Tell a DIS Vet Where to See IllumiNations

samsteele

DIS Veteran
I've always had good intentions to stay late in Epcot to catch Illuminations but being a rope drop person, I usually get dog tired and cave and leave before the big show. I have to fit it in this year before it is gone.

Where is the best non-FP, no-dessert party spot to watch Illuminations?

Ideally, I'd like to be closer to the exit to get a jump on the bus back to my resort. However, I know some have suggested getting a good spot in Italy and just hanging back for a good half hour or longer until the first wave leaves the park.

What works best? What has worked out for you?

I've heard about Japan's patio. Rose & Crown ADR. What is the best non-ADR, no strings spot to watch Illuminations?

I think it's best to not plan on a specific spot -- there are tons of places, but the direction of the wind is the major factor in which ones are good. Just wait until about 45 minutes before the show and find an upwind spot with a clear view of the center of the lagoon.

Our last two trips we have been right by the fence in front of Japan. Pretty much right in front of the shaved ice place (which we get one as they are delicious!). We have not had to get there too early to get right at the fence. Then, we let the crowds dissipate a bit and slowly meander out. You get to see some of World Showcase pretty much empty and it is very cool! By the time we get to the bus lines, they have pretty much cleared out.

I think it's best to not plan on a specific spot -- there are tons of places, but the direction of the wind is the major factor in which ones are good. Just wait until about 45 minutes before the show and find an upwind spot with a clear view of the center of the lagoon.
Exactly! I got an ADR at Rose & Crown one year and was so disappointed when all the smoke poured over us. Not the best location then! And then there was the year we staked out a spot in Germany, only to miss the 4th of July display on the American Pavilion! There are just too many factors for us to plan for, so now we just enjoy the show from wherever we are about 1/2 hour before.

Our last two trips we have been right by the fence in front of Japan. Pretty much right in front of the shaved ice place (which we get one as they are delicious!). We have not had to get there too early to get right at the fence. Then, we let the crowds dissipate a bit and slowly meander out. You get to see some of World Showcase pretty much empty and it is very cool! By the time we get to the bus lines, they have pretty much cleared out.

Is there anywhere to sit in that area and still be in the first row at the fence? What time would you look for a spot for 9 pm Illuminations?

The wind definitely plays a major part in picking a good spot. My favorite spot is Italy, as I have often seen the wind direction either send the smoke to China/Norway of the UK/Canada area. If I was to pick another area I would suggest the area between Mexico and the shops at the entrance to the World Showcase.

Reminds me of one time a long while age when the ex and I were enjoying a view of Illuminations from the Mexico area. The smoke was being blown towards our left. I looked over at her and said " I bet I know what they are singing in Germany." She looked at me, slightly confused and said "What?". My response - Smoke on the Water, Fire in the Skies! Whoever the guy beside us was, he burst out laughing at that moment. :tongue:

Anywhere around the lagoon that's in the opposite direction from where the wind is blowing that day. But you have to watch because with EPCOT always having a festival now (small exception when it doesn't) the kiosk set ups make it harder to find a spot.

During the past four or so years I've seen Illuminations from all the private event venues located around the lagoon at least 300 times. As expected, they all have a good view of the show, but the best view is at the Illuminations FP viewing area and at Mexico Vista, which is where the FEA dessert party takes place. Out of those hundreds of viewings, the smoke was an issue less than ten times. I guess we were just lucky those 300 plus times.

Germany is quite a good spot to watch from, on a good night & assuming both shows are running at the same time, you'll be able to see some of the HEA fireworks from the MK at the same time.

During the past four or so years I've seen Illuminations from all the private event venues located around the lagoon at least 300 times. As expected, they all have a good view of the show, but the best view is at the Illuminations FP viewing area and at Mexico Vista, which is where the FEA dessert party takes place. Out of those hundreds of viewings, the smoke was an issue less than ten times. I guess we were just lucky those 300 plus times.
Averaging 6 visits a month, I have to assume you think the dessert parties are worth the money lol
i have never done one but am considering it for Illumination's farewell.

**Commented pre coffee lol Also, very jealous of this job**

Last edited:
Two of my favorite spots are the little landing by the bridge between the UK, and France (this sometimes is reserved for groups) or near Germany, there is a little area of the promenade that juts out into the water. There are often tables there where you can sit. Which way I go depends on wind direction, and on whether that spot by the bridge is being used for a group or not.

Of course, given the opportunity, I'll get a 7:30 ressie for Rose and Crown, and at check in, mention nicely that I would love to have a seat on the outdoor patio. While that is never guaranteed, I can't readily recall ever not getting the outdoor seat.

Two of my favorite spots are the little landing by the bridge between the UK, and France (this sometimes is reserved for groups) or near Germany, there is a little area of the promenade that juts out into the water
Agree. If the landing is reserved, the bridge between the UK and France is usually good. Althought, to get a good spot, you often need to be there about 30 minutes before it starts.

You said no FP, but if you're able to get a 4th (or 5th, etc) FP+ for Illuminations late in the day I'd go with that. You get a great view from there and it's so easy to get out ahead of the crowd. The area is sloped, so you can see perfectly even from the back.

I like between Norway and Mexico or on the Canada side pretty much directly across.

I think my favorite spot I’ve ever had was on the boat cruise or of course the private illuminations that the Dis put on a couple years ago.

I thought about it as soon as I hit enter but didn't want to dirty edit lol

I still maintain that a great view of 290/300 parties is a solid party recommendation.
there's only 1 dessert party location at Epcot, the rest are private parties that people/corporations book and that's why Fastpasser was speaking in plural there.

Anywhere towards the back. Afterwards, take a seat and relax. After the crowd dies down have a leisurely walk out. One of my favorite times. We take a lot of pictures with the kids with no one around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!