Temp sensitive at WDW

s3058

Mouseketeer
I’m going to be traveling with a party that includes a number of disabled guests. I’ve just been informed that one of these guests is temperature sensitive. They get nerve pain when exposed to heat or cold for more then about 20-30 minutes at a time. This is obviously not ideal for Florida!

Is there anything that anybody can suggest to help? I’m at a bit of a loss here. We have a pretty strong hand held fan, a cooling towel and I’ll bring a heat pad for if they get cold but does anybody else have any advice for this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also we won’t have a DAS as the disabilities are mobility related but we do have a number of able bodied people who can switch out if needed.

We have a family member that is unable to regulate body temp - she knows what she needs to do in advance and what to bring for cold/hot weather. Off hand I know she uses a cooling towel, loose fitting hat and sun protective clothing in hot weather. In cooler weather she carries hand/foot warmers as well as a warm hat, gloves and moisture wicking socks. She also finds layering the most effective.

We check the temps and plan the day with appropriate breaks for ac/heat and make sure we limit outside lines when its hot or cold. The last time we traveled together was in August and she went to GR and got a DAS for a "shady wait" for her immediate family and she only used it for lines that were completely outside.

I use Omni freeze zero clothing and I love it I am cooler on long sleeve then in short sleeve. This along with fan and cooling towels work best for me

This is the type of shirts I wear from Columbia I really like them and wear them all the time at Disney ( sunscreen burns my skin so I have to have long sleeve on)

Also you can try a DAS but just remember your need to say way the person needs to wait outside the line and not in line and also know there is a good bit of walking just to from things too. ( where you will be out side. ).

Oh another thing I do is I have a sun ( UVA) umbrella ( hats trap to much heat in for me) that I use when walk g around out side. ( and use commonsense and do not use it in really crowded area.

Last edited:

I agree with @gap2368 - I have a parasol (that I bought in World Showcase years ago... it's starting to really show it's age!) that I use for direct sun, and I wear UV resistant clothing, take cooling towels, and fans, etc. for the heat.

Remember that every QS (Quick Service restaurant) will give you as many cups of free ice water as you want; keeping someone who is temperature intolerant hydrated may help them feel a bit more comfortable.

Obviously, they will be shade-seeking; remember that if they need to cool off and rest, every one of the Parks has a lovely First Aid Station where they can lay down for a bit if needed.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but the temperature-sensitive person will need to take a certain amount of responsibility for themselves. There is only so much that can be done to mitigate the Florida heat and humidity; after that, it will be incumbent upon them to realize that they may have to do WDW a bit differently. That may include strategies that focus Park time early in the day, before it is hot, and later once the sun starts to go down, when the air begins to "cool" a bit, and there is at least no direct sun baking everyone. Most people who are temperature-sensitive already have some coping strategies for their daily lives; it may be that you need to discuss what they use normally, and then "expand" on that.

One final thought: Depending on the time of year when you travel, there is a stretch from very late December to probably late January where it can get downright *chilly* at night - especially if you are near the water, and that breeze hits. When you use a mobility device and it is cold, you actually get kind of a "wind chill" effect from the movement of your chair through the air. In the "wintertime" in Florida, I am typically freezing while the rest of my travel party (who walk) are, at most, a bit chilly. I combat this with mittens (with all fingers AND thumbs inside the mitten), long pants, warm blankets to wrap around my legs, nice thick socks, long sleeve jackets with hoods to pull up, and a scarf around my neck. I know I must look like a crazy person, but I don't care.

I hope you all can figure out a good solid plan in advance - it will be less stressful for all, I'm sure! 🙂

Oh another thing I do is I have a sun ( UVA) umbrella ( hats trap to much heat in for me) that I use when walk g around out side. ( and use commonsense and do not use it in really crowded area.
Oh! You might want to check Amazon for umbrella hat. This assumes that you can handle tightness around your - not heat, just tightness. The advantage is that it leaves your hands-free. It still protects your head face and shoulders.

You, too, mamabunny :)

Oh! You might want to check Amazon for umbrella hat. This assumes that you can handle tightness around your - not heat, just tightness. The advantage is that it leaves your hands-free. It still protects your head face and shoulders.

You, too, mamabunny :)
It is also the tightness too so that would be a no for me. If the area is too crowded for the small umbrella then I cover my head with my cooling towel. I do have a Columbia wide brim hat I sometimes use at home ( it has vents around the edges of it that I might bring with me the next time I go to Disney the only problem ( and with the umbrella hat) is I also need over the ear protector and can not have both on at the same time.

We use cooling clothes, a wearable fan and a clip on fan, a constant hydroflask of ice water, if you have a stroller or wheelchair going take a cooler of cool wash clothes that can be put on the back of neck or wrists to help cool. Loose ice isn’t allowed but you can put ice in ziplocks and it’s fine. Table Service character meals at lunch so we aren’t out in the heat of the day but it doesn’t feel like wasted time, umbrella for constant shade, air conditioned shows also in the middle of the day. Stay till close because the nighttime are usually cooler 😄

I get heat stroke easy so when we went during the summer we planned mid day lunch and always had 2 full waterbottles and the cooling towel and fan. When I didnt feel good we just waited in a store or found a bench outta the way to sit for a bit.

I agree with the cooling towels and free iced water. PP mentioned that air conditioning can be too cold, and I agree. Sometimes the temperature change can be too drastic and make me nauseous.

I just wanted to add that carrying an umbrella is difficult for me, so I use a sarong instead. It's thin enough to be cool and can be used as my own personal "shade". I personally don't consider using an umbrella hat, because I'm short and scared of constantly poking people.

My son has heat issues. We tour around shade. For instance, in MK we start the heat of the day in Tomorrowland where there is a lot of shade and air conditioning. We move around the park as the temputure cools. We also rest during the heat of the day in restaurants and ride air conditioned rides during the hot portion. We do outdoor rides during the evening or early early in the morning. We also go shade to shade in AK. At Epcot, we divide the park into 2 days keeping to a single side in order to avoid the heat as much as possible.

We also go through stores to get through the parks while staying in the air condition. We have a large cooling cloth we lay across my son stroller back and one for his neck. He has a hat designed for keeping cool. He has a sun shade and a hand held misting fan. We also have several fans for his stroller. We stop ever hour or so and refresh the cloths. We also have travel cups that keep liquid cool so that he always has a cool drink.

Temperature changes can be an issue. I shocked his system once by drapping his neck cloth over his neck while in air condition. I just didn't think.

The other thing we do is let Cast Members know if find ourselves in a situation where the heat is an issue. They offered some common sense options that have really helped.

Thank you all for the tips. We will definitely be trying them out :) we aren’t doing a ton in the parks so hopefully moving some stuff around so that we can so it in the cooler times, and then using the towels, umbrella, hats, etc, will help.

Be aware that even on the hottest days it may be freezing inside an air conditioned place. Especially a restaurant that has just opened.

Yes, there are some places that have brutally cold AC, and it can be even worse if you are sweaty or wet at the same time.

I'd plan on avoiding the parks in the middle of the day if you are going when it's super hot out. (Does it say when you are going?) Evenings are nice down there in June, July, August.

I thought I’d update in case anybody else needed the info.
I went to guest services in Hollywood studios when we arrived for EEMH and discussed it with them. The CM was very helpful and thought the DAS would suit our needs best. We only used it on the millennium falcon which it was great for as the FP que is mostly inside so temp controlled but the regular que snakes outside into the sun.

we also took some of the great advice here. We headed out to the hotel after HS and then to the party once it had cooled. There was no issues at all and it was great.

I thought I’d update in case anybody else needed the info.
I went to guest services in Hollywood studios when we arrived for EEMH and discussed it with them. The CM was very helpful and thought the DAS would suit our needs best. We only used it on the millennium falcon which it was great for as the FP que is mostly inside so temp controlled but the regular que snakes outside into the sun.

we also took some of the great advice here. We headed out to the hotel after HS and then to the party once it had cooled. There was no issues at all and it was great.

So all the other queues were fine? Even ones at other parks?

So all the other queues were fine? Even ones at other parks?

Yeah, mostly. Although we didn’t really ride a lot. In HS we did toy story mania, aliens and millennium falcon.The first 2 were walk ones and MF was the one we got a return time for.
Then at the party we did the people mover, the tea cups and small world and they were all walk ons. Small world temp changed very drastically from the outside so I would say that was a little more difficult but it didn’t stop us riding it.

Yeah, mostly. Although we didn’t really ride a lot. In HS we did toy story mania, aliens and millennium falcon.The first 2 were walk ones and MF was the one we got a return time for.
Then at the party we did the people mover, the tea cups and small world and they were all walk ons. Small world temp changed very drastically from the outside so I would say that was a little more difficult but it didn’t stop us riding it.

Did you use FP for anything? If not, why not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter