Tell me about fuel rods

So I can get one when I exchange I assume I pay agin​

What do I do at the end of my trip with the rod

When you buy the FuelRod, it comes with free exchanges forever. There is no cost to exchange, only if you want to buy more. So I would save it and bring it back for your next trip.

It also has a USB port on it, so you can keep using it day-to-day. It doesn't hold as much electricity as other brands of batteries, but you can still recharge it yourself and use it even when you're not at Disney.

The FuelRod company hopes to eventually have exchange kiosks in more places, like shopping malls and airports. However, right now that is still early. The most convenient exchange is at Disney World and Disneyland.

When you buy the FuelRod, it comes with free exchanges forever. There is no cost to exchange, only if you want to buy more. So I would save it and bring it back for your next trip.

It also has a USB port on it, so you can keep using it day-to-day. It doesn't hold as much electricity as other brands of batteries, but you can still recharge it yourself and use it even when you're not at Disney.

The FuelRod company hopes to eventually have exchange kiosks in more places, like shopping malls and airports. However, right now that is still early. The most convenient exchange is at Disney World and Disneyland.

Wow that is so cool

I bought one of these on my spring trip and have actually continued to use it here in Canada. I plug it into my computer to charge it. I used it yesterday to boost my phone on a car trip. I will switch it out when I go down in November.

My DH actually bought two Booster Juice packs at the local electronics store before we left for the airport... they are essentially the same thing as Fuel Rods - they are rechargable through both USB and a car adapter! Now nobody worries about charging phones or tablets, we just always are charging one of the extra packs :)

He is happy to hear that there are Fuel Rods in the park - one less thing to show security! LOL

Their a $5 portable charger that you pay $30 for and can get nearly one full charge on a phone per fuel rod charge. What you're really paying for is the convenience to be able to just exchange them inside the parks/hotels and not worry about recharging them yourselves.

If you plan ahead of time for that same price or cheaper you can get yourself a lot stronger portable charger that will provide more phone charges before you need to recharge and some can charge multiple phones/tablets at once

Before I went to Disney based on recommendations from Dis I almost bought them, then I did research and found out there was only ONE exchange location in my entire state. It was only at the airport. I then found out the Fuel Rod is only good for one charge, when you can buy ones that are just as expensive that hold enough charge to charge a standard cell phone three or more times.

Since I go on weekend camping trips a lot this became a no-brainer. I bought a charger at Best Buy that is water proof, and shock proof and could charge my cell phone 3 times for less then I would have had to pay at the park for the Fuel Rod. It worked fine while at Disney, I used my phone until about 20%, plugged it into the charger and within about a 1/2 hour the phone was fully charged and the charger still indicated it was over 1/2 full. Only had to do that once even though I used it a lot with MyDisneyExperience, both checking wait times, getting new FastPasses and doing the mobile ordering.

If you go to Disney a lot and don't want to worry about having to charge things at night they are fine, if you want anything that is useful outside of Disney for more then one charge, then you might want to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I love that this service is offered at WDW and Disneyland, but I would never plan to use it. It gives me peace of mind knowing that a charging option is available if I ever need it and forgot (or didn't want to lug around) my bigger battery.

To me, $30 for unlimited exchanges would definitely be worth it in a pinch. Much better than wasting time sitting in front of an outlet or going back to my hotel room.

I bought Darth Vader fuel rods on clearance at Best Buy for 4 bucks each... got all 3 they had left. Gave one to my BFF and have 2 for myself to bring on our trip next week. Don't think I will want to use the exchange because ours are really cool DV logos :)

I had battery issues with my phone and was so happy to have the fuel rod option on our last trip. I must have exchanged that thing twice a day!

........... I bought a charger at Best Buy that is water proof, and shock proof and could charge my cell phone 3 times for less then I would have had to pay at the park for the Fuel Rod. It worked fine while at Disney, I used my phone until about 20%, plugged it into the charger and within about a 1/2 hour the phone was fully charged and the charger still indicated it was over 1/2 full. ..........
Just curious what brand did you get at Best Buy? How many mAh? and the price? Lots of people have purchased on Amazon, but I would like to actually look at it and see the size.

I am really considering using these on my trip in October. It is nice that when you need a new one you can just exchange it.

just back from 3 weeks at WDW....DH bought a fuel rod the second day we were there and used and exchanged them throughout the trip..
he was very happy with the service...

Last edited:
I have a bunch of chargers at home, but am thinking of getting one. I'm hoping the phila airport will have one cheaper than disney. We are going to disney with family, that's 4 or 5 phones plus several mini fans that also charge by USB. I recall someone saying they don't wait until their phone is low to recharge, the keep the phone plugged in and drain the fuel rod, so when ever they pass a spot to exchange, they do.

Too many stories of "I thought I had the phone charging over night but someone unplugged the charger, it wasn't connected right, I forgot to recharge the charger".

Just curious what brand did you get at Best Buy? How many mAh? and the price? Lots of people have purchased on Amazon, but I would like to actually look at it and see the size.
The one I bought was by Pocket Juice. It is 5200mAh and came already charged (of course whether it is totally charged will depend on how long since it shipped from factory, but ours was fully charged.). It was 19.99

I think the value of Fuel Rod is the ability to swap. I have had mine for about six months. I am at Disneyland at least once a week, and I have swapped mine about 30 times. For me it was money well spent.

If you aren't going to swap it often, then there are definitely cheaper/higher quality battery options available.

Melissa

The one I bought was by Pocket Juice. It is 5200mAh and came already charged (of course whether it is totally charged will depend on how long since it shipped from factory, but ours was fully charged.). It was 19.99
Thanks! I think that's the one I already have!

Had my own battery pack. But get the Fuel Rods in the airport if you want them. $20 at airport vs $30 as Disney.

I still don't understand what a fuel rod is. Can someone tell me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter