Tent camping...in September...tips?

Artygal90

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone!

So this idea occurred to me when I was flying to the beach on Sunday and I can't get it out of my head.

DH and I just went to Disney/Universal for the first time in mid-March with my family. It was an awesome time but we only had 3 park days so it was go-go-go the whole time. At the end DH was stressed and exhausted and we still didn't get to do everything. I'm planning a May 2020 trip for my birthday, which will be very focused on seeing Galaxy's Edge and Universal, so it won't be terribly relaxing either. And I don't want to wait two years to go to Disney again....so then I got thinking about doing a super-relaxing week camping at Fort Wilderness, just focused on Disney stuff, while also taking time to go to the pool, explore other resorts, go to Disney Springs, etc.

Looking at our calendars and the rack rate for the campsites, it seems like sometime in September 2019 will work best for us because of the rock-bottom prices + the Halloween party. I know that Orlando will be very warm, very humid, and very prone to hurricanes while we are there. We live in a swamp (love ya Houston) so we are aware of how miserable heat and humidity can make things and we're not scared of hurricanes. I also plan on purchasing trip insurance!

Because this would be a budget trip, we'd plan to borrow as much special gear as possible or buy it used. We'd plan to pack everything within the 2-free-bag allowance on Southwest and not worry about bringing cooking equipment, just shelf-stable snacks like granola bars and PB for sandwiches. Also, I'd like to do a couple test runs in our state parks in similarly hot and humid conditions before flying to WDW to try it out, which is where your lovely advice comes in.

My questions:

1) Has anyone else flown in and tent-camped at FW in September?
2) What gear do we need? Currently I've got access to a Coleman Sundome 5 person tent, some tarps, and everyday stuff like extension cords, flashlights, rope, etc. Was planning to definitely purchase an air mattress/cot combo and bring sheets, pillows, and a light blanket from home for bedding, and either pack a few fans or buy a few when we arrive in Orlando.
3) If you fly in, how do you keep foodstuffs out of the hands of critters if you don't have a hard-sided cooler or a car to store your snacks in?
4) What's the best way to protect my tent from rain while still maintaining ventilation and without going out and buying a special rain shelter?

DH was a Boy Scout so I know he knows how to do a lot of this. BUT he gets stressed when I start planning trips more than a week in advance, so I'm talking to you about it! :)

Artygal90,

My initial reaction after seeing your thread title was, "My tip? Don't DO it! " :sad2:

< jk >

< kinda > :teeth:

We've had people fly in and tent camp and we've had people drive in during the hot summer months and tent camp (with portable air conditioners) but flying in during the hot summer months and tent camping is a combo I don't recall seeing (assuming no AC in your carry-on) too often. September is still a hot, wet, humid time as you say with daily rain quite common then still (you can almost set your watch by them). If you search on the key words "tent" and "fly" on the Camping Board, you will get some past threads. Here is one:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/back-from-fly-in-tent-camping-trip-to-fw.3605324/

A good tent should have a rain fly. You will need to move some air with a fan to manage ventilation any night whether it's raining/wet or not.

If you have a jar of peanut butter that's been opened, it will be hard to keep the squirrels out of it. Especially if you are gone in the parks for hours and they have time to get their buddies and canoodle a strategy. I would not mess with trying to bring food with you IMO. That would be one concession made to travelling at a cheap time of year (higher dining expenses). A "budget trip" means I guess you aren't renting a vehicle you could stash stuff in but relying on MDE and Disney transportation.

You might luck up on the weather and late in the month is better (which is more like October) than early in the month (which is more like August). So if you are set on going, go as late in the month as you can. Better yet, October is really nice once the daily rain stops.

Good luck.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Last September there was the hurricane, the Fort was closed. When it reopened it was stinking humid and hot, the mosquitoes were out of hand. We slept well, but having a RV and two AC units running made that easy. Having been in the military and having "camped" in the heat. No way.
I was hot and sweaty touring the parks, it was nice to come back and relax in a temperature controlled environment.

On further thought, it sounds like we should hold off on a camping adventure at the Fort. Or at least, try out our setup in our hometown this summer first, since it's almost a humid and hot as Orlando is in September. We may end up saving the same amount of money packing light, using a CM discount at an All-Star, and flying Spirit than paying full price for a campsite and flying SW. Thanks for the input everyone!

Something to remember for the future......September is the hottest most brutal month in Florida......especially inland like lake buena vista is. The breezes are too few, and too far in between......and you still have the afternoon lightning storms. I think you made a good call.

Fellow Houstonian here - I would only attempt that if I were driving and could bring gear for comfort - portable ac, cots, ice chest, etc. I think there is no way to do it with flying SW and 2 free bags. Plus SW from Houston to MCO is pricey!!! You could drive for the same or less (depending on your MPG naturally). We camped once locally when the kids were little in August because DD was pestering us to take her. We brought a little window unit and redneck engineered it to blow it into our tent. It's the only way we survived.

If you still want to try camping, some have shipped larger items to the Fort and then shipped them back home at the end. This would cut down the items for the flight to personal/essential things. Others have rented a car for the day or used Uber/Lyft to make a WalMart run and picked up items that they can't ship or will make "disposable". I've heard of a few people even buying a tent or awning at WalMart and then throwing it away when they leave. Not very cost effective, but an option to have larger things.

j

If you still want to try camping, some have shipped larger items to the Fort and then shipped them back home at the end. This would cut down the items for the flight to personal/essential things. Others have rented a car for the day or used Uber/Lyft to make a WalMart run and picked up items that they can't ship or will make "disposable". I've heard of a few people even buying a tent or awning at WalMart and then throwing it away when they leave. Not very cost effective, but an option to have larger things.

j

I have seen many a camper when I was working for a state park, buy a large tent, ez up, grill, etc. Use it once and throw it out, because they were from the big city and had no storage space in the apartment for such items.

We went camping at the Fort last September right after it reopened from Irma. Figured that we'd be fine since we're both experienced campers and Floridians...I swore by the second day that I would never camp in September again. It was so much worse than June/July, which I've done before. We didn't have an AC but did have a ceiling fan running. Love the Fort but won't do that again; Nov-April is so much better.

OK, you've been warned about it being hurricane season, so I'll spare you:). I have camped in a tent there and I prefer it to any other resort. (Obviously a camper would be better, but we don't own one). The campground is very well maintained, it's fun, and it's close to the MK.
Now, I've never flown into Orlando. I have flown to the Grand Canyon with full camping gear, but that was before 9/11, and before airlines decided to charge for luggage. I can't imagine doing it now. I'd want a rental car for trips to the grocery, unless you plan on only using the tent for sleeping. One of the reasons it was economical, and fun, for us was because we could cook a few meals, have an ice chest with food and drinks, and just kind of hang out before and after the parks. Plus, It's nice to have a car to lock some things away, though I've never felt unsafe, there are just some things I'd rather leave locked up. The bathrooms there are nice, but you'll need toiletries and towels.
So that would be my biggest concern, the logistics of getting all of that stuff there. But, I don't know how minimal you're willing to go. I like having an air mattress, and those aren't light. They not heavy, but airlines weigh everything. A pump for the air mattress, an ice chest, tent, a tarp for the ground, clothes, a towel or two, toiletries, electronics and chargers... I'm fairly minimal as far as camping goes, and it still is a lot to fly with. However, if you're willing to do it, than it is a nice experience.

I know this is not what you asked, but have you tried pricing off site hotels? Many of them are actually cheaper than the campground and have terrific amenities to make the trip relaxing.

View attachment 331453

Good Tarp / Good AC unit. LOTS of bug spray........ Did I mention Tarps? Lots of tarps.
What is the ac blowing into? Is there a window there? Or, did you cut a hole into the tent? The windows on my tent are high up. Plus, I splurge on my tents so I don't want to cut a hole into it (if that's what you have going on). Not to mention I camp in National Parks often and they don't have electricity, so I wouldn't always be able to use it anyway. I suppose I could somehow set it up in the doorway and figure out how to seal it off from bugs. I never camp in the summer because I live in the south and it miserable in the heat. But, I'd consider this.

Tent AC Unit.jpg Inside tent with AC .jpg
I customized the AC unit to have a round hole for the air to come through. I cut and sewed a round flange out of parachute material for the duct to fit into. so all you see is the hole sticking out. It will freeze you pretty good. the average temp the last time we used it at the Fort was mid 90 during the day. You needed a good blanket at night. Roughing it!!!

Last edited:
We have tent camped in Fort Wilderness, during the month of September, twice. The first time was quite cool and comfortable. The second time was extremely hot. Fans and AC units will keep you comfortable at night, but head for the cooled indoors during the mid-afternoon heat.

There really is no bad time at the Fort – just different time periods require different preparations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter