Teens & Wisdom Teeth Removal

Just an FYI, but for kids who need to have their wisdom teeth removed. I would strongly suggest that the parents look into the delta dental plan for their state. In particular, the dental insurance plan that would be in compliance with the Affordable Car Act. My 15 y/o son's estimate was about $2,700. I called Delta Dental of Iowa, just on a whim really, and the CS person walked me through it. Maximum out of pocket for kids on these plans is $350 and there is no waiting period. The monthly premium for just my son was $43. Certainly worth the phone call..

I have had many discussions with my dentist and we have agreed to leave them alone unless the get a cavity or cause issues. There are real risks to any elective surgery. Not to scare anyone, but did you know removing wisdom teeth can damage your optic nerve causing permanent blindness? There is a documentary out there that I saw once about it.

Many kids have mouths that are too small for their wisdom teeth these days - humans are just evolving that direction. Calling it "elective" surgery with the insinuation that you can just ignore it until there is a crisis is misleading. (I'm not picking on your post, I know others have also said the same thing.) Leaving them alone until there is a problem can actually result in a much bigger issues down the line. Mine were partially impacted, but that was nothing compared to the mess DD had going on. The bottom ones were at a crazy angle because there was NO room for them at all and were going to quickly start pushing her other teeth around. (The dentist hates dealing with cavities in even her regular teeth because her mouth is so small.) And while the uppers hadn't dropped yet, it was also clear to anyone who saw the xrays that there wasn't going to be any room for them either.

Yes there are risks to the surgery. There are also risks to not having it in many cases. So listen to your dentist, and get a second or third opinion if you feel the need. Research your dentist/oral surgeon out the wazoo to make sure they are good. But don't take advice from an internet message board on this one :)

Last edited:
DS is 21 and twin DDs are 19 and havent had them out yet. I was hoping to get it done this summer but got stuck helping my mom out instead. DS's are bothering him now. He goes to dentist Monday and we hope to get referal to surgeon and do it soon. DDs' are not bothering them yet so maybe next summer. I was 22 and DH was 24 when we had ours out.

Mine didn't need to come out until I was early 20s. My 19 year old still has his and has never complained. Why would military require them to come out?

Usually they don’t. I had to get mine taking out when I signed up for marine security guard. It’s a requirement. You can go to a place that doesn’t have good dentists around.

Usually they don’t. I had to get mine taking out when I signed up for marine security guard. It’s a requirement. You can go to a place that doesn’t have good dentists around.
I see so it's to prevent an emergency coming up that would interfere with your service. I guess I kind of forgot how bothersome they can be when they come in.

Last time my son went to the dentist he went by himself. I asked him today if the dentist mentioned his wisdoms teeth. He said he did. He mentioned theyvwrrent coming in so nothing to do for now.

My oldest had his out last summer when he was 16. All 4 were impacted and 3 were going sideways, pushing on the other teeth, which wasn't good because he has already had braces. He had it done in the oral surgeon's office, and I don't remember how much it was but we only had to pay $50.

Just an FYI, but for kids who need to have their wisdom teeth removed. I would strongly suggest that the parents look into the delta dental plan for their state. In particular, the dental insurance plan that would be in compliance with the Affordable Car Act. My 15 y/o son's estimate was about $2,700. I called Delta Dental of Iowa, just on a whim really, and the CS person walked me through it. Maximum out of pocket for kids on these plans is $350 and there is no waiting period. The monthly premium for just my son was $43. Certainly worth the phone call..

You got great service. We have Delta Dental of Maryland and THEIR interpretation of the Affordable Healthcare Act has put them at odds with many of my co-workers Andour Corporate Director of Health Benefits says Delta is in violation of the contract as to what benefits they will pay. I have had a denial of benefits appeal pending since last year. I doubt I will ever see my $80.

What age did your teens get their wisdom teeth removed?
My own wisdom teeth started coming in immediately after high school graduation ... while I was away from home working as a camp counselor. My kids all had their wisdom teeth out junior year of high school (shortly after the braces) ... each one was scheduled during a school break, and if that's your plan, go ahead and schedule NOW ... those are prime times.

I teach high school, and I can tell you that LOTS of high school seniors have theirs out. It happens that way for a couple reasons: High school seniors are "just the right age" for their wisdom teeth to start hurting ... many parents fear that their kids will go away to college and their wisdom teeth'll start hurting, but they'll be far away, and they won't want to miss college classes ... and a lot of kids go off their parents' dental insurance at 18 or high school graduation. Lots of arrows point towards senior year being "the time".

Mine didn't need to come out until I was early 20s. My 19 year old still has his and has never complained. Why would military require them to come out?
I think the military is afraid that they'll send soldiers out to the field, and they'll suddenly develop problems with their wisdom teeth. It can happen, and no one wants a solider to be "off his game" for any reason.

I only had the bottom two and had them out when I was 23 or 24. None of the dentists I saw were concerned until they started bothering me, once that happened I had them out within a month or two.

None of my kids have had the dentist mention a need to remove yet. Rather, one of my kids is missing an adult tooth, so may need braces, but may need to keep any wisdom teeth she gets b/c she's not gonna have enough adult teeth.

I'm 39 and still have one of my baby teeth, there wasn't an adult tooth to replace it. The root is still strong so there's no reason, aside from some very minor crowding, to remove it and deal with an implant etc. It's on the bottom and my top teeth are fine so it's not noticeable unless you look directly down from the top and aside from my dentist no one does . This is often what's done, did her baby tooth still fall out? I guess I don't understand why she would need wisdom teeth to make up for not having an adult tooth unless it fell out.

I still have all 4 of mine and I am 45. Many of my neighbors are having their kids pulled this summer before they go away to college in case there are issues. I wouldn't do that personally. My daughter is 14 and 2 of hers are growing in sideways (I saw the x-ray). The dentist and orthodontist recommend having them out within the year. The orthodontist said because the bones are still flexible and it will be an easier procedure to have it done soon. Since there is an issue with them I will have it done. She is very scared and is dreading it so I'm not sure when we will do it, maybe winter break.

I had 2 of mine removed in my 30's my wife still has all 4.
If the teeth are pulled by a dentist then it will fall under dental which mine did but I have insurance and it was very inexpensive.... I did have the option for an oral surgeon which would fall under Medical not dental being it is surgery. Most people (everyone I know of anyway) that had to have everything from this to a post for a cap choose the surgeon as it fell under Medical and was far cheaper.

I had mine out in college (so more than 15 years ago). It did require sedation and surgery as they were impacted. I want to say it cost around $1000 AFTER insurance (I knew I needed it around 18, but I had to wait until married and on DH's military dental insurance)
Anyhow, I can see why people wait. I also know people who just didn't need it done until later.

Last edited:
I had 2 of mine removed in my 30's my wife still has all 4.
If the teeth are pulled by a dentist then it will fall under dental which mine did but I have insurance and it was very inexpensive.... I did have the option for an oral surgeon which would fall under Medical not dental being it is surgery. Most people (everyone I know of anyway) that had to have everything from this to a post for a cap choose the surgeon as it fell under Medical and was far cheaper.
Mine was done by an oral surgeon but was most definitely not covered under medical.

I got mine out after senior year, right before college.

My husband still has his. He has been in the military for 20 years. He has been told a couple times he "can get them removed if he wants, but it's not necessary." My kids are 13 and 15 and it hasn't come up for either. I thought most people got them out around age 18. The jaw continues to grow during adolescence and not everyone needs them out. Many people keep them. I had a tiny mouth, so they had to come out. I only have 24 adult teeth.

I got mine out after senior year, right before college.

My husband still has his. He has been in the military for 20 years. He has been told a couple times he "can get them removed if he wants, but it's not necessary." My kids are 13 and 15 and it hasn't come up for either. I thought most people got them out around age 18. The jaw continues to grow during adolescence and not everyone needs them out. Many people keep them. I had a tiny mouth, so they had to come out. I only have 24 adult teeth.
My son's dentist always says he has good jaw spacing. And as of now, he is 20 now, he still doesn't need them out. It's weird because his lower teeth are crooked but the top ones are straight, like mine are, but the dentists never said he needed braces. I think as long as he keeps them clean in between its not an issue.

My son's dentist always says he has good jaw spacing. And as of now, he is 20 now, he still doesn't need them out. It's weird because his lower teeth are crooked but the top ones are straight, like mine are, but the dentists never said he needed braces. I think as long as he keeps them clean in between its not an issue.

Yep, my older son is like this. He has some crowding on the lower teeth, but he hasn't yet gone through his growth spurt, even though he's is 15. His dentist is confident that once his jaw grows, his crowding issue will be easier to resolve with braces, and he thinks he won't need his wisdom teeth removed. He has a pretty large lower jaw. Right now, it's just a lot of flossing and using a waterpik to keep things clean.

My younger son, on the other hand, inherited my tiny mouth, and although he doesn't have bite issues or crooked teeth, he will likely need his wisdom teeth out.

Get your kid's wisdom teeth out as soon as it makes sense to do so.

I didn't bother when I was a child and when I was 21 they were impacted and became infected. Normally, this wouldn't have been too bad - but I was onboard a nuclear fast attack submarine in the Persian Gulf region at the time. Unable to surface and having only a corpsman onboard, they were removed - with a pair of pliers and without any significant anesthetic other than a few Tylenol 3's with codeine.

This was not a fun experience.

I had mine out when I was 24 I think. That was a fun little trip because I was darn healthy, no problems whatsoever but I got a new dentist who wanted panoramic Xrays so he did them... and he came out with them saying he'd never seen anything like them before! I had eight wisdom teeth. Nothing was impacted, no issues but... EIGHT! The surgeon said it was a wonder nothing was wrong with them. It was two each top side, three lower left and only one in the lower right. I still have them in a jar somewhere and the family joke is that I'm some kind of shark.

Zombie thread, but my DD20 is getting hers out over winter break. I was in my mid-20's when I got mine out.

My son was told he needed his out (I wish I went to the appointment instead of my husband to get the details). Insurance is covering the cost EXCEPT anesthesia is optional. So my son chose no anesthesia other than novacaine. He has an extra wisdom tooth, so I am going to call back and pay for the anesthesia. I get that we stress we need to watch money/make choices, but to me this is one of the times it is fine to spend money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!