Tell me about the Harbor Club childcare at the Boardwalk

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are going to Disney in Oct. with my nephew,who will have just turned 5 two weeks before. We are DVC members at BWV. I have read lots of things on here about the different childcare options. Most people seem to have 2 or more children, so they have a built-in friend at the clubs. My nephew would be alone.

Specifically talking about the Harbor Club - are all the kids just "loose" in there, free to play with what they want, or is it more organized? It says the ages are 4-12. Has anyone ever taken a 5 year old and the club was full of all 10 year olds? Do the CMs play with them, or are they just there to supervise?

We would only leave him there about 3 hours so we could go to the comedy club at Pleasure Island. Since the Harborclub closes at midnight, what are your experiences with getting back, via Disney busses, by midnight? What time did you leave? I know we've waited on buses for 30 min. before. What happens if you get back after midnight, or are running late?

I also read on here about Fairy Godmothers, but thought he'd have more fun with kids his own age. He'll be with just us for 8 days, so needs some interaction with other children. Also, the Fairy Godmother's seem so expensive.

What is your opinion/experience? Thanks!

My daughter was at the Harbor Club during our 2000 visit. She was 7 at the time. Age range of kids seem to be between 5-9; there were between 8-10 kids that evening. Children were not running around and had the option of various supervised activities.

I'm not sure if certain of the child care clubs are prone to having younger children. My daughter reports younger children, age 4-5, at Neverland Club (April 2002) and Grand Floridian Mousketeer Club (August 2001).

I can't answer your question about bus service from Downtown Disney back to the Boardwalk, but would suggest you consider taking a cab to ensure returning by midnight.

BORING!!!!!!(but she loved the neverland club)-She says the video games weren't very good and the food wasn't very good and not much to do. (she's VERY opinionated!:rolleyes: )There were other kids there-It just didn't have the magic:earsboy: of the neverland club. BUT if he has nothing to compare it to......

My kids agree - they think the club at the Boardwalk is boring. The room is very small and there just aren't as many activities to keep them busy. Also the night they stayed, there were only a couple of other kids in the club with them.

BUT, they LOVED the Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club. It's right across the lake with a nice huge room and very friendly counselors. My son loves all the video games and my daughter likes all the activities and crafts they offer. Plus, everytime they've stayed there (3 times now) there's been about 10-12 kids of assorted ages to play with. They always ask if they can go back there. :D

I wish they would keep the clubs open later because we always feel like Cinderella turning into a pumpkin trying to get back by 12:00am. If we are leaving the area we always drive ourselves so we don't have to depend on bus transportation. If you're not going to have a car I would definitely plan on budgeting for a cab to get you back there in time.

Have fun!

I always seem to find myself posting just after BethC to back up what she says! LOL:)

I took Beth's advice and booked my kids into Sandcastle even though we stayed at BWI. After peeking into the small room at Harbor Club we were so glad we did. My kids were 9 and 6 and loved Sandcastle. They thought it was fun, good food and great to be off their feet for an evening. There was a wide range of ages and the staff seemed to accomodate all of them.

My DS was 10 the last time he went there and he likes it. They kind of let him alone after he eats to play the video games. There have always been younger children there and they all seemed to be having a nice time in coloring and playing games and watching Disney films. One time we had to give DS an extra hour because he was not ready to leave.

Thanks everyone. I think we'll check out the different clubs once we get there. Maybe we'll try the Sandcastle club and my sister and I will just go to Jelly Rolls and/or Atlantic Dance. I've always wanted to go there, but haven't been yet. I know he would love the Neverland Club, too. We might do that on one night, too, just for 2 hours so we can have a grown up dinner.

Does anyone know the time minimums for the clubs? Do you have to pay for 2 hours, or can you just do one hour? Do you pay when you drop off or when you pick up? Also, do they charge for fractional hours or only full hours? Like he stays 2 hours and 25 min., does that cost me 3 hours worth?

Thanks.

I don't believe there are minimum hours.

You pay when you return to pick up your child. Accepted payment: cash, credit card or charge back to your room if staying in a Disney Hotel. Currently, the rate is $8 per hour for all of the clubs.

The child care clubs charge for fractional hours.

I believe the Sandcastle Club has a 4 hour maximum, but I don't know of a minimum. My boys liked the Harbor Club, and they had Neverland to compare it to. It is, however, much less elaborate than NC. They liked it because there were only 2 or 3 other kids there and they never had to wait for a video game!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter