tell me what you think

Mama2jasminANDcaitie

Mouseketeer
I am an obese person.. who while exremely mobile is in a LOT of pain after a few days in the parks. Tell me what you think about my renting a EVC a few days into our trip? My feet just cant take all that walking.

What do you think people's reactions would be to my driving the thing up to an attraction and getting in line? I wouldnt want to offend anyone.. and I sure wouldnt use the EVC to any advantage other than saving my feet.

If you had to carry over 300 lbs for miles and miles youd hurt too!

A lot of people in your situation use wheelchairs. Plus, there are plenty of other "hidden" disabilities that require wheelchairs; people wheel up to a ride and get off and into a line. I wouldn't worry about what others think, anyway. It's not like you will be cutting them off in line, or running them over!

i say do whatever it takes to take care of YOU. and not worry about what others think.

I look healthy but use forearm crutches and/or scooter. you would never know i have mobility difficulties unless spent the day with me and when get tired begin to stumble even more.

the walking is good for any of us so using a scooter when needed and then having one for those other times, go for it.

oh and if someone gives me that "eye" or makes a comment, i just tell them i will trade my scooter for their legs. that usully shuts them up <G>

Rent the ECV. Who cares what others think- take care of you. It is tiring enough without pushing yourself too hard. That can lead to other problems and ruin your vacation. Not worth it at all just to save yourself some "looks" from rude people.

You, and the people you are with, know your problems and needs. Having an ECV will make the trip more enjoyable for both you and all members of your group.

Most people will not say or comment. If they do, these are people you don't know and will never see again, so why care what (if anything) they think.

On occasion I have (sweetly) told people that I would be more than willing to give them my ECV if they will also take ALL my physical problems. Usually they become VERY embarrassed.

If renting a wheelchair or ECV makes your trip to Disney enjoyable and keeps you out of pain, then use one.

Luckily my plantar fascitis which causes severe foot pain has healed and didn't effect me this trip to WDW. However a few months ago I would have opted to have a chair to save some steps.

SO I encourage you to get a chair if it will help you enjoy the trip!

I agree with the others - it doesn't matter why you will be in pain after walking. If an ecv can help you to avoid pain and get thru your trip, then you should take advantage of it.
Anyone who thinks you are using one to get some "advantage" has never traveled with anyone using an ecv or wheelchair. In most cases, the lines are wheelchair accessible and you will be waiting in the same line with everyone else.
So, the biggest "advantage" is that you will be able to get thru the park without using all your energy just to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter