Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

Oh my gosh I got super behind but I'm all caught up now! :thumbsup2

A 6 hour layover really sucks, but combine that with an hour and a half for luggage, and to say I would have been grumpy would be an understatement! I can totally appreciate looking forward to a dinner at Olive Garden. When taken for what it is, it's a great dinner option!

Hey, after the travel day you had, getting to MK a half hour after rope drop isn't too shabby. Thank you for sharing the memories of your girls on their first trips. So sweet! I love that Small World is your first ride tradition. We tried to do something like that but the most we managed was DS's first ride at both WDW and DL was Haunted Mansion. lol After that it kind of just fell by the wayside unfortunately.

Leaving the parks at lunchtime is a great strategy for those late summer months when the heat is so brutal. We just got back from a week at Universal and found our appetites minimal due to the heat and we were ready to head back to the hotel pool around noon almost every single day. It was just so freaking hot!!! We felt like we were melting.

I really don't like too much driving (I get very sleepy).

I get sleepy as well - especially if driving 'into the sun'. I love the idea of driving anywhere for vacation - of course poor hubs is the one stuck driving.

I'm not using my park time to wash unmentionables. Just turn them inside out and I'm good to go.

Just wear them in the shower to wash and hang to dry. :eek:

the requisite first Photopass picture of the trip in front of the train station.

Lovely photo

I mean, see the cute look on her face when she saw the castle for the first time?

Adorable

Questions:

1. You hit another pool
2. Slinky Dog Dash
3. First

Hi Jeff! I took a break from the DIS after our trip but I'm back now and here! Loving your trip report so far, especially all the throw back pics. Can't wait for more!

In case anyone is wondering, I thought the room was fine. The beds were comfortable, although I'm not a fan of the pure white bedding they have now.
I'm not a fan of all the white either and I miss the old bedding everywhere. I guess I understand why they're doing it though.....................

Not that they weren’t excited, but they tend to enjoy sleeping in.
I hear that! Ricky at least is almost always willing to get up when we're in Disney even though he won't at home; Chris on the other hand, which you probably know lol, doesn't much like to get out of bed ever :laughing:

Soon, alarms went off, showers were had, things were buffed, polished, pruned, primped, primed, crimped, and curled, most of which was done using numerous bottles and utensils that I frankly do not understand.
Love this :rotfl2:

Then, after a long four year wait, we finally left today and entered a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. It had been so long, it honestly felt like a bit of a dream to me. As we started walking up Main Street, I couldn’t help putting my arm around Katie (because she’s my baby and will still put up with that) and taking in that moment.
And I love this, too :love:

I really think it would be better for her to meet at DHS in the Disney Jr. area.
I've never met Elena nor seen her show since my boys were WAY out of Disney Jr. when she debuted, and probably wouldn't have watched it anyway. But what you said makes sense! HS makes more sense.

so we took flight with Dumbo. It’s not the most exciting ride, but you just have to do it, and I enjoy it well enough.
I enjoy Dumbo also although nobody else in the family does. They humor me and will ride it occasionally.

Ladies, I’m not trying to be mean, because you all look fabulous doing your thing, but wow, y’all go through a big production to look the way you do.

Well yeah. But always worth it to look one's best. ;)

img_0757-jpg.353336

Awww!

Finally, we were ready for our Vogue magazine cover shoot…err, I mean our morning at Magic Kingdom.

:lmao:

Would we make rope drop? Nope. We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 8:30am, a half hour after rope drop.

YAY!! I got one right. I figured with so many women, you were gonna be late. I mean really, you didn't stand a chance.

Perfect!!!

Then, after a long four year wait, we finally left today and entered a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. It had been so long, it honestly felt like a bit of a dream to me.

They really need to do something about that bag check.

After our stroll up Main Street, it was time to get to the rides! There was so much I wanted to do, so of course our first ride had to be…(drum roll please)…it’s a small world. I bet you didn’t see that one coming! I should probably explain.

You're right. I'd never had seen that one coming.

(Wow…I miss the old Test Track. I also miss not having grey hair, but time does that to you)
Me too!!!

And me too. :cool:

So now it’s our tradition to ride ISAW as our very first ride, and usually at some point on our last day. I actually don’t mind it and on this morning it felt right. I was back at Disney and we have a great 10 days ahead of us. Plus, I think the drunk hippo is funny and I kind of like to groove to the South Pacific drum beat section.

img_9121-jpg.353342

LOL! The drunk hippo! :laughing:

So much fun!!! Great photo!!1

After all the Princess merriment, we thought a spot of tea was in order. So off to the Tea Cups we went. Katie loves this ride. I am not a fan, but I put up with it, as long as the cup isn’t spun too fast, or else it becomes the Puke Cups (© @Steppesister :)).

You look.... thrilled.

Being so hot, I thought Carousel of Progress would be a nice break,

It's even good if you don't need a break. I love that ride!!!!

1. We go swimming back at All-Star Music, in the guitar pool. Is this the only pool we swim in that afternoon?

2. We visit Toy Story Land for the first time. We have a fast pass for one ride – which one?

3. We also see Fantasmic! Is it the first show or second show?

1. No.

2. SDD

3. 2nd.

2. I had not been to Magic Kingdom in four years. What ride did we absolutely have to do first?
it’s a small world. Nobody guessed that…who would?

Actually...I sort of guessed that. See?!
On to the questions..
1. I don't know you very well, but rope drop is life to me. So, let's hope you made the right choice. I'll go with YES!
2. It's A Small World? Seriously, I would guess 7DMT

Anyway, on to the new questions..

1. Nope (gotta try out all of the pools...duh)
2. This one is tough. I doubt it was Alien Swirling Saucers since you're not a spinning ride fan, but then wasn't sure about SDD since Katie hadn't gotten her roller coaster stomach yet (LOL). I'm gonna go with Slinky anyway
3. Hmm...let's try for 2nd show. You took a midday break, so you should be able to stay in the park late.

Looks like your trip was a blast! CoP and Peoplemover are 2 of my absolute favorites (which is weird since I'm a thrill ride junkie)

I didn’t guess IASW would be your first ride but what a nice tradition with your daughter!
Yes, people aren't exactly running to IASW at rope drop! But I like our tradition and we've kept it going for three trips now.

but almost never to MK. The TTC just makes it too long and complicated.
Yep. Do you know why the TTC exists? As I understand, it was Walt who wanted it this way, so by taking the monorail or ferry, people would feel like they were travelling to another place. I understand that, but I expect Walt didn't envision multiple parks. It makes me a little sad that the TTC is now a hindrance.

Haha oh no! Poor Katie! I'm with her, for sure! I can handle 7DMT...BTMRR...that's about it. :rotfl: I actually had a nightmare the other night that I accidentally got in line for Space Mountain and didn't realize the mistake I'd made until I got to the front...and then they were going to force me to ride it...*shudders* Scary!
She actually enjoys 7DMT. I think it had just been so long, she forgot what to expect. She got much braver with roller coasters this trip. Not Space Mountain brave though! I even get a bit nervous on it because of the darkness.

Hi Jeff! I took a break from the DIS after our trip but I'm back now and here! Loving your trip report so far, especially all the throw back pics. Can't wait for more!
:welcome: Kari, so glad you are back. I was wondering if you got lost somewhere :P But I understand needing a break from time to time. Nice to have you along!

I can totally appreciate looking forward to a dinner at Olive Garden. When taken for what it is, it's a great dinner option!
I am quite sure there a better Italian restaurants in Orlando. But Olive Garden is fine. It's never been bad. (maybe not a review they can use in an ad, but hey, it works)

So sweet! I love that Small World is your first ride tradition. We tried to do something like that but the most we managed was DS's first ride at both WDW and DL was Haunted Mansion. lol After that it kind of just fell by the wayside unfortunately.
We've kept the IASW tradition going for three trips. Part of me wants to give it up and just run to 7DMT at rope drop, but I still get nostalgic about it.

Leaving the parks at lunchtime is a great strategy for those late summer months when the heat is so brutal.
We really needed to take that break. A couple days we didn't and it really saps your energy.

Actually...I sort of guessed that. See?!
Well yeah, sort of. Partial marks? :P

I'm not a fan of all the white either and I miss the old bedding everywhere. I guess I understand why they're doing it though.....................
I thought some rooms/resorts at least had a little runner at the foot of the bed. Even that would be better. But yes, I understand it.

I've never met Elena nor seen her show since my boys were WAY out of Disney Jr. when she debuted, and probably wouldn't have watched it anyway.
I think I've seen a couple Elena shows, or parts of them. During the meet she was talking Brianna and Katie about things form her show and it was one of those "just nod and smile" moments.

Well yeah. But always worth it to look one's best. ;)
I know, that's what they keep telling me when I ask if they're ready yet.

YAY!! I got one right. I figured with so many women, you were gonna be late. I mean really, you didn't stand a chance.
Nope, no chance! Especially with only one sink in the room.

LOL! The drunk hippo! :laughing:
Hehe. I always make sure to take at least one picture of him.

You look.... thrilled.
Yes, I tolerate the puke cups. Of course I also find selfies a bit awkward. I'm not 16, so....

Yes, it's quite the process for us females to get ready!

Great pic in front of the train station!

Sounds like a wonderful morning! Love the pics of the girls with the princesses!

1. No

2. TSMM

3. First

I completely forgot to share pictures of our room at All-Star Music.

This is an almost inexcusable error for a new trip reporter.
You're lucky your writing is excellent, otherwise we'd be leaving in droves.

So now, I give you our room, in it's pure and unspoiled glory right after we checked in

Whoa.... you actually took the photos! Sans suitcases or bric-a-brac! Impressed!

If somebody has the manual lying around can you help a newbie out and send it along? :P

Yes it's posted in the Newbie TR Writers thread.

I'm not a fan of the pure white bedding they have now.

Why? Too... hospital-y?

Excitement woke me early on our first morning.

Which one of your girls is that?

They had been informed the night before that Magic Kingdom opened at 8:00am and I would like to be there for rope drop.

Fair warning. Ice buckets will be used on stragglers.

things were buffed, polished, pruned, primped, primed, crimped, and curled, most of which was done using numerous bottles and utensils that I frankly do not understand.

Nor do I. But I like the results.

Me on the other hand, I showered, ran my fingers through my hair (comb, who needs a comb?), possibly shaved, was dressed and ready to go

Which is why we're no where as pretty as they are.

Katie and I popped over to the Intermission food court during the beatification process

:lmao: I kinda love that typo. Going to the Church of Disney does tend to lend a certain holiness factor to it.

We had a light breakfast of muffins bought at Target the night before, which I figured was the quickest way to get moving for rope drop.

::yes::

My intention was to drive to the parks…except you don’t drive to Magic kingdom, right?

Right. Why drive when you're just going to have to take Disney transpo anyways?

We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 8:30am,

Not too bad.

It had been so long, it honestly felt like a bit of a dream to me.

Of course it is. Don't wake up.

Except of course you do.... when you leave.

Nice shot of you guys, but...… where are your ears???

I have to confess that…well…let’s just say Main Street got a little dusty that morning

Awwww....

so of course our first ride had to be…(drum roll please)…it’s a small world.

What. In. The. Heck?

Wow, that's a great shot! :)

I want to do Test Track after! Well, Brianna being 8 years old and having no idea what a ride was, got a little bit freaked out by it and spent most of the ride with her head buried in her hands.

:laughing: Awww... poor thing.

Bad father. Bad!

I also miss not having grey hair, but time does that to you

<sigh> Yeah.... Although mine's not all grey…. it's just... missing.

So now it’s our tradition to ride ISAW as our very first ride

Okay. That's a very valid reason. Horrified confusion retracted.

Plus, I think the drunk hippo is funny

:lmao: Never thought of that!

Oh dear…over 1100 words and I’ve only told you about one ride…is anyone still there?

nope

It was posted at 45 minutes, although my Touring Plans app was saying 35. We thought it was reasonable enough so tried it and 40 minutes later we

So take the Disney app, add the Touring Plans app and divide by two. Gotcha.

We shared two fresh fruit and Nutella waffles

Still need to try that.

1 of 11 √

Wait... is that the square route sign? More math? This TR is getting complicated.

I can't figure out which one's the princess.

Katie was really out of watching Disney Jr. by the time Elena came out. We had an idea who she was,

You're farther ahead than I am. I have zero clue who she is.

Brianna got her nails done just before the trip, with a special Disney theme (you'll see she has Mickeys, the castle, Princess slipper, "hidden Mickey" jewels).

Wow! Impressed.

Is that a stock photo? Or were those her nails?

On our way up from Sleepy Hollow, we had noticed the Step-Sisters, Anastasia and Drizella (A&D) were meeting, so of course the girls wanted to see them.

Of course! I haven't met them, but have seen them. They're great. :)

They started making plans for our Shelby and their Lucifer to have a play date.

:laughing:

So off to the Tea Cups we went. Katie loves this ride. I am not a fan, but I put up with it

Yeah.... last time was with @Steppesister and DD16. I kept trying to slow it down. I finally gave in and spun it as hard as I could. I was rewarded with shrieks.

Take that.

Big Top Souvenirs. I really like this place, since it has nearly the same treat selection as Main Street Confectionery, but less crowded.

Oh! I've never been in the area. It's not a glorified Starbucks, is it? Those treats look... better.

Being so hot, I thought Carousel of Progress would be a nice break

::yes:: Good place for a nap, too.

I had to really look. I was looking for a Mickey head only. Nicely done!

What... No foot shot?

1. We go swimming back at All-Star Music, in the guitar pool. Is this the only pool we swim in that afternoon?

No. Piano pool beckons.

2. We visit Toy Story Land for the first time. We have a fast pass for one ride – which one?

Gotta go with Slinky Dog.

Hmmm.... long day, so... first?

Hello folks. Well, I was reminded of a trip report failure in my last update, after reading about a similar failure in another trip report, but I'm too polite to mention names (but Mark knows who he is).

I know who I am. Do you know who you are?

Shame on me for breaking a cardinal rule of trip reporting. I'm sure it's in the trip reporting guidelines somewhere. If somebody has the manual lying around can you help a newbie out and send it along? :P

Rules are made to be broken. Truth be told, I'm not all that upset about it. Everyone knows what a hotel room looks like.

Soon, alarms went off, showers were had, things were buffed, polished, pruned, primped, primed, crimped, and curled, most of which was done using numerous bottles and utensils that I frankly do not understand.

I can't help you there. Sorry.

My intention was to drive to the parks…except you don’t drive to Magic kingdom, right?

Actually, we had the same thought. I figured by the time I got parked, rode the tram, transferred to the ferry or monorail, etc., the bus might be faster.

We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 8:30am, a half hour after rope drop.

Boo.

I have to confess that…well…let’s just say Main Street got a little dusty that morning (it’s a DISDads thing, you’ll figure it out).

Stupid allergies.

There was so much I wanted to do, so of course our first ride had to be…(drum roll please)…it’s a small world.

When you absolutely, positively need to waste ten minutes.

img_7397-jpg.353340

(Yes, I really did capture the moment when she first saw the castle)

Awwww....nice work, Dad.

Except I also thought – oh man, I want to do Test Track after! Well, Brianna being 8 years old and having no idea what a ride was, got a little bit freaked out by it and spent most of the ride with her head buried in her hands.

:rotfl2: But still, it's Test Track.

(Wow…I miss the old Test Track. I also miss not having grey hair, but time does that to you)

I miss the old Test Track, too. And, well...having hair.

So now it’s our tradition to ride ISAW as our very first ride, and usually at some point on our last day. I actually don’t mind it and on this morning it felt right. I was back at Disney and we have a great 10 days ahead of us. Plus, I think the drunk hippo is funny and I kind of like to groove to the South Pacific drum beat section.

Well, if it's tradition, I guess I'll allow it. I'm getting soft.

Side note: Brianna got her nails done just before the trip, with a special Disney theme (you'll see she has Mickeys, the castle, Princess slipper, "hidden Mickey" jewels).

Those look very elaborate!

Drizella made Anastasia honestly laugh in one of the pictures, so Anastasia came over to me after and insisted on seeing the picture. This was probably the best character interaction we had the whole trip.

Nice. They seem to be consistently fun.

After all the Princess merriment, we thought a spot of tea was in order. So off to the Tea Cups we went. Katie loves this ride. I am not a fan, but I put up with it, as long as the cup isn’t spun too fast, or else it becomes the Puke Cups (© @Steppesister :)).

This is called taking one for the team.

Uh...no. You go look for a quieter one.

I'm going to go against the grain and say Toy Story Mania, figuring you needed to work up to the coaster later with your daughter.

First.

Why? Too... hospital-y?
Yeah, I guess. Just seems too plain. I don't mean I want the full on bedspread back. But I've seen some resorts with just a coloured runner at the base, which spruces it up a bit.

Fair warning. Ice buckets will be used on stragglers.
Never thought of that. Hmmm....

Which is why we're no where as pretty as they are.
rapunzel thumbs up.gif

I kinda love that typo. Going to the Church of Disney does tend to lend a certain holiness factor to it.
:laughing: I didn't even notice the typo, but at least it kind of works as is anyway!

Nice shot of you guys, but...… where are your ears???
Rapunzel asked me the same thing :rotfl2:
I don't think I could pull off the sparkly, glittery ones. But you know, I do have a Darth Vader Mickey ears helmet that I wore at the Halloween party in 2014. I don't think they do that kind of thing anymore since Disney bought Lucasfilm and are more serious about the Star Wars characters now. I crossed my mind to bring it, but in the heat...no thanks.

What. In. The. Heck?
Yeah, I know. Don't take away my DDC membership. :rotfl2:

So take the Disney app, add the Touring Plans app and divide by two. Gotcha.
You know, this actually was true in most cases.

Wait... is that the square route sign? More math? This TR is getting complicated.
It actually is :laughing: I was doing my writing in Word (you know, at work on coffee breaks, lunch breaks, during "work time", like you would). Anyway, I could not for the life of me find a simple check mark. So that's the best I could do. I'm sure it's out there. I just couldn't find it. o_O

Is that a stock photo? Or were those her nails?
That's her nails. But it's a photo from the salon Instagram where she got them done. I all the selfies and pics she took, not one was of her nails. I was thinking of not mentioning it at all, but she was very proud of them and did get a lot of compliments from CMs and characters though the trip, so it was a big deal for her. I wanted to have it in the report, but really needed the close up so everyone could see what the fuss was about.

Yeah.... last time was with @Steppesister and DD16. I kept trying to slow it down. I finally gave in and spun it as hard as I could. I was rewarded with shrieks.
I can just imagine :rotfl:

Oh! I've never been in the area. It's not a glorified Starbucks, is it? Those treats look... better.
Not a glorified $tarbucks at all! It has a good selection of treats and not nearly as crowded as the Main Street shops. Of course it's more out of the way. perhaps not worth a special trip if you aren't in that area, but a great place for a break. My only complaint is no inside tables. But several outside that usually aren't full.

What... No foot shot?
I thought of it...but no.

Do you know who you are?
Sometimes. It depends on the day.

I can't help you there. Sorry.
Some of the things they use look like torture devices. I don't try to figure it out anymore.

Actually, we had the same thought. I figured by the time I got parked, rode the tram, transferred to the ferry or monorail, etc., the bus might be faster.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the bus is faster for Magic Kingdom.

Well, if it's tradition, I guess I'll allow it. I'm getting soft.
It's the only ride in all WDW with a drunk hippo. It's not that bad. Mind you, we ride it the first morning and sometime on the last day, then avoid it like the plague in between.

Those look very elaborate!
They were, she was very proud of her nails, so I had to include it in the report. They also took about 2 hours to do at the salon. I didn't ask what they cost. Some things are better left unknown. At lest she's old enough now to have a part time job and pay for that stuff herself.

Yeah, I guess. Just seems too plain. I don't mean I want the full on bedspread back. But I've seen some resorts with just a coloured runner at the base, which spruces it up a bit.

I get that, actually.
It's Disney. There's no room for plain!

Never thought of that. Hmmm....

You're welcome.

:laughing: I didn't even notice the typo, but at least it kind of works as is anyway!

I hope you keep it that way!

Rapunzel asked me the same thing :rotfl2:

:laughing: So nice to know I think like a princess.

I don't think I could pull off the sparkly, glittery ones. But you know, I do have a Darth Vader Mickey ears helmet that I wore at the Halloween party in 2014. I don't think they do that kind of thing anymore since Disney bought Lucasfilm and are more serious about the Star Wars characters now. I crossed my mind to bring it, but in the heat...no thanks.

Well, plain ol' ears woulda worked too.

Sooooooo disappointed.

;)

Yeah, I know. Don't take away my DDC membership. :rotfl2:

You are teetering on the precipice, sir.

It actually is :laughing: I was doing my writing in Word (you know, at work on coffee breaks, lunch breaks, during "work time", like you would). Anyway, I could not for the life of me find a simple check mark. So that's the best I could do. I'm sure it's out there. I just couldn't find it. o_O

:laughing: Called it!

That's her nails. But it's a photo from the salon Instagram where she got them done.

Gotcha. Really nicely done!
With two DDs (like yourself) I've seen my share of nails. Those are... pretty darned good!

I all the selfies and pics she took, not one was of her nails. I was thinking of not mentioning it at all, but she was very proud of them and did get a lot of compliments from CMs and characters though the trip, so it was a big deal for her.

No, you have to!

I wanted to have it in the report, but really needed the close up so everyone could see what the fuss was about.

::yes::

I can just imagine :rotfl:

Made my day. :)

Not a glorified $tarbucks at all! It has a good selection of treats and not nearly as crowded as the Main Street shops. Of course it's more out of the way. perhaps not worth a special trip if you aren't in that area, but a great place for a break. My only complaint is no inside tables. But several outside that usually aren't full.

Hmmm... but if in the area. And since I've never been there.... should do this.

I thought of it...but no.

Tragic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter