Teaching Teen Daughter to Cook,What Musts???

tink2dw

Pixie Dust or Bust!!
I am teaching my daughter to cook 1st week she learned how to cook frozen dinners and order out,2nd week Hot dogs,boxed Mac and cheese,to boil frozen Vegi's, instant rice,how to fry Hamburger.3rd week frozen thawed chicken,dipped in egg,and bread crumbs cooked in oven.[by the way the chicken turned out GREAT!!]

What now?? What must knows, should she have??

How about:

- Simple casseroles, like tuna noodle.
- Stir fry meals.
- If she likes fish, cook salmon steaks with a lemon butter topping.
- Salads like carrot & raisin, pasta, three bean, etc.
- How to cook an egg, different styles.

Baking

- Cookie making, chocolate chip is probably easiest.
- Brownies from scratch.
- Boxed cake mix prep
- Homemade buttercream frosting or sugar glaze.

This a great idea. We have been doing this with our 12 yo DD. We have her pick out what she wants to cook, she has to check to see what is needed from the store, make a list, then she shops. We have picked Wednesday for her to cook. She has made Planet Hollywoods Captain crunch chicken, German food, mexican food. We tried to make it fun by having theme nights. She reads the recipes and then tells us what she is going to do. She has learned alot, and become a good cook. Good Luck to you.
Have you thought about getting one of the new Visa cards that is especially for teens, you put so much money in and thenits theirs. Thats our next project for her, we hope to teach her how to budget her money.

She should know how to cook rice (unless you do instant) and make mashed potatoes. Give her a cookbook that has the cook times for each different kinds of vegetable.

She should also know how to cook a whole chicken, from washing it off to covering it with foil before it burns. Knowing how to stuff it correctly is also good.

Techniques are more important than recipes, except with the very basics. Have her make food that is baked, sauted, browned and then baked, broiled, simmered, etc.

i'm going to have to second the mashed potatoes. back when i was first learning to cook, i was also doing my regular babysitting job. one day, the mom left a meal for me to heat up.... including making mashed potatoes. i had NO idea what i was doing and HOLY COW it made a MESS lol. :)
another that i don't think i saw mentioned would be pasta, spaghetti and meatballs or something similar.
also, when i was in college my aunt sent me a whole series of cookbooks with LOTS of pictures. not just a "finished product" photo but it included pictures of each step in the process. some of the stuff was too fancy for a beginning cook but it really did help.
have fun i hope your daughter enjoys cooking as much as i do! :)

I started teaching mine to cook much younger...step dd age 11 has been helping me cook since she was about 5, and dd age 3 wants to help every night. You should see the three year old try to crack an egg!

Anyway, don't forget to teach them the difference between wet and dry measures. They also should learn the difference between different types of cooking--poached, braised, broiled, baked, sauteed, etc.

They need to be able to attach a name to the activity.

Tink --

Sadly, your daughter now knows as much about cooking as I do!! :o

Thank goodness I'm single, and my cats have pre-prepared food. If any other living creature had to rely on me for their sole source of nutrition, they'd starve (which makes me wonder why I'm not starving by a long shot, but that's another story ...)

Donna

As a newly wed 23 year old I just want to congratulate all parents, grandparents, friends, family, WHOEVER tries to teach their children or teen the basic life skills. I was lucky to grow up with these skills and 4-H. My younger siblings 20, and on her own at college, 12, and 9, all are being raised this way also!!!
Both boys and girls need these skills. I have so many friends, and such that have no idea how to cook, clean, budget money, etc. These teens/adults will eventually live on their own! My husband (yes, still in training) now cooks dinner occasionally, helps with laundry and dishes, and is able to help with anything!!! He is teaching me how to do little things on my car, with tools, etc. These things are so important!!! (Checking oil, changing tire, etc.) Sorry this was so long, but if kids are given chores, or just the opportunity to cook, help mom with laundry, learn to budget money, they will become confident and independent as young adults. You will be so proud of them!!!

. . . AND learning how to iron. I taught my DH in college how to iron his shirt. His mom had always done it for him. I am starting to teach my kids how to press things now. I prefer not to have to iron, but everyone should know how!

Most kids like to make banana or pumpkin breads. How about how to fix a roast? That is an easy stand by.

I think this is a great idea and not just for daughters. Sons who move away from home could starve to death! ;)

My sister taught her sons not only how to cook, clean and do laundry but how to sew. Her son actually made extra cash at the dorm by sewing buttons on and renting out his sweeper!

I totally agree...it is so important to teach kids (boys and girls) basic "home ec" skills. A lot of home ec type classes aren't offered anymore, or our kids aren't taking them. I saw Marth Stewart on Oprah and she showed how to fold sheets and towels and the audience was "shocked" and nearly gave her a standing ovation. I was wondering if I was the only one that knew how to fold a sheet? Has anyone seen those cooking magazines called "Taste of Home" "Quick Cooking" they even have a new one called "Light and Tasty" These have some good recipes, a lot of them use few ingredients, and would be a great resource for a beginning cook. I love to cook, all types of food, but I still find myself using the magazines alot. They would especially be great for newlyweds, college students etc... My daughter is almost 8 and she helps me a lot in the kitchen. We set the table together, she does all the measuring for baking and knows the difference between dry and liquid measure. I'm so proud :D

Have a great day!

My youngest daughter and I used to make banana bread together when she was little and without my looking one day she drew several pictures on my recipe card (a loaf of hot bread and a few other things). I remember being a bit upset at the time because she had "messed up" the card. I still have it (she's 30 now) and wouldn't part with it! The card is filthy but whenever I make banana bread, it reminds me of those baking days together.

My oldest daughter used to frustrate me because she never followed directions and made quite a few flops. However, she is now a very creative cook and I can see where her "experimenting" really paid off.

Signed,

Mom of two excellent cooks

My DS, 14 loves to cook. He used to sit right up on the counter throughout his early years chopping and stirring.
Now, he is a wonderful cook. He watches the a lot of cooking shows, such as good eats, Iron Chef, Emiril etc. He teaches me things.....I'm not kidding.

His fav. things to cook(right now) are chicken marsala and philly cheese steaks.

He also does all the Holiday Baking.....unsupervised, I'm lucky if he lets me help. He spends 2 days in the kitchen before a holiday baking up a storm. He really enjoys it.

So, keep on teaching them along side of you. If they show an interest in the love of cooking they will persue it on their own.

Happy Cooking Kids!

I'm 34 years old and I can't make gravy or cornbread from scratch. It has to come out of an envelope. Isn't that sad! My mother and grandmothers were great cooks and I, too, am an excellent cook but the art of making these 2 things are lost on me. I guess it was so basic and they did it from habit instead of measuring that no one thought to teach me. Oh and not only should your child learn to cook a chicken but to cut one up. I want my chicken cut up in the "country style" of 2 breasts and the pulley bone. When I go to the store, even the meat dept hasn't a clue what I mean. I wish I'd have learned myself because I always have to call my mom to do it.

Just a few thoughts,
Cheryl :bounce:

I think teaching your children all the basics is a wonderful idea. My mom never taught me. She much preferred no interruptions while she was in the kitchen. Everything I do, I've taught myself.
I had to look up exactly how to boil eggs. lol Me and pork chops still don't get along. :D

I'm a Home Ec teacher and I'm going to print this out and put it on my desk!

Basic skills such as measuring correctly and basic terms are a great start. In my home life I'm a dumper but I really stress correct measuring to begining cooks. Once you know how to do it correctly you can relax and you know if the measurement looks right.

The Betty Crocker cookbook is a good basic book that gives equivlents, terms, and demonstartions of basic techniques.

PM me if you would like a few fun easy recipes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter