Tent camping with milk

Momto2plustwins

Earning My Ears
We leave in 92 days! But I’m trying to figure out how we’re going to keep Lactaid milk cold for 5 nights. My twins go through three cups a day each, and I don’t believe it’s sold on property. We have limited space in our vehicle...there are 6 of us plus we’ll have our big tent and ten days worth of clothes/necessities/food. Should I buy a mini fridge? If so, any recommendations on one? Should I just plan on buying ice constantly? We’ll be there the first week of November if that makes a difference.

Hi Momto2!

I travel with and use an electric cooler (mine is from Coleman) that can both plug into a cigarette lighter (12V DC) while traveling and with the included 120V AC adapter can plug into the power post (or use an extention cord) at a campground with AC.

Here is a link: https://www.coleman.com/powerchill-40-quart-thermoelectric-cooler/3000001497.html

No ice to buy. It lowers the the cooler temp about 30-40F degrees lower than the exterior air temp and actually works quite well. But that brings up two points: in very hot weather (like 90F+ that we have here in Alabama), my "adult beverages" only get chilled down in the 50s. Still safe enough IMO for fresh food, meat, and vegs but I like my beverages in the low 40s, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, when night temps get cool (50F or lower), I have awakened to find slushy ice in my "adult beverage" cans because the low night temp coupled with the chill differential caused them to start the freezing process. So on cold nights I unplug the cooler before going to sleep (it will be plenty cold enough from the air temps over night) and then plug it in the next morning.

For a November trip to the Fort, you probably can leave it plugged in around the clock and be okay but you can manage it the way I said. I like buying most/all of my food at home and bringing it with me so I don't have venture to the local publix when I arrive in Orlando. Later in the trip I usually end up there (or walmart) though.

I also like throwing some diet Cokes and bottled waters in the cooler while travelling so I don't have to pay $2 a piece for a 20oz at the gas stations en route.

So that's what we use. We've had it for over a decade and it still works great.

Bama Ed

PS - I have also found that keeping the cooler in a shaded location helps keep things cool inside. Extended direct sunlight is not helpful to the chilling process.

PPS - I do have a small fridge in my trailer but this is my travel cooler while in motion and overflow cooler while at the site.

Last edited:
My dad just bought the same electric cooler Ed posted on a link. Since he retired again (at 87), he and his wife decided they wanted to travel. We were camping with them in Branson last weekend and his wife (whose only 70) said they are looking for a Class B MH, but wanted something to keep things cool in the car. There is a Colemen outlet in Branson, so they picked up one of these. The fine print says it will keep things 40 degrees cooler than ambient temp, so I don't think it would do well for long periods in a confined car in Summer, but while on the road, it should do great.

j

I always camp with boxes of milk and I saw Lactaid ones the other day. We use a box every morning but it really helps to only have to chill one or 2 at a time.

Can the kids take the lactaid chewy tablets? I use them when I want to eat dairy. If I remember correctly some of the food court type places carry lactaid milk in cartons.

I always camp with boxes of milk and I saw Lactaid ones the other day. We use a box every morning but it really helps to only have to chill one or 2 at a time.

are they the ones that you don't refrigerate until opened? Seen it for soy milk but not sure about lactaid.

You can also look into getting Garden Grocery to deliver...I THINK they will deliver to the Fort and you can pick it up at customer service (?)
But it may be so much easier to just get a little cooler, OR if it is just for the week, see if they like coconut milk, flax milk, etc because some of those come in tetrapaks.
We have a minifridge...and you still can't store a ton of milk in it, so you may have to buy more during the week anyway.

I would buy a mini fridge, we use ours when camping. Keeps food nice and cold with out having to worry about ice, soggy food or the ice running out!

This may be an absolutely ridiculous question, but I’m curious since I have read about squirrels destroying things to get to food... could squirrels get into a mini fridge?? I had thought about bringing one, but then thought it might not be such a good idea.

I’ve been at disney in November and it has gotten up to 85 degrees multiple days in a row. The plug in fridge, if it only gets to 40 below ambient temp, might not keep the milk cool enough. I would have a backup plan if you go that route.

We go camping every year at a lake and its remote camping so once they drop you off (we have to hire a boat) your'e stuck there. We usually go for 4-5 days. The key to keeping things cold is dry ice. You can either buy the dry ices chips or a block. We find that the block (cut in half) works best. You want the dry ice to be at the bottom of the cooler and then put the perishables on top, otherwise everything with freeze like a brick. We've done it this way for 15 years.

I’ve been at disney in November and it has gotten up to 85 degrees multiple days in a row. The plug in fridge, if it only gets to 40 below ambient temp, might not keep the milk cool enough. I would have a backup plan if you go that route.

Some what confused by this post. My fridge at home that uses the same tech is sometimes in 90+ degree weather over the summer and has no issues keeping stuff cold.

This may be an absolutely ridiculous question, but I’m curious since I have read about squirrels destroying things to get to food... could squirrels get into a mini fridge?? I had thought about bringing one, but then thought it might not be such a good idea.
It is a known fact that TiggerDad has trained the FW squirrels to do many things. If he trained them to open coolers, they will not be after milk.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter