Tentative California Itineary driving coast..sort of!!

So leaving from Carmel for Sarah Winchester house at 10 am avoids done traffic bc not early morning?
When you turn right to go to WH, the next few lights can still be backed up. Not like hours of trying but enough to irritate at times. It is always backed up there. Oh and if you are a coach purse person the coach store is a must. And they have a Sur La Table store as well. So many nice stores. On Delores st. there is a place called the Tuck box, tea and scones are so good! They only accept cash. Also if you are a tea person, on Ocean Ave there is a store that sells excellent teas. I usually buy a apricot and brandy tea.

That's not going to be terribly bad traffic. If you play around with the Google Maps predicted traffic for this Wednesday, leaving after 7 AM but before maybe 9 AM puts you in the worst traffic situation. However, that is a crazy drive on CA-17. It's two lanes in each direction but with fairly tight turns. It's notorious for accidents where impatient drivers clip other cars. If there's an accident, everything with slow to a crawl.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Car...9510491!2d37.3183318!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1468405200

It's really only into the heavy commute once you get into the edges of San Jose. The Google Maps estimates have a wide range. If it's perfect, it should take about 70 minutes.
We drove through there last weekend and at 12 it was backed up. It took us a while to get to Carmel valley ranch road

We drove through there last weekend and at 12 it was backed up. It took us a while to get to Carmel valley ranch road

I guess an alternate way would be to take 101. I did that nearly every morning for 7 straight days when I went to the US Open at Pebble Beach years ago.

I guess an alternate way would be to take 101. I did that nearly every morning for 7 straight days when I went to the US Open at Pebble Beach years ago.
That area can be a bad wait. We go every 2 weeks. It even is bad coming from Big Sur. You should come to the fair and get the food.
DH finally played his round at Pebble beach and was so thrilled.

That area can be a bad wait. We go every 2 weeks. It even is bad coming from Big Sur. You should come to the fair and get the food.
DH finally played his round at Pebble beach and was so thrilled.

I went in 2000 - the year Tiger Woods just won going away. People were trying to dump their tickets for the last round because there was basically no suspense. I went every day including the practice rounds. I still had a house in Silicon Valley where I kept a room and rented out the other rooms.

It's really odd from Monterey to Carmel around a major golf tournament. All the big hotels in the area require a full week booking, even though many don't show up until the official tournament starts. Crowds were light for the practice rounds. I cut my first day short and visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was really lightly visited. I was wearing a US Open cap I'd bought and was talking to an aquarium volunteer docent, who also had a US Open cap (she said she was a volunteer at the tournament too). She told me that visitation was really light because all the hotels rooms were being grabbed for tournament goers instead of the normal tourist crowd. Even once they got there, they weren't likely to visit the aquarium. I've been there on a normal summer day, and it is very crowded.

I also got to see the condition of the course get worse and worse. People were allowed to cut across the greens, and you could see the gradual yellowing of the grass at the designated paths. It was almost like watching the grass die at Wimbledon. I also took a guest to Pebble Beach the week afterwards just to visit the 17 Mile Drive and visit the Aquarium. There were a lot more visitors at the aquarium, and the golf course looked way different. The fairways were cut wider and the rough was no longer 8 inches.

When you turn right to go to WH, the next few lights can still be backed up. Not like hours of trying but enough to irritate at times. It is always backed up there. Oh and if you are a coach purse person the coach store is a must. And they have a Sur La Table store as well. So many nice stores. On Delores st. there is a place called the Tuck box, tea and scones are so good! They only accept cash. Also if you are a tea person, on Ocean Ave there is a store that sells excellent teas. I usually buy a apricot and brandy tea.

Which Coach store? I remember back in 2000 when I went to Carmel a few times, there was actually a "Coach Factory" store in Carmel. This was back before you could find one at nearly every major outlet mall. Even though stuff was discounted, it still had a boutique feel. They were in upscale shopping areas like St Helena or State Street in Santa Barbara. This was also back when Coach prided itself on American manufacturing of most of its products. Now most of what they sell is outlet-only items.

Which Coach store? I remember back in 2000 when I went to Carmel a few times, there was actually a "Coach Factory" store in Carmel. This was back before you could find one at nearly every major outlet mall. Even though stuff was discounted, it still had a boutique feel. They were in upscale shopping areas like St Helena or State Street in Santa Barbara. This was also back when Coach prided itself on American manufacturing of most of its products. Now most of what they sell is outlet-only items.
Heck ya, it is on Ocean ave. I always have to go have a peek every time I go. Coming down Ocean blvd and you see Tiffany's on the left go up to the next block and it is on the right hand side of the corner.I can't afford Tiffany's, and they also have a Louis Vouton in the same shopping center as Tiffany and Sur La Table

I went in 2000 - the year Tiger Woods just won going away. People were trying to dump their tickets for the last round because there was basically no suspense. I went every day including the practice rounds. I still had a house in Silicon Valley where I kept a room and rented out the other rooms.

It's really odd from Monterey to Carmel around a major golf tournament. All the big hotels in the area require a full week booking, even though many don't show up until the official tournament starts. Crowds were light for the practice rounds. I cut my first day short and visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was really lightly visited. I was wearing a US Open cap I'd bought and was talking to an aquarium volunteer docent, who also had a US Open cap (she said she was a volunteer at the tournament too). She told me that visitation was really light because all the hotels rooms were being grabbed for tournament goers instead of the normal tourist crowd. Even once they got there, they weren't likely to visit the aquarium. I've been there on a normal summer day, and it is very crowded.

I also got to see the condition of the course get worse and worse. People were allowed to cut across the greens, and you could see the gradual yellowing of the grass at the designated paths. It was almost like watching the grass die at Wimbledon. I also took a guest to Pebble Beach the week afterwards just to visit the 17 Mile Drive and visit the Aquarium. There were a lot more visitors at the aquarium, and the golf course looked way different. The fairways were cut wider and the rough was no longer 8 inches.
We have a booking in Pacific Grove in August and it is so expensive and can't figure out why, trying to look up what is going on around town. But it doesn't look like much of anything. But we did manage to get a break on the rate. But still it is an ouch.

Heck ya, it is on Ocean ave. I always have to go have a peek every time I go. Coming down Ocean blvd and you see Tiffany's on the left go up to the next block and it is on the right hand side of the corner.I can't afford Tiffany's, and they also have a Louis Vouton in the same shopping center as Tiffany and Sur La Table

Yeah - I think I've been to that store, but it was a "Coach Factory" store back around 2000. I think I got a pair of lambskin gloves with a Merino wool lining for maybe $20. There wasn't much else I would have gotten there. Wasn't married yet and I'd already bought a really nice Coach handbag for my mom. That was way back when they had zero logo items, no "factory styles", and were priced really high. My mom had a habit of overloading her bag and the stitching would pop out. They used to get it repaired for free under their lifetime warranty. Then it cost $10 for return shipping. Then $20. Then they won't even take it in at a store and it has to be shipped to Coach at the customer's expense on top of return shipping costs.

I have only one thing from Tiffany, which is my wedding ring. Too scared to wear it except on special occasions.

We have a booking in Pacific Grove in August and it is so expensive and can't figure out why, trying to look up what is going on around town. But it doesn't look like much of anything. But we did manage to get a break on the rate. But still it is an ouch.

A couple of years ago my wife and I wanted to take our kid to Monterey after a company picnic at Gilroy Gardens. I was looking up prices in Monterey and the cheapest I could find was maybe $350 for a Super 8. I couldn't figure out exactly why, but then noticed it was Monterey Car Week. By the time we got there we saw a lot of tents set up with classic luxury and performance cars. We just stayed in Gilroy, and it was somewhat of an excuse for my wife to go shopping.

Yeah - I think I've been to that store, but it was a "Coach Factory" store back around 2000. I think I got a pair of lambskin gloves with a Merino wool lining for maybe $20. There wasn't much else I would have gotten there. Wasn't married yet and I'd already bought a really nice Coach handbag for my mom. That was way back when they had zero logo items, no "factory styles", and were priced really high. My mom had a habit of overloading her bag and the stitching would pop out. They used to get it repaired for free under their lifetime warranty. Then it cost $10 for return shipping. Then $20. Then they won't even take it in at a store and it has to be shipped to Coach at the customer's expense on top of return shipping costs.

I have only one thing from Tiffany, which is my wedding ring. Too scared to wear it except on special occasions.
I have bought from coach and never had a problem with anything I bought. I like coach but I like something else much better. I would wear my ring if I were you. That is what you bought it for.

A couple of years ago my wife and I wanted to take our kid to Monterey after a company picnic at Gilroy Gardens. I was looking up prices in Monterey and the cheapest I could find was maybe $350 for a Super 8. I couldn't figure out exactly why, but then noticed it was Monterey Car Week. By the time we got there we saw a lot of tents set up with classic luxury and performance cars. We just stayed in Gilroy, and it was somewhat of an excuse for my wife to go shopping.
They charge it because they know they can get it. But I needed a pet friendly hotel. Sometimes you just can't figure out what is going on for the stupid prices.

Thanks! I love tea! Is the Ocean Ave. Tea store near Tiffany and Vuitton? Those are my stores :) Is this Carmel you speak of or near Sarah Winchester House? While on my topic of Carmel - is this worth a stop too? We stayed in Laguna and Newport last summer and enjoyed it. Carmel is a place I have read about in books and always looked/seemed so nice to visit. is it worth the hassle of the traffic as technically I could fly out of SNA airport and go straight to San Fransisco avoiding the whole drive thing but missing Carmel and Winchester (though I guess I could drive from SF to Winchester). Basically I am renting a car, driving FOR Carmel....

In San Francisco I wuld highly rcmmend the Walt Disney Home museum. Beautiful site with great views and wonderful museum. In Carmel, if you have a car, consider the drive north up the Big Sur to Nepenthe for lunch or dinner. one of the most incredible views you will ever have. Probsbly about 45 min to an hour north of Carmel

Just as aside, it's the Walt Disney Family Museum, along with the Winchester Mystery House. Might be useful using mapping programs.

Remember to use the sites for anything you may want to do and see if there are discounts. I do know there are discounts for the Walt Disney Museum.

I went to the Winchester Mystery House when I was young. I think it was sort of cool. It's basically this mansion that was built by an eccentric woman. There's all kinds of weird architectural stuff like these doors that go nowhere and stairs that just run into the ceiling for no reason. I'd like to go back there one day to see what I think of it as an adult.

Carmel is a city on the coast of California just South of Monterey. Similar feel to Monterey but smaller. Not as many tourist attractions as Monterey, but very pretty if you like that type of scenery.

Winchester Mystery House is in San Jose. I wouldn't consider Carmel and San Jose near each other. I didnt look at the map, but I'm guessing it's about 1.5-2 hrs away?

Winchester Mystery House is in San Jose. I wouldn't consider Carmel and San Jose near each other. I didnt look at the map, but I'm guessing it's about 1.5-2 hrs away?

Correct but if I fly from Anaheim I could just go straight to San Fran instead I fly to San Jose to rent a car to spend time in Carmel to then drive the 2 hours or so to San Fran from Carmel. In theory I could land in San Fran and round trip in one day Sarah Winchester if Carmel not worth the stop but kind of looks like it is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter