teacher discount--question on proof

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I cannot find my copy of my teaching certificate. I only found an old one that expired in 98. I now have a permanent certificate--I know I used it in February to get a discount on my computer but don't know where that folder is now.
Here is my question--the school district has their copy of my certificate on file. If I copy that, will it be accepted? They will not let me have the original.
Robin M.

It seems that is your only option. However, to back it up bring a pay stub and/or letter from the principal on school stationary. I worry about things like this and always try to cover the bases. When I checked in, the front desk person questioned me as to why there wasn't a picture ID on it. She said she had never seen a teaching certificate without one. MA certificates do not have a picture on them, I explained to her. I brought my original and she wanted to keep it. I politely told her that was an original and she was most welcome to copy it but could not keep it. She said that was alright she didn't need a copy. You never know what glitches might occur once you are there. That's why I feel you should bring back-up proof.

Thanks for the info! I'll bring my teacher ID as a backup just in case--Ohio certificates don't have pictures either. But why would I have a teacher certificate belonging to someone else with MY NAME? Oh well. My picture ID says "Clay High School staff" nice and big.
Robin M.

Asking why it didn't have a picture ID on it didn't make sense to me!:confused: I could have proved it was me by showing my drivers license. I can't imagine how a state could photo each person who applies for their teaching certificate. Besides, there is a state seal on the original. I must say that this person who checked us in was not all that pleasant. Not that she was rude, she just wasn't "warm and welcoming". This happened at the "preferred guest" check in desk. All other Dolphin CM we encounter during our stay were wonderful.

Just reread your post and it got me thinking... Maybe the Dolphin CM was looking for the school ID which usually has a picture on it. My school does not issue one of these.

When I checked in at the Dolphin I didn't show them my teaching certificate. I showed them my school picture ID and my state teaching association membership card.

FYI: North Carolina teaching certificates do not have pictures either. Mine looks like a certificate that could be printed on a computer; of course, it also has an embossed seal that would be pretty hard to duplicate. And -- like most businesses -- our schools issue photo IDs, which teachers are required to wear at all times.

Rockn'Robin: I asked the same question by phone, & was told (by more than one CM) that a copy is acceptable, but of course I would be safe and bring an ID too.

kelljacques: I aked that question too. They said they don't care what you teach, but you must bring your state certificate. In my state (IL), you do not need to be certified to substitute-teach (even full-time) in public schools. Made me wonder if they would accept ONLY a school ID.... ?? (I'm still bringing both to avoid any possibility of disappointment!)

BTW, when I check the ressie I made on-line, next to the discount it says: "Id Required (Paycheck Or Other Id)" (copied directly from the page.) As I said, I was told by the front desk that I would need my state certificate, but it sounds like they might accept only a paystub or ID. If you can't find your certificate, maybe you could check your reservation on the S/D website, and print it to show them the requirements as written above.

Good luck in any case!

Alabama certificates don't have pictures either and I teach at a private school with no ID's. Anyway, I didn't want to take my original, so I made a copy and took it. They never asked for it. I took it out and started to hand it to the man, but he said "Oh, that's okay." But, I'd still rather be safe than sorry and take it.

We are going to Disney in December. I have an annual pass and got my room rates with that. I am also a teacher and was not aware of this discount. Is the teacher discount a better deal? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks for the info.:D

WDWSuperfan ~ Teacher rate is $129/night. You can book up to three rooms with this rate. I don't know AP rates. However, I thought I read on some other thread that the teacher rates were better than AP. Hope this gives the info you need to compare.

kelly ~ I believe that if you bring a letter of employment on school stationary from the director of the preschool and your pay stub with the name of the school on it it might suffice. I would call the S/D directly to check on it and don't forget to get the name of the CM that you speak to if he/she okays it. Bring that name with you when you check in - just to avoid any hassles or disappointments! :cool:

Robin,
How about taking a set of ungraded papers with you and plopping them down on the counter when you check in???

Seriously, when Epcot was doing the year of the teacher (years ago) they accepted just about anything. I'm pretty sure I used a pay stub and proved it was mine with my driver's license.

Have a great time. I'm jealous.

Julie

WDWSuperFan:
The teacher discount is only for the Swan or Dolphin. I don't think that was mentioned in this thread and since you're new you may not have known. It is a better rate than the AP rate at those hotels.

NY does not have a picture either. When I checked in they asked where the expiration date was. (NY didn't have an expiration date when I received my certificate.) I told the person that and they said fine. I think because every state is a little different they accept different things from different people. It was very easy at checkin.

Mouseteacher and Praise2Him:
Thank you for the info. We have reservations at the Wilderness Lodge this trip. I will keep the discount in mind for the next trip. I have heard so many good things about the Swan and Dolphin. Have either of you stayed at the Wilderness. What did you think? Thanks.:)

WDWSuperFan ~ Sorry, can't help you. I've never stayed at WL athough we have visited the lobby and grounds to see. It was certainly beautiful.

I'm an educational aide and when I called Swan/Dolphin they said they would need my union card and a picture id.

The teacher's rate is for people currently employed as a teacher. Your teacher's certificate only means you are licensed to be a teacher, not that you are currently a teacher. We were told that we would need a school ID (one that ID's you as a teacher and not just "Staff"), letter from the school system, or other proof that you are currently employed as a teacher. They told us on the phone my wife's certificate was not enough. Our proof wasn't required to include a photo. But they may have wanted a driver's license with photo to match the name on the "proof". I say "may" because they didn't ask for proof when we checked in.

Well what I think I'll do is take a copy of my certificate, my photo ID, and pay stub. My ID says "staff". Julie, if I don't move my rear end I'll have some papers to grade--I have to do 17 term papers by the day before we leave so I can put midterms in the computer!
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter