Temp Angencies?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
Can anyone share details and advice about working for a temp agency? I'm looking into using one and have no idea how the process works. Are there better agencies to use? Things to look for? Things to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I worked for one for a few years. I worked for Robert Half. It led to 2 full time jobs, so it was good for me. I actually think it's a great tool to get work experience and get your foot in the door. Once I got hired out, my salary increased significantly because they paid me what they had been paying the agency, which was about 25% more than what I was making from the agency.

I worked for Robert Half in 2007-2008. I had a chance at a job turning full time, but I ended up pregnant with my oldest and had no daycare. I had no issues working with them. I was in receptionist and basic accounting positions.

I've gotten jobs through temp agencies a few times, Express Employment, Apple One and the last one was Account Temps. They had a job, I went on the interview and the company decided to hire me outright. They paid a fee to Account Temps to hire me on the spot. Just don't let any of the agencies try to talk you into a job that doesn't sound good to you. I did that twice, and never again.

Generally you won't see much in benefits from a temp agency. You'll only get paid when you work. You can register with multiple agencies, that may help you find a job - plus you'll get a feeling for each individual agency. A lot of companies use temp agencies or consulting companies to find people to hire (temp to perm is how the position is usually described), but don't count on a temp position becoming permanent, sometimes they never get around to creating the in house position, or you are a fine fit as a temp, but they choose to go elsewhere to hire, or you decide you can do better elsewhere.

What kind of agency depends on what kind of work you are looking for - some specialize in accounting or IT, some in general office, some in manufacturing. Some are generalists or have divisions for different kinds of work. Temp agencies who place skilled workers are generally called "consulting" or "contracting" agencies. (I run one where our clients pay us $140 an hour for IT developers)

Be flexible and ready to work. Go into it with a good attitude.

After I graduated from college I was working for a business my family had but it wasn't full time. I went through a temp agency that had a position 2 days a week. After a couple of months they wanted me 3 days/week. They kept giving me additional work and responsibility. They then wanted me to work 5 days/week 40 hours. I was eventually hired by them. That temp job lead me into the career path I have today- 30 years later.

We have used temp agencies for temp to hire as well as to fill in for mat leaves. We've hired some of the temps we've had and some we couldn't hire in our dept but ended up applying and were hired by another dept. It's a good way for both you and the company to see if you're a fit. You obviously won't get paid as much as the company is paying the temp agency and you won't get benefits but it's a good way to get some experience.

Just wanted to mention that many temp agencies offer their temps benefits. The one I worked for did.

Just wanted to mention that many temp agencies offer their temps benefits. The one I worked for did.

Agree. It was several years ago now, but I worked for Kelly Services and qualified for benefits. I don't recall the specifics, but I think I had to work a certain number of hours within so many months and then maintain a certain number of hours going forward. But since I mainly took long-term full-day temp assignments (8 hours per day, 5 days per week, same position), that was easy enough to accomplish.

Thanks so much for all of the help! I'll have to do more research on which agencies in our area might work best. I already have excellent coverage through my husband's employer, so that won't be an issue.

Been there done that a lot, without settling into any permanet positon.

Nothing prevents you from working with more than one agency. But if you do that then you need to make it clear to each agency that they will need to describe the job position and the company location to you first and to not submit you to a client company without your permission.

If two agencies submit the same candidate to the same client for the same position, the client will almost always toss both resumes in the trash.

And of course the agent needs to describe the days and hours you will work.

Most agencies treat you as an employee of them, and withhold taxes. A small number of agencies treat you as an independent contractor without withholding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!