Teppanyaki Review (early dinner 4/19/04)

Tiziminchac

<font color=blue>I always travel with my George Fo
Yesterday I made a last minute day trip to Epcot with a friend. We arrived in the early afternoon and only had dinner at the park. My friend wanted to have Japanese so we went to Japan (obviously) and the Mitsukoshi Restaurants.

We arrived there at 4 p.m., with no PS, and found that the main restaurants were not serving lunch that day. (The Mitsukoshi two main restaurants consist of Teppanyaki, which serves food cooked at your table, and Tempura Kiku, which serves batter-fried food and sushi. There is also the Matsu No Ma Lounge which serves appetizers and cocktails. All three of these establishments are housed on the second floor of the building that house the Mitsukoshi Department Store.) Dinner would begin seating at 4:30 p.m. so we put our names down for Teppanyaki and proceeded to Matsu No Ma for drinks and appetizers.

We both ordered an Ichigo, which is a fruit drink made of strawberries, pineapple and lemon juice. And it's non alcoholic. Neither of us drink. It was very tasty. We also had the Beef Tataki, which is basically cold slices of roastbeef served with Ponzu sauce. I'm not sure what is in Ponzu sauce but it was tasty. It kind of reminded me of the coldcuts in Norway. We also tried the Chicken Kaarage. That was great! Very good pieces of fried chicken. Small pieces mind you, this is an appetizer. Drinks and appetizers before tip - $19.97

After relaxing and enjoying the great view we headed over to the Teppanyaki for dinner. We were seated almost immediately at a table with a nice family from Texas. Each table seats approximately eight people. Ours was full. Our server was Susan and our chef was Tom. And both were very good. We ordered our drinks, Coke for me and iced tea for my friend. For you beer drinkers, the DH of the family at our table ordered some Japanese beer and said it was great. We skipped the appetizers for the obvious reasons and ordered our entrees. My friend had the Fujiyama Dinner (steak and shrimp) and I ordered the Musashi Dinner (steak and scallops). After all the orders were in our chef appeared and started dinner. This restaurant is similar to the Benihana chain in which the food is cooked on a grill that is part of your table. He starts with the vegetables, mushrooms, onions and some kind of squash. As he fries these up he makes a neat little volcano with the onions, I guess you would have to see it to understand. He also fries up some already cooked noodles. I believe they are called Udon noodles. Once the vegetables and noodles are on your plate he breaks out the seafood and steaks. It is interesting to watch him cook because he does all these little nifty moves with his utensils and he was a real nice guy. Everything gets to your plate cut up in easy-to-eat pieces and needless to say nice and hot. You also get a bowl of rice and some sauces to dip in. I must apologize though because I didn't ask the names of the sauces. But everything was very good. The scallops were some of the best I ever had. And I love scallops. The steak, a sirloin, was also very good but just a bit chewy. Still worth it though. My friend loved the shrimp and we traded off a piece, scallop for shrimp. I can back it up, the shrimp was very good too. Come to think of it, our dinner should have came with a house salad. We never received it! Oh well, I still loved this restaurant. Overall I would recommend this restaurant to anyone interested. Nice atmosphere, friendly service, and good food. Dinner before tip - $66.97

For those of you interested, both of the adults in the family seated with us had the chicken and steak. They both said it was very good. As for their kids, they wouldn't touch any of the food and their mother wisely came prepared and broke out some peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches which were devoured by the kids! As a matter of fact, they were so enthusiastic about Disney that I thought they were fellow Disers. But, when I asked them, they hadn't a clue about the Dis. So I filled them in.

I hope this is helpful.

We had a great lunch at Teppanyaki about 6 months ago and have a PS for my DD's 9th bday lunch in June. I remember reading somewhere that the salad is no longer included but ala carte. We also had a great chef and my DD ate every bite of her kids chicken meal.

Originally posted by suzannews
We had a great lunch at Teppanyaki about 6 months ago and have a PS for my DD's 9th bday lunch in June. I remember reading somewhere that the salad is no longer included but ala carte. We also had a great chef and my DD ate every bite of her kids chicken meal.

In December I think DH paid $3.95 extra for his salad. We were disappointed that it is no longer included with the entree. He loves the ginger dressing and usually buys some in the store to bring home..

I remember reading somewhere that the salad is no longer included but ala carte.

Thanks for the info suzannews. It's been a while since I've eaten there so I didn't know this. I hope you have a great trip in June!

Originally posted by Tiziminchac
Thanks for the info suzannews. It's been a while since I've eaten there so I didn't know this. I hope you have a great trip in June!

Thanks Tiziminchac,

We only live 20 minutes away and Teppanyaki is where my daughter picked for her bday!

We only live 20 minutes away and Teppanyaki is where my daughter picked for her bday!

I didn't even notice your a Floridian too. I thought I had it good with a two hour drive! Isn't it nice being so close? By the way, Your DD has wonderful taste.

What a wonderfully detailed review, and how lucky you are to be able to "pop in" for lunch whenever you wish. I'm envious. ::yes:: <-- Here's me, green with envy!

:teeth:

Pat

185 days and counting . . . again!

This was one of our favs last trip, thanks for your review. And the salad definitely was a la carte when we were there in Feb. We skipped it as we knew we'd be stuffed from dinner.

Originally posted by vicb
This was one of our favs last trip, thanks for your review. And the salad definitely was a la carte when we were there in Feb. We skipped it as we knew we'd be stuffed from dinner.

We did have the appetizers before the meal, but we were stuffed too after eating. So much so that we skipped our regular dessert stop at Boulangerie Patisserie, in France.

Thanks for your wonderful and detailed review. By far, Teppanyaki is my DS favorite restaurant. If it was up to him, we would have lunch and dinner there every meal although Ohana is fast becoming a favorite.

For our upcoming July trip, out of eight dinners, we will be eating at Teppanyaki only four times to his disappointment! By the way, the onion volcano is a recent addition is is way cool. ;)

as well as the salads were taken off and being offered as an appetizer.

Interesting to note, that a couple at our table shared a meal. And with the exception of the meat item they selected, they got just as much food as everyone else got. It might be the way to go...........unless you are doing the low carb thing. :-)

smiles Patty

princess:

Tiziminchac,

Thank you for taking the time to report! I think my kids would also love this restaurant.

How did you find the crowds? This week is our spring break and MAYBE next year, we will be heading down your way.

What a lovely way to spend your daughter's birthday!

--penny

Originally posted by pennyplanner

How did you find the crowds? This week is our spring break and MAYBE next year, we will be heading down your way.

I'm happy that you liked the review. I've only written a couple of them, it's fun though. I wish everyone would do it because I like to read them too. As for the crowds, they were very manageable, even with the Flower and Garden Festival going on. But it was only a day trip to EPCOT so I can't speak for the other parks. And the weather was very nice, warm but not hot. I hope things work out for you and you can make it down this time next year. Goodluck!:)

I enjoyed reading it and Teppanyaki is on our must do list when we visit WDW.::yes:: :wave2:

This is a great review. I will be at WDW in May 19-29, 2004. I am taking my daughter and grandchildren to WDW to celebrate my birthday and I have picked this restaurant as my bd dinner place. My daughter remembers when I took her to Benihana's for her birthday many years ago. I was a bit concerned when I made PS that it would be different. I am glad you posted your impressions because it squashed my fears.

I am so looking forward to our trip. This is a first for all of us except my daughter who went with my aunt's bus trip when she was 8 and hated it because she went in the middle of the summer. She only remembers how hot it was and that she got sick eating that squeeze cheesy stuff.

thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter