Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s posted on the News forum as being confirmed.

Poopy...

Daughter got to meet him, but we'll just miss him this trip with our son. Going in June. With all the extras they've been starting to charge for the last few years, you wouldn't think anything would need to be cut. Especially for something as popular as your main character. Sad and disappointing move.

:chat: This makes me sad. 4 y.o. was amazed talking to Mickey. I guess we can still do the hot dog dance with silent Mickey and just sing the song ourselves.:worried:

Oh, this is sad. In 2016, we waited 45 min to meet him and it was worth it! My Mickey loving son, who was 5 at the time, was amazed.

This is sad news for our family. Meeting Talking Mickey in MK is always one of the highlights of our trips. We’ve never encountered the occasional silent Mickey as others have mentioned. I guess we were lucky to talk with him all 100% of our visits.

Are there any refurbishments planned for the building? Or are they simply switching to a silent Mickey?

Anyone want to speculate if he’ll be brought back for special events? (MVMCP, MNSSHP, EMM, etc.)

Are there any refurbishments planned for the building? Or are they simply switching to a silent Mickey?

Anyone want to speculate if he’ll be brought back for special events? (MVMCP, MNSSHP, EMM, etc.)
They are just switching Mickey's.

Its possible he could be brought back out for special occasions but other than Parade tapings, major events, etc. it is unlikely.

Can we see Talking Mickey at DL?

They tested a talking Mickey, Minnie and Donald (all together) at a meet in the DCA park (next-door to Disneyland.)
However, it looks like the entire encounter is totally pre-recorded, and guests can't actually ask questions of the characters.
Guests can only answer/react to what the characters say to the guests.
(This would be MUCH easier and less costly than the Talking Mickey at MK.)
It was being tested in Oct. of 2017.
Don't know if this has been continued or if the test is over and the characters are not out.

Video HERE.

Last edited:
This is sad news for our family. Meeting Talking Mickey in MK is always one of the highlights of our trips. We’ve never encountered the occasional silent Mickey as others have mentioned. I guess we were lucky to talk with him all 100% of our visits.

We had 100% success with TM as well. Very disappointing.

That's too bad. My son refers to him as the real Mickey and isn't fond of the Mickey's at other parks

Honestly, this is what I don’t like about talking Mickey. The fact that a kid can notice that one talks but the others don’t. It makes it more apparent that there is a difference between talking Mickey and others. It’s much easier to convince a kid there is one Mickey who goes to different places around WDW when there isn’t a talking one.

That said, I am still sad this is going away. We had really magical experiences both times we met talking Mickey (on DD’s first birthday and shortly after DS first birthday.)

Now that my oldest is three, I was wondering how to explain to her why that Mickey talks and the others don’t. Even though we love talking Mickey and think he’s so magical, I don’t like the inconsistency of having both talking and non-talking Mickeys in the parks.

Did talking Mickey always have only canned responses?

Yes, I asked him a few questions that he apparently didn't have a script for, and usually his character handler was the one who answered them. But once I asked him his favorite type of cheese and he said "red". I guess he likes those red-plastic-wrapped mini-Babybel cheeses from the deli department.

I read on another board something about other Cast Members getting injured when it comes to TM, but KtheP (whoops) wouldn't elaborate. Anyone have an idea what he meant?

I read on another board something about other Cast Members getting injured when it comes to TM, but KtheP (whoops) wouldn't elaborate. Anyone have an idea what he meant?
The animated heads are very heavy - equivalent to supporting a bowling ball encasing your head. When adults and kids tug on Mickey’s ears, punch his head, or try to knock off his head, neck injuries result for the CM.

The onstage time for the CMs was decreased to lessen the stress on their bodies especially when whoever developed this meet and greet had them spinning like teacups, chugging around the room as a train, and flying around like Peter Pan.

All stage shows now use the lighter weight heads and they are pre-programmed and synced to the dialog. The CM only has to learn choreography. Talking Mickey’s blinks and smiles are controlled by the character performer so consists of a lot more tech.

Yes, I asked him a few questions that he apparently didn't have a script for, and usually his character handler was the one who answered them. But once I asked him his favorite type of cheese and he said "red". I guess he likes those red-plastic-wrapped mini-Babybel cheeses from the deli department.

Probably - as that is the official cheese of the WDW Resort!

What a bummer! Our son was in love with Talking Mickey at 6 months and again last month at 17 months. It just feels special when he sings the hot dog song and your little one is beaming at him. We took him to see him multiple times each trip (with 100% voice success). I'm sad that we won't be able to do this on our next trip or with other kids. :sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!