TDR during Obon Festival in August?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
So it's just our luck that the August week we are at TDR will be during the Obon Festival which I've read is a week to avoid due to massive crowds (so bummed -- I knew summer was busy but of course we have to be there during the worst week). Unfortunately I can't change our dates as we are on a cruise that begins in Singapore and ends in Tokyo so there is no wiggle room. I am hoping to be able to a book a Disney Hotel for our stay Aug 14-17 (right now I have the Sheraton reserved as a back up) so we can at least get the early entry. Has anyone been during this time and can share their experience? I don't know when we'll be in Japan again so it's not I can leave TDR until next time. I just need to know what to mentally prepare myself for.

So it's just our luck that the August week we are at TDR will be during the Obon Festival which I've read is a week to avoid due to massive crowds (so bummed -- I knew summer was busy but of course we have to be there during the worst week). Unfortunately I can't change our dates as we are on a cruise that begins in Singapore and ends in Tokyo so there is no wiggle room. I am hoping to be able to a book a Disney Hotel for our stay Aug 14-17 (right now I have the Sheraton reserved as a back up) so we can at least get the early entry. Has anyone been during this time and can share their experience? I don't know when we'll be in Japan again so it's not I can leave TDR until next time. I just need to know what to mentally prepare myself for.

I don't think I've gone during Obon but I have gone in August and have gone on many busy days (New Years Day, Golden Week, Spring Break, etc). With early entry, you'll have to check the TV to know when it starts and want to be at the gates well before then. Plan to purchase Premier Access for any ride you can't get on during this time and consider a priority.

During busy times like this, they potentially make all the shows lottery only rather than allow free seating for the first (or last) show of the day. Assuming you don't purchase a vacation package which I think currently requires a Japanese address to send your stuff to, there's a chance you won't be able to watch any shows other than the parades. Avoid eating at peak times but still expect to potentially see 1/2 hour waits for snacks. Some rides that normally have negligible waits near closing such as Nemo, 20K leagues under the sea and Winnie the Pooh are likely to still have 1/2 hour waits and possibly even close their line before park closing. Don't be surprised if waits for popular rides get into the 3 hour range. But it's likely all of them will have some points in the day when the waits are under 2 hours. If you're only in the park for two days, you won't get to do a lot of things so pick the ones that are priorities.

I've noticed that post-pandemic, Japanese people seem more willing to use single rider than pre-pandemic so you can use that for those rides but the wait may still be like 1/2 an hour.

For booking your Disney hotel, know exactly what type of room you want and be online at 11 am Tokyo time three months out. The reservations go within minutes even for not-busy times. You have no time to think about hotel, type of room, etc; you just have to grab what you can as fast as you can.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter