Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

August 21st – Day 4 – The day that must not be named

There comes a day in every trip that I dread. A day that makes me question whether I should get out of bed in the morning. A day that could strike fear in to the heart of any man – or at least DISDad. That day – dare I name it? – is SHOPPING DAY.

This day is a necessary evil that I know has to happen. I’m on a trip with three ladies who enjoy their shopping. They put up with my Disney obsession, and do a few things they probably wouldn’t if it wasn’t for me, so I need to return the favour. But before that happens, we’re still going to do at least some of the day at Disney.

It’s an early rise to get to EMH at Hollywood Studios (i.e. one of those things the girls do because of me). I believe we had breakfast at the ASMu food court, because we’ve realized that’s the only thing that will really work for us. Today we actually make it into Toy Story Land at 7:40am, a full 20 minutes before EMH finished. We even had time to stop for a picture on the way. The DISDads were well represented this morning with my choice of t-shirt.

upload_2018-11-22_20-32-0.jpeg

Unfortunately, the SB line for Slinky Dog was already at 60 minutes. But we had all enjoyed it so much that we decided to do it anyway. Even this early in the morning, the August heat was already in full force, and the sun blazes directly into that queue. The wait turned out to be about 40 minutes, so it wasn’t too bad after all. At least Slinky is worth the wait. We even got all of our ride pictures this morning – bonus!

upload_2018-11-22_20-32-35.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_20-33-53.jpeg

Since we also enjoyed the Alien Swirling Saucers more than we expected (Is it AS2? Is that what we’re calling it? Man, there’s no fun around here) and since the SB time was not long (maybe 15 minutes), we jumped on that. I’m not saying this ride is at the top of my list, but it really was surprisingly fun.

upload_2018-11-22_20-34-34.jpeg

Our first FP of the day was up next – Midway Mania. Although it was our 2nd time this trip doing it, I really enjoy it. It helps that I get a bit competitive and I don’t try to go easy on whoever is sitting next to me. In this case it was Katie, and she’s been improving on this ride over time. I usually get about the same, but still got the highest in the car and that’s what matters :p

upload_2018-11-22_20-35-30.jpeg

Katie wanted to try meeting some of the characters, so we got in line for Woody & Jessie. Tish and Brianna really weren’t in the mood to stand in the sun, so they decided to go to Hollywood and Sunset to do some shopping and we’d meet up later. Not long after, Katie and I wondered if we should have done the same. The line was barely moving. I figured it would be about an hour, so we bailed. We noticed that Buzz’s line was shorter, so we got in there. Definitely a better choice since we met him in about 20 minutes.

upload_2018-11-22_20-37-21.jpeg

I texted Tish to find out where they were. Turns out they had stopped for Starbucks and hadn’t gone shopping yet, so we had some more time to kill. Photopass? Sure, why not.

upload_2018-11-22_20-38-0.jpeg

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

Last edited:
August 21st – Day 4 - Continued...

Given the extra time, I now had an opportunity to correct a wrong. Something that had been on my “to-do” list for years. Something I am embarrassed to admit I had never done before – One Man’s Dream. My mistake in the past had been describing it as a Walt Disney museum, a word that makes the girls run the other way as fast as the word “shopping” for me. I figured they wouldn’t miss it, and Katie was a captive audience at this point. I also had a “secret mission” to accomplish, one that I found out from a fellow DISDad. I don’t think it’s well known, so I will let you all in on the secret now. You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did. The CM gave us a list of three questions (a different list for each of us). The answers to the questions were in the displays throughout. I liked seeing Walt’s school desk and his office, and the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge model was interesting.I still think the old plush toys are a bit scary looking.

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-7.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-20.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-32.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-45.jpeg

Once we answered our questions, we presented them to the CM near the theatre at the back. We got to sign a guest book and were given certificates. It’s a nice little souvenir. The best part – it was free. 0$. How often does that happen?

upload_2018-11-22_20-44-14.jpeg

By now, Tish and Brianna were nearly – but not quite – finished shopping (they were really just getting warmed up for later in the day), so Katie and I decided to get some snacks at Trolley Car Café. I needed to try an old favourite – the carrot cake cookie. I read it had changed so I was a bit apprehensive, but it was still good, just slightly thicker cake and thinner frosting. Katie got a brownie and she liked it.

upload_2018-11-22_20-44-45.jpeg

It was mid-morning and we weren’t planning on leaving until lunch time. Brianna wanted to see Beauty and the Beast on Stage but Katie wasn’t really feeling it. I’m pretty indifferent to that show. It’s fine and if someone else wants to see it, I’ll go along, but I easily skip it. Since Katie wasn’t that interested, I suggested we could use one of our “throw away” FP I had made for Star Tours. I suspected she might not since we had done it once, but I was pleasantly surprised when she agreed. So we all parted ways again. The FP really wasn’t necessary since there was no wait at all, either FP or SB. But I was glad we did it because we got two scenes I had never done before – Kashyyyk (wookie planet) and Corusant. I know, I can hear you rolling yours eyes now. But for a Star wars geek like me, it was exciting.

I also had to check out the future entrance of Galaxy’s Edge.

upload_2018-11-22_20-45-23.jpeg

We all met again for our third FP of the day – Muppetvision. This isn’t a must do for us, but we all enjoy the Muppets and hadn’t seen this on our last trip (so more than 5 years). Again the FP was unnecessary but we scanned our bands anyway. My biggest regret is that I forgot to look for the key under the mat!

After the show we stopped into the “Muppets gift shop” and I put that in quotations because I saw maybe two shirts and the rest was generic stuff. It’s been 4 years since I was last in this store, but what a disappointment. I got a very cool Kermit/Jedi mash up t-shirt last trip that says “Come to the green side”. This time there was nothing like that. Sadly, I’m not sure if The Muppets are going to survive at DHS.

On the way out of the park, I made a FP for Expedition Everest that night – we (at least I) was hoping to finish shopping and get into Animal Kingdom that night (I hadn’t seen Pandora at night or Rivers of Light).

With a heavy heart, I knew it was now time to leave the Disney bubble for the dark side…the outlet mall. I won’t waste any of your time boring you with details. I’ll just mention that it involved both the Vineland and International Drive Premium outlets, more dollars than I care to remember, and a total of 6 hours (yes, that is six, it is not a typo). In the interest of honesty, I will also admit that I was not a fun person to be around. I did try to be positive – or at least not-grumpy – in the beginning. I did try to do a little shopping myself (and bought a nice Mickey polo shirt at the Character Warehouse for $4.99), but let’s face it, I’m an old man, I don’t want or need that much clothes, and most of the men’s clothes out there are made for guys with 6 pack abs. That is not me – I have a different kind of 6 pack belly. In hindsight, I should have just dropped them off and gone back to DHS myself. It would have been the perfect time for me to see Launch Bay with no one complaining about “stupid Star Wars”. Everyone would have been happier that day. Something to take away for next time I guess.

The plan for the evening was to drive back to ASMu, drop the bags, and head to AK. On the drive back, the got darker and darker until the flood gates opened. I have driven in white out blizzards before, and I think this was worse. I could barely see the taillights of the cars in front of me. It took quite a bit longer to get back to the resort, and after that experience we decided that our AK evening wasn’t going to happen. We were all tired, the weather was questionable, and in truth we needed the night off.

One ray of sunshine this night was, well, literally a ray of sunshine. After the rain, there was a beautiful sunset (@Timon if you’re reading, this is the sky we talked about the night you were in AK). I’m sure my pictures can’t do justice to the colours in the sky that night, but it was stunning.

upload_2018-11-22_20-47-20.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_20-47-32.jpeg

Answers to last questions:

1. We’re off to Hollywood Studios again. We have a FP for one of the rides in Toy Story Land. Which ride? Midway Mania

2. I get a snack at the Trolley Car Cafe. What snack? Carrot Cake Cookie

3. There has been something on my “to do” list for a very long time, something I have never done before at DHS. I finally tick this off my list. What is it? One Man’s Dream

Next Update Questions for Fun:

1. We’re back to Epcot. What mode of transport do we use to get there (bus or rental car)?

2. We meet some characters (other than princesses). Which characters?

3. We get snacks at a QS restaurant. Which restaurant?

On the drive back, the got darker and darker until the flood gates opened. I have driven in white out blizzards before, and I think this was worse. I could barely see the taillights of the cars in front of me.

I remember this!!! It was the evening we were driving back from Universal Studios back to the Disney bubble. That was absolutely brutal for driving. Nathan drove, bless him, because I think I would have had a meltdown. I've seen a lot of Florida rain on our past trips, but we'd never driven in anything quite like this.

I started off with an adult beverage, the Sicilian Sunset (vodka, orangecello, orange and pineapple juices over shaved ice). I am pretty sure I got this the last time, but I enjoyed it, plus any drink with a giant snowball in it has to be good.

upload_2018-11-12_20-1-20-jpeg.364719

Sounds great!

The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride.)

upload_2018-11-12_20-4-47-jpeg.364723

Haha, your wife looks like she's having the time of her life!

It was also nice that the wait time was only about 10 minutes, maybe less. The girls were happy with the meet. Elsa was a bit “cold” but I suppose that is her nature. Anna was very bubbly as you would expect, and kept telling Katie that sisters with two braids are better than sisters with one braid

I love how short the wait times are to meet the sisters now, it's a meet and greet I on every trip lately haha. Your girls looked great with their braids!

American Dream slushie (red strawberry slush, white vanilla soft serve, blue raspberry slush)

Yum! I might need to add this to my list for next month....

Great photo!

in a cup because I’m not a big fan of waffle cones

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I think G is a measurement for Gross, and I wasn’t feeling it.

:rotfl:I'm not brave enough to try the orange side either...

You have a beautiful family!

Hahaha, perfect!

Another great photo!

Son of a Beverly!?!

:rotfl2:I love this expression!

There are only two places to get regular normal buttery popcorn in Epcot. At complete opposite ends of the park. Seriously? We’re practically tripping over popcorn carts at Magic Kingdom, but at Epcot you need to pack a lunch before going on the great popcorn trek?

Ok, this entire popcorn story had me laughing out loud! Too funny! I'm glad you were finally able to get Katie her popcorn as you were leaving the park!

There comes a day in every trip that I dread. A day that makes me question whether I should get out of bed in the morning. A day that could strike fear in to the heart of any man – or at least DISDad. That day – dare I name it? – is SHOPPING DAY.

:rotfl2::rotfl:

Since we also enjoyed the Alien Swirling Saucers more than we expected (Is it AS2? Is that what we’re calling it? Man, there’s no fun around here) and since the SB time was not long (maybe 15 minutes), we jumped on that. I’m not saying this ride is at the top of my list, but it really was surprisingly fun.

I haven't been on AS2 yet, but I've heard it's the same as the Mater ride in Disney California Adventure - which isn't my favourite ride, but I giggle like a little girl every time I go on it haha... I'm looking forward to Toy Story Land!

Cute photo prop!

Given the extra time, I now had an opportunity to correct a wrong. Something that had been on my “to-do” list for years. Something I am embarrassed to admit I had never done before – One Man’s Dream.

We finally checked this out on our last trip too, it was great! I had no idea about that certificate you could get, so cool!

Yum!

Glad to hear you survived your day of shopping with the ladies!

Sounds great!
The Sicilian Sunset was good. As I mentioned in comment before, it is a bit strong at first, until the snowball melts a bit.

Yum! I might need to add this to my list for next month....
I tried some, I htought it was good. Especially when everything melts together.

:rotfl2:I love this expression!
It's how the DISDads curse on the boards :p

Ok, this entire popcorn story had me laughing out loud! Too funny! I'm glad you were finally able to get Katie her popcorn as you were leaving the park!
Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. This stuff is hilarious in my head when I write it. I often wonder if anyone else has a laugh :goodvibes

I haven't been on AS2 yet, but I've heard it's the same as the Mater ride in Disney California Adventure - which isn't my favourite ride, but I giggle like a little girl every time I go on it haha... I'm looking forward to Toy Story Land!
I believe it is the same as the Mater ride, although I've never been to DCA :(
I think we were just pleasantly surprised it was as fun as it was - maybe our expectations were a bit low.

We finally checked this out on our last trip too, it was great! I had no idea about that certificate you could get, so cool!
I heard about the certificate on the boards from another DISDad. I felt awkward asking about it because I wasn't sure it was a real thing. But it is! Another DISDad tried it after me and he also got the certificate.

Glad you had a nice morning at DHS. We always go in One Man’s Dream and never knew about the history game, very cool!

I love The Muppets and I agree with you, not sure it will last at DHS with all the changes, I sure hope it does.

Shopping is so fun, I just really don’t understand what you have against it! :rotfl:

I nailed your last questions, let’s see how I do with these.
1. Bus, since rain was so bad prior evening
2. Baymax, Joy and Sadness
3. The Mexican QS

A day that could strike fear in to the heart of any man – or at least DISDad. That day – dare I name it? – is SHOPPING DAY.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You are a brave, brave man! Jason is lucky that I did not get the shopping gene, but unfortunately for us both Casey did!

Since we also enjoyed the Alien Swirling Saucers more than we expected (Is it AS2? Is that what we’re calling it? Man, there’s no fun around here)
No fun at all. They had to make up an entirely new acronym just so we didn't say a completely benign 3 letter word o_O

You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did. The CM gave us a list of three questions (a different list for each of us). T
How fun, I've never heard of this. We did one mans dream once but Casey wasn't a huge fan. But the prospect of a "prize" could turn that.

We got to sign a guest book and were given certificates. It’s a nice little souvenir. The best part – it was free. 0$. How often does that happen?
In Disney, about a half mast never!

Glad to hear you enjoyed this. I loved the old version, but haven't tried the new one yet. Of course that doesn't mean I'm above not complaining about the change though :P

I’ll just mention that it involved both the Vineland and International Drive Premium outlets, more dollars than I care to remember, and a total of 6 hours (yes, that is six, it is not a typo).
6 hours!!!! I don't think I've cumulatively shopped for more than 6 hours in the last year!

The plan for the evening was to drive back to ASMu, drop the bags, and head to AK. On the drive back, the got darker and darker until the flood gates opened.
Oh I remember this rain well. We had a FP for slinky dog and ended up just staying close the the hotel since the flood gates had no intention of closing.

The only benefit of disney rain? The sun set after the rain! Gorgeous!!!!

Haha!!

At least Slinky is worth the wait. We even got all of our ride pictures this morning – bonus!
Great pictures and not too bad of a wait!

but it really was surprisingly fun.
I liked AS2 as well!

Definitely a better choice since we met him in about 20 minutes.
Great picture with Buzz!

You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did. The CM gave us a list of three questions (a different list for each of us). The answers to the questions were in the displays throughout. I liked seeing Walt’s school desk and his office, and the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge model was interesting.I still think the old plush toys are a bit scary looking.
I didn't know about this either!

Katie and I decided to get some snacks at Trolley Car Café. I needed to try an old favourite – the carrot cake cookie.
Love this treat!

In hindsight, I should have just dropped them off and gone back to DHS myself. It would have been the perfect time for me to see Launch Bay with no one complaining about “stupid Star Wars”. Everyone would have been happier that day. Something to take away for next time I guess.
It's always better to do something that makes you happy. :)

One ray of sunshine this night was, well, literally a ray of sunshine. After the rain, there was a beautiful sunset (@Timon if you’re reading, this is the sky we talked about the night you were in AK). I’m sure my pictures can’t do justice to the colours in the sky that night, but it was stunning.
Beautiful pictures!

1. We’re back to Epcot. What mode of transport do we use to get there (bus or rental car)?

1. Bus
2. Character spot for Mickey, Minnie and Goofy.
3. Churros at the Mexico QS

oooohh…

although... the day I normally dread is... leaving day.

I’m on a trip with three ladies who enjoy their shopping.

I'm fortunate that none of mine really enjoy it. Well, DW, yes. DDs.... no.

It’s an early rise to get to EMH at Hollywood Studios (i.e. one of those things the girls do because of me).

I like how you said "because of me" and not "for me".

Today we actually make it into Toy Story Land at 7:40am, a full 20 minutes before EMH finished.

Hey! An improvement.

The DISDads were well represented this morning with my choice of t-shirt.

Nice. I didn't even know we had shirts. Guess that's more on the facebook group. I'm never there. Or rarely.

Unfortunately, the SB line for Slinky Dog was already at 60 minutes. But we had all enjoyed it so much that we decided to do it anyway.

Not bad. It will only get longer, so... good choice.

Even this early in the morning, the August heat was already in full force

Already! Whoa! :faint:

We even got all of our ride pictures this morning – bonus!

It's a Disney miracle!

Since we also enjoyed the Alien Swirling Saucers more than we expected (Is it AS2? Is that what we’re calling it?

I've mostly seen AS2. I've also seen A$$. But never ASS since the DIS will *** that out.

I’m not saying this ride is at the top of my list, but it really was surprisingly fun.

Really? Huh. I've seen video an... it just looked... a lot less fun than fun.

Midway Mania. Although it was our 2nd time this trip doing it, I really enjoy it. It helps that I get a bit competitive and I don’t try to go easy on whoever is sitting next to me.

::yes:: As you should.

I usually get about the same, but still got the highest in the car and that’s what matters :p

:laughing: Atta boy.

they decided to go to Hollywood and Sunset to do some shopping

I call foul! They're going shopping later!

The line was barely moving. I figured it would be about an hour, so we bailed.

Another good call. Maybe it's me, but... max wait time for a character is 5 minutes.

Photopass? Sure, why not.

upload_2018-11-22_20-38-0-jpeg.366514

Hmmm... for a "professional"... that's pretty poor lighting. Shadows right across both your faces.

Something I am embarrassed to admit I had never done before – One Man’s Dream.

I've done it once. Glad I did, but haven't made a habit of going.

My mistake in the past had been describing it as a Walt Disney museum, a word that makes the girls run the other way as fast as the word “shopping” for me.

:laughing:

I also had a “secret mission” to accomplish, one that I found out from a fellow DISDad. I don’t think it’s well known, so I will let you all in on the secret now. You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did.

Cool! I had no idea.

I liked seeing Walt’s school desk

::yes::

The stuff of nightmares.

We got to sign a guest book and were given certificates. It’s a nice little souvenir.

Nice! :)

The best part – it was free. 0$. How often does that happen?

Oh, all the time. Disney is full of freebies. It's an exceptionally cheap vacation.

:rolleyes:

:duck:

Trolley Car Café. I needed to try an old favourite – the carrot cake cookie.

Ah! So that's where they moved it.

I read it had changed so I was a bit apprehensive, but it was still good, just slightly thicker cake and thinner frosting.

Hmmm.... doesn't look like a cookie anymore. More like a muffin with cream cheese in the middle.
How did it compare to the original? You said it was good. As good? Better? Or not as good but still good.

I’m pretty indifferent to that show.

I feel that way with pretty much every show.

I suggested we could use one of our “throw away” FP I had made for Star Tours. I suspected she might not since we had done it once, but I was pleasantly surprised when she agreed.

Nice! Glad she went with you.

But I was glad we did it because we got two scenes I had never done before – Kashyyyk (wookie planet) and Corusant.

I think I've done the wookie planet. Not sure about Corusant.

I know, I can hear you rolling yours eyes now.

How exactly does one "hear" someone rolling their eyes???

I also had to check out the future entrance of Galaxy’s Edge.

Of course.
And... I will avoid it like the plague until the novelty wears off just a bit. Not a fan of crushing crowds.

My biggest regret is that I forgot to look for the key under the mat!

Fail!!!

(I hadn’t seen Pandora at night or Rivers of Light).

Hope you got to at some point. It's... incredible. Pandora... not ROL. That, for me, was "meh".

With a heavy heart, I knew it was now time to leave the Disney bubble for the dark side…the outlet mall.

Noooooooo!!!

and a total of 6 hours (yes, that is six, it is not a typo).

:faint:

My condolences.

I will also admit that I was not a fun person to be around.

Well duh! Six hours! Six!!!

I have a different kind of 6 pack belly.

Me too!!! Yay us! :sad2:

In hindsight, I should have just dropped them off and gone back to DHS myself. It would have been the perfect time for me to see Launch Bay with no one complaining about “stupid Star Wars”.

Yeah, that might've been the better call.

I have driven in white out blizzards before, and I think this was worse. I could barely see the taillights of the cars in front of me.

Ugh. I feel you. That was me, last year. In the dark. Not much fun.

After the rain, there was a beautiful sunset

Beautiful shots!

1. Car
2. Baymax… Pluto... Mexican Donald?
3. Sunshine Seasons

The day that must not be named

dun dun dun....

That day – dare I name it? – is SHOPPING DAY.

aka :music: The most wonderful time of the trip :music:

slightly thicker cake and thinner frosting

no no no - the ratio should be equal parts cake/cookie and frosting.

the outlet mall

new rule - must stay in bubble

most of the men’s clothes out there are made for guys with 6 pack abs. That is not me – I have a different kind of 6 pack belly.

you coul have used those six hours to get a good workout in. :rotfl2::duck:

In hindsight, I should have just dropped them off and gone back to DHS myself.

then who would carry their loot? I have to agree that six hours is over the top. I like to meander through the shops, but I make sure DH is well stocked with booze during the walk (in DS if possible) or at least pop into a location for a cocktail every now and then. I get pretty tired of shopping and an hour or two is usually my max about once a year.

Jeez, I am FINALLY all caught up AGAIN! Forgive my bad trip report reader skills :crazy2:

we decided to forget the idea of doing laundry. Who really wants to do that on vacation anyway? There’s enough of that at home.

Me, me! I would MUCH rather do laundry there than come home to mountains of it! There is nothing better than getting home and just unpacking and putting everything away :P

After nearly an hour (!!) they finally said they were moving us to another belt – this one had broken down. It took another half hour before our bags came out. This was definitely not something I expected, and by now we were starving.

That's crazy, but I guess you never know what kind of travel delays you'll run into.

So now it’s our tradition to ride ISAW as our very first ride, and usually at some point on our last day. I actually don’t mind it and on this morning it felt right.

Great tradition. We love the ride as well ::yes::

The pool has the Three Caballeros in the middle, which has a water spray feature that was inexplicably and sadly turned off during the day and only active early in the morning or late evening. Not sure why. Conserving water in the heat? It was actually the only interesting feature of the pool.

That's to bad and seems set of silly. I wonder why they do this :confused3

I noted that the temperature on the dash said 114°F.

Yikes!

Well, dear readers, perhaps you are as confused as A) my family was, wondering why I took off running and left them in the middle of Hollywood Boulevard and B) poor Meghan was, wondering who this lunatic was running up behind and yelling at her.

That's so cool, especially that it happened by chance!

Oh, I am also required to point out, as per Trip Reporting Guidelines Section 4 Subsection 2.3, that the above pictured flamingo island is a Hidden Mickey. If you did not know this, you’re welcome.

I did NOT know this, so thank you :D

We’ve eaten at The Plaza three times, and although it's not fancy, it's perfectly good comfort food and a reasonable price if paying OOP.

Definitely one of our favorites, and for much the same reasons.

We were seated in the ride vehicle, made it a few inches along the track, and then, stopped. After a few minutes the music even stopped and I was witnessing my first significant ride break down.

How funny!

I had meant to read up on the tips to be a Galactic Hero, but of course forgot.

I actually did read tips before our trip and then re-read them while standing in line, and I STILL couldn't figure it out :goodvibes

We decided to stick around for a while to see what happened, and braved the line at the crowded Ice Cream Parlour. It moved fairly fast, and I enjoyed an All-American sundae while taking shelter by Tomorrowland Terrace.

img_0804-jpg.359645

My mom's favorite :-)

What did I think of my first view of HEA? Fantastic! Do I miss Wishes? Yes. But did I enjoy HEA. Yes. The emotional connection of Wishes is gone, but the HEA projections add to the show. I was definitely glad we waited it out.

I thought I'd miss Wishes, but I kind of love Happily Ever After. And the more I see it, the more I love it .

Katie was a little nervous doing a new roller coaster, but in the end we all loved it. I think the coaster itself is more enjoyable than 7DMT (but not as immersive in theming obviously) and it comes a very close 2nd to my favourite ride, BTMRR.

studio_slinkydogride_20180820_413013644955-jpg.362948

It's so much fun!

I really like the job they did with the Royal Sommerhus (yes, it’s spelled right, I checked). I know that not everyone is happy with the characters infiltrating World Showcase, but this little area felt very authentic to a Norwegian village. It was also nice that the wait time was only about 10 minutes, maybe less. The girls were happy with the meet. Elsa was a bit “cold” but I suppose that is her nature. Anna was very bubbly as you would expect, and kept telling Katie that sisters with two braids are better than sisters with one braid :p

upload_2018-11-12_20-9-31-jpeg.364724

upload_2018-11-12_20-9-53-jpeg.364725

upload_2018-11-12_20-10-21-jpeg.364726

Those are great pictures! Your daughter makes a better Elsa than Elsa :D

It was almost time for our next FastPass – Spaceship Earth. Before you say it – yes, I know you don’t need a FP for Spaceship Earth in the evening. But the thing is, with the silly Epcot tiers (or is it tears? – I kind of understood it until they added Character Spot), once you’ve done Frozen or Soarin’ or Test Track, there isn’t much else.

I agree, EPCOT has very little in the way of "must-do" for us, although you didn't mention our favorite ride there…Soarin'. Don't you go on that!

We did make a quick stop in Club Cool. The best part is that none of the girls know about the Beverly (I am sure I have got them with this on previous trips, but they forget. More fun for me). Of course I told them Beverly was the best one. Of course I made sure to have my phone ready to capture the video. Of course they were suspicious. Of course they did not enjoy it. Of course I would show evidence of this but I am an old man who doesn’t know how to attach a video, so this screen capture from the video of the moment the taste registered with them will have to suffice.

upload_2018-11-12_20-17-36-png.364735

Perfect!

Not having the time nor energy to drag my body to either of those spots at his point, I gave up.

Quite a valiant effort for popcorn :P

We even got all of our ride pictures this morning – bonus!

upload_2018-11-22_20-32-35-jpeg.366509

upload_2018-11-22_20-33-53-jpeg.366510

Cute! I went on SDD five times in October and got NO pictures at all >:(

Something that had been on my “to-do” list for years. Something I am embarrassed to admit I had never done before – One Man’s Dream.

Shame on you!

I will let you all in on the secret now. You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did. The CM gave us a list of three questions (a different list for each of us). The answers to the questions were in the displays throughout. I liked seeing Walt’s school desk and his office, and the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge model was interesting.I still think the old plush toys are a bit scary looking.

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-7-jpeg.366515

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-20-jpeg.366516

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-32-jpeg.366517

upload_2018-11-22_20-43-45-jpeg.366518

Once we answered our questions, we presented them to the CM near the theatre at the back. We got to sign a guest book and were given certificates. It’s a nice little souvenir. The best part – it was free. 0$. How often does that happen?

upload_2018-11-22_20-44-14-jpeg.366519

What?? I had no idea! I love that :P

I’m sure my pictures can’t do justice to the colours in the sky that night, but it was stunning.

upload_2018-11-22_20-47-20-jpeg.366522

upload_2018-11-22_20-47-32-jpeg.366523

Beautiful :D

In the interest of honesty, I will also admit that I was not a fun person to be around. I did try to be positive – or at least not-grumpy – in the beginning. I did try to do a little shopping myself (and bought a nice Mickey polo shirt at the Character Warehouse for $4.99), but let’s face it, I’m an old man, I don’t want or need that much clothes, and most of the men’s clothes out there are made for guys with 6 pack abs. That is not me – I have a different kind of 6 pack belly. In hindsight, I should have just dropped them off and gone back to DHS myself. It would have been the perfect time for me to see Launch Bay with no one complaining about “stupid Star Wars”. Everyone would have been happier that day. Something to take away for next time I guess.

Next time send them with the car or have them Uber there. I'm sure you all would have been happier! My DH actually LIKES shopping, probably more than me, in fact. I think he'd be happy to go poke around the outlet malls but then again, he isn't a huge fan of rides.

I’m not saying this ride is at the top of my list, but it really was surprisingly fun.

I skipped it last time, but with the reports I'm seeing of loads of adults enjoying it, I'm regretting my omission. :( I'd better get a FP for my May trip.

I usually get about the same, but still got the highest in the car and that’s what matters :p

Dang right! Sadly, I suck at this game.

Turns out they had stopped for Starbucks

Ah, the inevitable $ixbucks run.

You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian, which I did. The CM gave us a list of three questions (a different list for each of us). The answers to the questions were in the displays throughout.

WHA...........?!?! How did I not know about this?! Crap! Need to do that too now!

We got to sign a guest book and were given certificates. It’s a nice little souvenir. The best part – it was free. 0$. How often does that happen?

No. Way.

I am SO doing this in May.

It’s been 4 years since I was last in this store, but what a disappointment.

Well, poop. But sadly this is the way of almost every gift shop now. Case in point: Norway. What an abysmal wasteland.

(I hadn’t seen Pandora at night or Rivers of Light).

:scared1:

Something to take away for next time I guess.

There's always that. I have loads still on my list!

After the rain, there was a beautiful sunset

That's certainly an understatement.

1. We’re off to Hollywood Studios again. We have a FP for one of the rides in Toy Story Land. Which ride? Midway Mania

2. I get a snack at the Trolley Car Cafe. What snack? Carrot Cake Cookie

3. There has been something on my “to do” list for a very long time, something I have never done before at DHS. I finally tick this off my list. What is it? One Man’s Dream

Heh, 1/3 ain't bad.

Okay, it stinks. :sad2:

1) Rental

2) Pooh and Co., Beast, or Mary P.

3) Sunshine Seasons

Glad to hear you enjoyed this. I loved the old version, but haven't tried the new one yet. Of course that doesn't mean I'm above not complaining about the change though :P
I definitely preferred the cake to icing ratio of the old version! But the new was still enjoyable.

Oh I remember this rain well. We had a FP for slinky dog and ended up just staying close the the hotel since the flood gates had no intention of closing.
Looking at the bright side, I suppose it was just as well I was dry inside the car during that downpour. I can imagine those out in the open in the parks would have been scrambling for cover.

I didn't know about this either!
It seems like it's little known. I wonder if they will suddenly be flooded with people for it now!

although... the day I normally dread is... leaving day.
Very true. Shopping day is a close second only to leaving day.

Nice. I didn't even know we had shirts. Guess that's more on the facebook group. I'm never there. Or rarely.
Yes, it was on the FB page. It was sometime last year, one of the dads had his shop damaged in a hurricane (he makes shirts, does embroidery). As a way to help him out, he took orders for a couple new designs on shirts. I got a t-shirt and a polo.
If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't do it again - the customs and duty was killer, nearly doubled the price of the shirts.

Really? Huh. I've seen video an... it just looked... a lot less fun than fun.
Agreed. It doesn't look like much fun in a video. And our expectations were low - maybe that's why it was good, just a lot better than we expected. If you like the teacups (I don't, but some do) it's like them on steroids because of the way AS2 whips you around the turns.

Hmmm... for a "professional"... that's pretty poor lighting. Shadows right across both your faces.
Yeah, I noticed that. I often have to wonder how "professional" some of these photographers are.

Another good call. Maybe it's me, but... max wait time for a character is 5 minutes.
I'll do more than 5 minutes, I am personally OK with 30 minutes. But I have waited longer and often been overruled because the girls enjoy character meets and are content to wait much longer.

I've done it once. Glad I did, but haven't made a habit of going.
I really wanted to say I've been to One Man's Dream. But probably won't feel the need to visit every trip.

Ah! So that's where they moved it.
It got moved around a bunch of places. Bizarrely they kept closing every shop it went to. But it's settled in Starbucks for now.

How did it compare to the original? You said it was good. As good? Better? Or not as good but still good.
I much preferred the cake to icing ratio of the original (about half and half). But this cookie was still good, and had I never tried the original, I still would have enjoyed the current one.

How exactly does one "hear" someone rolling their eyes???
Hmmm...good point...I got nothin'

And... I will avoid it like the plague until the novelty wears off just a bit. Not a fan of crushing crowds.
Ditto. As much as I would like to visit Galaxy's Edge, I won't be in a rush to do it. I do the same with movies. I really want to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, but I'll be waiting at least until this weekend or longer to get away form the initial crowds.

Hope you got to at some point. It's... incredible. Pandora... not ROL. That, for me, was "meh".
Well...ROL, yes and I agree it was meh...Pandora sadly, no. Our only night at AK (other than the one that we scrapped on shopping day) was the second last day of the trip and by that time we were too beat to go in there (I use "we" loosely because I would have managed it, the others didn't want to).

Beautiful shots!
They turned out fairly well considering it was just using my phone. I'm sure if I used the DSLR and actually knew about all those settings on the dial, I could have done even better.

2. Baymax… Pluto... Mexican Donald?
Well if you just start naming everybody, you'll get it eventually :p (one of them is right though)

no no no - the ratio should be equal parts cake/cookie and frosting.
Agreed. The original did accomplish that ratio nicely I thought. It's nowhere near that with the new version. but I still enjoyed it. Just not as much.

you coul have used those six hours to get a good workout in. :rotfl2::duck:
:p I suppose I could have...and worked on that "other" kind of 6 pack stomach.

then who would carry their loot?
Ah yes, I should have mentioned I did have some purpose that day as the pack mule. :rotfl2:

Very true. Shopping day is a close second only to leaving day.

Yes, it was on the FB page. It was sometime last year, one of the dads had his shop damaged in a hurricane (he makes shirts, does embroidery). As a way to help him out, he took orders for a couple new designs on shirts. I got a t-shirt and a polo.

Oh! Hadn't heard that. I probably would've done the same.

If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't do it again - the customs and duty was killer, nearly doubled the price of the shirts.

Yeah... I've had that happen. Now, a lot of times, I'll just have stuff delivered to a holding point in a small town just on the other side of the border. It takes an hour to drive there, but I like driving so I actually enjoy it. Usually, when I come back through customs, if the amount is small, say $100 or less, they don't even bother to make me pay duty or anything.

Agreed. It doesn't look like much fun in a video. And our expectations were low - maybe that's why it was good, just a lot better than we expected. If you like the teacups (I don't, but some do) it's like them on steroids because of the way AS2 whips you around the turns.

Huh... Maybe I'll have to rethink it. I don't like teacups, but... hmmm...

Yeah, I noticed that. I often have to wonder how "professional" some of these photographers are.

"Okay, so here's your camera. The settings are all taken care of so don't change them. No, you look through the other end."

I'll do more than 5 minutes, I am personally OK with 30 minutes. But I have waited longer and often been overruled because the girls enjoy character meets and are content to wait much longer.

I get that. I've waited longer for character meets for a TR (otherwise I won't) or would have for the girls. But luckily for me, neither are interested.

Ditto. As much as I would like to visit Galaxy's Edge, I won't be in a rush to do it. I do the same with movies. I really want to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, but I'll be waiting at least until this weekend or longer to get away form the initial crowds.

Well...ROL, yes and I agree it was meh...Pandora sadly, no. Our only night at AK (other than the one that we scrapped on shopping day) was the second last day of the trip and by that time we were too beat to go in there (I use "we" loosely because I would have managed it, the others didn't want to).

Too bad! It's really incredible. Ah well... gives you a reason to go back. :)

They turned out fairly well considering it was just using my phone. I'm sure if I used the DSLR and actually knew about all those settings on the dial, I could have done even better.

Still turned out pretty darn good. :)

Well if you just start naming everybody, you'll get it eventually :p (one of them is right though)

:laughing: I only named three!
I'll remove Pluto, then. Happy?

Sounds like a great, Toy Story filled morning! Nice that you and Katie got some alone time together too.

You are quite the champ for sticking with them through 6 hours of shopping! :rotfl2:

Stinks that you couldn't make it to AK. Great sunset pics though!

1. We’re back to Epcot. What mode of transport do we use to get there (bus or rental car)? - Car

2. We meet some characters (other than princesses). Which characters?- Joy/Sadness, Baymax

3. We get snacks at a QS restaurant. Which restaurant?- The one in Mexico

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter