation for it (I think this is the only QS reservation you can make in AK).

Cool. I had no idea that was even a thing.

The Ceasar salad was as good as any leafy green thing can be (come on, that’s what food eats, people).

::yes::

I know what you’re thinking - “he’s impressed by that cardboard garbage they claim to be pizza at Pizzafari”? But hear me out – this was absolutely not the same pizza.

Well, I'm glad to hear it! Otherwise I'd be worried about you.

I really wanted to eat more cannoli, but one more and I think I would have popped. Exploding helicopters may be cool, but an exploding DISDad would ruin a Trip Report.

Leave the helicopter. Take the cannoli.

Was it the best QS meal of the trip….ummm….no, I think that was Flame Tree BBQ.

Well, of course.

But was it the most surprising meal of the trip…YES!

:thumbsup2

OK, so now you know more than you ever needed to about Family Style Dining at Pizzafari.

Well, i knew nothing about it going in, so it all worked out.

Rivers of light was…there.

So is my appendix.

It’s a kind of like the boring bit in Illuminations with the globe spinning around, but it goes on for 20 minutes.

Wow...that is not a ringing endorsement at all.

I can’t say Dinosaur is my favourite ride, but I always ride it once a trip and it’s a bit of fun.

I enjoy it for what it is.

I did think about going into to Pandora to see it at night – and I regret now that I didn’t – but we just wanted to get back to the resort for some rest.

Don't worry, there's nothing to see there. I think it's pitch black, actually.

1. We attempt rope drop at Epcot. Did we arrive at Epcot before rope drop this time?

Not with everyone's feet hurting.

2. I get a coveted paper Anytime FastPass. For which Epcot attraction do we use it?

I hope it's Test Track, but I fear it's Journey Into (Lack Of) Imagination.

3. We return to Disney Springs. By what mode of transport do we arrive there – car, bus, boat?

Boat. Because what the heck.

I think I kissed something somewhere along the lines so I'll go back and catch up! But for now.....

Interesting review of the Pizzafari meal! Yours is the first I've seen. The kids like the food there normally so they'd probably like this, too

Rivers of light was…there
:laughing: Perfectly said. We've seen it once and then have stopped on the bridge to watch a few minutes here and there; kids have never seen more than a few minutes. I like to experience everything once so I'm glad we've seen it, some parts are really pretty, but definitely my least favorite nighttime park show.

I had no idea Pizzafari switched to a reservation and family style meal. The food does look pretty decent, especially compared to what used to be served at the restaurant. But wowza, that was a lot of food! My family would never be able to get through all that, so I think you're probably right in it not being worth it if paying OOP.

Although...my husband would've brought a bag and taken all those cannolis with him. :rotfl2:Those are one of his favorite desserts.

Sorry Rivers of Light didn't live up to the other nighttime shows offered at Disney. At least it's one more thing you can cross of your Disney bucket list and say you've done.

Cool. I had no idea that was even a thing.
Yes, it was fairly new in August, I'm not sure it was even around when you went in July. I believe they still do it.

Wow...that is not a ringing endorsement at all.
Nope. I love Illuminations but the bit in the middle with the spinning globe get s a bit boring. Rivers of Light was maybe not quite as boring as that, but not far off in my opinion. There are some pretty scenes with the colours and fountains. But not worth any significant effort to see it.

Don't worry, there's nothing to see there. I think it's pitch black, actually.
Yeah, I know, I know. Well, at least something to put on my list for my next trip in 5 years.

Interesting review of the Pizzafari meal! Yours is the first I've seen. The kids like the food there normally so they'd probably like this, too
It really was good. But just be wary of the price if you're paying OOOP. We are somewhat big eaters but we only got half way through the amount of food. I didn't mind since I have the (free) QS dining plan, but I don't think I would pay for it because of the wasted food.

I had no idea Pizzafari switched to a reservation and family style meal.
They haven't switched the entire restaurant. I should have mentioned it. They only do Family Style dining in the evening and just use one room for it. The rest of the restaurant operates normally as a QS - but has the ordinary cardboard pizza, not like the improved stuff they had for Family Style. I don't know why they can't make that improvement with all their pizza.

So, were we successful in meeting every princess?
If you're doing character meals, then that should make it quite a bit easier. So I say yes!

How did we find it?

I'm guessing the QS meal plan starts to get old after 2 or 3 days. There's only so much QS food you can eat.

Would I do it again?

Only if free.

We also go to MNSSHP. It’s our third one (2010, 2014, 2018). How did we find this year? Would I do it again?

Nope -- too crowded.

IT’S BEEN FOUR YEARS PEOPLE!

FlippantCompassionateAsianporcupine-size_restricted.gif

1. My trip report title is a play on a movie title. Which one?

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

2. Do we meet and get the autograph of every official Disney princess this trip? (OK, you will have to wait a while for that answer)

yes

3. In what building is our room located at All-Star Music?

I know nothing about All-Star Music -- so I can't even make a guess.

Who really wants to do that on vacation anyway? There’s enough of that at home.

I always end up doing laundry while at Disney. I sweat way too much and don't want to put my family through that. hahaha

Once in Toronto, we had a 6 hour layover

That is a long layover.

When I did this years ago, you used to have to collect your bags for customs. They have improved the process since and now you don’t see your bags again until Orlando, a much better set up.

I've flown out of Montreal several times for work over the last 4 years, and it is so nice to check-in, drop your bag off, go through security, and THEN go through Customs for the US while still in Canada. Makes arrival in the US so much easier.

I was only in the airport at this point, but I was still excited – I was finally back in Orlando!

I love that feeling of arrival at MCO. So much positive energy!

After nearly an hour (!!) they finally said they were moving us to another belt – this one had broken down.

And there goes the positive energy!

1. Do we make rope drop at Magic Kingdom?

2. I had not been to Magic Kingdom in four years. What ride did we absolutely have to do first?

3. We hop to Hollywood Studios in the evening. I see something pink that had me running up Hollywood Boulevard. Any idea what or who that could be?

1. Yes.
2. If you rope dropped, then you likely did PP or 7DMT. I'm going with 7DMT.
3. I can't think of anything pink in that park...other than possibly projections for the fireworks show?

If you're doing character meals, then that should make it quite a bit easier. So I say yes!
From what I remember, I think you are the only person to say "yes" to that question!
Interesting to note though that we didn't do any character meals this trip, partly to cut cost, and because we've done several before. But we also had 9 park days to work with.
I'll let you read along, but the answer to the question is getting close.

I'm guessing the QS meal plan starts to get old after 2 or 3 days. There's only so much QS food you can eat.
We did a fairly good job of getting different QS meals. But also learned that both QS lunch and supper was too much for us. Although a bad choice if you paid for the dining plan, we ended up getting breakfast most days. We also mixed in a few TS meals. Not smart cost wise, but you're right, there is only so much QS you can eat. One of many reasons I don't like the dining plan, I don't want all QS nor do I need all TS.

Only if free.
Yep :thumbsup2

Nope -- too crowded.
I won't spoil it for you. But you may be on the right track...

I always end up doing laundry while at Disney. I sweat way too much and don't want to put my family through that. hahaha
It's definitely not pretty having over a week's worth of dirty laundry to deal with at home especially after the August heat!

they started doing Family Style Dining at Pizzafari and I read a very positive review on Disney Food Blog.

Both parts of that sentence surprises me.

(I think this is the only QS reservation you can make in AK)

I'm not sure if I know of any QS that you can make an ADR. At least not off the top of my head.

for my drink I was delighted to get the Mandarin Orange Vodka Lemonade that had impressed me so much at Flame Tree.

Gotta remember to try this. (Just checked... it's on my list already from the last time you mentioned it probably.)

The Ceasar salad was as good as any leafy green thing can be (come on, that’s what food eats, people).

:laughing:

We didn’t like the Caprese salad at all. Raw tomatoes and balsamic is not our thing.

But I do. :)

We got three entrees – Baked Ziti, Fettucine Alfredo with Chicken, and Pepperoni Pizza. This was surprisingly good!

Now that's good to hear! I've eaten there before (about 10 years ago) and... meh.

Katie looks so excited for her food!!!!!!!

I know what you’re thinking - “he’s impressed by that cardboard garbage they claim to be pizza at Pizzafari”? But hear me out – this was absolutely not the same pizza. Although not quite Via Napoli, the pizza had a thinner crust and some charring. I can’t say it was wood-fired, but it was pretty darn close. Outside of Via Napoli, it’s the best pizza I’ve had in WDW.

Well, I'll be darned! Kinda thinking this might be an option for DD22 and I.

Then there was the third course, cannoli (you’ll see it in the above picture). I think the girls had one. I had a few. They were tasty, perhaps not the best in in the world, but good enough.

mmmm.... dessert.

Exploding helicopters may be cool, but an exploding DISDad would ruin a Trip Report.

I dunno... with pictures? Just might elevate it to the next level.

OK, so now you know more than you ever needed to about Family Style Dining at Pizzafari.

And... thanks!

I had eaten so much at Pizzafari that walking out of the restaurant was actually painful

Then you did it right.

(and also in part how I gained 6 pounds on this trip).

That's it?

Eat more pizza and cannoli.

I don’t think this is one where you need to show up an hour before and get close to the water.

No. You don't.

Nice shot!
Actually, all your ROL shots are really good.

Rivers of light was…there.

That's about the best review I've read about it.

It’s a kind of like the boring bit in Illuminations with the globe spinning around, but it goes on for 20 minutes.

:laughing: Very well said!

I can’t say Dinosaur is my favourite ride, but I always ride it once a trip and it’s a bit of fun.

::yes:: I won't wait long for it... but I will ride it.

I did think about going into to Pandora to see it at night – and I regret now that I didn’t

Yeah... if a newbie came up to me and said "I can only see one. ROL or Pandora at night..."
I know which one I'd recommend. And it ain't ROL.

1. Nope. Day 9 an the natives revolt.
2. Soarin'
3. I'll go with boat. I've done it and really enjoyed it.

After our stroll up Main Street, it was time to get to the rides! There was so much I wanted to do, so of course our first ride had to be…(drum roll please)…it’s a small world. I bet you didn’t see that one coming! I should probably explain.

Never saw that one coming.

I mean, see the cute look on her face when she saw the castle for the first time?

So cute! I think it's getting dusty in my office.

Well, Brianna being 8 years old and having no idea what a ride was, got a little bit freaked out by it and spent most of the ride with her head buried in her hands.

I see her -- but where are you?

(Wow…I miss the old Test Track. I also miss not having grey hair, but time does that to you)

OHHHH. THERE you are! :rotfl:

We needed a roller coaster. It was still fairly early, so we checked the wait time for 7DMT. It was posted at 45 minutes, although my Touring Plans app was saying 35. We thought it was reasonable enough so tried it and 40 minutes later we were inside the vault and enjoying our mine tour.

I was so close to being right!

She hated roller coasters when she was younger and only started going on 7DMT on our last trip. But she’s getting better at them.

My oldest is a pro.

IMG_5697.JPG

We enjoyed them, and FYI a really good use of a snack credit.

Wait -- when did they become a snack credit?

This was probably the best character interaction we had the whole trip.

A&D are always our favorite interactions too. They have a warm spot in my heart b/c on our first trip, my oldest DD was so shy and wouldn't interact with them, but Anastasia REFUSED to take no for an answer and successfully got DD to open up and interact. It still is one of our favorite memories.

We felt like another classic Disney ride was in order for our first day, so we took flight with Dumbo. It’s not the most exciting ride, but you just have to do it, and I enjoy it well enough.

This is both of my daughters' first ride...although kat did it in disneyland and Chelsea rode at WDW.

Tish and I cooled down and shared a slush (technically Goofy’s Glaciers) in Big Top Souvenirs.

I've taken 8 or 9 trips in the last 3 years, and I've NEVER been in this thing.

1. We go swimming back at All-Star Music, in the guitar pool. Is this the only pool we swim in that afternoon?

2. We visit Toy Story Land for the first time. We have a fast pass for one ride – which one?

3. We also see Fantasmic! Is it the first show or second show?

1. No
2. I would say slinky dog -- but I don't think you would have been able to get a day of FP for it...so I'll go with TSMM.
3. Second show.

My hot dog was fine, but it was huge.

giphy.gif

I noted that the temperature on the dash said 114°F.

That's only 45.6 where you're from.

Getting mildly flustered, I rolled up to the parking booth and told the attendant “I’m staying at Hollywood Studios”. Without batting an eyelash the guy said “Wow, you got a really good deal”. Of course what I meant to say was “I’m staying at All-Star Music”, hoping that would be the magic words to let me park for free. As I discovered, all they need to do is scan your Magicband with their little thingamabob and you’re good to go.

What is it with you Canadians and booth attendants? Is it b/c they're not riding horses? What do you say @pkondz ?

This is where I started to see our dining plan was not working for us. My idea of a light breakfast and QS lunch and supper had not worked out today. It’s just too much food for us, especially the girls.

With the QS plan, you get 8 credits per day -- so if you do it in the future, you could use 2/3/3 for breakfast/lunch/dinner and not have to pay anything out of pocket. Between that and 8 snacks to split up during the day, it would still be plenty.

The show was fine. I do enjoy the banter of the story tellers.

From the looks of your picture -- it looks like you got the understudies. The main two people crack me up.

1. Next day is Photopass Day so there are rare characters at each park. We start our day at Animal Kingdom. Who is the special character you can meet at AK? Do we meet that character?

2. We have lunch in the park before taking our afternoon break at the resort. Between the four of us, we get lunch at two places - at a QS restaurant and a food truck. What are they?

3. We visit Pandora and have a FP. For what ride? (I’m giving you a 50/50 chance here folks)

1. Neverhead of photopass day. [going to look it up on google -- now back] Kevin from UP!?
2. Assuming you're trying to max out value -- I say you get the chicken/ribs at Flame Tree and the kids end up getting the mac&cheese cart nearby.
3. Doubt you got FOP on your second day -- so NRJ.

BOG for breakfast and lunch have ADRs and are QS. So there's at least one other in the parks.

Right! I always forget BOG is QS since it doesn't feel like one... if that makes sense.

What is it with you Canadians and booth attendants? Is it b/c they're not riding horses? What do you say @pkondz ?

Horses, dog sleds or snowmobiles. Without at least one of those, we're lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter