Techies with Asperger's? Yes, we are a little different...

As an adult Aspie who works in IT I have to say that I'm practically the opposite of the person who wrote the article. The author doesn't seem to understand that every Aspie is different. We all have social, sensory, and obsessive compulsive issue but our issues do not necessarily present the same way. I can see what he's describing for suggestions as working for some Aspies and it's great advice for those who have those particular issues. I would hate for people to think that his suggestions are exactly how to deal with all Aspies.

IMO, everybody needs to speak up to those around then if they need something of people. If something is too vague for me, I'm not shy about asking for clarification. My DD15 does the same. We don't stress out when presented with vagueness. We just keep asking pointed questions to get the clarification we need. In our minds, there's no anxiety about this because it's just logical to clarify things. My bosses over the years have never had a problem with this because they know that they'll get exactly what they want from me when they want it and have encouraged others to do the same. It just makes sense. Frankly I pretty much never have work related anxiety because I compartmentalize so easily (it's just logical).

I'm actually a really good organizer because my mind works so logically. Any time I've worked in a position requiring time management of projects, others, etc. I've always gotten accolades. I'm really good at breaking things down into the super small pieces that make up the overall high level project, task, whatever and tiny tasks are very easy to estimate and then just add up. It then becomes a giant puzzle or game kind of like Tetris to fit the tasks together among the various required resources. It's pure logic which is what my mind works with.

Some Aspies thrive in the environments the author described as being difficult. I'm one of them.

I do hope that the author's advice helps some people. He does offer some very good advice for those who work with people like him.

Each of us who are Aspies adapt, face challenges and utilize our gifts in our own ways.

Unfortunately most of us stay in the closet, at least to some extent. Only when each of us are able to openly acknowledge our genetics without discrimination will these situations as noted in the persons experience fade into history.

Goodness, that was a dreadful bit of whining for an article, IMO! I can't stand the 'do it this way because I have Asperger's Syndrome' mentality. That's rarely going to happen because there are few jobs out there that do that for anyone, no matter what issues. We can't go around making perfect little "Aspie Jobs", unless we go around and make perfect little jobs for everyone. People with Asperger's Syndrome need to work on adapting just like everyone else, and they should be learning coping skills as they are growing up. The schools shouldn't even be given the entire burden for that either - let's toss some of it back on the parents, please? Or on the person with Asperger's Syndrome, if they are all so special and amazing, etc.

What I believe is that each person is unique, as clanmculloch stated. I won't believe any more generalized manifestos about Asperger's Syndrome, and what people with this syndrome can or cannot do. My approach will be to find out what each individual I work with can do, what he has difficulty doing, what he needs to be able to do to be as independent and productive as possible, and give him the tools he needs to be successful. And I promise that none of them will involve avoidance techniques!

I believe I was wrongly diagnosed at age 9. Aspergers seems to match my antics and personality more. Any suggestions on getting reevaluated?

If you are an adult, the value of a formal diagnosis may be limited, and finding a highly competent clinical team to do a high quality evaluation at this point is very difficult.

We are within a couple of years of being able to broadly scan for the genetics, so if you do not have needs beyond what can be managed with your own self awareness, then it might be worth just waiting for the genetic scan verification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter