Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

This is devastating. The most magical part of our last trip was my 1.5 year old meeting talking Mickey for the first time. The photos we have still bring tears to my eyes. The sheer joy on her face when her beloved Mickey spoke to her is something we will never forget. He is amazing..... I know some of you feel I’m being melodramatic, but I feel like this is a HUGE loss. She won’t ever remember meeting talking Mickey. At least our 7 year old will.

Excuse my French, but screw you Disney.

This is devastating. The most magical part of our last trip was my 1.5 year old meeting talking Mickey for the first time. The photos we have still bring tears to my eyes. The sheer joy on her face when her beloved Mickey spoke to her is something we will never forget. He is amazing..... I know some of you feel I’m being melodramatic, but I feel like this is a HUGE loss. She won’t ever remember meeting talking Mickey. At least our 7 year old will.

Excuse my French, but screw you Disney.
I never saw him in person, but I just imagine the kids who speak different languages seeing Mickey speak to them in their language. I bet it's a lot like your experience. This does seem like a big loss.

I never saw him in person, but I just imagine the kids who speak different languages seeing Mickey speak to them in their language. I bet it's a lot like your experience. This does seem like a big loss.

It is seriously the most magical thing we’ve ever experienced at Disney World. I feel gutted. He made every encounter unique and special.

We were able to see him, sorta by accident, when we were there a couple weeks ago. Parade was going on, it was a 5 minute wait to see him, and we were like "oh here's Mickey, want to go in?" Didn't even think about it being the talking Mickey. Glad we got it checked off since we won't be back until next year.

I just told my husband the sad news, he is devastated! Talking Mickey was one of the highlights from our trip in 2015. :(

I'm still baffled by this decision. I keep reading about budget concerns and how costly it is to run TM. But, didn't the PM's do their due diligence when they were putting the budget together before releasing him to the public? I just can't seem to rationalize how this cost cutting measure came all of sudden. Maybe the foot traffic to see TM wasn't able to justify the cost of running him?

Here I was thinking the CM (Mickey) actually spoke (using a voice changer) and came up with his lines on the spot. It felt so interactive.

Its been a long time since I've posted on a talking Mickey thread, Disney has a patent for just that kind of device but its not used here.

I'm still baffled by this decision. I keep reading about budget concerns and how costly it is to run TM. But, didn't the PM's do their due diligence when they were putting the budget together before releasing him to the public? I just can't seem to rationalize how this cost cutting measure came all of sudden. Maybe the foot traffic to see TM wasn't able to justify the cost of running him?
He was popular. Disney and other companies make cost cutting moves all the time. When something costs a lot for little return they cut it out. This is one of those times. They can get away with the cheaper regular Mickey.

I'm really confused. It appears TM was very popular, but yet costs too much? How popular does TM have to be to break even or have a positive ROI? Maybe the marketing of TM could have been more aggressive if they weren't driving enough traffic and guests to him.

I'm really confused. It appears TM was very popular, but yet costs too much? How popular does TM have to be to break even or have a positive ROI? Maybe the marketing of TM could have been more aggressive if they weren't driving enough traffic and guests to him.
Meet and greets don’t really make money specifically. Meet and greets also change all the time. So talking Mickey could return at some point he’s just going away for now.

As long as there is still a Mickey there, I guess I don't care too much. Would it have been fun to check it out? yes. But at my kids young age, they probably would have been scared :) (Thus why I've skipped it on my last few visits).

Though I still think they need to explore more uses of Magic Band interaction like they used here or on a select rides. Simple things (cheaper things) than a talking Meet and Greet could be just as magical.

I'll chime in with the people who are upset Talking Mickey is being taken away. My sister and I both thought he was a highlight of our trips. We are both adults but I remember how excited I was when I heard him talk for the first time.

At Hallowishes he told my sister a silly Halloween joke and did a magic trick with her and it was quite honestly the best meet and greet we've ever had.

I was really looking forward to seeing him again when we return in November. Poop.

I thought one of the attractions of the entire FP+/MyMagic+ system being implemented was 'magic' moments like these? That a "talking mickey" or other interactive system would be cheaper to run than a new ride. Or better crowd management...(look at all the posts regarding that lately).

Here we are just a few years after a bumpy roll out and they're cutting back on this stuff already.

I thought one of the attractions of the entire FP+/MyMagic+ system being implemented was 'magic' moments like these? That a "talking mickey" or other interactive system would be cheaper to run than a new ride. Or better crowd management...(look at all the posts regarding that lately).

Here we are just a few years after a bumpy roll out and they're cutting back on this stuff already.

Hmm - I think that they are using my magic / FP+ to the fullest with their crowd management! They never want 10-20 minute lines..they want 30 min lines...that gets you into the parks for more (longer) days. In Disney’s eyes - I think that they are doing exactly what they said THEY would wrt crowd management...its just not what’s WE would have wanted for crowd management!

I do hope they find a way to make a new experience as magical as this one was!

When I went, I counted 5-6 including Mickey. That leaves 3-4 presumably behind the scenes.

Here I was thinking the CM (Mickey) actually spoke (using a voice changer) and came up with his lines on the spot. It felt so interactive.
Disney has a patent on a "heads up" display actuated by a mouth controlled mouse. The patent says it can be used in character outfits. So it is the general consensus that that is how it is done. However, if you look on youtube, you can find videos of Talking Mickey at Disneyland, and it seems he is actually responding, without canned phrases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter