tent camping in February...?

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Am I crazy?!

I know the weather is unpredictable.

If we tent camp, we will be sharing a site with my family’s motorhome. So we could move indoors if it’s too cold.

I think it's easier to deal with cold than with heat while camping. Especially since you'll have a "backup", I don't think it'll be a problem. With good sleeping bags and maybe electric blankets depending on the temperature, I don't think it would be a problem.

I would love tent camping in February, Mom.

Looking at Feb 2017 temps, there were only two nights that got below 50F and the highs were all in the 70s or 80s. And February is in that low-rain period of late fall-winter-spring for Central Florida.

Do it!

Bama Ed

Yes, tent camping is great in both January & February. We have tent camped multiple times during the winter months. We do bring electric blankets & space heaters to help with the chill in the air. If not camping with small ones, you could do without. I would never tent camping the heat and humidity, but the cooler temps...YES!!!

Thanks, all! Anyone know if any of the premium sites allow a tent in addition to the motor home?
Yes, you can put a tent on a Premium site, but you will likely be putting it on pavement. The Premiums do not have the coquina (sand) pad the rest of the sites have. Some Premium sites have room at the back or side of the paved pad. My site (1404) last month did not.

j

The thing about Premiums is they don't guarantee a prepared space for a tent like the other sites do. Not everyone in the past has thought to ask in advance as you have and Disney has responded with a very conservative approach. It's not that you CAN'T put a tent on or around a Premium, it's just that it's not designed for that type of shelter.

So as Teamubr says, you may set up on the pavement. You may find a big enough spot just off the pavement to pitch your tent. IIRC The Rusty Scupper has said the Fort Check-In cast members have a resource that lists which Premiums "might" support a tent so it's worth asking at the counter.

I would also suggest that you call and have a note added to your Premium reservation stating that you also have a tent and give its size (10x10, etc.). Notes like that (and loop requests) are passed on with your reservation to your resort a few days prior to arrival and a campsite of your type is initially pre-assigned. But someone eyeballs those pre-assignments and tweeks based on requests and notes IF possible.

So help them help you by providing as much info like this in advance. Based on what is available for assignment the day you arrive, you may have to be less picky about loop or location in order to get a site that can more readily handle a tent.

Bama Ed

Yes, tent camping is great in both January & February. We have tent camped multiple times during the winter months. We do bring electric blankets & space heaters to help with the chill in the air. If not camping with small ones, you could do without. I would never tent camping the heat and humidity, but the cooler temps...YES!!![/QUOTE
I hope you don't mind a question. I see many references to electric blankets etc. Where do you plug them in? I thought the electric connection for the tenting sites was on the number post at the start of the driveway. Seems far from the tent site itself. Is there another outlet? Do you use a long extension cord. Maybe camp in an RV site?

I think it's easier to deal with cold than with heat while camping. Especially since you'll have a "backup", I don't think it'll be a problem. With good sleeping bags and maybe electric blankets depending on the temperature, I don't think it would be a problem.
ELECTRIC BLANKETS, WHAT A GREAT IDEA... I'VE NEVER TENT CAMPED EXCEPT IN SUMMER...

Good sleeping bags and a small ceramic heater are also a good combination in a tent. Just make sure the heater isn't obstructed. One advantage of the heater vs electric blankets is the heater can take the chill off inside the tent when getting ready for bed or for getting up in the morning. My DW and I have used this setup several times in the fall and winter and it worked well for us. hope this helps

I'm in the both camp! We would bring both space heaters and electric blankets. Yes, the heaters warm the air, but there's nothing more comfy than snuggling into a nice heated bed after a big park day on a chilly night.

I'm in the both camp! We would bring both space heaters and electric blankets. Yes, the heaters warm the air, but there's nothing more comfy than snuggling into a nice heated bed after a big park day on a chilly night.
great thought. thanks

We used flannel sheets on our air mattresses when there in Feb. but the wonderful person camping next to us in his motorhome had a little ceramic heater that he was not using and asked if we wanted to use it. It was nice to have to take the chill from the inside of the tent when waking up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter