Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

Tonight we were finally going to Epcot, arguably my favourite park. Although I think the idea of Epcot is my favourite park.

I think we ended up in the same place by the time our trip was over.

In the interest of cost cutting, we decided to skip it this trip.

I've used that phrase a lot!

I sheepishly admitted to the CM that today wasn’t actually her birthday, it was a week ago, but we were bending the truth a little. She just laughed and said people come in all the time saying their birthday was 6 months ago but wanted a button anyway.

:laughing: I'll have a story for you about this a little later.

I attempted another @Steppesister -esque picture of the chandelier in the lobby.

That is one of the weirdest chandeliers I've ever seen.

(My wife does seem to be enjoying it more than the rest of us, although she just said it was "OK". You may often notice this discrepancy in ride pictures. The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride.)

Oh, that's a total Frozen crush, right there!

Anna was very bubbly as you would expect, and kept telling Katie that sisters with two braids are better than sisters with one braid :p

Fight! Fight!

I know Katie is probably not supposed to be sitting on the window ledge, but I thought it looked very artistic and chic, so I played ignorant parent and just took her picture.

I've seen people commit far worse violations.

The strawberry and chocolate ice cream was good, but if you happen to get salted caramel, be warned it is very salty, to the point where we all tried to eat some but ended up throwing it away.

Ew.

But the thing is, with the silly Epcot tiers (or is it tears? – I kind of understood it until they added Character Spot), once you’ve done Frozen or Soarin’ or Test Track, there isn’t much else.

::yes:: Truth.

We had a lovely time thanking the Phoenicians, smelling Rome burn, and trying to figure out what happened to my face on the ride picture.

Wow, looks like somebody was doing some machine gun practice.

None of us had any interest in orange side. I don’t enjoy the Puke Cups or Primeval Hurl, I certainly don’t need to experience 3.8 Gs or whatever it is. I think G is a measurement for Gross, and I wasn’t feeling it. However, I did I want to give the green side another try because I heard the video had changed. At this time of night, nobody was really in the mood for it, so we scrapped the idea. If you’re keeping track, out of three FP, we used one. Epcot tiers suck.

I have never tried orange, for fear of leaving something orange on the floor. But I've always enjoyed the green side. And yes, the tiers suck.

Of course I would show evidence of this but I am an old man who doesn’t know how to attach a video, so this screen capture from the video of the moment the taste registered with them will have to suffice.

The photo does the job!:thumbsup2

The only problem is that you need to be there close to an hour ahead to get a place. We arrived about 45 minutes from show time, but managed to squeeze in. I don’t mind waiting that long if it means getting a decent spot.

I always mind waiting that long for anything! I hate having to camp out just to see a show.

I was snapping a couple of the Canada pavilion when a bolt of lightning flashed behind it. Although I didn’t get the bolt itself, I did catch the white glow behind the pavilion. Not that spectacular, but I know it’s lightening and I think it’s cool.

Nice timing!

Anyway, I was almost at the front of the popcorn cart line now, to the point where I could read the sign. Son of a Beverly!?!…Maple Popcorn?

:sad2: This is where foodie culture drives me nuts. Sometimes you just want a simple, basic comfort food. No dressing-up required.

I know you’re probably thinking I should look at my map. Well, I don’t use maps. It’s all in my head. I know where I’m going. Guys don’t need directions.

Darn right! :woohoo:

There was a very chipper CM at a souvenir cart who told me they had very tasty maple popcorn in Canada.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Dejected, I lumbered on my sore tired feet back to the bridge by Mexico sans popcorn (that’s French for %$@#&$^ popcorn).

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I’ve always enjoyed it and I would cautiously say it’s my favourite nighttime show, mostly for the music. Of course the fireworks are good too, and yes I know there's a boring part in the middle with the globe sailing around the lagoon, but despite that, I really enjoy the soundtrack.

Right there with you. I love the music, the spinning globe part takes way too long, but the giant pyrotechnic fire barge makes up for it.

On the way out, we did wander past that little popcorn cart by Spaceship Earth, and I did get my little girl her butter popcorn after all.

All's well that ends well.

1. We’re off to Hollywood Studios again. We have a FP for one of the rides in Toy Story Land. Which ride?

I'll say Slinky this time.

2. I get a snack at the Trolley Car Cafe. What snack?

No idea. Some kinda frappuccino thingy?

3. There has been something on my “to do” list for a very long time, something I have never done before at DHS. I finally tick this off my list. What is it?

50's Prime Time Cafe?

I did ask Katie if she wanted to go swimming. I felt bad that we had only gone in the pool once. But she said she just didn’t want to go outside, it was too hot. I was OK with that.

Oh, I know how that feels. You know it's HOT when it's too hot for SWIMMING!!

Although I think the idea of Epcot is my favourite park. An Epcot where I can eat, drink and be merry all around the world without any dissenting family in tow. That probably doesn’t read very nice. But that’s the best way I have to describe it.

Haha I get what you mean. I love Epcot. I always say if I only had a day at WDW, I'd have to spend it at MK, but I think I'd also be okay with spending it at Epcot, really. But the time we went with Nathan's family and they spent the whole morning being difficult (as families have the tendency to do!) it zapped a little of the Epcot magic.

I sheepishly admitted to the CM that today wasn’t actually her birthday, it was a week ago, but we were bending the truth a little. She just laughed and said people come in all the time saying their birthday was 6 months ago but wanted a button anyway. I guess we were in the clear and we didn’t need to feel like fugitives.

Love it! I was told once by someone who was told by a CM that you're allowed to celebrate your birthday at Disney up to 182 days before or after your birthday. :-) We did the same thing, since N and I didn't get to celebrate my real birthday together. We picked a day and decided that would be my birthday.

I also didn’t need the calories nor to buy a second seat to get my fat Alien Swirling Saucer back on the plane

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My wife does seem to be enjoying it more than the rest of us, although she just said it was "OK". You may often notice this discrepancy in ride pictures. The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride.)

upload_2018-11-12_20-4-47-jpeg.364723

Oh, come on, Tish! We all can see that grin on your face!! ...Katie, on the other hand, only looks mildly amused. :laughing:

Anna was very bubbly as you would expect, and kept telling Katie that sisters with two braids are better than sisters with one braid :p

That's awesome! :goodvibes I, as you know, was a good friend of Anna's (back in the day, before I gained a Masters student's schedule and 20 lbs :laughing:) So I'd have to agree with her there.

Pretty uncanny, I have to say. Love her Disneybound!

in a cup because I’m not a big fan of waffle cones

:scared1: Well, I guess you had to have one flaw. It was bound to come out sooner or later.

:scared1::scared1: This is horrifying.

this screen capture from the video of the moment the taste registered with them will have to suffice.

upload_2018-11-12_20-17-36-png.364735

:rotfl: Nicely done!! I'll have to see if I can find the video/picture of Nathan's first Beverly sometime. It was highly amusing.

upload_2018-11-12_20-19-18-jpeg.364736

Once again I have Liesa to partly thank for this, since I had been trying to take more scenic and artistic photos. I was snapping a couple of the Canada pavilion when a bolt of lightning flashed behind it. Although I didn’t get the bolt itself, I did catch the white glow behind the pavilion. Not that spectacular, but I know it’s lightening and I think it’s cool.

Beautiful! I love the Canada pavilion at night. It may not be the most accurate and all-encompassing representation of our country, but it sure is pretty. :lovestruc You got a great shot!

Anyway, I was almost at the front of the popcorn cart line now, to the point where I could read the sign. Son of a Beverly!?!…Maple Popcorn? Yeah, that’s not going to work. Katie loves popcorn, eats it almost every night, but just the plain butter stuff. I wasn’t taking a chance that she wouldn’t like it.

Oh no!!!! I hate to say this, and I hope I'm wrong...but at one point I think they did still sell normal buttered popcorn here along with the maple. But it was in pre-packed boxes, not fresh from the drum of the popcorn maker, so I'm sure it still wasn't as good as the regular stuff. And they may not even do it anymore. I love the maple popcorn when it's fresh, but I find that more often than not if it sits in the bottom of the warmer for too long, it seems like it burns the sugar a bit and it tastes a little charred.

What a crazy popcorn night you had!!! Disney seems to love making a pretty penny on those popcorn buckets, so I'm shocked they don't have more locations to fill 'em up in Epcot!

I’ve always enjoyed it and I would cautiously say it’s my favourite nighttime show, mostly for the music

I agree. The music is my favourite part. Fantasmic edges past it as my overall favourite night show, but the score for Illuminations takes the cake!

The exit music always gives me the warm fuzzies. Despite the stampede for the buses, I don’t mind going just a little slow.

Gives me the warm fuzzies, too! Especially since it's our wedding song! (Mine and Nathan's, of course, not mine and yours. :laughing:)

Next Update Questions for fun:

1. We’re off to Hollywood Studios again. We have a FP for one of the rides in Toy Story Land. Which ride?

3. There has been something on my “to do” list for a very long time, something I have never done before at DHS. I finally tick this off my list. What is it?

1. A$$ (Mostly just because that acronym cracks me up...)
2. Carrot Cake Cookie....or a cupcake that's too rich to finish on your own.
3. Hmmmm....One Man's Dream?

Wow, looks like somebody was doing some machine gun practice.
I don't know what's going on with some of the SE ride photos lately. I've seen similar in other trip reports (or nothing at all in your case). I guess they are just riding this out until it goes down for the big 2 year overhaul. I suspect it will all get changed (or it should, for that length of time).

I always mind waiting that long for anything! I hate having to camp out just to see a show.
45 minutes is kind of my cut off. I don't mind too much if I have a place to sit (even if it is the ground) and I have a snack to occupy me. Of course, neither of those happened to me that night.

Right there with you. I love the music, the spinning globe part takes way too long, but the giant pyrotechnic fire barge makes up for it.
Anything that allows you to use the words giant, pyrotechnic, and fire in the same sentence has to be good.

That's awesome! :goodvibes I, as you know, was a good friend of Anna's (back in the day, before I gained a Masters student's schedule and 20 lbs :laughing:) So I'd have to agree with her there.
I feel your pain on the 20 lbs. I hate to tell you, but it doesn't get any easier to keep wait off the older you get!
I can only imagine your Masters schedule. Brianna is in university for the first time now and she's finding the work load pretty intense. She's still being a friend of Elsa, but it's only a couple times a month. It seems like the princess party business is drying up a bit actually. I wonder if it's a fad that has run its course?

Well, I guess you had to have one flaw. It was bound to come out sooner or later.
I suppose if you think I have only one flaw, then I've successfully fooled at least one person :p

This is horrifying.
I don't know what's going on with the SE ride pictures lately. Like I said to Mark, I've seen this in other TRs. maybe it is time for that refurb (as much as I would miss it)

Oh no!!!! I hate to say this, and I hope I'm wrong...but at one point I think they did still sell normal buttered popcorn here along with the maple. But it was in pre-packed boxes, not fresh from the drum of the popcorn maker, so I'm sure it still wasn't as good as the regular stuff. And they may not even do it anymore. I love the maple popcorn when it's fresh, but I find that more often than not if it sits in the bottom of the warmer for too long, it seems like it burns the sugar a bit and it tastes a little charred.
The boxes of buttered popcorn may well have been there, but I didn't notice it on the sign. I had that refillable popcorn bucket anyway. And at that point, I wasn't in the mood to wait around. I just saw the word maple and ran.

We spent another afternoon hiding from the Florida sun.

I totally get this. I find that Disney is a quest for three things. Food. Rides. Shade.

But she said she just didn’t want to go outside, it was too hot.

:eek: A young kid not wanting to go in a pool.... because it's hot???? :faint:

Although I think the idea of Epcot is my favourite park.

Kinda get that. Was having a similar conversation with Mark.

If I ever get a solo trip, I’ll let you know if it’s true.

It is, actually.

as part of her “present” she got to choose dinner at any restaurant.

Nice. :)

She chose Via Napoli.

Interesting choice. Huh.

(Many of you who guessed in the questions had a very smart guess with Akershus. It certainly would have helped our princess meet and greet. We like the Akershus breakfast and have done it several times. In the interest of cost cutting, we decided to skip it this trip.)

Ah. That's why. I guessed Le Cellier, just to buck the trend... but thought it might be Akershus too.

our first order of business was to stop at Guest Services for a birthday button

::yes::

She just laughed and said people come in all the time saying their birthday was 6 months ago

6 months?!?!?

Okay... that's kinda pushing it.

I started off with an adult beverage, the Sicilian Sunset (vodka, orangecello, orange and pineapple juices over shaved ice). I am pretty sure I got this the last time, but I enjoyed it, plus any drink with a giant snowball in it has to be good.

Wow! That looks good! Might have to rethink going back to Via Napoli.

The girls had their heart set on a pepperoni pizza, which is what we’ve always had.

I'm not gonna do research... hang on, yes I am...
Yep. According to the few spots I looked, pepperoni is the most popular pizza in North America.

I enjoyed both, although I preferred the Pepperoni to the Quattro Formaggi.

Really! Huh. Wasn't expecting that.

I also didn’t need the calories

Not to worry. Calories don't count on vacation.

nor to buy a second seat to get my fat Alien Swirling Saucer back on the plane

:laughing:

I actually made several attempts at riding Maelstrom and even had a (paper) FP in hand once, but through a series of events that I won’t get into, it had always eluded me.

Really! Huh. Too bad you missed it... but you didn't really miss all that much.

How exactly does one sail up a frozen mountain and inside an ice palace?

On a frozen river of course. Sheesh.

The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride

giphy.gif

The next thing we did should come as no surprise. If you happen to remember our morning, Brianna was doing a bit of Disney bounding with her outfit and had a single braid in her hair for meeting Olaf at DHS. During our hotel break, she added her full hair extension that she uses when she is a “friend” of Elsa at home (yes, she planned ahead that far in advance, so it was a big deal). Katie, although she didn’t have a dark shirt to wear like Anna, she played along and did a double braid in her hair today.

I like that both girls got into it. :) They both look very much the part for meeting Anna and Elsa. :)

Royal Sommerhus (yes, it’s spelled right, I checked).

Huh. Wouldn't have thought so.
I already Googled once on this update. I'm maxed out.

I know that not everyone is happy with the characters infiltrating World Showcase

Doesn't bother me. And I know a lot of people are happy about it so. :confused3

Elsa was a bit “cold” but I suppose that is her nature.

I've heard that so many times... it must be part of the character.

:laughing: Perfect! Bet she liked that!

I suggested ice cream at Artisans de Glace.

Need to get to this place. Have yet to.

It's on the list.

We happened to be passing by the American pavilion and I remembered the American Dream slushie (red strawberry slush, white vanilla soft serve, blue raspberry slush), which was on my “to try” list.

This too has been on my list for several years.
Wasn't aware it had soft serve in the middle, though. Good to know. It just moved up the list.

And... how was it? Did she say?

I know Katie is probably not supposed to be sitting on the window ledge, but I thought it looked very artistic and chic, so I played ignorant parent and just took her picture.

upload_2018-11-12_20-13-15-jpeg.364728

I think window sills are for sitting on. I think she looks perfectly comfy there.

I got a strawberry sorbet (in a cup because I’m not a big fan of waffle cones)

Ditto

if you happen to get salted caramel, be warned it is very salty, to the point where we all tried to eat some but ended up throwing it away.

Thanks, but must admit to not being a big fan of any salt on my sweets. Caramel or chocolate.

with the silly Epcot tiers (or is it tears? –

Well said! ::yes::

once you’ve done Frozen or Soarin’ or Test Track, there isn’t much else.

Yep.
Although I do like to do SE too.

trying to figure out what happened to my face on the ride picture.

You're a cyborg!!!!!!! :eek:

None of us had any interest in orange side.

Neither do I.
First time I rode it, I felt sick for about an hour after. I recently went on it again and... while I wasn't sick quite as long, I definitely did not enjoy it.

Epcot tiers suck.

Yes. Yes they do.

The best part is that none of the girls know about the Beverly

Sweet!

:laughing: Nice.

After we washed the Beverly taste away with something better,

More Beverly?

we made our way to the bridge before Mexico. I don’t know if it’s the best location for Illuminations

Point of order. It may not be if the wind is blowing in that direction. Then you'll see mostly smoke. Always check the wind before camping out for your spot.

One good thing came from my wait in line – the following picture.

Nice!

Once again I have Liesa to partly thank for this, since I had been trying to take more scenic and artistic photos.

She's pretty good, isn't she?

I was snapping a couple of the Canada pavilion when a bolt of lightning flashed behind it. Although I didn’t get the bolt itself, I did catch the white glow behind the pavilion. Not that spectacular, but I know it’s lightening and I think it’s cool.

That is cool!!! I thought the glow behind it was from lights. Nice!!!

Maple Popcorn? Yeah, that’s not going to work.

Are you sure? Next time bring her some and see what she thinks.

Katie loves popcorn, eats it almost every night, but just the plain butter stuff. I wasn’t taking a chance that she wouldn’t like it.

I totally get that. But... "I couldn't find regular popcorn so got you this. Okay if you don't like it. We'll find some later if you don't."

I know you’re probably thinking I should look at my map. Well, I don’t use maps. It’s all in my head. I know where I’m going. Guys don’t need directions. Don’t believe me? Ask Ariane @ariane37. She’ll back me up. Right?…Ariane…hello…are you there? Hmmm.

:rolleyes:

There was a very chipper CM at a souvenir cart who told me they had very tasty maple popcorn in Canada.

:lmao:

told me she thinks there are popcorn carts in the American pavilion and near Spaceship Earth. Not having the time nor energy to drag my body to either of those spots at his point, I gave up.

But good try, dude. Good dad.

Ladies and Gentlemen, to the best of my knowledge – which is less limited now than it used to be – there are only two places to get popcorn at Epcot, other than the maple coated variety in my home and native land

Hey! I happen to know that...

oh yes, you in the front row, smarty pants, I know, there’s caramel stuff in Germany, keep quiet, I’m trying to be funny and endearing here).

... nevermind.

Dejected, I lumbered on my sore tired feet back to the bridge by Mexico sans popcorn (that’s French for %$@#ing popcorn).

I speak French.

And that is correct.

Illuminations started almost the moment I got back. I’ve always enjoyed it and I would cautiously say it’s my favourite nighttime show

Ohhhh... After buttering up @Steppesister twice... then you go and throw that out there.

The exit music always gives me the warm fuzzies.

Aww... :goodvibes

On the way out, we did wander past that little popcorn cart by Spaceship Earth, and I did get my little girl her butter popcorn after all.

:) Good.

Slinky Dog
Gotta say popcorn. I don't even care if they don't sell it. I have to say it now.
Hmmm.... Meet Chewie?

Tonight we were finally going to Epcot, arguably my favourite park. Although I think the idea of Epcot is my favourite park. An Epcot where I can eat, drink and be merry all around the world without any dissenting family in tow. That probably doesn’t read very nice. But that’s the best way I have to describe it. If I ever get a solo trip, I’ll let you know if it’s true.

It used to be mine until AK matured. And TBH, the concept of EPCOT is amazing, but they've gutted it so badly that... well, AK overtook it for #1.

so as part of her “present” she got to choose dinner at any restaurant.

And she didn't choose V&As?!!

a very smart guess with Akershus

Thanks, but good guess or not, we were wrong.

I attempted another @Steppesister -esque picture of the chandelier in the lobby. It didn’t really work out so well this time. (Partly due to camera fog, I think)

That chandelier, gaudy as it is, is fun to photograph. ;)

(reason # 17 why the dining plan does not work for us).

I don't think it'd work for us either.

(although I really wanted to try the zeppole

I've had that..... it was fun.

upload_2018-11-13_20-47-11.png

(My wife does seem to be enjoying it more than the rest of us, although she just said it was "OK". You may often notice this discrepancy in ride pictures. The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride.)

Things that make you go hmmm.....

Katie chilled out while waiting for us to order. I know Katie is probably not supposed to be sitting on the window ledge, but I thought it looked very artistic and chic, so I played ignorant parent and just took her picture.

upload_2018-11-12_20-13-15-jpeg.364728

I love this photo!!

We had a lovely time thanking the Phoenicians, smelling Rome burn, and trying to figure out what happened to my face on the ride picture.

upload_2018-11-12_20-15-7-jpeg.364731

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I think G is a measurement for Gross

Epcot tiers suck.

yes

We did make a quick stop in Club Cool. The best part is that none of the girls know about the Beverly (I am sure I have got them with this on previous trips, but they forget. More fun for me). Of course I told them Beverly was the best one. Of course I made sure to have my phone ready to capture the video. Of course they were suspicious. Of course they did not enjoy it. Of course I would show evidence of this but I am an old man who doesn’t know how to attach a video, so this screen capture from the video of the moment the taste registered with them will have to suffice.

I think you have to create a YouTube account and upload them there then embed the link. At least that's the only way I know how, and yes, huge PITA!

Once again I have Liesa to partly thank for this, since I had been trying to take more scenic and artistic photos. I was snapping a couple of the Canada pavilion when a bolt of lightning flashed behind it. Although I didn’t get the bolt itself, I did catch the white glow behind the pavilion. Not that spectacular, but I know it’s lightening and I think it’s cool.

WHOA! Cool shot, Jeff! How lucky and so pretty!

oh yes, you in the front row, smarty pants, I know, there’s caramel stuff in Germany, keep quiet, I’m trying to be funny and endearing here).

Yes, Sir.

:blush:

mostly for the music.

YES!! That we can agree on. The show ain't my thang, but I listen to the soundtrack at least once a week.

1. SDD
2. Colossal Cinnamon Roll
3. One Man's Dream

An Epcot where I can eat, drink and be merry all around the world without any dissenting family in tow. That probably doesn’t read very nice.
I know exactly what you mean. I wanna love Epcot so much - but with Casey in tow it just isn't what I truly know it can be. We've found a handful of occasions to be there kid free and I must admit it is a totally different experience.

We had an ADR for tonight. Before this trip, we knew it was close to Katie’s birthday (it was a week before), so as part of her “present” she got to choose dinner at any restaurant. She chose Via Napoli. We were all happy with the choice, since Italian is one of our main food groups.
Awesome choice Katie!!!!!

I enjoyed both, although I preferred the Pepperoni to the Quattro Formaggi.
Glad to hear you all enjoyed your experience. Their pizza is my favorite ever!

My wife does seem to be enjoying it more than the rest of us, although she just said it was "OK". You may often notice this discrepancy in ride pictures. The camera doesn't lie. My dear wife sometimes does, at least when it comes to her perceived enjoyment of said ride.
She clearly does look like she is having the time of her life. Are you sure she didn't somehow get on Maelstrom :P

Awesome picture!!! The girls look great.

Katie chilled out while waiting for us to order. I know Katie is probably not supposed to be sitting on the window ledge, but I thought it looked very artistic and chic, so I played ignorant parent and just took her picture.
Very chic indeed!

but if you happen to get salted caramel, be warned it is very salty, to the point where we all tried to eat some but ended up throwing it away.
Yikes!!!! I ordered this once and it tasted of no salt but very burnt. Clearly they have some quality control issues.

I don’t enjoy the Puke Cups or Primeval Hurl, I certainly don’t need to experience 3.8 Gs or whatever it is. I think G is a measurement for Gross, and I wasn’t feeling it.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I know you’re probably thinking I should look at my map. Well, I don’t use maps. It’s all in my head. I know where I’m going. Guys don’t need directions. Don’t believe me? Ask Ariane @ariane37. She’ll back me up. Right?…Ariane…hello…are you there? Hmmm.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I think we'll just call you Steve.

here was a very chipper CM at a souvenir cart who told me they had very tasty maple popcorn in Canada.

upload_2018-11-12_20-22-16-gif.364737
Poor cast member!!! They clearly didn't know what you had endured to get there. For the record (and I know this doesn't help) there is one right outside Electric Umbrella and another one by the Imagination ride.

A young kid not wanting to go in a pool.... because it's hot???? :faint:
I know, that's a bit crazy. And spoiler, we didn't go swimming at all the rest of the trip, except the very first day. I felt bad but I talked to her and she was OK. She honestly just wanted to get out of the sun for a few hours. I think we found the ASMu pool a little dull too, if I'm being honest. Previous pools we've experienced, like PORS, AoA, CB all have water features and/or slides. This was just a pool (with the lone water feature inexplicably turned off every single day, but running at night).

Interesting choice. Huh.
She may have chosen Akershus, but we did suggest that was "off the table" unless she had her heart set on it. Luckily she loves pizza, as do the rest of us.

Wow! That looks good! Might have to rethink going back to Via Napoli.
The cocktail was tasty. If you ever get it, I did find it a bit strong at first. Once the snowball melts it takes the edge off.

Doesn't bother me. And I know a lot of people are happy about it so. :confused3
I OK with it too. But I have read negative things about it from different people.

Perfect! Bet she liked that!
Anna had a lot of fun with the girls, they all had a good laugh.

Need to get to this place. Have yet to.
It's a nice change. The ice cream is different for hard serve, very creamy.

And... how was it? Did she say?
She enjoyed it, especially when the ice cream had melted into the slush. I had a taste (for trip reporting research, of course) and thought it was good too. It's a nice change from the normal slushie.

Although I do like to do SE too.
I like SE too. I always do it. But as you probably know, you really don't need a FP after 3pm, at least in my experience.

Point of order. It may not be if the wind is blowing in that direction. Then you'll see mostly smoke. Always check the wind before camping out for your spo
Good point. One that I believe you have mentioned before. One that I promptly forgot about. Luckily it wasn't an issue (I don't think there was much wind at all)

That is cool!!! I thought the glow behind it was from lights. Nice!!!
Nope, it was lightening. In fact, here is a shot from a few seconds after, for comparison. I almost put it int he report actually.

upload_2018-11-14_21-16-54.jpeg

Are you sure? Next time bring her some and see what she thinks.
She may very well have enjoyed it. I probably should have cut my losses and got that. I'm sure I could have eaten it anyway. But then I wouldn't have a fun story for my TR.

I totally get that. But... "I couldn't find regular popcorn so got you this. Okay if you don't like it. We'll find some later if you don't."
Yep. It definitely would have been easier. And she would have been fine with it I think.

Ohhhh... After buttering up @Steppesister twice... then you go and throw that out there.
I can't have her getting in too good of a mood.

I feel your pain on the 20 lbs. I hate to tell you, but it doesn't get any easier to keep wait off the older you get!
I can only imagine your Masters schedule. Brianna is in university for the first time now and she's finding the work load pretty intense. She's still being a friend of Elsa, but it's only a couple times a month. It seems like the princess party business is drying up a bit actually. I wonder if it's a fad that has run its course?

The company I worked for (which I'd argue was the best around here in Nova Scotia! :laughing:) shut down shortly after I left. It's a lot of time and work, and we were getting fewer and fewer bookings, despite positive reviews from families. So I could definitely see that being the case.

I don't know what's going on with the SE ride pictures lately. Like I said to Mark, I've seen this in other TRs. maybe it is time for that refurb (as much as I would miss it)

I hope SE stays, but I could definitely get on board with an update!

I know, that's a bit crazy. And spoiler, we didn't go swimming at all the rest of the trip, except the very first day. I felt bad but I talked to her and she was OK. She honestly just wanted to get out of the sun for a few hours. I think we found the ASMu pool a little dull too, if I'm being honest. Previous pools we've experienced, like PORS, AoA, CB all have water features and/or slides. This was just a pool (with the lone water feature inexplicably turned off every single day, but running at night).

Yeah.... That pool... First trip, POR... kids were in it once sometimes twice a day.
Second trip, ASMu…. went in once I think.

Boring pool. No slide? :sad2:

The cocktail was tasty. If you ever get it, I did find it a bit strong at first. Once the snowball melts it takes the edge off.

So you're saying drink it before the snowball melts. Check.

I OK with it too. But I have read negative things about it from different people.

Huh. Haven't seen that.

Anna had a lot of fun with the girls, they all had a good laugh.

Good! :)

It's a nice change. The ice cream is different for hard serve, very creamy.

Oh really! Then I really must try it.

She enjoyed it, especially when the ice cream had melted into the slush. I had a taste (for trip reporting research, of course) and thought it was good too. It's a nice change from the normal slushie.

Okay, good to know. Going higher on the list.

I like SE too. I always do it. But as you probably know, you really don't need a FP after 3pm, at least in my experience.

If there's a line... come back in 10 minutes. It might be empty.

Good point. One that I believe you have mentioned before. One that I promptly forgot about. Luckily it wasn't an issue (I don't think there was much wind at all)

And... I forget every time. Luckily, it's normally pretty calm... or I get lucky.

Nope, it was lightening. In fact, here is a shot from a few seconds after, for comparison. I almost put it int he report actually.

upload_2018-11-14_21-16-54-jpeg.365460

I'm really glad you posted that. It really puts it into perspective!

She may very well have enjoyed it. I probably should have cut my losses and got that. I'm sure I could have eaten it anyway. But then I wouldn't have a fun story for my TR.

The things we do for a good story. ;)

I can't have her getting in too good of a mood.

We spent another afternoon hiding from the Florida sun. I did ask Katie if she wanted to go swimming. I felt bad that we had only gone in the pool once. But she said she just didn’t want to go outside, it was too hot. I was OK with that.
Newfoundland summer sun and Florida summer sun are very different!

An Epcot where I can eat, drink and be merry all around the world without any dissenting family in tow. That probably doesn’t read very nice. But that’s the best way I have to describe it. If I ever get a solo trip, I’ll let you know if it’s true.
As someone coming up on her fourth solo trip (two weeks from today, in fact!) I can safely say that Epcot with family and Epcot on your own are two VERY different parks!

She chose Via Napoli.
Great choice!

the Sicilian Sunset (vodka, orangecello, orange and pineapple juices over shaved ice). I am pretty sure I got this the last time, but I enjoyed it, plus any drink with a giant snowball in it has to be good.
This looks delicious!

We debated getting an appetizer to share, but with the dining plan and all its credits weighing us down, we figured we should leave some room for other snacks later (reason # 17 why the dining plan does not work for us). The girls had their heart set on a pepperoni pizza, which is what we’ve always had. I enjoyed that, but I really wanted to try something different. I convinced Brianna, who is the only other in the family who likes white sauce, to share a Quattro Formaggi pizza with me.
I've wanted to try this too. Just waiting for next summer's anniversary trip with DH. :)

it was time to head to our first FP of the night – Frozen Ever After.
Fun and great bounding by Brianna!

Elsa was a bit “cold” but I suppose that is her nature. Anna was very bubbly as you would expect, and kept telling Katie that sisters with two braids are better than sisters with one braid :p
Love the pictures!

the American Dream slushie (red strawberry slush, white vanilla soft serve, blue raspberry slush), which was on my “to try” list.
My boys would love this!

It is a very nice picture. I've seen people hanging out there before so I think it is fine to sit there while waiting.

The strawberry and chocolate ice cream was good, but if you happen to get salted caramel, be warned it is very salty, to the point where we all tried to eat some but ended up throwing it away.
I had heard that about the salted caramel....they will give you small samples of the ice cream before you choose.

and trying to figure out what happened to my face on the ride picture.
Same thing happened to me this summer!

However, I did I want to give the green side another try because I heard the video had changed.
The new green team ride is awesome. It feels a bit like Soarin' in space! You can even see the Atlantic provinces! :)

We normally grab a snack and eat while we wait. Katie wanted some popcorn. That should be easy to find, right?
Not in Epcot! I walked around for 25 minutes trying to find popcorn.

Of course the fireworks are good too, and yes I know there's a boring part in the middle with the globe sailing around the lagoon, but despite that, I really enjoy the soundtrack. I knew this would probably be my last time seeing Illuminations, since we didn’t have another Epcot evening planned, and I doubt I will be taking another trip before it leaves next summer.
Illuminations is so special. My oldest son loves it too. I have an extra soft spot for it as the 1 st time we saw the show, Jack (then aged 8) slipped his hand into mine and said "Mummy, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It makes my heart full." Yes, all the feels for this mama of grown up teenagers.

Next Update Questions for fun:

1. SDD
2. Carrot Cake Cookie
3. Watch Citizens of Hollywood

And she didn't choose V&As?!!
Well...does V&As do chicken nuggets and pizza?

I've had that..... it was fun.
Anything that comes with a gravy boat full of chocolate sauce has to be good.
I really did want to try it.
But I also wanted to use up those dining plan snack credits on something. It was frustrating not being able to use QS credits at any TS. I wish they would take 2 or 3 QS credits for a TS meal. I might actually like the dining plan then.

I love this photo!!
Thanks, I really like it. My first instinct was to tell her to get down, but I stopped myself and took out the camera instead. If not for the ECV behind her, you would think she's hanging out in a storefront in Paris.

WHOA! Cool shot, Jeff! How lucky and so pretty!
Thanks, I was happy to have caught that one.
And I really was making a conscious effort to take better pictures after being inspired by your TRs. (I know @pkondz I keep buttering her up. Maybe I'll have to throw some shade in my next update)

Newfoundland summer sun and Florida summer sun are very different!
::yes::

As someone coming up on her fourth solo trip (two weeks from today, in fact!) I can safely say that Epcot with family and Epcot on your own are two VERY different parks!
Yay for a solo trip! I would love to do Epcot solo one day.

This looks delicious!
It's very good, but it is a bit strong at first until the snowball melts a little.

It is a very nice picture. I've seen people hanging out there before so I think it is fine to sit there while waiting.
I almost told her to get down, but I got out the camera instead. I love how it doesn't seem like a theme park, like she's just hanging out in a Paris storefront. I just wish the EVC wasn't in the background.

I had heard that about the salted caramel....they will give you small samples of the ice cream before you choose.
I don't think we realized that, about the samples. We should have done that for sure.

The new green team ride is awesome. It feels a bit like Soarin' in space! You can even see the Atlantic provinces! :)
*spoiler* we do it later and I enjoyed it. I did get a bit excited when we flew over Newfoundland. :)

Illuminations is so special. My oldest son loves it too. I have an extra soft spot for it as the 1 st time we saw the show, Jack (then aged 8) slipped his hand into mine and said "Mummy, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It makes my heart full." Yes, all the feels for this mama of grown up teenagers.
:love: that's such a great story.
Our trip in 2014 I knew they put out the big torches right after the narrator finishes, so I told Katie we were going to blow it out. She didn't believe me but played along. I counted down 3..2..1 and we blew and the torch went out. She had this puzzled but happy look and asked "did we really do that". I told her the truth. But it was a fun little moment.

Well...does V&As do chicken nuggets and pizza?

I'd bet V&A would make meatloaf or Spam Boats if you asked them too. Throw a little micro cilantro on in and charge you $300... voila. They'd probably even suggest a wine pairing for it and upcharge you $200 more.

As long as it's all deconstructed.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Anything that comes with a gravy boat full of chocolate sauce has to be good.
I really did want to try it.
But I also wanted to use up those dining plan snack credits on something. It was frustrating not being able to use QS credits at any TS. I wish they would take 2 or 3 QS credits for a TS meal. I might actually like the dining plan then.

I'll be curious to hear what you DID spend the credits on. I had always heard you could use 2 QS credits for a TS meal as long as it wasn't a signature place?? Maybe that's changed or I had understood wrongly to begin with. :confused3

Thanks, I really like it. My first instinct was to tell her to get down, but I stopped myself and took out the camera instead. If not for the ECV behind her, you would think she's hanging out in a storefront in Paris.

I think as long as she's not doing any damage to property (ie shame on the people who trample the landscaping!) or isn't bothering other guests, then why not! :)

Thanks, I was happy to have caught that one.
And I really was making a conscious effort to take better pictures after being inspired by your TRs. (I know @pkondz I keep buttering her up. Maybe I'll have to throw some shade in my next update)

awww, thanks, Jeff! That's quite a complement. I'm flattered. :)

And shade you say? I'd buy you an ice cream martini for a spot of shade!!!

Nah. She's too adorbs to throw shade at.

:blush:

You could throw a Grey Goose slushie my way. ;)

I'll be curious to hear what you DID spend the credits on. I had always heard you could use 2 QS credits for a TS meal as long as it wasn't a signature place?? Maybe that's changed or I had understood wrongly to begin with. :confused3
That was my impression too, which is partly why I booked a few TS places, hoping we could combine and use up QS credits that way. (I still wasn't going to turn down free dining for 4 Disney adults/day, but I really wanted a few TS meals).
But either it's changed, or I was mistaken all along. I asked before ordering at every TS place we visited and the reply was always no, QS credits cannot be used for TS.
As far as I know and experienced, the only "transfer" of credits is one QS credit for three snacks. Have you ever seen those people in the gift shops getting bag fulls of candy and cookies to take home? Yeah, that was us on our last day trying to use up credits (which would have really ticked me off if I had paid for the plan)

Jeff - love the report!

the beatification process

Man oh man... the beautification process... how I wish telling them how great they look actually worked...

Wow…I miss the old Test Track.

Count me on that boat as well! Kids elementary school has bricks you drive over - so many times I had to narrate the Belgian blocks.

slowly melt like the dude from Indiana Jones when they opened the Arc.

:rotfl2:

Guys don’t need directions.

Amen brother!

Have you ever seen those people in the gift shops getting bag fulls of candy and cookies to take home? Yeah, that was us on our last day trying to use up credits (which would have really ticked me off if I had paid for the plan)

I too see them on the last day of every single trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!