• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me I did the right thing.....

I am just pointing out that when I am out with Chris (who is usually in a special needs stroller- its obvious) it is RARE that someone will let us go ahead in line even if the handicapped accesable stall becomes open. We wait our turn and then some for it to open up again :rolleyes:

Now THAT is bad behaviour!

I guess some people just don't think though (about the fact that there is only one stall for you to use and loads for them to use, and how they will prob. only have a few more seconds wait even if they let you go ahead, etc.).

alisonbestford said:
The arguement concerning so-called 'hidden' disabilities is age old and consistant the world over :sad2:
DH (34) recently wrote to our local newspaper in response to a young woman (19) who had been repeatedly accused of using someone elses disabled parking badge as she wasn't in a wheelchair etc and obviously didn't need it :rolleyes:

This annoys me-and it annoys me the most when my grandmother-who is disabled-passes judgement on those who don't "look" like they need it. I always remind her of my mom-who had several bouts of cancer before her death in '99-that "looked" ok but needed that handicapped placard.

as for the Companion Bathroom-I would have never figured that they were for disabled people only. We have so many of those types of bathrooms by us in malls and other places, I assumed that, like in those placed, they were family bathrooms. I am sorry if I took one up without knowing. :blush:

As for the handicapped stall-99% of the time we use the regular stalls, we only use those stalls if a) DD has to make a BM since she needs help steadying on big toilets or b) it is dead do we use them. DD has some borderline sensory problems so sometimes the bathrooms can be a traumatic experience for her so we actually perfer the smaller stalls-I don't know she says the smaller ones are "less loud" :confused3

When I flew earlier this year, I let a woman with a child in a wheelchair in front of me at the airport because the handicapped stall came available next. I wouldn't think to do it any other way, really. Unfortunately, like VSL said, if I can not "see" something outward that they would need the stall, then I will go use it. But if you asked me if you could cut ahead because you needed the handicapped stall, I would gladly hand my spot over. But I think that is because I have had experiences with those without "visable" disabilities and I don't think a lot of people would be this way. Shoot, just today someone pushed past my grandmother who walks with a cane to get to the front of the line to be seated in Dennys! :sad1: Sadly, I think sometimes people have that "me first" attitude and see a handicapped or someone who is slower as someone to pass by rather than respect.

I think it should be left up to the best judgement of the person using the restroom. If they need it for a good reason, who are we to judge?

atatamanukaH said:
I think it should be left up to the best judgement of the person using the restroom. If they need it for a good reason, who are we to judge?
I doubt many here would question that sentiment. I think the original intent was to educate the public. Common sense can not be legislated. I think people need to realize those over-size stalls and rest rooms came about to accommodate folks with needs. If you have the need and not just a convenience issue by all means use them. Life is full of inconveniences. I live with them everyday.

Nanajo1 said:
I doubt many here would question that sentiment. I think the original intent was to educate the public. Common sense can not be legislated. I think people need to realize those over-size stalls and rest rooms came about to accommodate folks with needs. If you have the need and not just a convenience issue by all means use them. Life is full of inconveniences. I live with them everyday.
::yes::

Recently we were at the Daytona NASCAR Race

Bathrooms were at the bottom of the tower except for 4 handicapped restrooms. A sign said handicapped bathrooms- please allow handicapped users to access the front of the line.

As an OT and wife of a w/c user I watched to see how it worked.
Their was typically a long line BUT w/c users had no problem being granted front of the line access.

Only w/c users and one family member was allowed in the elevator and it was a LONG walk down and up to the top of the tower.

I think the sign was a good compromise -- I'd like to see more unisex individual bathrooms places so that companions needing assistance, families and handicapped people can all meet their needs!

Linda

i would like to add my cents here and just say don't be so quick to judge when we are not sure of what is going on, i went last year and my dtr was in the bathroom with me, someone had to wait around 20 minutes and she had a huge attitude when i came out, now i was glad to shre this with her but it was none of her business, but she made such a big fuss and felt like a well not so smart after, i had surgery and something was left inside me, so i had around 12 holes throughout my tummy area that needed to be packed with gauze, now once my shirt is pulled down you cannot tell anything, so when i came out of the restroom, she had something to say, i pulled up my shirt and gave her a peek and she shut up. My point here is i know not all people use the companions for the right reasons, but try not to get to upset without knowing for sure, now if someone is just in there and should not be, i would be upset too,

I've always wondered about those companion bathrooms. Didn't really know who they were for.

I know that I've felt guilty myself using the handicapped bathrooms at Disney. Often dh takes ds(11) on fast rides and I get the toddler. When I have to go to the bathroom and dh is not around, I'll take the stroller and go into a handicapped one that will fit both me and the stroller. Unfortunately I go to the bathroom often since I had surgery. Also, since the surgery, I don't have much warning before I have to go. I just get horrible cramping pain and I better find a restroom quickly. When dh is with me, it doesn't matter since he'll have the kids and I can use any stall. It's just when I have the toddler that I need a restroom large enough to fit the stroller.

dislvr75 said:
OK, it looks as though I'm going to be in the minority here, but here it goes. As far as I'm concerned its all about access. I have a disabled son, so I'm speaking from experience. If a child has to go and the bathroom is empty, anyone should be able to use it. Just like the GAC, it doesn't mean no waiting in any lines, its about access. If someone uses the handicapped stall in the bathroom because it was available, then fine, use it. Those bathrooms were designed for accessibility, not for no waiting at any time. If folks want to be treated like everyone else, then if there's a line, you gotta wait like everyone else. It's not about by passing a full line of people just because the handicapped stall is free. Anyone should be able to use it.

I totally agree with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter