Target Limits # of Disney Gift Cards per transaction?

Lali

Earning My Ears
We're taking a big Disney World vacation next month. We've been buying Disney gift cards at Target for the past several months in order to get the 5% Red Card discount. We've been buying $1000 worth of GCs at a time (twenty $50-cards or ten $100-cards, depending on their stock). We've never had an issue, except today, we suddenly get told that they can only sell 4 cards at a time! Um... we've purchased either 10 or 20 at a time on 6 previous occasions with no issue. Has anyone else had this annoyance?

We're taking a big Disney World vacation next month. We've been buying Disney gift cards at Target for the past several months in order to get the 5% Red Card discount. We've been buying $1000 worth of GCs at a time (twenty $50-cards or ten $100-cards, depending on their stock). We've never had an issue, except today, we suddenly get told that they can only sell 4 cards at a time! Um... we've purchased either 10 or 20 at a time on 6 previous occasions with no issue. Has anyone else had this annoyance?
Managers have the right to limit quantities on any item the store sells. Purchasing large quantities of GCs can be a way of quickly abusing a stolen CC. Limiting you to only 4 at a time mitigates the store's losses.

Yes, it's dependent on the manager. I can walk in ours and know whether it's going to be successful or not when I see the manager on duty :( The one 20 minutes away is much more flexible. I believe the online rule is no more than 3 but not sure b/c I don't shop on line on Target anymore.

I bought several hundred for my own trip a few months ago (maybe $600ish?) without a problem, but that is the most I've ever bought in a single transaction.

3 days ago on Friday I went back with my Mom, who wanted to get $2100 to pay for her room, but doesn't have a redcard. We told the cashier that we wanted to break it up into 5 transactions (4 at $500 and one for the last $100,) and why we were doing it, and it worked fine. I am pretty sure if we'd done all $2100 in a single transaction, the computer would have choked (which is silly since it's DEBIT with a pin, but I do understand they are just trying to avoid fraud.)

FWIW, there were only 4 $100 cards... so we bought 34 $50 cards!!! (And yes, it sucked combining them all on the site into 3 cards.) So we bought 10 per transaction for 3 of our transactions. There was a head cashier kind of hovering nearby, but it all went through without a problem... well, except that the receipt printer kept jamming, but I'm pretty sure that's not on us.

Bottom line, totally store/manager dependent.

Um... we've purchased either 10 or 20 at a time on 6 previous occasions with no issue. Has anyone else had this annoyance?

Store policies can change, so unfortunately having success on one trip doesn't always mean having success at the next. I used to work for target and we sometimes did this. People use gift cards as a way to launder money when they steal a credit card, that's why they do it. Target has to protect their losses (and managers need to protect their jobs). It sucks though because it's always the honest people that get screwed!

Yep, one of my local Target stores is really strict about that, and has been for quite awhile. I once tried to get them to allow double their normal limit on $50 Disney gift cards because they were out of $100 Disney gift cards, which made perfect sense to me, but they were having none of it. It's a hard and fast 4 like gift cards rule at that store, no discussion, no exceptions.

Just a warning; if all you buy is huge quantities of Disney gift cards, Target has the right to block your account. Which means you can never order online anymore

There can't be much profit margin for Target on gift card sales, the discount is probably offered as more of a customer service than anything, so I can understand them not being thrilled if someone is only purchasing gift cards, and large quantities at that.

I know people were banned when online gift card churning was going on. Have you heard of people being banned for only purchasing large quantities of gift cards lately? Just curious how that works.

I have almost always been asked for ID when purchasing a larger number of Disney gift cards at Target. I can't remember at what amount this kicked in (it may have been 4-$100 cards) as it has been a while since I purchased any gift cards. After a while, I got in the routine of having my ID ready, just in case.

I know people were banned when online gift card churning was going on. Have you heard of people being banned for only purchasing large quantities of gift cards lately? Just curious how that works.
Not lately. There's no giftcard paying with giftcard purchase online anymore and no double dipping with red card anymore.

I work retail---there is a scam running across the country that involves gift cards a lot of retail locations are limiting single purchase gift cards. I was not aware of Disney cards being on the list but this might be what is going on. Don't know where you are but they have hit Texas, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. The gift cards are being purchased with bogus payment types.

I work retail---there is a scam running across the country that involves gift cards a lot of retail locations are limiting single purchase gift cards. I was not aware of Disney cards being on the list but this might be what is going on. Don't know where you are but they have hit Texas, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. The gift cards are being purchased with bogus payment types.
Gift card scams happens every hr all across the countrt. Biggest way to take a stolen CC number, buy gift cards, sale them for cash.

Gift card scams happens every hr all across the countrt. Biggest way to take a stolen CC number, buy gift cards, sale them for cash.
What you are saying is true but this one is different. We have never put a limit on gift cards before. This is an organized ring that is working huge numbers. My store wants identification on any gift card purchases over $100. Our instructions were for Visa and Mastercard gift cards. But I don't work for Target so I can't say why their policy changed. Just thought I would throw this out there.

I have found it is a YMMV type thing. I know you can order 3 of the $100 and 3 of the $50 online at 1 time (and get 5% off if you use your red card). I also went into the store to buy $1000 worth. It was close the closing and the cashier had to ask a manager for permission, as it is a way people who steal CC. As soon as she saw I was buying Disney GC she asked me about my trip, and it was no issue!

I know this is a 1 year old thread, but wanted to share my experience with Target just today.

I always use the Disney GC's purchased with my Red debit to pay for our trips. Last year, when I was paying for my WDW trip, the $100 GCs were limited to 10 per transaction. (Ecards) Which was fine. This year, I am paying for a cruise in November. I noticed it now allows 20 GCs per transaction.(Ecards) I have been buying 11 at a time. I purchased 11 on Tuesday, the funds have not cleared my bank account yet. Tonight, I went to purchase my next 11 and it said there was a problem, to call customer service. That is how I found this thread. I googled if Target cuts you off after so many purchases.

She assured me it is only because the transaction from Tuesday is still pending, once that clears my bank, I will be free to purchase more gift cards.

Hope this helps. I do only use my Red debit card online for Disney GCs, but I buy other things with it in the stores.

I know this is a 1 year old thread, but wanted to share my experience with Target just today.

I always use the Disney GC's purchased with my Red debit to pay for our trips. Last year, when I was paying for my WDW trip, the $100 GCs were limited to 10 per transaction. (Ecards) Which was fine. This year, I am paying for a cruise in November. I noticed it now allows 20 GCs per transaction.(Ecards) I have been buying 11 at a time. I purchased 11 on Tuesday, the funds have not cleared my bank account yet. Tonight, I went to purchase my next 11 and it said there was a problem, to call customer service. That is how I found this thread. I googled if Target cuts you off after so many purchases.

She assured me it is only because the transaction from Tuesday is still pending, once that clears my bank, I will be free to purchase more gift cards.

Hope this helps. I do only use my Red debit card online for Disney GCs, but I buy other things with it in the stores.

I’ve been going through this same issue this week. Earlier in the week I did two orders of 5x$100 ecards. Then a couple of days later tried to get more and the transaction was declined. I called Redcard and they told me to wait for the transaction to clear my bank (debit) and then try again. I waited and it is still being declined. I called redcard again and they passed me to target.com who then passed me to gift card services. They state that the e-cards should mention that they have a limit on them and that I should use the Corporate Bulk gift card portion of target.com. When I went out there it specifically mentions that you should be a business to use it. Has anyone actually been told this and done it before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!