TDR 2 day trip report

I love reading your review because we are doing so many of the same things on our trip!

Did you did the hakone circle route?
Yes we got the Hakone Free Pass. Left Kyoto and got to Odawara in 2 hours. Bought the 2 day free pass there and did the circuit.
We did half of it that first day then back to the ryokan to enjoy the onsen and relax. Then did the full circuit the next day.

Definitely worth staying overnight in a ryokan. Super relaxing and it also gives you 2 days to see Mount Fuji. Day 1 was blue skies and sunny. Day 2 was overcase and couldnt see Fuji. So always good to have 2 chances!

That’s awesome! Dh is the more adventurous eater out of us two so I did plan some meals at American chains for myself lol. But he got to plan some Japanese meals as well

Stick with Japanese food. You can do it! One of my kids is SUPER fussy and i was worried he would ask for burgers and stuff the whole time but he loved the food and we had Japanese every meal- so much variety

Here are a few of the things we did.

Tokyo- A Happy Pancake (recommended highly. We went to the one in Shinjuku at 945am - for a 10am opening and were first in queue
Ichiran Ramen. Best ramen ive had- and the experience/process is fun. We went around 515 and had to wait 15 minutes
Pokemon Centre (big one in Ikikeburo). Kids are into this - we also went to ones in Kyoto and Osaka.
They both played Pokemon Go whilst walking around. They hadnt played for 2 years but got into again in Japan and there are so many locals playing. Kept them entertained as there is a LOT of walking in Japan.
Free walking tour of Meiji Jingu and Harajuku. Entertaining and good to get some history and info. Harajuku is fun but CROWDED. At 9am was empty. By midday was wall to wall. Lots of interesting dessert stores there
Conveyor Sushi- kids loved ordering and seeing the dishes come flying on the belt to us
Lots of walking and checking out gacha machines, crazy stores, 7/11s!, VR places
Robot Restaurant as mentioned above
Department store food- fun seeing $250 watermelons!
TeamLab- must do!

Kyoto
Did a cool E Bike Tour we found on Air B n B. Made a break from walking
Nishiki market- great food and samples
Fushini Inari- we did a hidden hike tour on Air b n b. Recommend to get away from the crowds
Philosphers Path was beautiful
Fire RAMEN- google this. So much fun

Went to a baseball game in Osaka- atmosphere was awesome. Singing, dancing, beer! (And we dont really like baseball but worth seeing a game)

Hiroshima. Musuem was interesting and my kids got into it which surprised me. Liked learning a lot.

Miyajima. Beautiful island. Deer were fun. Good snacks and food. We did this and Hiroshima as a day trip from Kyoto.

Hakone- amazing views of Mount Fuji. Stayed in a ryokan was a different experience. Onsen. Nature.

Thats an overview. Can answer detailed questions if anyone is interested!
We are planning to try the fire ramen too! Glad that you enjoyed it.

Yes we got the Hakone Free Pass. Left Kyoto and got to Odawara in 2 hours. Bought the 2 day free pass there and did the circuit.
We did half of it that first day then back to the ryokan to enjoy the onsen and relax. Then did the full circuit the next day.

Definitely worth staying overnight in a ryokan. Super relaxing and it also gives you 2 days to see Mount Fuji. Day 1 was blue skies and sunny. Day 2 was overcase and couldnt see Fuji. So always good to have 2 chances!
We’re doing the free pass but all in one day. Then we’re going to Kyoto the next day.

I'd be happy to comment on Magellan's. We made reservations prior to arriving as a perk of our 3-day package. IMHO, it was very overrated. The decor was amazing (but personally, I prefer something with some sort of a view). The service was outstanding and the food - good. As many reviewers have mentioned, the portions are small.
We much preferred our dinner in Bella Vista Lounge. The food was outstanding (in fact, the beef was better than in Magellan's), and the view of Fantasmic was excellent from almost any table in the venue.

If anyone is looking for other things to do with kids in Tokyo.... then I really loved going to Namjatown in Sunshine City Ikebukuro. Sunshine City is a multi-skyscraper complex tha thas an indoor shopping mall, an aquarium, zoo, planetarium, a 60th floor observation deck and an indoor theme park, Namjatown. There are two places to eat in Namjatwon: one is Gyoza Stadium where there a dozen gyoza vendors from all over Japan. The other is a dessert area with tons of exotic desserts, especially ice creams with Japanese flavors. There are also many games to play and a few indoor rides, though there may be a language barrier. The whole place is really somethign to see!

Can you please tell me more about the VR? My son loves VR and was sad when the Sandbox VR in Hong Kong was closed. We will be at TDR for 3 days starting Tuesday and then in Tokyo for Thur-Tuesday. We want to do conyerbelt sushi, Pokemon, Monster hunter Cafe, Alice on Wed, check out the technology and have fun exploring.

My active duty military son is heading to Tokyo Disney over Memorial Day weekend. Are there any tickets where you can visit both parks in one day? Are the two parks close to each other? Will it be crazy busy during that time? Any advice you can give him is much appreciated.

My active duty military son is heading to Tokyo Disney over Memorial Day weekend. Are there any tickets where you can visit both parks in one day? Are the two parks close to each other? Will it be crazy busy during that time? Any advice you can give him is much appreciated.

For 3 and 4 day tickets, the 3rd and 4th days include park hopping. For Disney hotel guests, there are special tickets for 2 days and more that include park hopping on all days. Otherwise, he may consider buying two separate tickets which is still cheaper than buying park hopper tickets or peak season one park tickets at the US parks. Park hopping in Tokyo via the monorail takes 20 to 35 minutes depending on where in the parks you are starting from and the monorail frequency at the time of the hop.

It is not likely to be busy by Tokyo standards but a weekend during slow season in Tokyo will often have higher wait times than similar weekends in other Disney parks.

For 3 and 4 day tickets, the 3rd and 4th days include park hopping. For Disney hotel guests, there are special tickets for 2 days and more that include park hopping on all days. Otherwise, he may consider buying two separate tickets which is still cheaper than buying park hopper tickets or peak season one park tickets at the US parks. Park hopping in Tokyo via the monorail takes 20 to 35 minutes depending on where in the parks you are starting from and the monorail frequency at the time of the hop.

It is not likely to be busy by Tokyo standards but a weekend during slow season in Tokyo will often have higher wait times than similar weekends in other Disney parks.

Thanks for your help. He will be staying at the Disney Ambassador. The only tickets I can see on line are one park, one day. Maybe he should wait till he gets to the hotel to see what tickets they offer.

Anyone know if there’s a military discount on the price of tickets?

Thanks for your help. He will be staying at the Disney Ambassador. The only tickets I can see on line are one park, one day. Maybe he should wait till he gets to the hotel to see what tickets they offer.

Anyone know if there’s a military discount on the price of tickets?
No discount.

Just wanted to say thank you. i am going to Tokyo with my husband in October and TDR is def part of our stay. we are thinking about just staying at the Celebration hotel for the 2 nights we are there. i know it's further away but since it has transportation and it's still a disney hotel.

when we are stay at WDW we have stayed at the value resorts without any issues. we just plan accordingly.

Just wanted to say thank you. i am going to Tokyo with my husband in October and TDR is def part of our stay. we are thinking about just staying at the Celebration hotel for the 2 nights we are there. i know it's further away but since it has transportation and it's still a disney hotel.

when we are stay at WDW we have stayed at the value resorts without any issues. we just plan accordingly.
I feel like the good neighbor hotels on the monorail loop might be a better value

Thanks. I need to look into it. I wonder if anyone knows if you have to prepay for your vacation package in advance...
You pay in full at booking for vacation package. We really like the Happy 15 perk. We were able to get the fastpasses for Pooh, Monster Inc and Toy Story with early return times, and stayed ahead of the crowds. Then we took an afternoon break before going back to the parks for night time parade and show like Fantasmic. We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel and it was convenient to go to Ikspiari for food.

Did you stay AirBnB in Kyoto/Osaka? Traveling next summer and planning to use AirBnB but now have 3 adults.

They are on opposite sides of Tokyo. You should allow a while to get between the 2. Teamlab is in Odaiba and there is a lot to do in that area. Its actually not too far from TDR. We did Teamlab in the morning and then went to TDR after lunch in Odaiba.
Hi...we are very keen to visit the Teamlab Borderless while visiting in September, but very nervous about traveling around Tokyo...our trip is literally 5 days in the parks and only 1 day for potential site seeing...but this really interests us to maybe venture out...you mention it is actually not too far from TDR...how did you travel there and how long did it take to get there?

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and answering everyones questions...I love reading reviews..especially when they are so detailed like yours is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!