Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

Unfortunately, we found out the overlay wouldn’t start until 6:00.

Well poop! Even though I don't LOVE the Tea Cups, I would ride them for the overlay once.

upload_2019-1-26_12-46-49-jpeg.378243

I don't know about YOUR picture, but the guy in front of you looks like he needs a bathroom pretty badly.

I can only assume the tea cups were as nauseating as usual.

:rotfl2:

:crazy2:

That photo is so awesome!

from the sign :(. I figured we were looking at 90 minutes. We all had a chat again. 90 minutes would put us close to the fireworks start, but I would hopefully still have time to do a ride with one of the Halloween “extras” like Pirates or HM. The girls were determined and OK with the wait. The truth is, although I had mentioned the Halloween overlays on some rides, and Madam Carlotta outside HM, and the Cadaver Dans, they really don’t pay much attention to that stuff and likely forgot it right after I mentioned it. It’s the curse of being a DISer I suppose. You’re probably wondering why – once again – I didn’t go off on my own and do some things I wanted to do. I have wondered that myself on more than one occasion since doing this report. I guess I just feel like it’s our family vacation and we should stay together for the most part. Splitting up for a quick ride here and there is fine, but I knew they would be stuck in this queue for at least an hour and half, with no way for me to join them if I left (I don’t feel right cutting through a que

Yeah,.... uhh... buh-bye. :wave:

And the total wait time for those pictures? Two hours and twenty minutes – nearly double the estimate. That CM in front of the Enchanted Tiki Room is a lying son of a Beverly.

:headache:

While I applaud your stick-it-outedness, I can also feel your frustration.

The FP queue wasn’t being fun though. I don’t know what was going on, but we were not moving at all in what seemed to be a big line, and the SB queue was walking past us. I started to wonder if we had the wrong line. Once we got to the loading area, the SB queue did twist around more, so maybe it was even in the end. It just seemed strange. Once again, I have a boring ride picture. Also, don't you hate it when there's only two of you but your ride photo is split in two? #firstworldDISproblems
That is really strange queue for Space.....

We wanted to get back down to the treat trail where we entered the party. The CMs wouldn’t let us go against the flow by The Plaza, so we had to walk down Main Street and then up the back walkway again. But we got a few photo ops, which was the whole point, so it was fine.
The pictures are great!

The girls, however, had one character they really wanted to meet – Moana. They started talking about it even before we left home. I warned them the wait times are at least an hour, and Moana was rare, so she would be a long wait. But they were undeterred and committed to it. She is an unofficial Disney Princess after all, so they weren’t about to miss her. We made our way to Adventureland and found her queue outside the Enchanted Tiki Room. At this point the line filled the whole Tiki Room queue plus about 10 people outside, including us. I asked the CM outside next to the Moana sign roughly how long the wait is and she said 75 minutes from the sign :(. I figured we were looking at 90 minutes.
Yikes! You were a good sport....I totally would have bailed and gone to do something else.

B. anything Mickey shaped makes things better.
This is an indisputable fact.

I won’t bore you with any more details on the waiting – it was bad enough going through it the first time. Eventually, we did meet Moana and she was pleasant although somewhat forgettable. She mentioned something to the girls about “you brought your whole village” which I guess meant the whole family? I dunno. Anyway, pictures or it didn’t happen…
Sorry it was so lackluster. :(

And the total wait time for those pictures? Two hours and twenty minutes – nearly double the estimate. That CM in front of the Enchanted Tiki Room is a lying son of a Beverly.
That is awful!! Did you at least get to see the fireworks?

Whew, that was a long wait. Especially for you, the person who didn't really care about the meet and greet. My kids are still young, but I already understand that we do things at Disney soley for them. Seeing their smiles and watching them be happy about accomplishing a Disney goal is what makes us happy....but still. I'm sure that wait was a hard pill to swallow! :laughing:
Hopefully you were able to make it on one of the Halloween-themed rides at some point later on in the party.

Not wanting to miss our FP, we rushed through here and went into the mine, which is always fun. Well, maybe not as much fun as the dude in the red shirt is having. But still fun.

I hope you find something in life that gives you as much joy as the Mine Train gave that guy.

Unfortunately, we found out the overlay wouldn’t start until 6:00. Bummer.

Dang. I wonder what exactly the overlay is.

Also, don't you hate it when there's only two of you but your ride photo is split in two?

::yes::

I can only assume the tea cups were as nauseating as usual.

Probably a good guess. You won that round.

For me, I would be OK not meeting any characters. I know there are some rare ones, and they have their Halloween costumes, but it’s just not high on my priority list.

As I keep saying...it's just a random stranger in a costume! Like seeing your neighbor on Halloween.

I asked the CM outside next to the Moana sign roughly how long the wait is and she said 75 minutes from the sign :(. I figured we were looking at 90 minutes.

:faint: No reward is worth this.

You’re probably wondering why – once again – I didn’t go off on my own and do some things I wanted to do. I have wondered that myself on more than one occasion since doing this report.

:rotfl2:

I guess I just feel like it’s our family vacation and we should stay together for the most part.

I get that. That's why I didn't ride RnRC until now. I felt guilty making the others wait for me.

(I don’t feel right cutting through a queue, even if my family is up ahead)

Good man. That's so irritating.

Eventually, we did meet Moana and she was pleasant although somewhat forgettable. She mentioned something to the girls about “you brought your whole village” which I guess meant the whole family? I dunno.

:confused3 Sigh. There are so many better uses of your time. Like doing your taxes.

Two hours and twenty minutes – nearly double the estimate.

:eek: :faint:

There had better be free unlimited Dole Whips at the end with a wait like that.

I hope you find something in life that gives you as much joy as the Mine Train gave that guy.
One can only hope...

Dang. I wonder what exactly the overlay is.
For Space Mountain you rode with all the lights off, complete darkness. To be honest, I'm not sure I would like that one.
For the Tea Cups, they had special lighting (i.e. Halloween purple & orange) and different music, presumably of the spookier variety.
Neither was worth too much trouble, but it would have been fun just to say we did it.

Good man. That's so irritating.
I have never cut through the queue, it just doesn't feel right. I get there are situations, like your kid needs the bathroom or something, but I kind of feel that if you have to leave the line, you should start from the end again.

:confused3 Sigh. There are so many better uses of your time. Like doing your taxes
Or having a root canal.
I won't ever wait that long for a character again. Even if it means going off on my own.

There had better be free unlimited Dole Whips at the end with a wait like that.
I wish, I wish....

We were a tad later than I wanted but still respectable, getting through the gates at 4:30.

That's not bad at all! The party hasn't really started yet. :)

:laughing: Great shots of you guys! (Despite Mr. Red Shirt)

I had read there were special Halloween ‘extras’ for both these attractions. Unfortunately, we found out the overlay wouldn’t start until 6:00.

Yep. No treats for the non-paying folks.

The FP queue wasn’t being fun though. I don’t know what was going on, but we were not moving at all in what seemed to be a big line, and the SB queue was walking past us.

huh. That's... odd.

Also, don't you hate it when there's only two of you but your ride photo is split in two?

Not really?

#firstworldDISproblems

#Iamusuallysolo

We wanted to get back down to the treat trail where we entered the party. The CMs wouldn’t let us go against the flow by The Plaza,

I get that. And going up Main St, isn't that big a deal. Either way you're going to travel to the front of the park and back.

I like how the girls' shirts have Minnie bows on them. :)

Below is the one and only Magicshot we managed to get the whole night.

But it's a good one. :) Didn't know about that one.

I know there are some rare ones, and they have their Halloween costumes, but it’s just not high on my priority list.

Ditto.
I stood in line once for Jack and Sally... but that was pretty much just for the TR. Won't do it again.

The girls, however, had one character they really wanted to meet – Moana.

Oh!

I asked the CM outside next to the Moana sign roughly how long the wait is and she said 75 minutes from the sign :(.

Ugh. Oh well. You do these things for the kids.

a ride with one of the Halloween “extras” like Pirates or HM.

I wondered what you meant with HM, but then see you meant outside the ride.
And... yes, Mme Carlotta is awesome. :)

The truth is, although I had mentioned the Halloween overlays on some rides, and Madam Carlotta outside HM, and the Cadaver Dans, they really don’t pay much attention to that stuff and likely forgot it right after I mentioned it.

:rolleyes1 You have to hit the right comment at the right time. Otherwise it's "Blah, blah, blah..." "Dad? Did you say something?" "Yes, I said blah, blah, blah...."

You’re probably wondering why – once again – I didn’t go off on my own and do some things I wanted to do. I have wondered that myself on more than one occasion since doing this report. I guess I just feel like it’s our family vacation and we should stay together for the most part.

Yep. That's pretty much it right there.

Those are cute shots. :)

Eventually, we did meet Moana and she was pleasant although somewhat forgettable.

That's probably true of most character meets?

You call that proof? Obviously photoshopped!!!

And the total wait time for those pictures? Two hours and twenty minutes – nearly double the estimate.

:faint:

That CM in front of the Enchanted Tiki Room is a lying son of a Beverly.

:lmao:

Caught up on the whole thing and am so enjoying your report! And thanks to you I now have new ways to use “Alien Swirling Saucers” and “Beverly.”

That 2+ hour wait is awful! We had a wait like that once. We were in MK in 2016 on the last day Tiana and Naveen were meeting together in the gazebo. Like yours, my kids are character crazy and my son insisted on waiting to meet them because we’d never met Naveen. That line took forever. I watched our FP time for splash come and go, the MSEP come and go, my hopes and dreams come and go. But at least when we got to the front the characters provided a really enjoyable and memorable experience!

The other thing about Homecomin’ is that it was too much food. We definitely could have split two entrees between the four of us for lunch. When I got the bill, I wished we had done this. It’s not cheap. So, overall the girls enjoyed their food, and I loved the mac & cheese and the not-so-salty chicken. I would go back to Homecomin’ partly to see if my salty chicken was just a one off thing, but I would also order less food.

I love Homecomin', but the food there is definitely shareable. Then you would have saved room for my favorite thing there, the Hummingbird Cake :love:

In 2010 – on my birthday no less – we attended our first party. This was an amazing experience. The crowds were light (and FYI it was in late October), most rides were a walk on

We attended our first party in October 2010, as well, and had pretty much the same experience. Those were the days ::yes::

Below is the one and only Magicshot we managed to get the whole night.

upload_2019-1-26_12-54-5-jpeg.378261

It's a good one, though :thumbsup2

A photopass photographer was trying to keep everyone occupied by doing Hei Hei magicshots.

upload_2019-1-26_13-0-59-jpeg.378292

upload_2019-1-26_13-1-14-jpeg.378293

Wait…you said no more Magic Shots :laughing:

Cute!

And the total wait time for those pictures? Two hours and twenty minutes

:scared1:

Crazy!

Last year we waited for Jack & Sally, but we got in line first thing so we were kind of waiting before the party started…maybe 430-6, or something like that. I would never spend so much money and then spend 2.5 hours of it in line :sad:

Caught up on the whole thing and am so enjoying your report! And thanks to you I now have new ways to use “Alien Swirling Saucers” and “Beverly.”

That 2+ hour wait is awful! We had a wait like that once. We were in MK in 2016 on the last day Tiana and Naveen were meeting together in the gazebo. Like yours, my kids are character crazy and my son insisted on waiting to meet them because we’d never met Naveen. That line took forever. I watched our FP time for splash come and go, the MSEP come and go, my hopes and dreams come and go. But at least when we got to the front the characters provided a really enjoyable and memorable experience!
Thanks very much for reading along. I'm glad you're enjoying it! The long character waits are tough, but if it makes the kids happy, then I will suffer through it.

Wow, no wonder you had such a different impression of the party than us. 2 hours for Moana is insane!!!!!! You're a trooper for hanging in there with the girls though.

Apparently DW heard there were some items left on the shelves that we hadn’t already purchased
Not allowed! All shelves must be cleared or you have no proof of your trip.

I honestly have no recollection of it. Or I just blocked the experience from my mind
i have no memory.jpg (sorry that image is much bigger than I expected)

While we were waiting for the waitress to take our order, the lady at the table next to us was taking a picture of her food. DW and the girls were amazed by this, the fact that other people actually did that. I think up to this point they thought all my trip reporting was some kind of elaborate dad joke
HA! We aren't crazy!

That mac & cheese was awesome
I have dreams about this mac and cheese.

Once again, I have a boring ride picture
The difference in expression between the three of you is phenomenal.

Below is the one and only Magicshot we managed to get the whole night
Hey but it's a good one!

B. anything Mickey shaped makes things better
Preach it!! Never underestimate the power of the Mickey shape.

Two hours and twenty minutes – nearly double the estimate
Hot diggity dog that's one heckuva wait for an unofficial princess.

lying son of a Beverly
Okay I'm stealing this insult

Jeff, been really enjoying your TR. Sorry I haven't been replying more. Not only work, but trying to make the most of my APs and I'm mostly reading on phone which isn't good for replies. Heck, I've got a done of PP photos I haven't even thought about uploading...so much Disney and so little time. ;)

Jeff, been really enjoying your TR. Sorry I haven't been replying more. Not only work, but trying to make the most of my APs and I'm mostly reading on phone which isn't good for replies. Heck, I've got a done of PP photos I haven't even thought about uploading...so much Disney and so little time. ;)
No problem Doc, we can all get busy. I often just have time for a quick "like" on TRs especially if I read on my phone.
I'm happy that you're reading and enjoying it.
I've been trying to update regularly (every week to 10 days) but I can't always get around to it. I have actually written the whole thing, but just need the time to sort through pictures and post the updates.

2.5 hours for Moana! :scared: That's insane!! And really a shame that they so grossly underestimated the line length.

The magic shots you managed to get are a lot of fun though.

August 24th – Day 7 – Part 3 – More Tragical than Magical – Continued…

After our marathon wait in the queue for Moana, it was now after 8:00 and nearly dark. I really wanted to do Pirates, especially since I heard about the “live” pirates during the ride. Unfortunately time was a bit short and we soon had to jostle for fireworks position. We did some quick trick or treating at the Jungle Cruise on the way. There was already a fair crowd in The Hub, but we found a corner near the Adventureland path that was a pretty good view, so once again we were waiting. At least this time, I knew how long the wait was. I really like the Halloween lighting and decorations. It's just a shame they don't cover more of the park besides Main Street and The Hub.

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9482.JPG

Hallowishes is certainly a highlight of the night for us and this was no exception. I had a hard time choosing just a couple, so here are probably too many pictures of Hallowishes.

IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_9498.JPG

IMG_9484.JPG

I desperately wanted to say I had done at least one ride at the party, and we also wanted to do some more trick or treating. We noticed a few treat stations in Frontierland so we stopped at those on the way to BTMRR. I have to mention one “treat” we got was a pouch of applesauce. Seriously? I get that all this candy is likely given to Disney free as marketing for the candy companies, but really? Applesauce? What were the other options at that boardroom meeting? Kale chips? A bag of frozen peas?

Anyway, I got to ride on Big Thunder, but there was a nearly 20 minute wait. It was a far cry from the walk on & triple loop I experienced back in 2010. It’s still my favourite ride, especially at night.

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

August 24th – Day 7 – Part 3 – More Tragical than Magical – Continued…

It was nearing the 2nd parade time so we picked a spot near Country Bears to watch. We got there with more than 30 minutes to go, so it wasn’t too crowded then and we got in the front. Boo To You is entertaining, especially the grave diggers and ghost dancers. Like most people, I can’t quite figure out what the giant chicken has to do with Halloween. I do think it may be time for a refresh on the parade.

I always find night pictures a challenge, especially the Headless Horseman. Below are the best of the bunch.

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9514.JPG

I managed to capture a few sparks form the grave diggers shovels this time.

IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_9542.JPG

It was getting late now (after 11:00pm I think) and I couldn’t say that we had gone to the Halloween party and not done Haunted Mansion. We made our way there and waited about 15 minutes.

I didn’t notice Carlotta on the front lawn, which was disappointing because I’ve never seen her. I think I read she finished at 11:30, so she must have just left. I have made the same mistake every party - waiting for HM until late.

HM ended up being the last ride for the night. Being close to the end of the party, we made our way out. The Hocus Pocus show was just starting at midnight so we watched that before exiting. It was our first time seeing it, and it was pretty good. Better than the villains’ thing they did a few years ago.

IMG_9554.JPG

So, I have come to the disappointing conclusion that I am done with MNSSHP. My opinion – it’s just not worth it anymore. I have spent two parties now trying to recapture the magic of our first one in 2010. I think that magic is gone. The main reason is that the parties are now more crowded, at least they seem to be to me. Part of the attraction for me was the lower crowds. Anecdotally (from listening to a podcast, so I can’t say this is accurate), Disney is selling two or three times the number of tickets for parties than they used to. In the beginning, the tickets were limited, so it was a special experience. Now, they just sell to capacity. The crowds make the lines for rides and characters longer, make it more difficult to get a spot for the fireworks and parade, and just make it less appealing to me. Now, if you have never done a party, by all means, do one. I have never done a Christmas party and I would happily do one if given the chance. The key word being “one”. For the cost of a family of four, the party tickets just don’t give me enough enjoyment to justify multiple visits. If I was going solo, or even as an adult couple, I would re-think it and perhaps plan the night differently. But for now, I won’t do another Halloween party.

Well, that’s not a very nice way to end a post. Trivia anyone?

Answers to last questions:

1. We meet a character at MNSSHP. Which one? Moana
  2. Spoiler – there is a wait for that character. How long do we wait – 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, more than 2 hours? more than 2 hours
  3. We watch the 2nd parade. From where do we watch it? Frontierland

Next Update Questions for Fun:

1. We visit AK. I have 4 FP for Flight of Passage. Do all four FP get used?
  2. I get a frozen beverage from a kiosk/food truck. What is it?
  3. We meet one character at AK. Which character?

Great nighttime photos! I'm sorry you didn't love MNSSHP; it does seem that the parties are getting more and more crowded.

1. We visit AK. I have 4 FP for Flight of Passage. Do all four FP get used? No
  2. I get a frozen beverage from a kiosk/food truck. What is it? Night Blossom
  3. We meet one character at AK. Which character? Pocahontas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter